GOD, just who the fcuk is He/She?

BIGDAN

Hi All,

The one Topic that will surely set the Cat amongst the Canaries hey?

Who the fcuk is He/She/It?

Whether you have been brought up in a Judo/Christo/Muslimo household or are a Hindu/Sikh, or even a Confused Confusion, your perception and belief of what GOD is, is unique to you, so lets be truthful and share our beliefs amongst friends and have an orderly discussion, if that's possible.

OK, I'll start then shall I?

I think "GOD" is a self centered twat who doesn't give a shit about Humanity and all its sufferings and I base that on all my experiences of my Catholic upbringing and my interaction with other religions throughout my life.

There, I've really done it this time haven't I?

Happy Debating.

Regards, Danny

OK, I'll start then shall I? I think "GOD" is a self centered twat who doesn't give a shit about Humanity and all its sufferings and I base that on all my experiences of my Catholic upbringing and my interaction with other religions throughout my life.

My thoughts exactly!! If I would even believe in gods existence!! I'm really not into further discussions right now! Let's see how the topic develops!

Anyway for a second I thought the topic is about some wonderful chick and you wanted to know her name! But then I realised you were wondering about gender aswell and I got a bit confused!! :hysterical:

Hi All,

The one Topic that will surely set the Cat amongst the Canaries hey?

Who the fcuk is He/She/It?

Whether you have been brought up in a Judo/Christo/Muslimo household or are a Hindu/Sikh, or even a Confused Confusion, your perception and belief of what GOD is, is unique to you, so lets be truthful and share our beliefs amongst friends and have an orderly discussion, if that's possible.

OK, I'll start then shall I?

I think "GOD" is a self centered twat who doesn't give a shit about Humanity and all its sufferings and I base that on all my experiences of my Catholic upbringing and my interaction with other religions throughout my life.

There, I've really done it this time haven't I?

Happy Debating.

Regards, Danny

what a topic! hat's off, ole buddy...

i was raised a Christian, with family in the methodist and catholic persuasions. my dad forced me to go to all the other churches in my hometown and i continued that search by attending services in a mosque and a synagogue. in my early 20's, i'd had enough. science was golden and religion was bullshit. only my fear of eternal roasting in hell kept me from entering religion as a business, raising the kind of riches only evangelicals can do in the snap of a finger...

i was eating dinner at the ole spagetti facoty off the levee in st. louis, mo with my first wife and her two female cousins, both of which were devout members of the assembly of God in my hometown. a severe, brainthrobbing headache broke me down, causing me to ask if i could be taken to the hospital, that's how bad it was. my wife's cousin laid her hands on me in the middle of the restaraunt, prayed for the alliveation of my pain in front of a hundred or so friday night eaters, and cast the demon outa me. the pain demon, that is. the spike in my forehead was removed, my pain suddenly evaporated, and i ordered 2 extra desserts to celebrate....

that said, organized religion has been the cause of more deaths that the plague, cancer, and drunk driving combined. i pass...

but i must admit that i often feel the presense of the Lord in my own life....

an excellent book on the subject: "the history of God" by karen armstrong

I agree with the above poster, a very interesting topic Danny.

I was brought up Church of England which really equates to having no faith at all! Personally I am an atheist now and don't believe in a God as a sentient supreme being.

I think God represents the compassion, love and empathy that is within us all as human beings (and also within animals). When people say they feel the 'presence' of God or the Lord in their lives I think it's the love of those around them that they feel. God, to me, is our conscious minds.

I hope that makes sense and doesn't sound too soppy! :rolleyes:

i was eating dinner at the ole spagetti facoty off the levee in st. louis.

Eh I have found Memories eating at the Old Spag Factory at various places in Cananda and the U.S :), sorry to make this series topic trivial :)

I didn't have a religious upbringing, my Dad a musician, and was a Bohemian, but didn't put his views about religion on me either way. I at certain times thought there might be, then at times I thought maybe I am Agnostic, but as time has gone on, I realise there isn't any God, Its a way herding all the sheep up and keep people inline, scare them about going to Hell or whatever and Keep ordinary folk down so that they believe that their sad misarable life (not everyone) will be worth it because when you die you go to the promised land.

