Smoking bans in bars

Reggie1971

My brother finally quit smoking because the cost of cigarettes got to be so high he couldn't afford them anymore.

You know, I quit smoking a while back because I was so sick and tired of it. And now, I am amazed at how much extra spending money I have. I didn't realize just how much I was spending on it...

You know, I quit smoking a while back because I was so sick and tired of it. And now, I am amazed at how much extra spending money I have. I didn't realize just how much I was spending on it...

:thumbsup: Not to mention how much better you probably feel :D

Guess what, i'm not going to argue with you. i understand the whole thing, but cigs in ny are too expensive!!! its insane. when i go to sc, i buy 300dollards worth of cigarettes.

Yes i will gladly pay tax on alcohol and cigarettes too, but the the tax is going up way too excessively on cigarettes in way to short of time....doesn't make any kind of sense for someone already smoking, its just not right.

Then I suggest they quit. My uncle died of emphysema. My mother has it and is well on her way to an early demise. My other uncle died of cancer.....my sister Sandy got cancer of the nose no less, had part of it surgically removed. Guess what, the nit still smokes.

If you cannot afford something then you simply don't do it :blink:

Quit while your alive.

Then I suggest they quit. My uncle died of emphysema. My mother has it and is well on her way to an early demise. My other uncle died of cancer.....my sister Sandy got cancer of the nose no less, had part of it surgically removed. Guess what, the nit still smokes.

If you cannot afford something then you simply don't do it :blink:

Quit while your alive.

I'm very sorry to hear about the people in your family. thats horrible. I don't want to get into talking about this, i know someone who is suffering with cancer right now. all i know, is its not all from smoking. God bless.

The economic screw hit me pretty hard. Fortunately though it's probably roughly what I spent on smokes a month. I have more brand new clothes that don't stink like an ash tray. I eat better (well a bit)

Plus I have healthier, more energetic friends. Cool how people are not waving their arms at you and cursing or dragging the children away in a fuss huh?

All restaurants should ban smoking. Makes me have to wash clothes more or get more fragrance :huh:

They should invent bubbles, you know like for a bubble boy to wrap around scooter wheel chairs. Keep all the smoke in there to save money for them, and recycle it through a filter. BREATH DEEEEEPLY MMMMMMMMM.

BTW, I hear you can order cigs from NC online lol...

Smoking stinks.

I was standing in line at the drug store talking to a woman about the prices going up and she said:

"I can't even afford to pay attention."

:hysterical:

See...thats what i'm talking about. people have to quit smoking, cause they can't afford it.

I'm very sorry to hear about the people in your family. thats horrible. I don't want to get into talking about this, i know someone who is suffering with cancer right now. all i know, is its not all from smoking. God bless.

It's ok. I'm trying to help you silly. I hear you can order cigs online if that helps you save moolah. I used to smoke, so I know how hard it is to stop.

I sound like I'm arguing maybe to you and I'm not. I used to be a medical professional so people do get a lecture lol. It's our job, anyhow not meaning to insult.

And thanks on the good wishes and blessings too :) I love when people wish me and fam good things.

I hope they quit grrrrrrr...

It's ok. I'm trying to help you silly. I hear you can order cigs online if that helps you save moolah. I used to smoke, so I know how hard it is to stop.

I sound like I'm arguing maybe to you and I'm not. I used to be a medical professional so people do get a lecture lol. It's our job, anyhow not meaning to insult.

And thanks on the good wishes and blessings too :) I love when people wish me and fam good things.

I hope they quit grrrrrrr...

help the children then. God bless everyone.

It's been here in Seattle for a year or two and it's fine. People go outside to have a smoke and the bars made nice spots with tables, chairs and ashtrays for them. There was an initial loss of business, but nothing compared to what the recession has done to the bar's business.

Once the anti/smoke Nazi's got their foot in the door (smoking or non-smoking) that if you disagree with them now, you will be sent to a concentration camp.

