Have you ever met Zep hater?

_Lena_Zep

I could rant on and on about the suckyness and gayness of today's music and it's affect on the other kids, but I figure if you can't convert them, laugh at their sorry aces.

This is not to say that I wouldn't like some of my friends anymore because of their music choice, just maybe have a little less respect for them. (my opinion)

I'm not trying to say anything here, but it seems to me that, in my school at least, the kids that listen to gay music have ligitimately gayer personalities. I dunno maybe it's just me. ( I'm not using gay in the homo form, but just, you know, gay)

I could rant on and on about the suckyness and gayness of today's music and it's affect on the other kids, but I figure if you can't convert them, laugh at their sorry aces.

This is not to say that I wouldn't like some of my friends anymore because of their music choice, just maybe have a little less respect for them. (my opinion)

I'm not trying to say anything here, but it seems to me that, in my school at least, the kids that listen to gay music have ligitimately gayer personalities. I dunno maybe it's just me. ( I'm not using gay in the homo form, but just, you know, gay)

yeah i just dont understand how....i dont know i dont get music anymore.......its sickening is what is. people take after their music i guess

yeah i just dont understand how....i dont know i dont get music anymore.......its sickening is what is. people take after their music i guess

What I think has happened in this wired up, technological age is that whatever is ear-catching, new, and on either Disney or the top 40 charts is suitable for music. People don't care about music or musicianship: they care about hip, new, trendy voices.

Another thing is that all the music today sounds the same. There are several types of songs and in those groups, no matter the artist or album, the songs sound the exact same. They would all sue each other if they weren't all in the top ten in iTunes all the time.

The rare ones who actually LISTEN to the MUSIC like you and me, zepp's_apprentice, have to carry the torch.

What I think has happened in this wired up, technological age is that whatever is ear-catching, new, and on either Disney or the top 40 charts is suitable for music. People don't care about music or musicianship: they care about hip, new, trendy voices.

Another thing is that all the music today sounds the same. There are several types of songs and in those groups, no matter the artist or album, the songs sound the exact same. They would all sue each other if they weren't all in the top ten in iTunes all the time.

The rare ones who actually LISTEN to the MUSIC like you and me, zepp's_apprentice, have to carry the torch.

agreed. i dont wanna get old haha but i want to pass on my music and write stuff. make people understand that whats going on musically is more important than whats going on lyically (IMGL Quote There)

agreed. i dont wanna get old haha but i want to pass on my music and write stuff. make people understand that whats going on musically is more important than whats going on lyically (IMGL Quote There)

Exactly.

Take "Fireflies" as an example. I have heard at least one misguided soul say that he liked it because the words were about nature and that he didn't like songs about women, sex, drugs, violence, or money. So I was like "So you could basically care less about the music itself".

This guy

A. Was a d-bag

B. Thought that lyrics were the music.

It all comes down to the media pounding into our minds that music doesn't matter and we should buy what everyone else is buying. Music is rarely for the enjoyment anymore. It's either for being "popular" or for dancing to. (something I was never very fond of)

Exactly.

Take "Fireflies" as an example. I have heard at least one misguided soul say that he liked it because the words were about nature and that he didn't like songs about women, sex, drugs, violence, or money. So I was like "So you could basically care less about the music itself".

This guy

A. Was a d-bag

B. Thought that lyrics were the music.

It all comes down to the media pounding into our minds that music doesn't matter and we should buy what everyone else is buying. Music is rarely for the enjoyment anymore. It's either for being "popular" or for dancing to. (something I was never very fond of)

i hate dancing.

i started to ask kids so why do you like this (this referring to Fireflies once again)?, we like the lyrics (which are ungodly awful).

its jaw dropping. its pathetic. i mean i wouldnt mind if there was soul in the song i would respect it but i can tell these lyrics were made up on spot. i cant show most of my friends live Zeppelin becuase they complain "theres not enough singing" (Dazed and Confused) and im like amazed by the guitar work going on. i just want people to understand that. to LISTEN to the song, not just hear it and the lyrics!

the only song ill listen to with no instruments because it has 100% SOUL!!!!

[

That's yet another thing with music today.

It's manufactured. Pretty soon well be listening to f-ing robot music instead of soulfull and instrumental music that can be recreated easily, affectively, and soulfully live.

That's yet another thing with music today.

