Slate Chocolate Marble
Slate Chocolate Marble

Led Zeppelin Official Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

SteveAJones

Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

5,631 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

I'm away from my notes at the moment, not that I have many on Brian Goode, who remained very much out of the limelight and by many accounts in way over his head. Off the top of my head, his management began during The Firm era and ended in 1994 after Jimmy joined forces with Bill Curbishley, who was Robert's manager at the time. I do know it was Brian who took the call from Rod McSween in January 1991 to inquire if Jimmy was interested in collaborating with David Coverdale. I'm not sure if Brian was interviewed for Barney Hoskyns' book, but he may have been.

The date of Jimmy's return to England remains shrouded in mystery. Some have alleged he was in New Orleans when Robert received the call, while others insist he was still in California. Bill Graham attested to a $25K cash advance at the San Francisco Hilton immediately being provided to a heroin dealer the afternoon prior to the Day on the Green concerts in Oakland, so it's plausible (though speculative) Jimmy was in no condition to travel to New Orleans or anywhere else for a few days. JPJ, his wife and daughters were travelling in a Winnebago and left Oakland soon after the second concert, so it's plausible they were on the road and out of contact at the time Robert returned to England. We know Peter remained in New Orleans to handle postponement and eventual cancellation of the remaining dates. We know Jimmy, JPJ and Peter were not at the funeral but I have always refrained from armchair quarterbacking them or their personal decisions in what was obviously a very tragic and difficult time.   

How long was it until the next concert day after Oakland?  Just wondering because if JPJ was gone in a Winnebago with his family, when was he do to be at the next show?

22 hours ago, Boleskinner said:

Why would you read something 100 times if you think it's so bad?

Because of the time it came out there was a total lack of information of any of the details about the band. You have to remember this is before the Internet existed so they were no webpages, no blogs etc.    Even though it is a poorly written book, I did  enjoy reading it for some of the details about the early days, the early shows and the crowd reactions to them etc.    Even now when I know some of the events are blown out proportion and exaggerated, I recently went back and read it yet again  because I was looking for something in the book that I thought was there even though it wasn't.   I don't know if you could chalk  it up to being poorly written or poorly edited.

Hello. Any books on how Zeppelin wrote their songs? Something like "Paul McCartney: Many Years From Now"? Thank you.

On 2/15/2017 at 0:44 PM, jasonlovesvids said:

How long was it until the next concert day after Oakland?  Just wondering because if JPJ was gone in a Winnebago with his family, when was he do to be at the next show?

The second Oakland show was Sun, July 24th. Their next show, New Orleans, was scheduled for Sat, Jul 30th.

2 hours ago, Mr_K said:

Hello. Any books on how Zeppelin wrote their songs? Something like "Paul McCartney: Many Years From Now"? Thank you.

The Complete Guide to the Music of Led Zeppelin by Dave Lewis (1994), When The Levee Breaks: The Making of Led Zeppelin IV by Andy Fyfe (2003), and Led Zeppelin - Dazed And Confused: The Stories Behind Every Song by Chris Welch (2006) are your best bets.

On 3/15/2017 at 11:36 PM, SteveAJones said:

The second Oakland show was Sun, July 24th. Their next show, New Orleans, was scheduled for Sat, Jul 30th.

The Complete Guide to the Music of Led Zeppelin by Dave Lewis (1994), When The Levee Breaks: The Making of Led Zeppelin IV by Andy Fyfe (2003), and Led Zeppelin - Dazed And Confused: The Stories Behind Every Song by Chris Welch (2006) are your best bets.

Thanks! I'll check them out.

Where & when was this taken?

black-kit.JPG

10 minutes ago, Mook said:

black-kit.JPG

Looks like Halloween judging from the gorilla suit. LOL.

Is that taken at the gig Plant played with a pub rock band in Worcestershire sometime in 1978? Iirc it was the first time he'd been on stage since Oakland '77. Bonzo sat in on drums for a couple of numbers too I think.

1 hour ago, Mook said:

black-kit.JPG

It's allegedly a jam with a local band circa 1980, but I don't have any other details.

42 minutes ago, 76229 said:

Is that taken at the gig Plant played with a pub rock band in Worcestershire sometime in 1978? Iirc it was the first time he'd been on stage since Oakland '77. Bonzo sat in on drums for a couple of numbers too I think.

