Led Zeppelin Photo Mysteries

SteveAJones

Hey, I was thieving in the Planty thread and found this scan. The pic in question is cut off on the bottom -- and there's a caption! :)

2n9jew5.jpg

"...drummer John Bonham poses with a chair in the back garden of his Midlands home."

Caption also says it was taken by Zacron.

There's different ones at this Zacron linky: http://www.zacron.co...=1042&new=false.

It's well and truly solved now! Many thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

c4plant, that pic is hilarious! :o And saved on my hard drive now. I wish I knew more about it. If I come across any clues, I'll post here directly.

In the meantime, I have an easy question -- sorta.

34q236b.jpg

1973. BUT it's alternately listed as being at the Hyatt in Los Angeles and also somewhere in New York City around the time of their Madison Square Garden performance at the end of the tour. Conflicting captions!

I wanna put my money on California... Is that right?

c4plant, that pic is hilarious! :o And saved on my hard drive now. I wish I knew more about it. If I come across any clues, I'll post here directly.

In the meantime, I have an easy question -- sorta.

34q236b.jpg

1973. BUT it's alternately listed as being at the Hyatt in Los Angeles and also somewhere in New York City around the time of their Madison Square Garden performance at the end of the tour. Conflicting captions!

I wanna put my money on California... Is that right?

It is indeed at the Continental Hyatt House from May 31, 1973. I don't know the specific event, whether it's a end of the leg party, after show party or a Gold Record Award event. Perhaps someone else can shed some light.

It is indeed at the Continental Hyatt House from May 31, 1973. I don't know the specific event, whether it's a end of the leg party, after show party or a Gold Record Award event. Perhaps someone else can shed some light.

That Gold record belongs to one of the Lebanese brothers who owns the poster shop directly across the street from where I used to work on Spring Garden Rd. in the Park Lane Mall. Really nice guys. We shook hands. The record is in a frame with a bunch of photos that were taken that day and is signed by all four of the boys. There's more to the story but I probably shouldn't talk about it yet, but I should go visit them soon. It's been a while.

Edited by grasphinx

If that date is correct then according to Richard Cole there was an after-show party in Laurel Canyon to celebrate John Bonham's 25th Birthday...George Harrison hit Bonham with his own birthday cake...many people were thrown into pool. I've heard the residence was owned by a "radio station owner" but have yet to confirm that or the address. It was also reported this occured at the hotel. Whatever the truth, given they've got their feet up on the furniture I agree it was taken at the hotel - pre or post show - as opposed to the private residence.

Edited by SteveAJones

While always in search of "new" old photos, it is actually rare that I come across one i have not seen ......

For me this is one of those rare gems...anyone have info on this laugh.gif one?

149733_121780151215406_100001502652667_140266_3968078_n.jpg

Churchill is a village in the Wyre Forest District of Worcestershire. Heavy Plant Crossing is a standard UK construction safety roadsign.

Perhaps we can pinpoint the location...it seems to be an intersection...and the identity of the gentlemen in the suit. Further research in progress.

If that date is correct then according to Richard Cole there was an after-show party in Laurel Canyon to celebrate John Bonham's 25th Birthday...George Harrison hit Bonham with his own birthday cake...many people were thrown into pool. I've heard the residence was owned by a "radio station owner" but have yet to confirm that or the address. It was also reported this occured at the hotel. Whatever the truth, given they've got their feet up on the furniture I agree it was taken at the hotel - pre or post show - as opposed to the private residence.

We sent our posts in at the exact same time so you didn't get the chance to see mine first. Whether the date or events are correct, there is indeed a Gold album with photos from that room and their signatures on it. I've seen it and we've had quite a few conversations surrounding it.

We sent our posts in at the exact same time so you didn't get the chance to see mine first. Whether the date or events are correct, there is indeed a Gold album with photos from that room and their signatures on it. I've seen it and we've had quite a few conversations surrounding it.

It is possible they were presented gold album awards during their stay in Los Angeles. I'll look into it further.

It is possible they were presented gold album awards during their stay in Los Angeles. I'll look into it further.

lz19730531_02.jpg

lz19730531_03.jpg

lz19730531_04.jpg

lz19730531_05.jpg

I originally dated that photo as such because I knew the party was definitely in LA and that the band flew up to SF for Kezar on June 2. Photographer James Fortune took the photos of the band on the sofa.

I think that the party had been misdated in the past because JPJ is wearing that western shirt that is seen in TSRTS movie.

Edited by dazedjeffy

lz19730531_03.jpg

I originally dated that photo as such because I knew the party was definitely in LA and that the band flew up to SF for Kezar on June 2. Photographer James Fortune took the photos of the band on the sofa.

