Jimmy and Jimi

I am sure this topic has appeared on this forum somewhere in some form or another. I tried to search before I started this topic but could not find anything. So, my question to anyone out there is, has anyone seen or read anything of a meeting that had ever taken place between Jimmy Page and Jimi Hendrix? Be it a casual, social, professional or musical meeting. Being a die-hard Jimmy Page fan myself I have read that Pagey says he never saw Hendrix play live. Even though Hendrix became "famous" in England around 1966 with his "Experience" it seems that Pagey must have heard or wanted to check out this wild American who was exploding onto the "Swinging London" scene. Pagey was by this time a very in demand and hot young session player and on the verge of becoming member of the Yardbirds. I am currently reading a book on Jimi Hendrix and in it it says that at one Hendrix gig in London all the English royalty were on hand to see Hendrix perform. The book mentions that at this gig Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, Pete Townshend, Jeff Beck, the Beatles, John Mayall, Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Brian Jones and Donovan were all in attendance. This took place on November 25, 1966 (according to the book, Jimi Hendrix: The Ultimate Experience). Can anyone confirm or collaborate any of this? From what I have read about Jimmy Page, I recall that he says that he was always interested in Jimi Hendrix and always wanted to see him play live but at the time he never got around to it. Jimmy Page always was too busy and says that he would get around to it someday but Jimi Hendrix unfortunatey passed away before Pagey got a chance to see him. Of course this would conradict what this book says. Any thoughts, insights or opinions?

Jimmy was on the east coast of the USA with The Yardbirds on the Dick Clark Caravan of Stars Tour. Their gig at the Memorial Coliseum in Winston Salem, NC for this date was cancelled (on account of illness) but they played two performances in Washington D.C. the next day.

Bottom line is Jimmy was not in England on 11/25/66 and he said he never saw Hendrix perform. If I'm not mistaken Jimmy did say he crossed paths with Hendrix in a club once but didn't bother to approach his table because Hendrix looked really out of it at the time.

I recall a similar interview and Jimmy said he regretted not seeing him live.

It could've been around the time of Jimi's death and JP was asked what he thought of Jimi's playing and he said something along the lines of, "we've lost a great one."

I remember reading somewhere or I heard it one of my interview CDs, that Jimmy said he never saw him play live, but he did meet once him in a club in New York, but Jimi wasn't well and had a lot of people around him. Jimmy seemed a little disappointed about that, from what I got.

This question comes up every once in a while, and it is an interesting one. It seems almost self-evident that they would have seen each other live and had a talk, and this is often enough simply assumed. At some point the assumption seems to have crept into the Hendrix literature, to the extent where even Charles Cross makes it in his book, Jimi Hendrix: Room Full of Mirrors (cf. p. 177) – and he is somebody who has also written on Led Zeppelin (a beautiful book, I might add).

But in fact they never met, and never saw each other in concert, and Jimmy has stated this several times in interviews. Yes, the club story is true, but that's hardly an encounter in any real sense.

DIDN'T JIMMY LIKE HENDRIX?

One of the times Jimmy has stated that they never met is an interview that Charles Shaar Murray (the author of a great book on Hendrix called Croostown Traffic) made for Mojo with both Jimmy and Jeff Beck, and when the latter learned this he just went: “You're kidding, Jim. WOW! Farkinell! I can't believe that!” (cf. Mojo August 2004, p. 71). It's very understandable that this was surprising to Jeff. Almost immediately upon Hendrix's arrival in London he became the talk of the town, and especially amongst the guitarists. Jeff Beck, who had just left The Yardbirds then, saw him, as did Clapton, Pete Townshend, The Stones, etc. etc.

Now, one thing we can rule out is that Jimmy didn't see him because he didn't like Hendrix's work, because he has stated his admiration of his work several times, not least in the 1970's. The interview made by Cameron Crowe for Rolling Stone in 1975 is a good example - asked about his opinion of American guitarists, Jimmy implies there in no uncertain terms that Hendrix was THE best electric guitarist the world has had. (Rolling Stone, March 13, 1975, p. 57).

I might add that Jimmy Page has described better and more succinctly, less mysteriously, what the nature of Hendrix's “revolutionizing” of electric playing actually consisted in. Hendrix didn't invent it all. He too learned from others, also English guitarists, brought together many different experimental things and unified them in a coherent, new style; that was the revolution he made. It was tying together many elements of experimental playing into a new whole framework, a personal style.