Robert Plant's first public performance since Oakland '77 was in July 1978 when he sat in with local Midlands band Melvin's Marauders (aka Melvin Giganticus and the Turd Burglers) at the Wolverly Memorial Hall in Worcestershire, however John Bonham was not there.

http://www.wolverleymemorialhall.org/

3 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

It's allegedly a jam with a local band circa 1980, but I don't have any other details.

Robert Plant's first public performance since Oakland '77 was in July 1978 when he sat in with local Midlands band Melvin's Marauders (aka Melvin Giganticus and the Turd Burglers) at the Wolverly Memorial Hall in Worcestershire, however John Bonham was not there.

http://www.wolverleymemorialhall.org/

Thanks.

It looks earlier than 1980 to me but I could well be wrong (wouldn't be the first time).

Something I've always been wondering about: apparently the Tour Over Europe was originally supposed to have two shows in Berlin (on July 7th and 8th), but the latter one was cancelled. Why did this happen? I vaguely recall hearing that it was due to sluggish ticket sales, which somewhat surprised me. Is this true?

Furthermore, on The Year of Led Zeppelin blog entry for the last show, someone named Greg Wilkinson claims this:

I was a Army medic stationed in Berlin back in July of 1980, and this concert wasn't on 7-7-80. It was suppose to be on that day but the concert was postponed for a week until 7-14-1980

Is this true? If so, why was it postponed a week?

2 hours ago, Mook said:

Thanks.

It looks earlier than 1980 to me but I could well be wrong (wouldn't be the first time).

It's quite possibly a photo-shopped image. If we do find a different Bonham shot that matches from the neck up we'll know it's a hoax.

31 minutes ago, ZepHead315 said:

Something I've always been wondering about: apparently the Tour Over Europe was originally supposed to have two shows in Berlin (on July 7th and 8th), but the latter one was cancelled. Why did this happen? I vaguely recall hearing that it was due to sluggish ticket sales, which somewhat surprised me. Is this true?

Furthermore, on The Year of Led Zeppelin blog entry for the last show, someone named Greg Wilkinson claims this:

Is this true? If so, why was it postponed a week?

Two shows in Berlin do appear on the tour itinerary (I believe we've discussed this in the forum before...search function may reveal it) but the second show was never advertised nor were tickets ever sold for it so it's not a cancelled date so much as it is a proposed date.

Greg Wilkinson's claim that the Berlin show was performed 7/14/80 is completely false and unworthy of further comment. 

13 hours ago, Mook said:

black-kit.JPG

This was taken in New Orleans in Feb/March 1975, while they stayed there during some time off. I have a couple of other photos of this jam as well.

23 minutes ago, sam_webmaster said:

This was taken in New Orleans in Feb/March 1975, while they stayed there during some time off. I have a couple of other photos of this jam as well.

Brilliant, thanks.

3 hours ago, sam_webmaster said:

Mardi Gras?

1 hour ago, IpMan said:

Mardi Gras?

Reasonable guess! Looks like a right hot and uncomfortable outfit! 

6 hours ago, sam_webmaster said:

:thumbsup:  

Great to see confirmation it's authentic!

According to the April 1975 issue of Buddy magazine, Bonham remained behind at the Registry Hotel in Dallas each time the band was flown back to New Orleans from Dallas, which would indeed place this sometime between Feb 20-Mar 2 '75.

Steve,

What is the story behind Bonzo's Montreux in September 1976? Was Bonzo was there alone, and Jimmy later added his electronic treatments from his home studio for Coda, or was jimmy in Montreux with Bonzo? I wonder what inspired Bonzo to record this? Know all were tax exiles in 1976, think the Bonhams were in the South of France, so wondered why Bonzo made the trip to Switzerland, and the general story of recording this drum solo.

8 hours ago, And You Know How It Is? said:

Steve,

What is the story behind Bonzo's Montreux in September 1976? Was Bonzo was there alone, and Jimmy later added his electronic treatments from his home studio for Coda, or was jimmy in Montreux with Bonzo? I wonder what inspired Bonzo to record this? Know all were tax exiles in 1976, think the Bonhams were in the South of France, so wondered why Bonzo made the trip to Switzerland, and the general story of recording this drum solo.

Jimmy Page was with him in Montreux, I read an interview quite recently with him where he discussed the trip briefly, it might've been in MOJO magazine.

Here it is...

