The 2009 Major League Baseball Thread

Bong-Man

I agree. But it looks like we are going to have to win alot of 10-9 games. Guthrie and the Japanese guy seem ok, and the closer. But the middle releif scares me. We have some good prospects in Norfolk I am told? I may go see them when they come to Rochester or Buffalo. And cheer for Norfolk! :o I think we are getting closer to being back on the map. Just hope sooner than later. Ill go back and check the score again, hell, Texas can score but cant pitch either. maybe we can come back? Not impossible. Go O's.

Well, it's 13 to 3 now. Not impossible, but highly improbable...

And I agree about the middle relief. I heard an interview with - someone on the pitching staff - on opening day and they were saying how great the bullpen was. And I kept thinking, it's the same guys as last year - and they sucked last year. And here we are again...

I'm going to give my first prediction of the season. If Miguel Cabrera stays healthy, he's going to hit 55-60 Home runs this year....which also means he is going to win the American League MVP. No one, not even Vladdie, hits homers to the opposite field with as much power and ease as this guy. He looks very very comfortable at the plate this year. If I was the other team's manager, I'd walk him every time he came to the plate with men on. If it was a one-run game, I would never pitch to him.

Orioles scored 7 runs in the top of the third inning at Boston. Now its 8-8 in the sixth. What happened to pitching? Unreal.

The pitching figured the game was over after the 7 runs..... ugh.

14 runs in the 2nd inning.That's my kind of baseball! Go Tribe!

There is no better feeling than thumping the shit out of the Yankees! I know I have back-up here. ;)

Certainly one of the high points of a pretty-good-overall Saturday!! :D

What was so good about it? Other than the Yankees getting pounded? Fucking Orioles. Cant beat Boston. :wtf:

That is true - the O's sucked.

However, the weather was gorgeous, I had a pedicure ( :) ), and went out to dinner with my husband. So it was a pretty good day for me.

Wow Ebk, I am shocked! All this time I thought you were a man. Sorry. But your knowledge of baseball and sports exedes any woman I have ever met! That is a compliment. Where does a man find a woman like you with knowledge of sports? They dont exist in the world I come from. Damn Orioles lost again. We can beat the Yankees but not Boston. When I was growing up we always could beat Boston, even in the days of Yaz. Who I liked. We need pitching. Big time. Dave McNally where are you?

That's okay Yukon - I haven't shared much personal stuff... although I did finally post a pic in the Post a Pic thread :)

You really can't complain about our pitching today! Koji pitched a great game, it's just that Lester pitched a better one. My kind of game. I'm not a big fan of high scoring affairs.

And really, as long as we can beat the Yankees, it's not all bad :D

At least today was a good day to be an Indians fan! :D

They beat the tar out of the Yankees in their home opener at their new billion and a half dollar ball park.Cliff Lee beat CC hahaha!!!

Go Tribe!

Sorry, Cleveland fan, but, "Booooo, hissss." ha ha. But then again, I do like Cleveland people...(Rock and Roll Hall of Fame locale)...hope they win it all soon, but not against my beloved NY teams.

Sorry, Cleveland fan, but, "Booooo, hissss." ha ha. But then again, I do like Cleveland people...(Rock and Roll Hall of Fame locale)...hope they win it all soon, but not against my beloved NY teams.

Yankees Suck! :P LOL just kiddin' and welcome to the board :wave::D

Wow! Thanks, Dzldoc! Hey but didn't ya love the performances of good ole' John Fogarty and Bernie Williams, guitarist extraordinaire & former CF? (a real Renaissance man!, he is!)

:( Alas I missed that, been a bit pre-occupied lately. I'll take your word for it though, ya know John is pretty popular down here in Bayou country B):guitar_mood:

:( Alas I missed that, been a bit pre-occupied lately. I'll take your word for it though, ya know John is pretty popular down here in Bayou country B):guitar_mood:

__Yes, of CCR fame. Used to like him a lot during my teen years--almost as much as I love Page now. lol!

__Hey, speaking of guitarists, Bernie played a fantastic instrumental cover of "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" (Sat.) on what sounded like a Spanish classical guitar (I only heard it on the radio, thanks to the husband's alert, not the TV). Great tone! Was super! Forgive me for rhapsodizing, but it was that good! Not as otherworldly as Page's playing, but it stops you dead in your tracks.