It's manufactured. Pretty soon well be listening to f-ing robot music instead of soulfull and instrumental music that can be recreated easily, affectively, and soulfully live.

exactly! but passionate music was lost a while back my friend. i just know when something is real and from the heart, and when its not. Fireflies isnt!

exactly! but passionate music was lost a while back my friend. i just know when something is real and from the heart, and when its not. Fireflies isnt!

Well, it died slowly starting in 1980. It's obviously the worst it's ever been in the modern era. Up until now the 80's were a big step down from the 70's but were still bearable and The 90's still had some sparks here and there, but the 00's couldn't get much worse (I say couldn't instead of any because we still have at least another two years to go lol).

Well, it died slowly starting in 1980. It's obviously the worst it's ever been in the modern era. Up until now the 80's were a big step down from the 70's but were still bearable and The 90's still had some sparks here and there, but the 00's couldn't get much worse (I say couldn't instead of any because we still have at least another two years to go lol).

haha. yeah i agree there were a few good bands in 80's and 90's but after Bonzo died (even though i wasnt alive) it seemed like music was going downward

haha. yeah i agree there were a few good bands in 80's and 90's but after Bonzo died (even though i wasnt alive) it seemed like music was going downward

Yeah, you can tell by all that " one hit wonders of the 80's" crap on vh1.

Well Im going to bed even thoughwe don't have school tomorrow because of the snow. :chickeddance::banana:

I'm assuming you got some too, being in Virginia. Have sweet dreams of getting hugs from lightning bugs!

• 2 weeks later...

There is actually some really good music being made nowadays, but you have to know where to find it. I stopped listening to commercial radio many years ago, and what is considered "hip" and popular.

BOT, I personally can not recall meeting any Zep haters, in fact they are one of the few bands that most people I know agree on in a positive way. They were quite big when I was in high school, lots of Zep-heads around then and I still wear Zeppelin t-shirts and never get any negative responses when I wear them.

People that just outright shit on music being made today because it's not Led Zeppelin or bands like them are just silly. I don't like Miley Cyrus or Lady Gaga or about 90% of what is on the radio right now, but there's still plenty of stuff I DO love, and that's because I choose to seek it out.

Music did not "die" in 1980. Music is continuing to evolve and will keep doing so until the end of time. You can either bitch that bands like Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd or The Who or The Beatles or The Rolling Stones don't exist anymore and therefore nothing is good, or can you get off your duffs, Google around and find some current stuff that is just as good. Muse, Goldfrapp, Sigur Ros, Fleet Foxes, Dead Weather, The Black Keys, Air, Bright Eyes.....those are all groups/artists that have released music in the last 10 years. All of it is fan-farkin-tastic and well worth seeking out. However if you're of the opinion that nothing good happened after 1980, you'd never know about their work. Which sucks because you're missing out.

I just don't get it -- I love a lot of older music, stuff from the 1940s-1979.....but come on.

Yeah.

It's just music that, in my opinion is not, for lack of a better term, pure. There are a few bands out there now(Phish just had a reunion, and RHCP's) that I like.

The pop music was never something that I liked from any generation, but especially now. It was always domianted by vocal-based, simple, catchy melodies and beats. Today, with the additions of rap, and all of this stuff where it's like hearing a robot sing just makes it worse for me. But the rock music of today, in my opinion, just doesn't have a good sound in general. In general, I don't like the singers, guitarists, guitar tone, or song composition.

But, again that's just me.

None of the groups I listed are outright "rock" or "pop" bands. They do a mix of all types of genres. Sometimes all in the same album. I don't care for rap or Auto-Tune either, but not every single artist out there right now uses it. Also, there's more music out there than just balls-to-the-wall rock bands.

You need to open up your box a little. You're missing out on some fantastic stuff.

Try the recent interview in Mojo, or I could have heard it on the BBC4 radio shows broadcast at the end of the year. I will try to find some links in the next few days...

Page-ist-

Well, I have gone through all the Page interviews I read toward the beginning of the year and I cannot find the quote I was looking for. I can only fall back on his remark that guitars don't ask for alimony! I am sorry to disappoint a fellow Page enthusiast, but as I re-watch "It Might Get Loud" and read through my growing LZ library, I will be on the lookout for anything else in this vein.

People that just outright shit on music being made today because it's not Led Zeppelin or bands like them are just silly. I don't like Miley Cyrus or Lady Gaga or about 90% of what is on the radio right now, but there's still plenty of stuff I DO love, and that's because I choose to seek it out.

