Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
henrybonzo

What did they think of other bands

Recommended Posts

Strange, I've never read Page disliking Pink Floyd, and I'm pretty sure in a pre-Knebworth interview he mentions them favorably. Page loved jazz guitar pioneer Django Reinhardt, and you can hear why, Django played fast and fiery, not

old man jazz. Jimmy also loved Clarence White of the Byrds, an earlier user of the Tele B-bender, which Jimmy adopted

later. Jimmy also thought much of the San Francisco psychedelic scene was laughable. Robert and Jimmy loved

Roy Harper, a folk-protest artist who was quite an acquired taste for most listeners. Jimmy thought Hendrix was a

genius, and in fact Hendrix wanted to get Bonzo to play with him. Jimmy and Robert really liked Bob Marley and the Wailers, early on in fact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/6/2008 at 8:56 AM, bonzovonludwig said:

Bonzo was friends of the guys from ELO and Sabbath(There's a pic in Thunder Of Drums showing Bonzo

standing with Tony Iommi and Ozzy. I think Bev Bevan and Jeff Lynne are in the same pic) :D

can u post that picture?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/24/2017 at 4:00 PM, EaglesOfOneNest said:

I really, really dislike Fleetwood Mac, I don't know why, they just set my teeth on edge. At any rate, I remember reading something Jason said about his dad really liking them and playing a Fleetwood Mac 8-track in the car taking him to his motocross events when he wasn't on tour and re-thinking everything positive I had ever thought about Bonzo! Kidding, of course!

Remember, the (original) Fleetwood Mac was a blues-based band, with different members (Peter Green on guitars ) and playing a very different style of music versus the pop version of the band it morphed into that we all know today with Buckingham & Nicks.

R😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, reids said:

Remember, the (original) Fleetwood Mac was a blues-based band, with different members (Peter Green on guitars ) and playing a very different style of music versus the pop version of the band it morphed into that we all know today with Buckingham & Nicks.

R😎

I reckon Bonham might've quite liked the mid/late 70s Fleetwood Mac, it was late 70s when he was taking Jason to the motocross events which would add up.

He was a big Cat Stevens fan as well, I don't think it was all James Brown & Alphonse Mouzon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mook said:

I don't think it was all James Brown & Alphonse Mouzon.

It's still a musical fantasy of mine to see a drum-off between Bonzo & Clyde Stubblefield though. If only...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, 76229 said:

It's still a musical fantasy of mine to see a drum-off between Bonzo & Clyde Stubblefield though. If only...

Clyde Stubbelfield ? never heard that name, must google it.....Ok, James Brown's drummer. soul music has never been my thing that explains it... I'll check him out on YouTube..

Edited by JTM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, JTM said:

Clyde Stubbelfield ? never heard that name, must google it.....Ok, James Brown's drummer. soul music has never been my thing that explains it... I'll check him out on YouTube..

Take it to the bridge? Where's that confounded bridge?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, reids said:

Remember, the (original) Fleetwood Mac was a blues-based band, with different members (Peter Green on guitars ) and playing a very different style of music versus the pop version of the band it morphed into that we all know today with Buckingham & Nicks.

R😎

Yes.  The old Fleetwood Mac could put out some pretty good jams live.  (Got no use for the better known pop lineup.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, JTM said:

Clyde Stubbelfield ? never heard that name, must google it.....Ok, James Brown's drummer. soul music has never been my thing that explains it... I'll check him out on YouTube..

Check out 'Funky Drummer', it's his signature tune & I think the most sampled drum track of all time.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mook said:

Check out 'Funky Drummer', it's his signature tune & I think the most sampled drum track of all time.

 

I used to see Clyde pretty often. He lived in Madison WI, and played with some friends of mine in a band called the B3 Bombers. He had that incredible feel and pocket and was a very nice dude. Zep loved JB!! The theramin jam section in WLL basically became a tribute to him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, porgie66 said:

I used to see Clyde pretty often. He lived in Madison WI, and played with some friends of mine in a band called the B3 Bombers. He had that incredible feel and pocket and was a very nice dude. Zep loved JB!! The theramin jam section in WLL basically became a tribute to him. 

A mate of mine made a film about a JBs (I think) trip to Scotland & he said Clyde Stubblefield was as nice & as down to Earth a bloke as you could meet.

I didn't get the chance to meet him unfortunately, having said that I got the chance to meet Billy Cobham once & hid behind an amp instead.

The James Brown stuff is absolutely brilliant, I defy anyone with ears not to like Mother Popcorn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty sure this is the track/album Bonham was playing to at the Riot House in '75, causing the guests on floors below to flock to the front desk with their noise complaints. I imagine the building was shaking a bit...:lol:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mind Transplant is a great album.

Someone else on here (can't remember who) said it was the Funky Snakefoot (also Alphonse Mouzon) album Bonham was playing in the hotel, I think he referenced one of the many Zeppelin books as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We know they were also very influenced by both Joni Mitchell and CSN&Y. In fact, I'd go as far to say that Plant got his "it makes me wonder" line (which he turned into a refrain), from the song Deja Vu. I also think Zeppelins live 'sit down acoustic sets' were directly inspired by CS&N 

Edited by blindwillie127

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mook said:

Mind Transplant is a great album.

Someone else on here (can't remember who) said it was the Funky Snakefoot (also Alphonse Mouzon) album Bonham was playing in the hotel, I think he referenced one of the many Zeppelin books as well.

It's in the "LZ - 75" book by Stephen Salacious. Has the ring of truth about it though... On the topic of James Brown's drummers Mook, there's a lovely interview here with both Clyde and Jabo Starks

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, blindwillie127 said:

We know they were also very influenced by both Joni Mitchell and CSN&Y. In fact, I'd go as far to say that Plant got his "it makes me wonder" line (which he turned into a refrain), from the song Deja Vu. I also think Zeppelins live 'sit down acoustic sets' were directly inspired by CS&N 

Aye!  Bonzo also was mentioned playing along with Joni Mitchell's Court And Spark album. Maybe in Thunder Of Drums or Mick Bonham's book, I don't recall for sure .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if this has anything to do with Bonham's opinions on Peter Frampton, but its funny as hell none the less. Sorry for going off topic:

 

Edited by blindwillie127

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×