Couple of questions about Jimmy Page

DanielTA

Let's not play Stump the Dummy. Your question presumes he has one, your emoticon suggests you already know the answer your seeking.

Sorry I think there's a misunderstanding here Mr. Jones... I just read (can't remember on what thread) that he has a suspended driver's license but I really don't know why... I'm just thinking maybe I asked a question that's already have been answered by someone on the forum.

Jimmy has owned some very nice cars over the years, at least one of which was auctioned off at the Royal Albert Hall many years ago. Charlie Watts of The Rolling Stones, who lives near Lewes (and not far from Jimmy's former home Plumpton Place) also owns numerous

cars despite never having learned to drive.

Jimmy had a blender in his hotel room when the '77 tour got underway (Mar 1977) and told a journalist in Chicago (April 1977) he was off solids. How serious he was at that moment one cannot say, but I can tell you he was on solids while touring, (to include hamburgers!) following his return from mid-tour break in Cairo (May 1977) if not earlier.

Edit: Jimmy underwent abdominal surgery for a twisted colon in mid-August 1988 which

postponed the start of his 1988 North American tour.

I thought he was a vegetarian. Since I worked in surgery a few years I will exam his abdominal extremity for a scar, nasty surgery=twisted colon! :(

It's probably a good question to ask on lashtal.com also. I'll see what they say.

Thanks very much, Allison! When you have the time, I'm still interested in reading that Hardy's Wessex paper by a brilliant California professor... :)

Thanks very much, Allison! When you have the time, I'm still interested in reading that Hardy's Wessex paper by a brilliant California professor... :)

No luck on lashtal yet. And if you don't mind the unrevised version, it'll come along shortly. :D

Thanks for asking the folks on lashtal, A.

The admin says that Equinox only published two works: the Hickey book you've already told us about, and a 1976 facsimile of the Goetia. And he or she mentions that there's an article about the bookstore in the current (Vernal Equinox) issue of Bechtel magazine.

Thanks for asking the folks on lashtal, A.

The admin says that Equinox only published two works: the Hickey book you've already told us about, and a 1976 facsimile of the Goetia. And he or she mentions that there's an article about the bookstore in the current (Vernal Equinox) issue of Behutet magazine.

Pleasure! Paul (the admin/owner) has a vast store of Thelemic-related knowledge. Interesting that one of the other posters reports having visited the shop in 1974, confirming the possibility whole Bebe/Krissie/Charlotte episode in all of its complicated glory.

Interesting that one of the other posters reports having visited the shop in 1974, confirming the possibility whole Bebe/Krissie/Charlotte episode in all of its complicated glory.

I look forward to reviewing the post(s); if accurate/correct it does afford the possibility.

^Indeed! The Equinox periodical of which you speak was edited and largely written by no less fabulous a figure than Perdurabo, aka Aleister Crowley, himself. Weiser has a nice bound edition for all the issues for a mere $200, and there's also an earlier, several vol. set which tends to go for $500 or so on rare book sites.

I've never heard about him having stage fright... strange.

I don't know if I would go so far as to call it stage fright...just nerves. Understandable.

He usually preferred to get onstage without too much hanging around. The Atlantic

Records 40th Anniversary Reunion was one example of what happens when he gets

stuck backstage for hours on end.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just reading Marianne Faithfull's autobiography again (great book) and she wrote a quick paragraph on Jimmy Page which I found interesting:

"It was during my third tour and I was suffering from nervous exhaustion. I was drained and homesick. In the hotel room next to mine Jimmy Page and Jackie De Shannon were having a very hot romance. Jimmy I knew because he'd played on the sessions for 'As Tears Go By'. He played on almost all my sessions in the sixties, but he was very dull in those days. This was before he went away and became interesting. I guess what he was doing in that hotel room was getting interesting (having an affair with Jackie De Shannon is a good place to start!). She was born interesting. She was brassy, a bit tarty and naturally very beautiful., but she had her hair all frizzed and wore tons of make-up. You could see from the moment you met her she had been distorted and thwarted by showbiz, like a beautiful woman who'd been forced into a corset and twisted".

So is that how Jimmy came to work with Burt Bacharach? Through Jackie? Because she recorded that song of his.

Well, Jimmy had been a fan of Burt's work for years. There are similarities between Burt's 'Black Water Side' and Jimmy's 'Black Mountainside'. Can't say for certain if Jackie can take any credit for them working together. After all, Big Jim Sullivan and Jimmy Page were London's premier studio session guitarists.

Well, Jimmy had been a fan of Burt's work for years. There are similarities between Burt's 'Black Water Side' and Jimmy's 'Black Mountainside'. Can't say for certain if Jackie can take any credit for them working together. After all, Big Jim Sullivan and Jimmy Page were London's premier studio session guitarists.

Did Burt Bacharach do Blackwaterside? I thought it was Bert Jansch...

Did Burt Bacharach do Blackwaterside? I thought it was Bert Jansch...

What the hell am I thinking at 4am? :lol: Yes, it was of course Bert Jansch. I presume his

work with Burt Bacharach was just another session in a long line of sessions. Apologies!

What the hell am I thinking at 4am? :lol: Yes, it was of course Bert Jansch. I presume his

work with Burt Bacharach was just another session in a long line of sessions. Apologies!

I was going to say, I never knew Jimmy was a fan of Burt Bacharach! I think I'm disappointed now...

I can see him having cats in a domestic situation where he's not on the road as often.

I don't see him having a dog at all as their barking shatters the tranquility.

Actually, he has had pet dogs...one was called 'Cookie' ( very small yorkshire terrier I think it was)...there was also a very big one. This was when he was first at Windsor)

From memory I believe 'Cookie" was named after a German promoter who promised to show Zep a good time when they visited one of the German cities on the 1980 tour * sorry i forget which city) ...but he sadly died just before they hit town...or just after.

Archived