SOME BASIC FACTS

At first glance it seems obvious that Jimmy would have known about him very quickly, and that it would have been an easy matter to just go and see a gig in his own city, London. So why didn't it happen? And for that matter: Why didn't Hendrix see The Yardbirds, because second only to Cream, they were THE experimental band to see in England at the time? Plus, Jimi Hendrix loved to hang out with other musicians and jam. It all seems a bit odd.

An examination of the facts goes some way towards explaining why this was, although there still seem to have been missed opportunities, especially in December 1966. Jimmy Page first played a gig with The Yardbirds on June 21, 1966. Hendrix only arrived in London on September 24, 1966, and started jamming there right away; The Experience's first gig was in France, on October 13, and their first concert in England was on October 25. But by then, in late October that is, The Yardbirds had already departed for an American tour which went on until late November; at the same time Hendrix was playing in Germany and England.

And this is something that has to be kept in mind here. The years when Hendrix was still alive were the busiest touring years in Led Zeppelin's history – and Hendrix toured religiously: he played just about as many gigs in 1966-1970 as LZ did in it's entire carreer, i.e. around 600. If you make a quick comparison of their schedules, you'll find the real opportunities for them to meet were few.

MY THEORY

In the end we have to speculate though. There were, after all, SOME opportunities – and really, one would have to ask why Jimmy didn't go out of his way just to see the (then) living legend that was Jimi Hendrix?

Here's my theory, for what it's worth. By 1966 Jimmy was leaving the sessions, and he started working with a band. For him, it was the end of an apprenticeship, and the beginning of a carreer. He had his own musical profile to work on. He had lots of ideas, and he wanted to develop them and get them out there. Now, when he learns of Jimi Hendrix's existence, upon returning to England from a Yardies tour in the US, he could already figure out from other people's descriptions that Hendrix was not just a great player, but also somebody who had a great deal of unusual charisma, and somebody who made others aspire to attain something similar, copying him. (Note the massive influence Hendrix had on Ritchie Blackmore at the time, for instance). Jimmy may have just wanted to avoid that in a period that was important and sensitive for him.

And eventually, as we know, it was just too late.

EDITED for readability.

I remember reading a Hendrix interview where he said Cream and Led Zeppelin were two of his favorite bands. And there is Neil Young's Downtown:

Jimi's playin' in the back room

Led Zeppelin on stage

There's a mirror ball twirlin'

And a note from Page

But I think this refers to a recording of Jimi playing backstage when Zeppelin was inducted into the R&R HoF.

I remember reading a Hendrix interview where he said Cream and Led Zeppelin were two of his favorite bands.

I would greatly appreciate if you could find the exact reference! I too think I read this somewhere, but for the life of me, I can't find it anywhere in my books and mags.

I remember reading a Hendrix interview where he said Cream and Led Zeppelin were two of his favorite bands. And there is Neil Young's Downtown:

Jimi's playin' in the back room

Led Zeppelin on stage

There's a mirror ball twirlin'

And a note from Page

But I think this refers to a recording of Jimi playing backstage when Zeppelin was inducted into the R&R HoF.

Oh, I'm sure that Hendrix was an all and all out Bob Dylan freek! There's an interview on the famous Hendrix documentary (that I have seen about a million times) saying before he went to England and was still a struggling artist he got in an argument with his live-in girlfriend Fay about how he spent there last $5.00 on a book about Dylan and would regularly read it to her (whether she liked it or not).

Maybe he liked Zep and Cream to, I don't know.

Yes, I think we all know Hendrix was a huge Dylan fan. But as mentioned, he also liked Zeppelin and Cream according to the interview I read. I don't remember his exact quote (maybe he 'dug' them) nor where I read it. I want to say it was a reprint in Rolling Stone magazine but I just don't know. I tried doing a search for it but came up empty. If I can find it, I'll copy it here or post a link.

Hendrix covered sunshine of your love live so he definitely appreciated Cream. Zeppelin was just starting in 69 and 70, maybe III had just been released when he died, but Led Zeppelin was still pretty young. And with how busy Hendrix was it's hard to say if he really had time to listen a ton of other peoples music.

Jimi decided on the Experience format (i.e. a trio) after seeing Cream. The two bands were great friends/competitors. Eric Clapton's introduction to Hendrix was Jimi coming up on stage to jam with Cream and blowing them away!

