Have you ever met Zep hater?

_Lena_Zep

• 4 weeks later...

I find some on YT after reading Wikipedia, favorite amo - they ripped evey blues artist known to man etc etc.

serioussly some posters will hijack a vid, repling to every comment for months because they must have the last word.

The term "hater" is way overused. Someone doesn't agree with you, gives reasons why they don't agree with you...and this makes them a "hater"? Ah the modern world, nothing better I swear....

There have always been people I've known who didn't like Zeppelin for one reason or another. I never tried to "convert" them either. If a high school friend of mine back in '72 preferred Machine Head to Led IV, what was I going to do to change his mind? Nothing. I never even tried. Music is a personal thing, always has been and always will be. You like what you like, or don't.

I did find out something though reading this thread. There's still an active rockabilly culture in the United States? Jeez, who knew! Man talk about fringe/retro...........

Sorry, I'm hatin' now aren't I.

hater is more commonly known for someone who is giving you shit because you like something they think is lame or something they dont like. the haters i know usually cant give me one good reason for why they dont like something. their reasoning is just a usual answer.

i actually had a friend who refused to Zeppelin because she said they have too much music and was too afraid to get into them for that reason so she just trashed talked them. it was fucking annoying and i made her listen to them with me until she realized that she was wrong ;) haha.

hater is more commonly known for someone who is giving you shit because you like something they think is lame or something they dont like. the haters i know usually cant give me one good reason for why they dont like something. their reasoning is just a usual answer.

While I agree with you for the most part, I think the purpose of this thread was more for the reasons dazedcat said. There's a lot of people here who take it personally when someone tells them they don't like Led Zeppelin. Which is ridiculous, if you want the truth.

While I agree with you for the most part, I think the purpose of this thread was more for the reasons dazedcat said. There's a lot of people here who take it personally when someone tells them they don't like Led Zeppelin. Which is ridiculous, if you want the truth.

true, true. i concur. people tell me they dont like Zeppelin all the time and they are my favorite band and i dont carwe. it doesnt bother me. i was just stating what a hater basically is.

I only had one incident in college. It was in a humanities class, and I can't say she was a 'hater', but she was ignorant.

It was a discussion on Satan and of course the backmasking (or whatever that is called) came up. Oy vey, people are really really ignorant. She just 'hated' in general I think.

• 1 month later...

Well, sort of...they weren't really haters just pests trying to prove that they were with the "in crowd" and crap like that..I'm talking about my pesky classmates from high school...they called Led Zep "old music" and pretty much turned up their noses and said "oooh...they are like so last century!"....turns out that they used to constantly keep track of what was "hot" in the music charts and stuff just to appear "cool" and "well informed" :lol:....But I really think that they are missing out on a lot by not lending their ears to one of the best bands, the rock and roll genre could ever hope for! Anyway, it aint my business cos its their f*ckin loss! :P

• 2 weeks later...

When youre 13 years old like me, Its hard to find any friends that like Led Zeppelin or any other classic rock band. When I asked one of my friends to name three Led Zep songs he said Stairway to heaven aaaaannnnnnddddddd......umm.....uh...ummm........The one with the scream!

Im a musical minority with my friends:(

This thread has for all practical purposes turned into a microcosm of the aging process. There are the usual youngsters and their "problems" of not understanding why everyone isn't just like them and their evil twins that think they understand more than everyone else. The slightly older kids, old enough that the law recognizes them as adults but still green enough to think that taste in music, or anything, qualifies who you can like or love. Then you have adults who have been through all that telling them to relax, it isn't worth worrying about.

Personally as silly as it all seems I loved that part of being young and I miss it. I'd trade my real issues, ones that can possibly affect my existence and well-being, for being carefree enough to argue with friends about band X being better than band Y. Enjoy it while you can, there will come a time when all of that will seem very far away and insignificant.

Unfortunally I met some idiots that keep saying that LZ is boring because of acustics songs like ''Going to California'' or ''That's the Way''. But what do they know? I just wish some day they realize that they're wrong <_<

^^ Really? That's bizarre--usually people who don't know much about Zeppelin only know Whole Lotta Love, or Stairway. If they've gotten into the band enough to have heard That's The Way, you'd think by definition they'd be a bit more broad-minded.

Personally as silly as it all seems I loved that part of being young and I miss it. I'd trade my real issues, ones that can possibly affect my existence and well-being, for being carefree enough to argue with friends about band X being better than band Y. Enjoy it while you can, there will come a time when all of that will seem very far away and insignificant.