<_<

Welcome to the continuing story of... As The World Turns.... Today's episode: "Cigarette Madness" (not to be confused with that old time favorite... " Reefer Madness" )

I think it's safe to say that all of us smokers are well aware of the dangers to ourselves and to other's. Deep down, all of us would like to and, should quit. I for one will not subject any innocent party to my second hand smoke. Just don't come looking for trouble when I'm not invading your space. I suppose if the powers that be honestly agreed with their own legislation, they'd just ban the sale of cigs period. Too much revenue I reckon <_<

Welcome to the continuing story of... As The World Turns.... Today's episode: "Cigarette Madness" (not to be confused with that old time favorite... " Reefer Madness" )

I think it's safe to say that all of us smokers are well aware of the dangers to ourselves and to other's. Deep down, all of us would like to and, should quit. I for one will not subject any innocent party to my second hand smoke. Just don't come looking for trouble when I'm not invading your space. I suppose if the powers that be honestly agreed with their own legislation, they'd just ban the sale of cigs period. Too much revenue I reckon <_<

When I smoked I just ignored everyone.

And the revenue is a definate. Do you have any idea how many fags we sell over seas. Millions of tons...American fags are very popular because the quality is good for the cost. Well unless you roll your own :D

Bars have never been the same...It has been in effect the last couple of years where I'm from and it has changed. The atmosphere isn't the same and i don't know about you but i love hacking butts while I get buzzed. you cant act cool anymore :angry:

Bars have never been the same...It has been in effect the last couple of years where I'm from and it has changed. The atmosphere isn't the same and i don't know about you but i love hacking butts while I get buzzed. you cant act cool anymore :angry:

Here it's mixed. Some bars you can smoke and some you cannot. The smoking ones win by a landslide. There are just different areas to smoke in is all. BUT, this is about to change very soon because the state is tired of picking up medical costs for smokers. If the gov don't have people with no insurance insured, then at the end of the year the medical cost is turned over to the state itself.

If everyone were insured to pick up the costs, then the new laws may not be so stiff.

Edit: I goofed the middle of that lol. I meant if the gov don't insure them for retirement or whatever, and they don't have any. The state gets the ticket at years end. What I heard anyhow.

Read your PM's,, I'm not the judge on this lol>>>>just be careful please? My friends are my friends either way.

I'm a smoker and I have to admit that I agree with the ban in inclosed areas. No argument there. I smoke much less when I'm out these day's and that's a good thing. I've learned to live with the rules and TBH welcome them. A total ban however is another matter. Total overkill IMHO. If I wish to have a smoke outside and away from people why should that be any concern to anyone else. Too many freakin' do gooders out there who want to stick their nose in other peoples buisness. I'm not in your space, get the fuck out of mine <_< BTW, why don't people like that go down to skid road and try to work their wonders on the poor bastard that's cranking a fix at a bus stop and leaving his needle in a public park or have the presence of mind to stop every non smoking punter who walks out of a pub and decides it's cool to drive home ? FUCK ! I just wanted a walk and an excuse for a couple of pints

I like what you say. Although I quit smoking cigs over a year ago, i'll still defend the rights of those who do. I agree with bans in public places, such as restaurants, etc., but think that some of these "smoke Nazi's" go a little overboard. In the last month or so, they've raised the price of a pack of fags to over $7. WTF is the point of that? Millions of people are addicted to tobacco and no matter how much the price, are going to find a way to use it. It bothers me when I see some guy or girl a hundred pounds overweight standing in line at McDonalds oredering a Double Quarter Pounder with supersized fries and soft drink, but I don't see anyone telling them how dangerous that is. So let's be fair to all.

It's a shame you've identified being cool only if you have a smoke in your hand :(

My question is, are you making an effort to quit at this time? There are ways to do it. One example is the Nicotine Patch, which i see prescribed frequently in the hospital. It works for my patients (who aren't allowed to smoke in the hospital anyway) during their stay (many feel less of a craving) and many don't go back to smoking when they are discharged. The sad fact is, i see hundreds of patients each year who do smoke, and are hospitalized for one reason or another (respiratory, heart disease, vascular disease, strokes, etc). and it's a high price to pay (much more than the cost of a pack of cigarettes). Anyone who still smokes today should be trying to quit, and trying hard.

