The Lord of the Rings

lzzoso

I realize that this topic could (and should) be posted in the "Ramble On" section but I decided to post it here in the Master Forum.

How many of You Led Zeppelin fans out there have actually read J.R.R. Tolkein's Trilogy, "The Lord of the Rings"? I ask this because I have just finished watching all three of these movies on Dvd. All 9+ hours of them. I consider them to be some of the Best movies ever Produced. I consider myself an avid and voracious reader of all things Led Zeppelin or Related or just anything that strikes my interest. However, I have yet to read these Books that J.R.R. Tolkein created. Now that I have seen these Great and Masterful movies, my next "Quest" is to actually read these books.

Regardless of Positive or Negative feedback (if there is any), I plan to buy these books real soon and hopefully enjoy reading them for the first time.

If anyone has any responses, comments, criticisms, etc.. I would really like to read them.

I read it in Russian after watching the movie, which I fell in love with. And to say "it's a good book"-say nothing. The way J.R.R. Tolkien succeed to depict all the characters, all places, battles, creatures- this whole world- is beyond my imagination. He even wrote the history of the Middle Earth with all dates. This book is a masterpiece.

Of course there are lots of moments that weren't shown in the movie and this is one more reason to read it. May be the only negative fact is that J.R.R. Tolkien goes deep into the long descriptions when you are anticipating for the action :D

Btw, thank you, lzzoso, for this topic. It gave me a hint to listen to BBC interpretation of this book.

I read it in Russian after watching the movie, which I fell in love with. And to say "it's a good book"-say nothing. The way J.R.R. Tolkien succeed to depict all the characters, all places, battles, creatures- this whole world- is beyond my imagination. He even wrote the history of the Middle Earth with all dates. This book is a masterpiece.

Of course there are lots of moments that weren't shown in the movie and this is one more reason to read it. May be the only negative fact is that J.R.R. Tolkien goes deep into the long descriptions when you are anticipating for the action :D

Btw, thank you, lzzoso, for this topic. It gave me a hint to listen to BBC interpretation of this book.

Actually, I would like to "Thank You" for your Positive feedback on this (my) topic. Just by seeing all three of these Great "Lord of the Rings" movies, I can only just imagine what a thrill I will have when I finally read the whole series that these books and movies came from.

From just these movies alone, I can't wait to read the whole imagination and wonderment that J.R.R. Tolkien created when he put his Pen to Paper.

I first read the books over 30 years ago and while the movies are great there were so many good things left out.

The obvious being Tom Bombadil.

Tolkien was a great story teller and yes, he did go into deep detail to the the point where he would branch off on different tangents.

He invented the Elvish language as part of Middle Earth's history (Tolkien was a language Professor).

To some readers this is distracting, however, for me it was all part of the journey.

There wasn't the internet back then, TV was shit and with the odd good movie released, music and reading was the only thing to do and you could do them together.

Ralph Bakshi made an animated LOTR film in the '70's but it really only covered the first two books.

Start reading the LOTR with this soundtrack in the background.

Black Mountainside, Ramble On, Immigrant Song, Friends, The Battle of Evermore, Misty Mountain Hop, The Rain Song, Over the Hills and Far Away, No Quarter, The Rover, Bron-Y-aur, Achilles Last Stand, In The Evening and Poor Tom.

Use your imagination there are many other songs from other bands you could add.

Oh yeah, I loved the books along with The Hobbit another good read.

Maybe I'll start reading them again it's been a while.

If you really want a challenge read The Silmarillion by JRR Tolkien.

Actually, I would like to "Thank You" for your Positive feedback on this (my) topic. Just by seeing all three of these Great "Lord of the Rings" movies, I can only just imagine what a thrill I will have when I finally read the whole series that these books and movies came from.

From just these movies alone, I can't wait to read the whole imagination and wonderment that J.R.R. Tolkien created when he put his Pen to Paper.

I've forgotten to mention that Tolkien even constructed the language of elves. And it's even a map of the Middle Earth. :) I'm not an expert in all this, but it's very impressive. All these details make you think this world exists somewhere :D

read everything tolkien has.......ummmmmm.........dare i say

a long long time ago

you have to start with "the Hobbit"...........and then read lord of the rings

the hobbit is the first book really

really the books should be read before the movie........cuz the movie ruins it.............the books are in great detail, and not an easy read.............this isn't harry potter (which is kinda geared towards 5th graders)

don't bother with the "silmarrilion" less you are a diehard fan, and judging by todays youth.........you probably don't have the attention span

the hobbit is a great story

Good advise, start with The Hobbit, easy to read and fast-paced. Almost like a children`s book. Pick up a paperback and give it a whirl. Its the prequel to LOTR. I believe the Hobbit will be released soon as a movie as well.