Not sure if Jimi ever saw Zeppelin play, but I do remember a quote of his to the effect that Bonzo had feet like a pair of castanets! He knew quality when he heard it. :)

On the 10th anniversary of Hendrix's death BBC Radio 1 aired an hour long programme called 'Impressions of Hendrix' which featured an interview with Jimmy Page lasting several minutes. He admired his work tremendously and sited Hendrix as an "innovator". I have this interview somewhere. He was asked to choose his favourite Hendrix track for the programme, and in true unconventional style Jimmy chose 'And the Gods Made Love' from Electric Ladyland. He never stated that he ever met him.

NT

Hendrix covered sunshine of your love live so he definitely appreciated Cream. Zeppelin was just starting in 69 and 70, maybe III had just been released when he died, but Led Zeppelin was still pretty young. And with how busy Hendrix was it's hard to say if he really had time to listen a ton of other peoples music.

Winterland Ballroom, October 10, 1968, late show: "We'd like to do a song, by, you know, some really groovy cats. It's too bad, this news that they're breaking up or something. This is one of the heaviest groups in the world. I'm talking about the group, the Cream..." He LOVED them, no doubt about that. It's the reference to Led Zeppelin as a group that I haven't been able to find.

I remember reading somewhere or I heard it one of my interview CDs, that Jimmy said he never saw him play live, but he did meet once him in a club in New York, but Jimi wasn't well and had a lot of people around him. Jimmy seemed a little disappointed about that, from what I got.

Specific: Steve Paul's Scene Club References Hendrix /Zeppelin. etc..(Pg. 219 - 5th Paragraph approx.)

http://books.google.ca/books?id=0UU2TUNrNa...lt&resnum=3

Further:

UV: Could you explain how Jimi came to play it?

TS: Well, at the time I was playing with Johnny Winter and I was living in New York and there was this club called Steve Paul's Scene. And we'd go there every night and there would be a jam session - there would be all these people there like Led Zeppelin, Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Jerry Lee Lewis, just all kinds of people and there would be jamming going on. And I was playing one night and he came up and asked if he could play bass. I went, `Sure'. And he really surprised me `cause he just turned it upside down and just played the shit out of it! He played with a pick and played the bass like a bass player would, not like a guitar player who just picked up a bass. He was a really good bass player, funky and really solid.

http://www.djnoble.demon.co.uk/ints/TOMMYSH.ANN.html

Club Image Here...

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http...ficial%26sa%3DG

Yeah, like SteveA said, Jimmy just happened upon Jimi in a NYC club, totally out of it. What I DO wonder about is Jimi seeing Zep, I don't think he did, but he surely must have heard reports from friends who had seen them, at the Fillmore East, or the Central Park gig, or the Singer Bowl...

Interesting tidbit: Zep flew to England to accept the "best group" award in London on SEPT 16th, 1970 - an award Jimi had previously won. Jimi - also in London - died the following evening.

Yeah, like SteveA said, Jimmy just happened upon Jimi in a NYC club, totally out of it. What I DO wonder about is Jimi seeing Zep, I don't think he did, but he surely must have heard reports from friends who had seen them, at the Fillmore East, or the Central Park gig, or the Singer Bowl...

Interesting tidbit: Zep flew to England to accept the "best group" award in London on SEPT 16th, 1970 - an award Jimi had previously won. Jimi - also in London - died the following evening.

I'm pretty sure Zeppelin was in New York by the day after he died. They played 2 shows on the 18th or 19th.

I'm pretty sure Zeppelin was in New York by the day after he died. They played 2 shows on the 18th or 19th.

If I remember correctly, it was the 19th. And Robert did address this topic.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay. I know I started this topic about Jimi Hendrix and Jimmy Page ever meeting after reading a book about Jimi Hendrix called, "Jimi Hendrix: the Ultimate Experience". However, I just recently reread my book about John Bonham titled, "John Bonham: A Thunder of Drums" by Chris Welch and Geoff Nicholls. In the book, on page 133, it says that "Even an astounded Jimi Hendrix commented to Robert Plant after a gig one night, 'That drummer of yours has a right foot like a pair of castanets'".

Okay, I will admit that I actually did not know what a "castanet" was so I looked it up in a dictionary. It says that a castanet is "a small percussion instrument consisting of two concave shells of wood held together in the palm of the hand and clicked rhythmically together, especially to accompany dancing".