I would like to think we are all individuals ( I'm not), we don't need to follow anyone (Religion according to LIfe of Brian).

Having said all that I wouldn't I would never judge someone if they want to belive and if thier religion makes them happy, gets them through then thats cool, but I am a realist and know we are not that important to think yes there is an after life, there isn't (well thats what I think) and am very happy to think that. :).

So who is God, I guess its whoever you choose to follow., and as "Magic fills the Air" says , its in your heart, we can be a good or bad person without God, maybe God is us or the Devil who knows.

PS I lived and worked out in The Middle East for 3 years and swa firsthand another religion going on, I found the locals mostly welcoming and lovely, but with certain people if you talked about God (Allah in anything but nice terms or talked about Christianity, ehn at times you could feel the hate, as some would say, if this was Saudi or Iran, my throat would have been cut.Luckily it wasn't and was in Oman which was much more relaxed than the heavy duty countries nearby.

i was raised a Christian, with family in the methodist and catholic persuasions. my dad forced me to go to all the other churches in my hometown and i continued that search by attending services in a mosque and a synagogue. in my early 20's, i'd had enough. science was golden and religion was bullshit. only my fear of eternal roasting in hell kept me from entering religion as a business, raising the kind of riches only evangelicals can do in the snap of a finger...

i was eating dinner at the ole spagetti facoty off the levee in st. louis, mo with my first wife and her two female cousins, both of which were devout members of the assembly of God in my hometown. a severe, brainthrobbing headache broke me down, causing me to ask if i could be taken to the hospital, that's how bad it was. my wife's cousin laid her hands on me in the middle of the restaraunt, prayed for the alliveation of my pain in front of a hundred or so friday night eaters, and cast the demon outa me. the pain demon, that is. the spike in my forehead was removed, my pain suddenly evaporated, and i ordered 2 extra desserts to celebrate....

that said, organized religion has been the cause of more deaths that the plague, cancer, and drunk driving combined. i pass...

You might believe god took the pain away, but did you ever thought, that he didn't have to give it to you in the first place, if he would be so good!!

If you look at the world, god couldn't posibly be just good, because he would be responsible for all this evil! He would also be responsible for all the evil

that people do!! Becaue he could create only good people and free will would still exist, because people could still choose between good and evil

and if nobody would pick evil, that doesn't mean free will wouldn't exist anymore.

Epicureus proved 200 years B.C. that god(s) can't exist on a logical basis! Why? Because by definition god is perfect!! And if god is perfect, then the world should be pertfect. But the world is NOT perfect! So if the world is not perfect, then also god is not perfect. And if god is not perfect, then it is not god!! So even if some creature beyond our senses exists, it is not god, because the world is not perfect! And only us humans can deciede if the world is perfect or not and until one person thinks the world is not perfect, then it is not!

And there is just so much violence and murder and rape in The bible, done or ordered by God and the Bible supports slavery and killing of homosexuals and lots of it are just gibberish stories telling nothing, teaching nothing! The God in the old testament is this violent and jeaolus creature, more of a psychopat, then an overall and morally perfect being.

The new testament is over emphasising empathy, which indeed is very important, but not to the point, where you start to destroy yourself,

by helping others and not to the point, where weakness and poverty is desirable in society, instead of personal strength and living life to it's fullest

as Nietzsche has put it!

Some moral priciples in The Bible are good, but are in conflict with the amount of violence and evil that happens in the Bible and all that evil is many times done by God himself!

The religious institutions are ofcourse just pure capitalistic machines, getting money form the masses, while selling them total lies and while being overted and untrue and also spreading false morals and at the same time spreading some important moral standarts, but they don't follow them themselves, which would create an example!

