Obama awarded Nobel Peace prize

TypeO

The Nobel Peace prize has become completely political, which is a disgrace.

Story here.

Rather than recognizing concrete achievement, the 2009 prize appeared intended to support initiatives that have yet to bear fruit: reducing the world stock of nuclear arms, easing American conflicts with Muslim nations and strengthening the U.S. role in combating climate change.

and...

The committee chairman said after awarding the 2002 prize to former Democratic President Jimmy Carter, for his mediation in international conflicts, that it should be seen as a "kick in the leg" to the Bush administration's hard line in the buildup to the Iraq war.

:slapface:

From Reuters...

Norwegian Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg referred to Obama's work for peace and disarmament, saying: "This is a surprising, an exciting prize. It remains to be seen if he will succeed with reconciliation, peace and nuclear disarmament."

HO.LY.SHIT.

So now the Nobel Peace prize is given BEFORE anything is accomplished, on the basis of potential, or promise, instead of results and accomplishments.

It's like receiving the award on credit - "OK, remember, you now owe us some results."

I'm sure it will have no effect whatsoever on his decisions in Afghanistan, and on Iran.

Anyone want to guess why he received this award?

I say, it's because he's NOT George Bush. Which, IMHO, is exactly why he was elected as President.

Hey, I wonder if he'll also be Playmate of the Year? ahaa.

It's always been the way. I mean Kissinger and Le Duc Tho were awarded the prize when both their hands were still deep into the Vietnam War. At least Le Duc Tho refused it

True.

I guess I was thinking more of people like MLK, Jr., who truly accomplished things and made a measurable difference in the world.

As most people know I am an ardent Obama supporter but even I don't think he deserved this. He'd only been President what, 2 weeks or something? It's an honor he was even nominated, but I think he should decline to accept it.

However, that doesn't mean I can't smile in glee at all the necons getting their panties twisted over this. :) Why, I can almost hear Glenn Beck's frothing-at-the-mouth reply to this now......

:blahblah::blahblah::blahblah:

You guys should just make a permanent "Let's bash the President thread."

:peace:

:baby:

:blahblah: yourself! :angry: Just because people criticize the prez doesn't mean they're bashing him! Criticizing means negatively commenting on his actions and decisions; bashing is saying awful, hateful things about him, something I don't think most fair-minded folks will take part in, who I believe make up the majority on this forum.

:peace:,

Jo

bashing is saying awful, hateful things about him, something I don't think most fair-minded folks will take part in, who I believe make up the majority on this forum.

No offense intended, but you're wrong on this part. Unfortunately I don't have a spreadsheet in front of me, but you must not read a lot of threads about Obama very carefully if you believe that. Are there non-Democrats who can disagree with the President and be respectful? Yes. Are they the majority here? I don't think so.

No offense intended, but you're wrong on this part. Unfortunately I don't have a spreadsheet in front of me, but you must not read a lot of threads about Obama very carefully if you believe that. Are there non-Democrats who can disagree with the President and be respectful? Yes. Are they the majority here? I don't think so.

Oh. Stupid me. :slapface::wall:

Jo

:blahblah: yourself! :angry: Just because people criticize the prez doesn't mean they're bashing him! Criticizing means negatively commenting on his actions and decisions; bashing is saying awful, hateful things about him, something I don't think most fair-minded folks will take part in, who I believe make up the majority on this forum.

Jo

Oh, thank you lil one for your "explanation" :wacko:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Many here say awful, hateful things about him.

And some are clearly racist.

I'm sick of it.

I had to speak MY mind. Got a problem with that?

HP

Oh, thank you lil one for your "explanation" :wacko:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Many here say awful, hateful things about him.

And some are clearly racist.

I'm sick of it.

I had to speak MY mind. Got a problem with that?

HP

No, I'm cool with you speaking your mind. Don't scold me for speaking mine. I apologize for overreacting. It's been a hard day so far for me, okay? :'(

Mike Huckabee's reaction:

October 09, 2009 - 10:00 AM

President Obama's Nobel Peace Prize

by Mike Huckabee

There will be an outcry from those on the right who will say that Obama's nomination, made two weeks into his Presidency, is impossible to justify but I think such an outcry will sound like right-wing whining. The better response is simply to allow those on the left to explain what he did in his first two weeks as President that merited such recognition.

Basically what I did. And I'm sorry. -_-

Jo

Yahoo! News

By NANCY GIBBS 55 mins ago

The last thing Barack Obama needed at this moment in his presidency and our politics is a prize for a promise.

But how different is that from Kissinger? The Paris Peace Accord that Kissinger won his for wasn't worth the paper it was written on.

It's just the same old story. Is's a honourable gong best given to charities.

Obama should've refused it though. But he's a crowd pleaser and he's not good at saying no to people

I wholly agree with you. Declining to accept the award would demonstrate principled leadership and offset the growing perception he is comfortable with having amounted to little more than a media darling.

How's it going "SteveAJones?" Now I've seen everything! Maybe the late Bozo The Clown and the late Lassie will be nominated next year. ROCK ON FOREVER my friend.

I'm personally sick of all the Obama bashing. It's annoying and for the most part unfounded. But your entitled to your opinions, and I'm not here to try to change them.

Anyway, I say congratulations to the President. I see why some of you are concerned that he won it, but I'm sure the people who gave it to him have their reasons for choosing him.

Cheers. :hippy:

Anyway, I say congratulations to the President. I see why some of you are concerned that he won it, but I'm sure the people who gave it to him have their reasons for choosing him.

Cheers. :hippy:

Yes, it's because he got us out of Iraq!

Uh, no. Not yet.

He won the war in Afghanistan!

Nope.

He closed Guantanamo Bay!

Not yet.

I know, I know...

The Beer Summit!

Yes, Congrats Obama!!

Archived