__Anyways, I got Bernie's debut album, which contains a good Kansas cover "Dust in the Wind". So, have a great week!

Swept again EBK. Well, the season was fun for a week. As usual. I wonder if Ill live to see them win again? Or the Bills? Or the Sabres? :depressed:<_<

It's a looooog season. Let's not get crazy until, oh, say... the middle of May :)

It's times like this that I wish I'd thrown caution to the wind and gone to the Series in Philly back in '83. But I was told I'd be killed in the parking lot, so I stayed home. Oh well...

One of my close friends is a Bills / Sabres fan. It's a hard row to hoe there, Yukon. But I can see you're a true fan... they'll come around at some point!!

It's Sunday and we... won!! I bought a new camera. The first pic is what it looks like from my seats normally. The second pic is Danny Baez warming up in the bullpen... quite a ways away. And the third pic is the top of a buliding at the Inner Harbor.

I think I like this camera!!! :)

IMG_0069.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

Great game by the Tiger's Justin Verlander last night. He had total control of all his pitches, and repeatedly made the Yankees look stupid. Sabbathia was sharp, but we finally broke him. Brandon Inge is playing like a kid again. I think 3rd base suits him. Zumaya returns to the roster, and the TIgs are in 1st place. There's worse ways to start the season.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090509/SP...hitter+into+win

Verlander again ! A complete game two-hit shutout against the Indians with 11 strikeouts. He was throwing 99 mph in the 9th inning with the sickest curve ball you've ever seen. Absolute domination. Granderson saves a 1-0 win by stealing a homer over the wall in the 9th. Just a great game to watch.

• 3 weeks later...

Still in 1st place !

Someone told me they're still playing hockey in Detroit.....I wouldn't know. :D

Justin Verlander has been arguably the best pitcher in baseball during the last month, winning five of his last six starts with an ERA of 0.85.

Date Innings H ER BB K Result

April 27 7 7 0 0 9 W, 4-2

May 3 7 2 1 3 11 W, 3-1

May 8 9 2 0 2 11 W, 1-0

May14 6 1/3 5 2 3 13 L, 6-5*

May 20 6 3 1 2 8 W, 5-3

May 25 7 5 0 0 8 W, 13-1

Totals 42.1 24 4 10 with 60 strikeouts

GO TIGERS !! :cheer::thumbsup:

It's Sunday and we... won!! I bought a new camera. The first pic is what it looks like from my seats normally. The second pic is Danny Baez warming up in the bullpen... quite a ways away. And the third pic is the top of a buliding at the Inner Harbor.

I think I like this camera!!! :)

IMG_0069.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

Great pictures, ebk!

What camera did you get? It has an excellent zoom!

I am in the market for a new camera, and yours seems to take great pictures.

Hope you enjoy the baseball games and your team keeps winning!

The joke appears to be on Detroit the last couple of days.

Baltimore is laughing at their 12-3 run total over the Tigers during the last 18 innings!

It's not the Orioles who are eating crow.

Yeah....we sucked. Kind of liked how Leyland went right after your new catcher with a 1st batter bunt though. We need Verlander to shut 'em down today....and we need to tap into your shitty bullpen.

Great pictures, ebk!

What camera did you get? It has an excellent zoom!

I am in the market for a new camera, and yours seems to take great pictures.

Hope you enjoy the baseball games and your team keeps winning!

Thanks Buck'eye'Doc. I got a Canon PowerShot SX10 1S. It has a 20x optical zoom which seems to be quite enough for me at this point. It also does a whole bunch of fun stuff which I will someday read the book and learn how to do :)

I got it as Costco for $369, but I see it's already coming down in price at places like Best Buy.

I highly recommend it - as does the new Consumer Reports that just showed up at my house.