As for LOTR, the first half of The Fellowship of the Ring is a bit hard to get through, just don`t bog down here.

The Two Towers is tiresome to dull but shorter than the other two.

The Return Of The King, by far the best, just as it is in the films.

A great trilogy that I read many years ago and own in hard back.

I`m no critic and don`t usually read much fiction but this series is OK by me. Just be prepared to invest the time to wade through it.

My only complaint is there are to many characters whose names are just one letter apart and often rhyme.

The films are good, but you should read the books and let your own imagination paint the pictures for you.Nothing can compare to your own imagination when Tolkien paints a scene for you.Not an easy read but well worth it.

Nice to read this topic, I absolutely love both, the book and the films (The extended editions are immense).

The films actually influenced me to give my child a name in Elven-language, and I collected a huge amount of movie based swords and stuff over the years.

Jackson indeed left out some things, some for good (Bombadil) some for not so good (Saruman going to the Shire was a better ending than the movie has).

th_61933151_5_W7Nz.jpg

Taken at the LOTR prop exhibit in Germany.

th_Aragorn1.jpg

Some LOTR stuff.

th_1287559817_l.jpg

The white tree of Gondor and some weaponry, including the LOTR swords.

Hi all,

'The Hobbit' was first published as a childrens book in 1937,...

I have read the trilogy every year since 1973.

KB

Hi All, Kev,

I do the same with the movies, every summer me and the boys watch all three editors cuts in a day or two, without the Misses being there. ;)

The Hobbit need a film too, i think its in production soon, may be as we even speak, i didn't get a call from Peter Jackson to be an extra this time, i wanted to be an Ent but my foliage wasn't up to much this year. :lol:

Although Jackson's film's were great, i think he left too much out, changed too much in way of how characters interacted with each other (in the book Gandalf is way ahead of Theodon, but in the film Theodon makes Gandalf out to be the fool, not good for a Wizard) but for the most part it was very good, although the purists and Tolkien would disagree. I would have loved Jackson to do have made it in too six films, just like the book was in six parts, now that would have made my life complete. :D

Kind Regards, Danny

Hi Dan,all,

Hi All, Kev,

I do the same with the movies, every summer me and the boys watch all three editors cuts in a day or two, without the Misses being there. ;)

Good lad! No need of the chirping! :D

[The Hobbit need a film too, i think its in production soon, may be as we even speak, i didn't get a call from Peter Jackson to be an extra this time, i wanted to be an Ent but my foliage wasn't up to much this year. :lol:

In pre-production in OZ.

Got a feeling your not a drawf! ;)

Although Jackson's film's were great, i think he left too much out, changed too much in way of how characters interacted with each other (in the book Gandalf is way ahead of Theodon, but in the film Theodon makes Gandalf out to be the fool, not good for a Wizard) but for the most part it was very good, although the purists and Tolkien would disagree. I would have loved Jackson to do have made it in too six films, just like the book was in six parts, now that would have made my life complete. :D

Even the extended versions,9+hours long,have to leave much out.J.J.R. T. even said it was not a book(not 3) to be filmed.

However,Peter,his wife and Phillip did put too much of of their own -junk- in.Ho-hum that is Follywood.

Théoden was under the spell of Saruman.Until, Gandalf saved the day(again) it would have been the ruin of Rohan.

KB(WTF do I know?) :)

They (all three) are the type of movie that will keep you glued to your seat! But after the first time you watch them, you don't really have as much interest in them.

"Star Wars" was better IMHO, as it didn't move around as much as "The Lord of the Ring's" movies did, think that's why I can still sit all the way through any of the "Star Wars" movies but not "The Lord of the Ring's" movies.

Hi Dan,all,

Good lad! No need of the chirping! :D

In pre-production in OZ.

Got a feeling your not a drawf! ;)

Even the extended versions,9+hours long,have to leave much out.J.J.R. T. even said it was not a book(not 3) to be filmed.

However,Peter,his wife and Phillip did put too much of of their own -junk- in.Ho-hum that is Follywood.

Théoden was under the spell of Saruman.Until, Gandalf saved the day(again) it would have been the ruin of Rohan.