Some of the things that The Bible and (various) Church(es) demand are actually good, but they just don't have the ability to learn people how to live those things! For example I do believe, that monogamus realionships are the best you can get, because you get friendship and love and not just sex. I also think that total sexual freedom is nothing imoral, it's just people rubbing onto another until they reach an orgasm, but I think people live fuller in relationships! But the church and The Bible does not learn people, how to live a happy relationship, they just demand it and they also cause infidelity, by presenting sex as something imoral and once something is shown as bad, it becomes much more interesting and infidelity increases!! And priests with their constant sexual behaviour and pedophilia are certainly not a good example and I think their sexual behaviour is caused by the celibat, which is an abnormal behaviour!! !

So I think the whole idea about god, religious institutions and religious books are just making a mess on this world!! What we need is atheism and a good set of ethics, which are pretty much written in the Basic human rights scripture and that's it!!

Ditto. I tend to think that spirituality is the relationship one has with "God." I also think it's a journey not a destination. I tend to think of 'religion' as the framework many people use to develop their spiritual relationship with "God." It's also the framework by which those people deal with others of like mind. In other words, 'spirituality' is man's relationship with God and 'religion' is man's relationshjip with other people and their relationships with God.

Personally, I tend to think of myself as too pagan to be christian, and too christian to be pagan.

I often think that what is important is that we believe in something, regardless of what/who that something is.

The religious institutions are ofcourse just pure capitalistic machines, getting money form the masses, while selling them total lies and while being overted and untrue and also spreading false morals and at the same time spreading some important moral standarts, but they don't follow them themselves, which would create an example!

I think that's probably true of many folks who 'run' those institutions, but I also think that is not true of many others. A lot of folks quietly live their lives according to what their 'faith' teaches them, or at least by what their understanding of their faith is. However, those folks don't make headlines in the paper, so they, and the good, decent things they do, don't get much attention.

So I think the whole idea about god, religious institutions and religious books are just making a mess on this world!! What we need is atheism and a good set of ethics, which are pretty much written in the Basic human rights scripture and that's it!!

The world would be just as messed up, because it is full of people, and they are/would be just as flawed as they are now. Life would be the same battle, just under a different banner.

"God" to me is a human construct. Meaning, people created it. They wanted to give a name to the thing or whatever that they believed put everyone and everything where it's at, so they called it "God". They gave this "God" a list of qualities, and then used those qualities to explain everything they couldn't understand. Don't know why there are tides? God! Don't know why it's light in the morning and dark at night? God! Don't know why there's good people and evil people? God! Then they used this "God" to control people, through scaring them into believing what they did, else they'd spend the rest of eternity in a place called "hell", where this "God" sent people who disobeyed him or didn't believe. You still see that today, through the way some people use religion or "God" to deny rights to people, especially gays, or to deny access to medical procedures, such as abortion.

For this construct, wars have been waged, lives have been lost, and entire civilizations have been ruined.

I'm an atheist, and have been since I was old enough to tell my parents I was no longer interested in going to church or doing anything connected to religion or "God". They don't have a problem with it, they've always believed the decision to believe or not to believe is a personal one, and not a choice that can be fucked with, basically. So yay for having open-minded parents! I have no problems with religious people or people of faith, because as I just said above, believing or not believing is personal and really, not up for debate. You can't make someone believe and you can't make someone not believe. They have to arrive to that conclusion on their own, in their own time. I believe that when you die, you die. You decompose and fertilize the grass you're laid to rest under, and maybe some beautiful flowers will grow.

I will say, one thing I don't like are the door-to-door religion salesman, like the Mormons and the Jehovah's Witnesses. It seems mildly creepy to me to walk from house to house, asking people if they either believe in God or would like to know more about what they're selling.

Believe what you want to believe that's the choice we all have and whether it's the right one or not we'll know when we die.

Believing in God is a personal thing you either do or you don't and arguing the point over who is right or wrong is an exercise in futility and unresolvable.

Religion is basically a good thing, it's man's interpretation of the Bible, Koran and other doctrines that's fucked everything up.

I refuse to call myself a "fan" of anything as I am not a fanatic, which is a very dangerous thing to be.

