39 Years Since Hendrix Died

Xtazy

Hi there...from where I come from, it was the 18th of September. FYI, Auckland is 11 and half hours ahead of the EU, 12 and a half hours ahead of the UK and I think about nearly 21 hours ahead of the US! Pretty big difference in time zones there mate!

Anyway, I would like to correct myself when I said Hendrix is one of the greatest guitars to walk the earth. Correction : He is the GREATEST guitarist ever. Period. No one could and will never ever be on par with Hendrix, IMHO. It is just not possible!

Here are some more of my favs :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad2EPO_y0ps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUg7xl4kKUw&p=AB32A8B5775936D4&playnext=1&index=45

After hearing the song "Third Stone From The Sun", I pretty much asked myself this..."how many guitarists actually perfected the technique of depicting the landing of aliens on planet earth using their guitar?"....Only Hendrix could pull off such a thing! Doesn't that tell you something? I truly believe that not even blokes like Jimmy Page, Pete Townsend and Eric Clapton can possibly beat Hendrix!

There is this guy named Jimmy Page! Far far better than Hendrix.

LOL! Of course I know about Jimmy Page! That's precisely why I'm here Rick! I'm a Zep Head too remember? :lol:;)

I have heard it all. All the material by both great guitarists. And I put Clapton in that mix too. But to me Page comes out on top. He had so many great song riffs. True, Hendrix died way too soon. But so did Randy Rhodes. (sorry if I spelled his name wrong, I have no clue how he spells it). But he had incredible potantial too. Duane Allman died too soon. But Page to me played had it all. And he played many styles. And he not only played electric, he played acoustic, mandolin, pedal steel and he mixed rock with many types of music. He is beyond belief. Untouchable. The best. Page is the greatest ever.

Anyway, I would like to correct myself when I said Hendrix is one of the greatest guitars to walk the earth. Correction : He is the GREATEST guitarist ever. Period. No one could and will never ever be on par with Hendrix, IMHO. It is just not possible!

Totally agree. As much as I love a lot of other guitarists and the work they did, Hendrix sits in a class all by himself. I've got no problem admitting that the guys I like can't hold a candle to him. I still haven't heard a better version of the Star-Spangled Banner and I doubt I ever will.

I have heard it all. All the material by both great guitarists. And I put Clapton in that mix too. But to me Page comes out on top. He had so many great song riffs. True, Hendrix died way too soon. But so did Randy Rhodes. (sorry if I spelled his name wrong, I have no clue how he spells it). But he had incredible potantial too. Duane Allman died too soon. But Page to me played had it all. And he played many styles. And he not only played electric, he played acoustic, mandolin, pedal steel and he mixed rock with many types of music. He is beyond belief. Untouchable. The best. Page is the greatest ever.

I agree, and it's a matter of choice who you think is the better guitarist. Don't get me wrong, I love Jimmy Page and consider him the quintessential rock star of all time, but even now when I see Hendrix play at the Monterrey Pop Festival, i'm still amazed at how far ahead of his time he was . The guy was the ultimate wizard of the electric guitar and you can understand why Pete Townsend didn't want to go on after him.

It's kind of strange, but I remember that day 40 years ago like it was yesterday. I was in my freshman year of high school and someone came up to me and said Hendrix was dead and I thought he was joking. When I found out it wasn't a joke, I felt bummed for several days. The guy was truly one of my heroes and wished he would have lived longer. That's usually said of someone who dies young and no one knows what might have happened if they had stayed around a little longer. I guess that's just part of life. One thing is for sure. Jimi Hendrix did an awful lot in the three and a half years he was on the scene.

Still being felt to this day.

I agree, and it's a matter of choice who you think is the better guitarist. Don't get me wrong, I love Jimmy Page and consider him the quintessential rock star of all time, but even now when I see Hendrix play at the Monterrey Pop Festival, i'm still amazed at how far ahead of his time he was . The guy was the ultimate wizard of the electric guitar and you can understand why Pete Townsend didn't want to go on after him.

You said you agree? So you do agree Page is the best? As for the statement by Electro about him being in a class by himself, yeah right. What about Page and Clapton? Page is the best by far. I knew this guy named Mike Fairchild in Rochester NY years ago. Everyone locally knew who he was. He worshipped Hendrix. And he could play anyting and everything Hendrix ever did including the Star Spangled Banner with his teeth. He was great. Page is the best by far. No contest.

One thing is for sure. Jimi Hendrix did an awful lot in the three and a half years he was on the scene.

I'm amazed there was so much unreleased material (live and otherwise) left in the vault, and it's still being released. In addition to the upcoming boxset, apparently there's even more but it may never see the light of day due to litigation. This, according to something I heard on XM's Deep Tracks channel recently.

You said you agree? So you do agree Page is the best? As for the statement by Electro about him being in a class by himself, yeah right. What about Page and Clapton? Page is the best by far. I knew this guy named Mike Fairchild in Rochester NY years ago. Everyone locally knew who he was. He worshipped Hendrix. And he could play anyting and everything Hendrix ever did including the Star Spangled Banner with his teeth. He was great. Page is the best by far. No contest.

The thing is, Hendrix set a standard and he set the bar very , very high. His contemporary's considered him the best and I would find it very hard to disagree with them

Hi there...from where I come from, it was the 18th of September. FYI, Auckland is 11 and half hours ahead of the EU, 12 and a half hours ahead of the UK and I think about nearly 21 hours ahead of the US! Pretty big difference in time zones there mate!

Yes, I was just being pedantic, but seeing as the original poster was a year out I think we can let it go.

Rock N' Rollin' Man: excellent selection. The best electric guitar performance I've ever heard.

RB

Alright, I got your point Rick but Hendrix to me will always remain the greatest! Anyway, I just want to know what your first Hendrix album was and what is your absolute fav? I pretty much got into Hendrix when I was 14 although I heard Purple Haze for the first time when I was 6! My fav album by The Experience is "Are You Experienced" because IMO, that's the most psychedelic sounding (to me that is!)

I inherited Are You Experienced from my dad when his turntable died. I also have Electric Ladyland and Valleys of Neptune. I need to pick up Axis: Bold As Love.

Electro, you have to pick up Axis! It is just beyond this world awesome! Look out for tracks like "If 6 Was 9", "Spanish Castle Magic", "Little Wing", "Castles Made of Sand", "Bold As Love" and "Little Miss Lover". Those are the highlights! 39 minutes of pure bliss! :D

• 4 months later...

Archived