KB(WTF do I know?) :)

Hi Kev,

"WTF do i know?" much more than i could say mate. :beer:

I'm defo not a Dwarf, much more like an Ent than I'd like to admit though, but in my heart I'm a Rider of Rohan, i always used to fantasise when out on my bike, leading a thousand Warriors of Rohan down the Kings Rd to ambush the Orcs at the Fords, :lol: and why did Peter portray those Orcs as Black Skinned-Cockney Speaking-Nasty Bastards? when everybody knows that Cockneys are White Skinned. :o:lol:

Very Kind Regards, Danny

Hi Danny,all,

You all know that are at least two Elvish languages?And an ancient or archaic that was written on the One Ring? :)

An Ent,oldest of all the creatures of Middle-Earth! ;)

(off-topic) what 'bike' lad,a Norton?Triumph?

Back to Percy,I remember a quote that he wanted to live in country after reading LOTR(?)His obvious references in LZ is that he was big fan of the book.

KB (yes one)

"So do all who live to such times but that is not for us to decide.All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." ~Gandalf

Hi Kev,

"WTF do i know?" much more than i could say mate. :beer:

I'm defo not a Dwarf, much more like an Ent than I'd like to admit though, but in my heart I'm a Rider of Rohan, i always used to fantasise when out on my bike, leading a thousand Warriors of Rohan down the Kings Rd to ambush the Orcs at the Fords, :lol: and why did Peter portray those Orcs as Black Skinned-Cockney Speaking-Nasty Bastards? when everybody knows that Cockneys are White Skinned. :o:lol:

Very Kind Regards, Danny

Love, Love, Love these books. I read all four back to back to back one summer right after my youngest was born and I had a lot forced rest, sitting feeding the hungry little brute!

I read The Hobbit first (had started it in my teens and didn't get into it) and would agree with the other posters that The Hobbit is the place to start - it gives you the background info that makes reading the trilogy easier and more enjoyable. It's a hell-of-a-good story! Fun, exciting and fast paced! There are dragons and elves and fights and all that good stuff!

I will agree that it is not the easiest read, and that because I watched the movies (all three) before I read the books I was sometimes disapointed in Jackson's version, even if it was tidier. I'm all for the details, but the books did drag from time to time, but push on, there is a good part a page or so down the way.

I'm not sure that a movie could really do this grand piece of work true justice, but, Jackson did give it a good go. I enjoyed putting the movie characters in to my mind's eye while reading. But that might not work for everyone. I also like the Tolkien imagery in Led Zeppelin's music.

So my vote, read the books, all four of them, & enjoy!! I enjoyed the books so much, that I have read a few other of Tolkien's works and have enjoyed them immensly!

I think that everybody here will hate me because i have to say....i think that the movies don't honor the books. I liked them and i know that Peter Jackson did a good job trying to bring to life the places, characters, etc but the books are beyond that...they are beatiful masterpieces. And Tolkien has other books like The Shaping of Middle Earth, The Book of Lost Tales and so on....i would start reading the Silmarillion, then The Hobbit, then the trilogy and then the complementary books.....

There's a nice website that you can check to have an idea and there you can find links to other websites, the adress is thereandbackagain.net

Hi aeonblue,all,

I think that everybody here will hate me because i have to say....i think that the movies don't honor the books. I liked them and i know that Peter Jackson did a good job trying to bring to life the places, characters, etc but the books are beyond that...they are beatiful masterpieces. And Tolkien has other books like The Shaping of Middle Earth, The Book of Lost Tales and so on....i would start reading the Silmarillion, then The Hobbit, then the trilogy and then the complementary books.....

There's a nice website that you can check to have an idea and there you can find links to other websites, the adress is thereandbackagain.net

Even Tolkien said the book was un-film-able.

I am also a member of thereandbackagain.net.

KB

Couldn't agree more about the movies ! I could have settled for them being incomplete but the actors who played Frodo, Sam and Pippen in my mind at least, didn't do the characters justice. To me the movies just weren't dark enough

Hi Bro,all,

Couldn't agree more about the movies ! I could have settled for them being incomplete but the actors who played Frodo, Sam and Pippen in my mind at least, didn't do the characters justice. To me the movies just weren't dark enough

Mostly a fault of the screen writers,...

One has to remember the New Line,which put up the $$$ and also said 'yes' for it being three films,in the contract with WingNut (PJ's production company) insisted that the films be PG-13,which did make them less dark.

Back to the book and trivia! :P

Who know why the book came out in three volumes?

KB (Sharkey)

Archived