Humans are the first to blame everything on something else even God, before accepting responsibility themselves.

It's amazing how all beliefs, ideoligies or philosophies for the most part have a basic message of love, peace, harmony, hope and so on, even Atheism.

Yet we usually end up doing the reverse.

The greatest trick the devil ever played was convincing mankind he didn't exist. (Kaiser Soze)

Some even believe Jimmy Page is a deity and they are most likely the ones who don't believe in God or gods!? :blink:

Birds falling out of the sky, fish washed up onto land, natural disasters worse than ever before occurring all around the world, is this the end of days?

Some say we are less than two years away from the end of the world according to some Mayan Calendar?

The thing is no-one really knows because it's all about faith.

I can't wait for this to degenerate into the usual vitriolic slagfest that some on here seem to thrive on, just leave me out of it.

Who'll be the first to have their sensibilities bruised and threatens to leave in a huff?

Love and Peace are better than the alternatives.

"God" to me is a human construct. Meaning, people created it. They wanted to give a name to the thing or whatever that they believed put everyone and everything where it's at, so they called it "God". They gave this "God" a list of qualities, and then used those qualities to explain everything they couldn't understand. Don't know why there are tides? God! Don't know why it's light in the morning and dark at night? God! Don't know why there's good people and evil people? God! Then they used this "God" to control people, through scaring them into believing what they did, else they'd spend the rest of eternity in a place called "hell", where this "God" sent people who disobeyed him or didn't believe. You still see that today, through the way some people use religion or "God" to deny rights to people, especially gays, or to deny access to medical procedures, such as abortion.

For this construct, wars have been waged, lives have been lost, and entire civilizations have been ruined.

I'm an atheist, and have been since I was old enough to tell my parents I was no longer interested in going to church or doing anything connected to religion or "God". They don't have a problem with it, they've always believed the decision to believe or not to believe is a personal one, and not a choice that can be fucked with, basically. So yay for having open-minded parents! I have no problems with religious people or people of faith, because as I just said above, believing or not believing is personal and really, not up for debate. You can't make someone believe and you can't make someone not believe. They have to arrive to that conclusion on their own, in their own time. I believe that when you die, you die. You decompose and fertilize the grass you're laid to rest under, and maybe some beautiful flowers will grow.

I will say, one thing I don't like are the door-to-door religion salesman, like the Mormons and the Jehovah's Witnesses. It seems mildly creepy to me to walk from house to house, asking people if they either believe in God or would like to know more about what they're selling.

:goodpost:

I'm not a believer as such, just try to be a good person.

AHA! A very nice and interesting topic! :D Thank you for starting it, Danny! :thumbsup:

To me, God is something which has been created by mankind. As far as I know, there is no scientific evidence to prove that God is in fact real. I am not saying that I expect the sky to just open up one day, with some random bloke jumping out and shouting "I'm God! Worship Me, damnit!". LOL! Even then, I don't think I'll be convinced because scientifically, the chances of that sort of thing actually happening is nil! I am an atheist. I have been one for the past 10 years of my life. A nun from my Catholic school told me when I was about 11 years old that "God is everywhere". My response was "Really? How come I don't see this "God" person?". After my rather ummm...cheeky, dont carish sort of reply, she screamed "BLASPHEMY!". No, I'm not making this up! :lol: Honestly, the moment she screamed, I thought that organs were going to start playing and wolves were going to start howling! :lol: Nope! That sure as hell didn't happen! :P