If this situation between Robert Plant and Jimi Hendrix took place "after a gig one night" then it would seem possible and feasible that Jimmy Page was must have been present or somewhere nearby. This is all the book says. No mention of the date or location of this "gig". Whether or not any of this is true or accurate, I would say that it is very interesting nonetheless. Any thoughts out there?

Okay. I know I started this topic about Jimi Hendrix and Jimmy Page ever meeting after reading a book about Jimi Hendrix called, "Jimi Hendrix: the Ultimate Experience". However, I just recently reread my book about John Bonham titled, "John Bonham: A Thunder of Drums" by Chris Welch and Geoff Nicholls. In the book, on page 133, it says that "Even an astounded Jimi Hendrix commented to Robert Plant after a gig one night, 'That drummer of yours has a right foot like a pair of castanets'".

Okay, I will admit that I actually did not know what a "castanet" was so I looked it up in a dictionary. It says that a castanet is "a small percussion instrument consisting of two concave shells of wood held together in the palm of the hand and clicked rhythmically together, especially to accompany dancing".

If this situation between Robert Plant and Jimi Hendrix took place "after a gig one night" then it would seem possible and feasible that Jimmy Page was must have been present or somewhere nearby. This is all the book says. No mention of the date or location of this "gig". Whether or not any of this is true or accurate, I would say that it is very interesting nonetheless. Any thoughts out there?

John's sister Debbie shared some anecdotes about Bonzo at a Zeppelin convention in London, back in 1997. During one of them, she relates how someone exclaimed to her

"Look at his foot!..." referring to Bonzo's technique. I have this on film and will have to

take another look at it to confirm who said that to her, but the point is many took a keen interest in Bonzo's technique.

Insofar as Hendrix himself having said something to Robert, let alone attended a gig, I

believe that to be historically inaccurate but I would gladly afford the authors an opportunity to substantiate it/cite the source.

John's sister Debbie shared some anecdotes about Bonzo at a Zeppelin convention in London, back in 1997. During one of them, she relates how someone exclaimed to her

"Look at his foot!..." referring to Bonzo's technique. I have this on film and will have to

take another look at it to confirm who said that to her, but the point is many took a keen interest in Bonzo's technique.

Insofar as Hendrix himself having said something to Robert, let alone attended a gig, I

believe that to be historically inaccurate but I would gladly afford the authors an opportunity to substantiate it/cite the source.

I realize that you are the first person to reply to my post and I appreciate that. Being a long time (25 years) die-hard fan of Led Zeppelin and having read as much as I can about them as humanly possible, I too, myself, find this too be "historically inaccurate". That is the main reason I started this topic. I wanted to see if other die-hard LZ fans had read, heard or seen any proof that Jimi Hendrix and any members of Led Zeppelin had ever meet, associated together or ever jammed. If any of these aforementioned things ever did happen between the two (or should I say five) then I personally think that these things (however big or small to anyone else) actually have some meaning in the whole history of "Rock and Roll". Two powerhouses and influential musicians of all-time connected somehow would make sense. However, being that Jimi died way before his time and way too early makes this topic all the more relevant.

I realize that you are the first person to reply to my post and I appreciate that. Being a long time (25 years) die-hard fan of Led Zeppelin and having read as much as I can about them as humanly possible, I too, myself, find this too be "historically inaccurate". That is the main reason I started this topic. I wanted to see if other die-hard LZ fans had read, heard or seen any proof that Jimi Hendrix and any members of Led Zeppelin had ever meet, associated together or ever jammed. If any of these aforementioned things ever did happen between the two (or should I say five) then I personally think that these things (however big or small to anyone else) actually have some meaning in the whole history of "Rock and Roll". Two powerhouses and influential musicians of all-time connected somehow would make sense. However, being that Jimi died way before his time and way too early makes this topic all the more relevant.

....it is rather unfortunate....Steve Paul's Scene in New York, in a link I posted earlier, does indicate that Jimi played Guitar or Bass with the New Zeppelin....Robert Plant also talks widely about the Steve Paul's Scene Club in his various interviews...

"And suddenly we were in places like Steve Paul's Scene, where the mini-Mafia would be kicking the tables over and chicks would be sleezing up to you and everything like that I mean, why stop ever?"

Read more: http://www.led-zeppelin.org/reference/inde...0#ixzz0Lx6WBbOB

This Scene gives high speculation that they "probably" had many encounters here...

http://streetsyoucrossed.blogspot.com/2005...paul-scene.html

Archived