Led Zeppelin or Related on YouTube

The following summer, Deep Purple made their US debut in San Antonio. Ritchie Blackmoore fell ill. The band didn't want to cancel their American debut. Enter Chris Geppart - later known as Christopher Cross - on lead guitar for one night. True story.

21 hours ago, Zep Hed said:

The following summer, Deep Purple made their US debut in San Antonio. Ritchie Blackmoore fell ill. The band didn't want to cancel their American debut. Enter Chris Geppart - later known as Christopher Cross - on lead guitar for one night. True story.

As far as I know Deep Purple made their US debut on 18th October 1968 as support of Cream at the LA Forum. One day earlier they appeared on US TV show "The Dating Game". I found no record of a San Antonio concert on their first US tour and never heard of a concert where any member was replaced by a substitute musician. What is the source of this Blackmore/Cross story?

3 hours ago, Autumn Moon said:

As far as I know Deep Purple made their US debut on 18th October 1968 as support of Cream at the LA Forum. One day earlier they appeared on US TV show "The Dating Game". I found no record of a San Antonio concert on their first US tour and never heard of a concert where any member was replaced by a substitute musician. What is the source of this Blackmore/Cross story?

Perhaps the reference to Purple's US debut was the reconfigured band, but Chris relates the story in The Yacht Rock Book by Greg Prato; the tale has been retold in many an article since. Jon Lord denied the story perhaps because he favored skipping the gig that night but was overruled. The San Antonio gig was 28 Aug 70

20 hours ago, Zep Hed said:

Perhaps the reference to Purple's US debut was the reconfigured band, but Chris relates the story in The Yacht Rock Book by Greg Prato; the tale has been retold in many an article since. Jon Lord denied the story perhaps because he favored skipping the gig that night but was overruled. The San Antonio gig was 28 Aug 70

Thanks for the information, I´ll check that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, SteveZ98 said:

I enjoyed this and I’m going to watch the next part on the 98 tour. There’s no doubt that by the end of this 95/95 tour, and especially in ‘98, Jimmy had really got his feel back on a consistent level and played some magical moments unseen, in my opinion, for twenty years or more

Like the narrator, I wasn’t crazy on Michael Lee either. His enthusiasm was great but I just didn’t dig his sound. But, hey ho, it doesn’t matter, Page and Plant were doing some great gigs. I’m glad I saw them in this phase: three times in ‘95 and twice in ‘98, including Glastonbury and Reading festivals. 

when my mate got married in the early 00s, he said, “I haven’t been this happy since Jimmy played Heartbreaker at Reading”