Music did not "die" in 1980. Music is continuing to evolve and will keep doing so until the end of time. You can either bitch that bands like Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd or The Who or The Beatles or The Rolling Stones don't exist anymore and therefore nothing is good, or can you get off your duffs, Google around and find some current stuff that is just as good. Muse, Goldfrapp, Sigur Ros, Fleet Foxes, Dead Weather, The Black Keys, Air, Bright Eyes.....those are all groups/artists that have released music in the last 10 years. All of it is fan-farkin-tastic and well worth seeking out. However if you're of the opinion that nothing good happened after 1980, you'd never know about their work. Which sucks because you're missing out.

I just don't get it -- I love a lot of older music, stuff from the 1940s-1979.....but come on.

No kidding, and that just skims the surface.

I was around during the heyday of Zeppelin and co., and I don't think music ended in 1980, and nor do they. Robert, Jimmy and JPJ, and most of their contemporaries, are totally open to and interested in new music--it's very strange to me that many of their fans, especially the younger ones, have such narrow views of music when the guys they admire have minds that are so open.

Music was dominated by garbage in the 90's I would say. It makes it hard for people with a good taste in music to start bands and get known. I dunno, I just can't see anything good about the popular music today. I would give anything to be alive in the 70's.

Page-ist-

Well, I have gone through all the Page interviews I read toward the beginning of the year and I cannot find the quote I was looking for. I can only fall back on his remark that guitars don't ask for alimony! I am sorry to disappoint a fellow Page enthusiast, but as I re-watch "It Might Get Loud" and read through my growing LZ library, I will be on the lookout for anything else in this vein.

That's quite alright, Janet. Much thanks for the effort. :)

None of the groups I listed are outright "rock" or "pop" bands. They do a mix of all types of genres. Sometimes all in the same album. I don't care for rap or Auto-Tune either, but not every single artist out there right now uses it. Also, there's more music out there than just balls-to-the-wall rock bands.

You need to open up your box a little. You're missing out on some fantastic stuff.

Very true about the mix of genres. Just about every band I love has at least expirimented with other types of music while still being able to be classified in the vast melting pot that is Rock music:

Led Zeppelin

Pink Floyd

Phish(a modern band)

Beatles

Eric Clapton

To name a few of the major ones. I'm not saying that all music today flat out sucks(If I did, then it was just poor wording by me as usual), Im just saying that the kind of music I enjoy is about as weak as it's ever been.

Well, it's been dying slowly starting in 1980. It's obviously the worst it's ever been in the modern era. Up until now the 80's were a big step down from the 70's but were still bearable and The 90's still had some sparks here and there, but the 00's couldn't get much worse (I say couldn't instead of any because we still have at least another two years to go lol).

Oooops. Was trying to edit it and accidentily quoted it, sorry.

No kidding, and that just skims the surface.

I was around during the heyday of Zeppelin and co., and I don't think music ended in 1980, and nor do they. Robert, Jimmy and JPJ, and most of their contemporaries, are totally open to and interested in new music--it's very strange to me that many of their fans, especially the younger ones, have such narrow views of music when the guys they admire have minds that are so open.

I would love to hear some of the groups that the guys have shown interest in (besides Black Crowes, Alison Krouss, Leona Lewis, White Stripes, ect.). I'm not trying to be ugly or anything, I just haven't seen any interviews or stuff where they mention too many artists of today.

I would love to hear some of the groups that the guys have shown interest in (besides Black Crowes, Alison Krouss, Leona Lewis, White Stripes, ect.). I'm not trying to be ugly or anything, I just haven't seen any interviews or stuff where they mention too many artists of today.

now that you mention it. neither have i

Well, Robert, for instance is constantly going to see new bands (and doing one-off appearances with them), including many bands that would be classified as world music, like Tinariwen--he's been interviewed in world music magazines about these interests many times--as well as bands like the Black Keys. Jimmy's interests I know less about, except that he was a fan of Jack White's before they met to do that interview a couple of years ago, and Jonesy is way up there exploring avant garde music, as well as the bands that brought TCV together, the Foo Fighters (there's another one Jimmy's on the record as liking) and QOTSA. You'll notice that when they do solo projects, it's always with people from a more recent musical vintage than themselves, not people whose heritage is in the 70s. Trust me, the later 70s in particular weren't that great apart from Zep! (Disco!!)

He's talked about Kasabian as well as others that have been mentioned.

Archived