Led Zep-Woodstock

Since everyone in rock radio is celebrating the 40th anniversary of WOODSTOCK.

I heard that Led Zeppelin was invited to join but they turned down the offer. Just imagine how greater Woodstock would have been with the addition of Led Zeppelin. Talk about earth shattering. I believe that they might have been working on Led Zeppelin II at the time(i maybe wrong). But talk about a great line-up Joplin,Who,Hendrix and Zeppelin. Its too bad that they said no thanks cuz that would have been a great show.post-12731-125076049183_thumb.jpg

This has been brought up before by others on here and most people seem to agree with Peter Grant's decision that LZ shouldn't have been just another act on the bill. Personally, I wish they had done it. I would have loved to see the hippies freak out during the bow solo of D&C. Zep would probably have blown everyone away too. :)

Since everyone in rock radio is celebrating the 40th anniversary of WOODSTOCK.

I heard that Led Zeppelin was invited to join but they turned down the offer. Just imagine how greater Woodstock would have been with the addition of Led Zeppelin. Talk about earth shattering. I believe that they might have been working on Led Zeppelin II at the time(i maybe wrong). But talk about a great line-up Joplin,Who,Hendrix and Zeppelin. Its too bad that they said no thanks cuz that would have been a great show.post-12731-125076049183_thumb.jpg

Yeah, a part of me wishes that when I watch the Woodstock film, that I could've seen Zeppelin on there. but I am also glad that Zeppelin hasn't been trapped by the constant association with Woodstock like many other bands that played there.

I don't think they would have been trapped by Woodstock and just associated with that. They went so far after that period that their performance there would have been most likely quite noteworthy and some but much better things after that. They would never have just had to live up to that.

I can imagine that part of the reason Grant would've turned it down was because The Who was there, and their styles were very similar at the time and maybe he didn't want direct comparisons when Zeppelin were still a new band and The Who had already been around a few years.

The argument that they would've been "just another band on the bill" holds zero water because a month earlier they were at the Atlanta International Pop Festival which had just as many bands as Woodstock, and then two weeks after Woodstock they played the Texas International Pop Festival, another three-day event with a ton of bands. One noteworthy difference: the Who wasn't at either of those other fests.

I can imagine that part of the reason Grant would've turned it down was because The Who was there, and their styles were very similar at the time and maybe he didn't want direct comparisons when Zeppelin were still a new band and The Who had already been around a few years.

The argument that they would've been "just another band on the bill" holds zero water because a month earlier they were at the Atlanta International Pop Festival which had just as many bands as Woodstock, and then two weeks after Woodstock they played the Texas International Pop Festival, another three-day event with a ton of bands. One noteworthy difference: the Who wasn't at either of those other fests.

Yup I agree, I don't get it why people say Grant said they would have just been another band on the bill. They would have blown other bands off the stage! Just listen to the Texas International Pop Festival. Although the other bands are also smokin'. B)

I think ur right they did go to the bath festival. But nobody remembers the bath EVERYONE remembers WOODSTOCK.

it was brave for them not to do woodstock, a very clever and long term idea that has ultimately worked in their favour. people in the uk remember bath, people and the british press began to relise how good zeppelin were.

Monday morning wouldnt matter to me. I could listen to Led Zep anyday of the week.

Obviously we all would listen to Zeppelin anytime/day of the week. But to be the show closer on Monday morning would have been completely anti-climatic compared to the rest of the show. Even though it would have meant for another great sounding soundboard show to listen to, I am still glad they didn't participate in the festival. Peace.

It would have been great just because any more footage of Zeppelin live is great, but not being at Woodstock did nothing to slow them down. Their legacy wasn't hurt and they went on to dominate the 70's. Them and The Who together on that grand stage would have been a treat though.