My question is, are you making an effort to quit at this time? There are ways to do it. One example is the Nicotine Patch, which i see prescribed frequently in the hospital. It works for my patients (who aren't allowed to smoke in the hospital anyway) during their stay (many feel less of a craving) and many don't go back to smoking when they are discharged. The sad fact is, i see hundreds of patients each year who do smoke, and are hospitalized for one reason or another (respiratory, heart disease, vascular disease, strokes, etc). and it's a high price to pay (much more than the cost of a pack of cigarettes). Anyone who still smokes today should be trying to quit, and trying hard.

No, I'd be lying if I said at this moment in time I was making a serious effort to quit. That's not to say that I won't be soon. Thanks for the nicotine patch recommondation but I have tried it before along with many other methods. My time will come and as anybody who has quit will know, it 's really about knowing your ready.

I hope my posts aren't giving anyone the impression that I am supportive of cigarette smoking. I'm not. I just don't need to have the Anti-Everything brigade dictating the terms and conditions. As I've said, I am and will continue to be very much in favour of no smoking in inclosed areas. Even outside when other's who don't smoke are standing nearby. All I ask is that when I'm standing well clear of other's in an outside area and bothering nobody, don't come looking for a reason to preach to me.

I already know that it's bad for me. If a total smoking ban was ever implimented then I say, ban the sale of tobacco all together. I suppose I find it a bit hypocritical that the very people ( government )

who have the power to enforce a ban, don't have the balls to ban the sale of this wicked drug period.

The way I see it is if I chose not to smoke, I don't harm anyone. Their clothes won't smell, their physical well-being won't be affected, and all they can still smoke if they choose to.

If someone's having a crafty fag in a pub, they're harming everyone. It's my clothes that smell, it's me that inhales their smoke, and I don't have a choice.

In Britain we have alot of pubs (almost all) that serve food. It doesn't matter which side is for non-smokers or not, somewhere, someone along the line, missed the point that smoke drifts. I had to work in a pub, at 17, that made me terribly sick with coughs. In the end, because of the smoke, I had to quit. And, even now, my coughs last longer than they ought to.

If smoking's banned does it prevent the smoker from going out? Does it mean they will no longer be able to enjoy a fag outside? Of course not. They can still do as they please, but, now, they're only killing themselves, instead of me.

No, I'd be lying if I said at this moment in time I was making a serious effort to quit. That's not to say that I won't be soon. Thanks for the nicotine patch recommondation but I have tried it before along with many other methods. My time will come and as anybody who has quit will know, it 's really about knowing your ready.

I hope my posts aren't giving anyone the impression that I am supportive of cigarette smoking. I'm not. I just don't need to have the Anti-Everything brigade dictating the terms and conditions. As I've said, I am and will continue to be very much in favour of no smoking in inclosed areas. Even outside when other's who don't smoke are standing nearby. All I ask is that when I'm standing well clear of other's in an outside area and bothering nobody, don't come looking for a reason to preach to me.

I already know that it's bad for me. If a total smoking ban was ever implimented then I say, ban the sale of tobacco all together. I suppose I find it a bit hypocritical that the very people ( government )

who have the power to enforce a ban, don't have the balls to ban the sale of this wicked drug period.

I wish you luck next time you try to quit, ally. I know it's not easy for many people to stop. It takes a deep committment and a world of willpower. Nicotine is one of probably 100 other chemicals put in the cigarettes to make quitting so difficult. I respect you go to great lengths not to smoke nearby others. I don't think non-smokers are trying to get on people for the sake of it, however. As Longdistancewinner says, it drifts... and if someone doesn't smoke they don't want to smell like it or smell it, period. I'm in that group of people... and i have great hopes that everyone addicted to cigarettes will try to quit (and do it)!

That's a horseshit law. The government shouldn't be allowed to just step on someone's rights to open a private establishment and allow smoking. Just because certain people don't enjoy people smoking in a bar does not mean that their will should force bar owners to stop patrons from smoking. Absolutely retarded law.

Viva la Liberty some say

If America had some....

Archived