I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

bigstickbonzo

1 hour ago, kingzoso said:

Depending on your definition of "caliber of actors", I can think of some actors in the past twenty years who have (I believe) greatly contributed to the profession of acting:

James Gandolfini (The Sopranos) 

Edie Falco (The Sopranos/Nurse Jackie)                                               

Bryan Cranston (Breaking Bad)       

Aaron Paul (Breaking Bad)             

Peter Dinklage (Game of Thrones) 

Lena Heady (Game of Thrones)     

Emilia Clarke (Game of Thrones)   

Liev Schreiber (Ray Donovan)         

Paula Malcomson (Ray Donovan)

Claire Danes (Homeland)              

Damian Lewis (Homeland)         

Michael Kenneth Williams (The Wire)                                     

Dominic West (The Wire)         

Jon Hamm (Mad Men)                   

Christina Hendricks (Mad Men)     

Elisabeth Moss (Mad Men)             

Anna Paquin (True Blood)             

Melissa Roxburgh (Manifest)     

Kyle Chandler (Friday Night Lights)                                       

Connie Britton (Friday Night Lights)                                       

Steve Buscemi (Boardwalk Empire)                                       

Bob Odenkirk (Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul)     

Rhea Seehorn (Better Call Saul)     

Jonathon Banks (Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul)                       

Mary Louise Parker (Weeds)     

David Duchovny (Californication)       

Jason Bateman (Ozark)                   

Laura Linney (Ozark)                         

Julia Garner (Ozark) ... to name more than a few.

All these actors may not be "movie stars" but I think that each one has brought acting to a whole new level unprecedented in the history of television.  Almost all of them have received numerous awards and accolades for their work(s).

All these actors and their respective shows/series were made by HBO, AMC, Showtime and Netflix (with the exception of Friday Night Lights which aired on NBC). 

Just my opinion...

I see Ray Donavan is on your list.  Wasn't that messed up how they just cut it off right in the middle of the new season?   I still have no idea why?  Jon Voight and Liev Shriver were not happy about it. Showtime did it.  Bastards.

Oh, and you might as well watch TV the way your Cards are playing.  My Orioles are on the rise dude

17 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

I see Ray Donavan is on your list.  Wasn't that messed up how they just cut it off right in the middle of the new season?   I still have no idea why?  Jon Voight and Liev Shriver were not happy about it. Showtime did it.  Bastards.

Oh, and you might as well watch TV the way your Cards are playing.  My Orioles are on the rise dude

Giants are drowning at .500. They won 107 games last year. 🤪

JON VOIGHT-2.webp

11 hours ago, redrum said:

Giants are drowning at .500. They won 107 games last year. 🤪

JON VOIGHT-2.webp

Yes they are toast this year.  Sorry.  The Dodgers lineup is loaded.  On paper they are the best team.  No doubt. but there are many others that are good and my Orioles are on the rise.

4 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Yes they are toast this year.  Sorry.  The Dodgers lineup is loaded.  On paper they are the best team.  No doubt. but there are many others that are good and my Orioles are on the rise.

I don't know if SF is playing bad because of injuries or are they just playing bad so they can move to another city?

I'd rather see Baltimore than the Yankees any day. 

NO PRISONERS.gif

On 7/24/2022 at 11:32 PM, kingzoso said:

Depending on your definition of "caliber of actors", I can think of some actors in the past twenty years who have (I believe) greatly contributed to the profession of acting:

James Gandolfini (The Sopranos) 

Edie Falco (The Sopranos/Nurse Jackie)                                               

Bryan Cranston (Breaking Bad)       

Aaron Paul (Breaking Bad)             

Peter Dinklage (Game of Thrones) 

Lena Heady (Game of Thrones)     

Emilia Clarke (Game of Thrones)   

Liev Schreiber (Ray Donovan)         

Paula Malcomson (Ray Donovan)

Claire Danes (Homeland)              

Damian Lewis (Homeland)         