Also, one day, when I was walking home from University, there was this white guy who was all dressed up in Hindu-type attire, trying desperately to sell "The Bhagavat Gita" for a whopping NZ $ 20. As I walked past him, the fact that I was Indian, caught his attention. He came up to me and started talking about how he was sure that I was a Hindu and if I would be so kind to spend a "small" sum of NZ $ 20, I would indeed "see the light" and "attain salvation" after I die! I tried telling him very politely that I am a student who is running short of cash and who is pretty anxious to get home after a hard day at Uni. But he still persisted insisting that the book will do me good or will atleast be a lovely gift for my parents, blah, blah, blah. I then got so fed up that I told him something like this "Look, I'm in a hurry. I do not have time for things like this. Yes, I look Indian but that does not automatically make me a "Hindu". Hell, I know I was born one but let me tell you this. I do not practice any religion. To me, there is NO God, no Gita, no deities or whatever. Besides, my mom will kick my ass if I dare spend so much money on a mere book! Hope you have a nice day". He, then, glares at me and replies "May Lord Shiva Strike You Down!". I just gave the bugger a funny look and continued to walk back home. 4 years later, I'm still alive and well, thanks. No "Lord" person arrived at my home to destroy me! :lol::P

I really don't care if people look at me funny thinking I'm weird just because I am an athetist. We are all entitled to our beliefs or lack of it. To me, what counts is the fact that two people who I care most about in this world, my parents, have accepted me for who I am! So, other people's opinions don't even count, once you have the love and support of your parents! Also, to me the best form of worship is to be happy, healthy and have the determination to do your best and be sincere about every little thing you do in life and try to be good and helpful to the people around you. For instance, I consider helping a friend in times of need to be a much better form of worship rather than going to a temple or a church or a mosque! Just my 2 cents! ;)

AHA! A very nice and interesting topic! :D Thank you for starting it, Danny! :thumbsup:

To me, God is something which has been created by mankind. As far as I know, there is no scientific evidence to prove that God is in fact real. I am not saying that I expect the sky to just open up one day, with some random bloke jumping out and shouting "I'm God! Worship Me, damnit!". LOL! Even then, I don't think I'll be convinced because scientifically, the chances of that sort of thing actually happening is nil! I am an atheist. I have been one for the past 10 years of my life. A nun from my Catholic school told me when I was about 11 years old that "God is everywhere". My response was "Really? How come I don't see this "God" person?". After my rather ummm...cheeky, dont carish sort of reply, she screamed "BLASPHEMY!". No, I'm not making this up! :lol: Honestly, the moment she screamed, I thought that organs were going to start playing and wolves were going to start howling! :lol: Nope! That sure as hell didn't happen! :P

Also, one day, when I was walking home from University, there was this white guy on who was all dressed up in Hindu-type attire, trying desperately to sell "The Bhagavat Gita" for a whopping NZ $ 20. As I walked past him, the fact that I was Indian, caught his attention. He came up to me and started talking about how he was sure that I was a Hindu and if I would be so kind to spend a "small" sum of NZ $ 20, I would indeed "see the light" and "attain salvation" after I die! I tried telling him very politely that I am a student who is running short of cash and who is pretty anxious to get home after a hard day at Uni. But he still persisted insisting that the book will do me good or will atleast be a lovely gift for my parents, blah, blah, blah. I then got so fed up that I told him something like this "Look, I'm in a hurry. I do not have time for things like this. Yes, I look Indian but does not automatically make me a "Hindu". Hell, I know I was born one but let me tell you this. I do not practice any religion. To me, there is NO God, no Gita, no deities or whatever. Besides, my mom will kick my ass if I dare spend so much money on a mere book! Hope you have a nice day". He, then, glares at me and replies "May Lord Shiva Strike You Down!". I just gave the bugger a funny look and continued to walk back home. 4 years later, I'm still alive and well, thanks. No "Lord" person arrived at my home to destroy me! :lol::P

:hysterical:

GOD was/is a Starship Admiral like Captain Kirk. :o

There is just so much Bible nonsense that suggests this.

Jonah and the Whale,

Ezekiel and his trip around the Holy Land in a Cloud.

Jesus and the turning of water in to wine.

Feeding the 5000.

The Burning Bush.

The Battle of Jericho.

The Devil, as a renegade Captain.

The Angels who went with the Earth Women and then they begot the Wise Men of the Earth.

Heysuse and Morehamhead and their Rise in to Heaven, "Beam us up Scottie."

Sodom and Tomorrow.