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/led-zeppelins-jimmy-page-john-bonhams-death-was-a-massive-loss-to-everybody/

Said Page: "[John] and I were really good pals. We were really, really close in our musical collaboration, if you want… the camaraderie. And just the sheer fact that, you know… 'Bonzo's Montreux' [the drum solo by John Bonham, which is the seventh track on the band's final studio album, 'Coda'] says it all, really. It was just the two of us working on it over there in the studio."

13 hours ago, And You Know How It Is? said:

Steve,

Mook's posts provide the essential truth.

Aside from that, the South of France is not that far from Montreux so they could have easily agreed to meet up before returning to England.

Posted (edited)

Is someone hoarding a video of P/P playing in India?

Got this from a transcript between mega fans in Japan having a discussion (don't ask)

"Hidden image, problem ant" (Book) "Is India a video circle?" (Y) " 10 seconds! Eric has it" (E) "That's on air on CNN, only 10 seconds.     Jimmy is hardly seen, only Robert can see. Do you want it? " (Book) "I want it but 10 seconds or so (laugh)" (E) "After all, if it is called rare video , it is ○ ○ ○ ○ It is 73 years old? (Y) "It's 72 years, that's what you are doing an acoustic set" (E) "It's only about one minute, but it's sooooo good (laugh)" (Y) "Yes, I can not see anything !" (E) "I'm told to the owner" Do not trade ".     Wow, I do not want anyone to give out (laugh) (Book) "Do you understand it as ZEPP? With such picture quality" (Y) "I understand you have an acoustic guitar" (E) "I understand that there are four people (laugh), but I do not know who it is" (Book) " Brothers Four It is not supposed to be (laugh)" (Y) "There are 8 mm of ZEPP's 71-year visit to Japan, taken by a friend of Mr. Intermediate" (Middle) "Oh, that (laugh) Something, just a golden thing is just staggering " (All) "(Laughing)" (Book) "Is that the head of Robert?" (E) "Yeah, it's swanking (laugh)"

SAJ in Japanese if you want

『秘蔵映像、問題アリ』

(本)「そのインドって、Videoは出回っているんですか?」
(Y)「エリックが持ってます」
(E)「そ、CNNでオンエアしたの、10秒だけ。
    Jimmyはほとんど写ってなくて、見えるのはRobertだけ。欲しい?」
(本)「欲しい! けど、10秒か~(笑)」
(E)「あと、と言えば○○○○だネ。あれ、73年のかな?」
(Y)「72年だよ、あれ。アコースティックセットをやってるもの」
(E)「これ、1分くらいしかないんだけど、すっごくキタナ~い(笑)」
(Y)「そう、の!」
(E)「持ち主に『トレードに出さないで』って言われてるんだけど。
    いやー、出しても誰も欲しがらないって(笑)」
(本)「ZEPPだと分かるの?そんな画質で」
(Y)「アコースティック・ギターを持ってるのは分かるんですよ」
(E)「一応、4人いるのも分かる(笑)でも、誰が誰だか分からな~い」
(本)「かも知れないじゃない(笑)」
(Y)「中間さんの友達が撮った、ZEPPの71年来日公演の8ミリがあるんですって?」
(中)「あー、あれね(笑)なんか、だけっていう」
(全)「(爆笑)」
(本)「それってRobertの頭?」
(E)「そう、ピンボケまくりなの(笑)」

Edited by TheStairwayRemainsTheSame

"golden thing is just staggering "

"(Laughing)" 

"Is that the head of Robert?"

"Yeah, it's swanking"

you sure this is a video of LZ playing music they're talking about?!!

#NSFW?

On 21/04/2017 at 4:49 PM, 76229 said:

"golden thing is just staggering "

"(Laughing)" 

"Is that the head of Robert?"

"Yeah, it's swanking"

you sure this is a video of LZ playing music they're talking about?!!

#NSFW?

I'm sure the Japanese source text creates a less silly scene 

I came across this video on Reddit. The last 25 seconds feature Richard Cole and a concert promoter discussing payment for the show. The promoter opens what appears to be a briefcase full of cash, but then Cole shuts it, not wanting it to be shown on camera. My question is...why was this filmed in the first place? Why throw in this random bit when the rest of the video shows the band arriving at the gig and a brief performance from the gig? Why would the concert promoter demand the money transaction be filmed? It just seems rather odd.