I think that the party had been misdated in the past because JPJ is wearing that western shirt that is seen in TSRTS movie.

That's the main photo in the frame surrounded by smaller photos with the Gold recond on top and the whole thing is matted. It's done really nicely. I have to go downtown this week, so I'll probably go see them. I have a few questions I need to ask them anyhow, and I like going in just to say hi when I'm in the area. The first time I met them, I was looking for a print of my favorite painting which they actually had mounted. I was kind of freaked out that they had it at all because it's kind of a rare print, and I ended up getting a bunch of John Waterhouse prints the same night. I'll show you a picture of my favorite print. I've got it hanging over my piano.

149535_467363712680_577387680_5825024_6143708_n.jpg

Edited by grasphinx

lz19730531_03.jpg

You know.... it will be interesting when you guys get these dates sorted out. If it were May 31, that would be so trippy for so many reasons. Also John is wearing all blue and I bought all the John Waterhouse prints the same time. The pool story would add an element of funny and full circle is that I went to the Legion Somme branch 31 on John's birthday a couple of years ago and I didn't know what branch number it was until we got there.

Edited by grasphinx

Not to be confused with this party 4 days later

lz19730603_06.jpg

I first saw this photo when I was doing some research on stolen art. There is a huge cache of looted art somewhere. I am not sure where yet, but I've got the key. I need to take Glider out for a spin. Actually I have a pretty good idea where it is. Make that an excellent idea. Oh shit..... I'm seriously pissed off. So much for sleeping. Back to facebook to assault some politicians. (just kidding about assaulting the politicians, of course). B)

Edited by grasphinx

http://www.gettyimag...s-Entertainment

Take a look at this photo of Jimmy from the Classic Rock event on November 10. It is easier to see close up what I am referring to if you click on the above link and then click on the 'download preview' link. You will notice that on the third finger of his left hand, he has started wearing rings again. Can anyone figure out how many rings he is wearing on that one finger, and does this mean he is involved with someone again? In any event, it would be damn difficult to play a guitar with that amount of jewellery on the ring finger:D

post-14347-046977000 1289828679_thumb.jp

Edited by kenog

Take a look at this photo of Jimmy from the Classic Rock event on November 10. It is easier to see close up what I am referring to if you click on the above link and then click on the 'download preview' link. You will notice that on the third finger of his left hand, he has started wearing rings again. Can anyone figure out how many rings he is wearing on that one finger, and does this mean he is involved with someone again? In any event, it would be damn difficult to play a guitar with that amount of jewellery on the ring finger:D

HA HA !!!!!!, no kidding. That's one double dose of a contraption.

Edited by grasphinx

If he is indeed involved with someone wouldn't that be his business and not ours?

That's definitely the CHH. That photo, along with several others, was taken at the HH by James Fortune. There was a press conference held in one of their suites at the hotel. I always thought it was taken before one of their '73 LA shows but I don't know the exact date - whether it was on the 31st or on another day. In one of the photos you can see the wrapped poster they gave to Peter Grant and in a second photo he is holding up the unwrapped poster reading the little photos and captions of different things the band did/broke during that tour.

Edited to add: Steve, that party to which you're referring was definitely held at a private home (I can try to find out the name/title of the person for you) and the guests were VIPs and celebs. I know there are people who insist it was held at the hotel but I think they're referring to another party that was held there.

Edited by MadScreamingGallery

Edited to add: Steve, that party to which you're referring was definitely held at a private home (I can try to find out the name/title of the person for you) and the guests were VIPs and celebs. I know there are people who insist it was held at the hotel but I think they're referring to another party that was held there.

Thanks, MSG! As you know they were in town for a few days during this period and contrary to at least one press report the swimming pool incident involving George Harrison and others almost certainly happened in Laurel Canyon as opposed to the hotel. I'm aware JJ Jackson resided in Laurel Canyon but I don't know if he did back then and besides according to Cole

it was the home of a "radio station owner".

It seems to be one large ring and perhaps being worn as an accessory (it matches his attire).

Thanks SAJ, I couldn't see whether it was one, or three. You certainly couldn't play guitar with that without causing serious scratching to the guitar neck. It would certainly not allow for any slide guitar playing (not that JP has ever done much slide work).

(I'll be in touch with the info promised. The work I'm doing is taking longer than expected:D ).

If he is indeed involved with someone wouldn't that be his business and not ours?

I also made reference in my post to the fact that the jewellery would make it difficult to play a guitar.

People in the public eye like Jimmy know that the general public and fans are interested in their personal lives, irrespective of whether it is our business or not. Some of the members of this site are interested in the band's personal lives; some make it clear that they are not.

I