And so much more, and on the 21st of the 12th 2012 He will return so you better have a good excuse for being an Unbeliever or its not the Burning Bush you will need to be wary of. :o

But a Truly Forgiving God will surly Forgive you wont He/She? Or is He/She an unforgiving God that will condemn you to Hades for eternity, sounds like He/She could be the Devil as well, FCUK ME? A Skitso Deity? whatever next? A Virgin Fairy?

Regards, Danny

Just my idea of some humour! Hope you guys don't mind! ;)

00646-funny-cartoons-gods.gif

tprn64l.jpg

:P

Not in the least Kiwi, you are required to Blaspheme in whatever way your religion allows, I'm assuming you do have a Religion? mines "Dicklexickroamancaflik" if your interested? :o

Kind Regards, Danny

PS, Any chance of some SERIOUS content from you then? I thought not. :lol:

I don't know what God is and I don't believe in any of the myths about him and his children or prophets. Everyone should have the right to worship according to their beliefs as long as they don't impinge on the rights of others. I have many religious family members and co-workers and I often feel smothered in an environment where I would be considered sinful if I expressed my own opinions.

Leddy, I also lived in the Middle East for a while and would never have dared to discuss religion with anyone, even though you could tell from casual remarks that many people there were disillusioned with their faith.

Leddy, I also lived in the Middle East for a while and would never have dared to discuss religion with anyone, even though you could tell from casual remarks that many people there were disillusioned with their faith.

Wouldn't you say thats a bad state of affairs ? The strange thing is although I do not believe in God I felt that I had to back Christianity with them when they poo pooed it and saying Chris instead of Christ...strange really but I couldn't keep my mouth shut, as i say if it had been Saudi, I guess my nadds would have been cut off, but freedom of speech etc.....

Wouldn't you say thats a bad state of affairs ? The strange thing is although I do not believe in God I felt that I had to back Christianity with them when they poo pooed it and saying Chris instead of Christ...strange really but I couldn't keep my mouth shut, as i say if it had been Saudi, I guess my nadds would have been cut off, but freedom of speech etc.....

If they had you would be talking one octave higher now mate. :o;):lol:

Kind Regards, Danny

If they had you would be talking one octave higher now mate. :o;):lol:

Kind Regards, Danny

Well the one good thing to come out that would of been being able to sing some Sparks or The Darkness songs B)

Yes I often defended the religion of my childhood as well, even though I think it is a crock... People there respected you for sticking to your faith but they wouldn't have understood having no faith at all. But people who had lived or studied abroad did seem generally to be more open-minded. Mind you I didn't have much chance to talk to men, that wouldn't have been "proper".

Not in the least Kiwi, you are required to Blaspheme in whatever way your religion allows, I'm assuming you do have a Religion? mines "Dicklexickroamancaflik" if your interested? :o

Kind Regards, Danny

PS, Any chance of some SERIOUS content from you then? I thought not. :lol:

Alright Danny, you asked for it! :lol: Don't say, I didn't warn you! :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzWV0i5l-0A&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIbfhvjKq0o&feature=related

This is my "religion" :lol:

I find the "Guru" in that vid to be kinda cool! :hysterical:

Alright Danny, you asked for it! :lol: Don't say, I didn't warn you! :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzWV0i5l-0A&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIbfhvjKq0o&feature=related

This is my "religion" :lol:

I find the "Guru" in that vid to be kinda cool! :hysterical:

He needs a good bath, shave and haircut, :o only joking, give me until tomorrow and I'll get back to you.

For now I needs me beauty sleep, and I needs it in large doses. :lol:

Kind Regards, Danny

PS, Oh and I just The Yogi Bare by the way. ;)

Indeed. Those brainwashed lemmings who stampede to my door on occasion preaching "the word of God" will feel thr wrath of HELL if they don't gtfo of my street. :P

I believe that spirituality is a deeply personal issue that should be kept as such. I'm not an atheist per se but i'm not convinced by fairy tales either.

And every house is a house of Dog.....errrrr, God.

Archived