Michael Kenneth Williams (The Wire)                                     

Dominic West (The Wire)         

Jon Hamm (Mad Men)                   

Christina Hendricks (Mad Men)     

Elisabeth Moss (Mad Men)             

Anna Paquin (True Blood)             

Melissa Roxburgh (Manifest)     

Kyle Chandler (Friday Night Lights)                                       

Connie Britton (Friday Night Lights)                                       

Steve Buscemi (Boardwalk Empire)                                       

Bob Odenkirk (Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul)     

Rhea Seehorn (Better Call Saul)     

Jonathon Banks (Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul)                       

Mary Louise Parker (Weeds)     

David Duchovny (Californication)       

Jason Bateman (Ozark)                   

Laura Linney (Ozark)                         

Julia Garner (Ozark) ... to name more than a few.

All these actors may not be "movie stars" but I think that each one has brought acting to a whole new level unprecedented in the history of television.  Almost all of them have received numerous awards and accolades for their work(s).

All these actors and their respective shows/series were made by HBO, AMC, Showtime and Netflix (with the exception of Friday Night Lights which aired on NBC). 

Just my opinion...

I agree with a majority if not all of them, Odenkirk has been around since the early 90’s, same with James G, one of my favorites, as well as most of that list all came from the 1990’s with the exception of a few who were from the 2010’s. Really Emile Clark being the lone 2010. My point was, with all of the new services it seems as if it has diluted or crowded the space we once had. I don’t know if you are wanting to argue against my point, but everyone of those actors with the exception of a few were in many things in the late 80’s and 90’s and also have contributed to great shows in the 2000’s. We have never had so many choices in shows, and movies. I don’t know that it is a good or bad thing. Maybe it is allowing for young aspiring writers, directors, and actors to flex their talents. We also have a tremendous amount of crap at our disposal. I suppose everything goes in cycles. But the sheer amount of product at our disposal doesn’t make it a good thing. 

Cheers. 

Watched "Where the Crawdads Sing" this weekend.  One of my Top 10 favorite books of all time - so well written and packed with emotion.  How a movie with such great source material can fall flat and deliver NONE of the emotion from the book is unfathomable to me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As a David Bowie fan, there was no way I was missing "Moonage Daydream" in IMAX. Plus a Q & A with the director Brett Morgen ("The Kid Stays in the Picture", "Montage of Heck", "Jane"). Even better, they gave out some cool Bowie swag including an all-Bowie issue of Creem.

Do not go expecting a straight biopic or "Behind the Music"-style music doc with all the dreariness that entails. "Moonage Daydream" is a full immersion experience. It is not about telling you about Bowie and connecting the dots from A to B to C to Z. It is more about making you feel Bowie. There are no random talking heads, no overarching narrator, no Dave Grohl. It is a pure sound and vision sensory overload of Bowie's art. From his music to films and stage and fashion and painting. There is a great clip from when he played the "Elephant Man" on Broadway.
As such, I don't know if it will convert Bowie novices into fans. It will depend on how much they are willing to forego the usual documentary clichés and just go with the flow. Fans who already know the details of Bowie's life will probably enjoy "Moonage Daydream" more.
There is priceless footage (including 1978 Earls Court), as one would expect given access to Bowie's archive of five million items. But there are famous bits surprisingly not used (no "Starman" from TOTP July 1972) and no mention of first wife Angie Bowie.
But not since Todd Haynes' "Velvet Underground" has a documentary riveted me to my seat. For me, it definitely was worth seeing in IMAX.
You only have a week to see it.
306990189_3715394775353603_6757856380831852799_n.jpg.a5ef283e9a4242364fda85477d271d8b.jpg
306969243_3715967341963013_1222815459910262840_n.thumb.jpg.bc7825d10d8cdec9584bccd6283fc69c.jpg
306193753_3715952428631171_575283895818968646_n.thumb.jpg.a80922bb6be761fad78cf503951bd558.jpg