Ah yes, happy days--Beatles or Stones, because you're not allowed to like both? Mods or rockers? And you can't be my friend anymore if you pick the wrong one. :D

Ah yes, happy days--Beatles or Stones, because you're not allowed to like both? Mods or rockers? And you can't be my friend anymore if you pick the wrong one. :D

My dad was more into the Stones than the Beatles. Still is, actually. So am I, now that I think about it. The Beatles did some good songs, but I think they're kind of overrated by people. The Stones probably should have called it quits twenty years ago, but from 1966-1973....they were kings.

My dad was more into the Stones than the Beatles. Still is, actually. So am I, now that I think about it. The Beatles did some good songs, but I think they're kind of overrated by people. The Stones probably should have called it quits twenty years ago, but from 1966-1973....they were kings.

If all artists like Dylan, Beach Boys and the Beatles ever did was parlay their fame to take total control of their music in the studio they can't be rated high enough. Sometimes it's necessary to separate an artist's music from their accomplishments to understand their impact. Every band after the Beatles owes a debt of gratitude to their experimentation in the studio.

I happen to disagree. I think there were a lot of bands that did experimentation of their own in the studio and get almost no recognition for it -- and none of what they did related in any way to anything the Beatles did. I'm not saying the Beatles sucked or anything, just that I think musically they're a tad overrated.

I didn't intend to start a Stones vs. Beatles debate, just saying that in the old days that was the sort of thing we used to worry about before we had to worry about families, mortgages, etc., and life seemed simpler then. :D I liked both bands, still do (although one is by far my favorite), but back then you had to be in one camp or the other.

I happen to disagree. I think there were a lot of bands that did experimentation of their own in the studio and get almost no recognition for it -- and none of what they did related in any way to anything the Beatles did. I'm not saying the Beatles sucked or anything, just that I think musically they're a tad overrated.

What artists experimented in the studio to the degree the Beatles did before them? Aside from the odd, and random examples of really wet reverb and feedback I can't think of one artist that used the studio as a tool like they did prior to their doing it. It was a direct result of their work that record company owners, studio owners, recording engineers etc. began to trust the opinons and ideas of musicians that allowed artists after to experiment. Before that those that owned and ran the biz dictated what could or couldn't be done by recording artists. It has less to do with any technique the Beatles pioneered and everything to do with their success that opened the door for others to walk through.

I didn't intend to start a Stones vs. Beatles debate, just saying that in the old days that was the sort of thing we used to worry about before we had to worry about families, mortgages, etc., and life seemed simpler then. :D I liked both bands, still do (although one is by far my favorite), but back then you had to be in one camp or the other.

I have no desire to engage in that debate, or hijack this thread, but some artists deserve the recognition they get no matter how inflated due to what they accomplished whether a person is a fan of said artist or not. I'm certainly not a big Beatles fan but I understand how important they were. For the record I prefer the Stones, always have.

Have I met a Zep Hater?...I am not sure exactly about a "Hater" ...it was in my senior years of high school, '79 or '80.. as the new punk movement was taking over, Patti Smith was the new Popular Artist with Easter, there were two senior students in my class o.k. (Don and Karen!!), they were the "cut above the rest", the "New Movement" types, they always sat apart from all of the students, and I remember being "cut-off" I was part of the Zep and Queen League...we were all so young, bunch of high school kids, trying to find our place in society (as usual), I am sure they realized at some point in their life, as to what I am saying now...it was time to be young!! I liked the Police later myself but I was not a Zep Hater absolutely NOT!!! I liked Jimmy Too Much ;) ;) , still do and will do.. :wub::D :D

I'm pleased to learn that Bono is not a Zep hater, and indeed calls himself a fan of said group:

This bit is from Reuters report on Mr. Bono taking tea with Russian leader Dmitry Medvedev:

The two men also shared jokes about their tastes in music, with Bono declaring: "I come here to cross the great divide between me, a Led Zeppelin fan, and you, the Deep Purple fan." Medvedev, who has made much fuss of his devotion to the veteran British hard rock group, chuckled but replied in English that he also counted Led Zeppelin amongst his favorites.

full article here: http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE67N4DM20100824

• 3 years later...

My mother hated Zeppelin in high school (which was early 80's) because everyone who listened to Zep were stoners and she was just an alcoholic (much better eh?) lol but since I've gotten into Zep she's came around and has asked me about several songs, which is funny because I smoke quite often haha. But besides that I've never met someone who disliked them, if I was wearing my Zep shirt and someone said Zep sucks.. Whoooo! I would freak out!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived