Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Experience (Tour)

SteveAJones

"It's not as simple as 'Robert didn't want to do it,' " he said.

I found this quote really intriguing. Page, Jones, and Jason wanted to proceed. Surely Robert is the party who did not want to proceed. But if it's not as simple as "Robert didn't want to do it," then what really happened? Business reasons? Something else? Curious...

They definitely need to make a DVD of this tour (including all of the press conference info video, backstage footage, interviews with each band member and all of the songs performed in various cities). :)

Can't wait until Jacksonville (2 weeks and 3 days). :D

R B)

• Administrators

A few pics from last night in Hamilton:

post-5-022595700 1288270147_thumb.jpg post-5-086519300 1288270148_thumb.jpg post-5-065610100 1288270150_thumb.jpg post-5-017415600 1288270152_thumb.jpg

post-5-017856200 1288270154_thumb.jpg post-5-071710900 1288270155_thumb.jpg post-5-058469300 1288270157_thumb.jpg post-5-053747900 1288270159_thumb.jpg

They definitely need to make a DVD of this tour (including all of the press conference info video, backstage footage, interviews with each band member and all of the songs performed in various cities). :):D R

Will try to do some behind-the-scenes video etc.

It is the morning after for my wife and I , hearing has finally returned ........we had front row center seats for Jason's Led Zeppelin Experience Show last night in Hamilton Ontario. I have to say people , having never actually seen Led Zeppelin live ( had tix to the Rochester NY show that was cancelled ) this show was as close as one could get to the real deal. Loud , tight , note for note and very emotional are a few words to describe what we witnessed last night. This assembly of musicians Jason put together were spot on and playing with heart and soul. The entire audience was blown away by the accuracy of the songs played. We were also treated to several home videos that Jason's mother provided when he was young and hamming it up for mom & dad, very , very cool !

If any of you get the opportunity to see the show , do so , trust me. The lead guitarist Tony was so good it was eerie , he played " since I've been loving you " flawlessly ! Before the show , I told my wife they most likely wouldn't perform that song due to it's intricacy. Then we were blown away by a suprising performance of " The Rover " a song I have never seen ( on video ) Led Zeppelin play live.

I will add more info later as I am off to work , my entire being is still vibrating from last nights show !

To the mods , if this is the wrong thread for this topic , my apologies , please locate it as you will.....

Long Live Led Zeppelin !!!!!

cheers

alfred

Edited by Alfred

It is the morning after for my wife and I , hearing has finally returned ........we had front row center seats for Jason's Led Zeppelin Experience Show last night in Hamilton Ontario. I have to say people , having never actually seen Led Zeppelin live ( had tix to the Rochester NY show that was cancelled ) this show was as close as one could get to the real deal. Loud , tight , note for note and very emotional are a few words to describe what we witnessed last night. This assembly of musicians Jason put together were spot on and playing with heart and soul. The entire audience was blown away by the accuracy of the songs played. We were also treated to several home videos that Jason's mother provided when he was young and hamming it up for mom & dad, very , very cool !

If any of you get the opportunity to see the show , do so , trust me. The lead guitarist Tony was so good it was eerie , he played " since I've been loving you " flawlessly ! Before the show , I told my wife they most likely wouldn't perform that song due to it's intricacy. Then we were blown away by a suprising performance of " The Rover " a song I have never seen ( on video ) Led Zeppelin play live.

I will add more info later as I am off to work , my entire being is still vibrating from last nights show !

To the mods , if this is the wrong thread for this topic , my apologies , please locate it as you will.....

Long Live Led Zeppelin !!!!!

cheers

alfred

Very Cool, Alfred.

Glad you and your wife got to go.

I'm going with some friends in about 2 weeks (in Jacksonville).

R B)

Posted: Oct. 28, 2010

Five questions with: Rock drummer Jason Bonham

BY MARTIN BANDYKE

FREE PRESS SPECIAL WRITER

After the group's legendary drummer and founding member John Bonham died some 30 years ago, Led Zeppelin did not play another full-length concert until its triumphant reunion gig at London's O2 Arena in 2007. Featuring John Bonham's son Jason behind the drum kit, the performance inevitably sparked rumors that the quartet was planning a worldwide tour to play all the hits and rake in some major cash, but this never came to be. Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones and Jason Bonham were all into the idea, but vocalist Robert Plant remained intent on pursuing a solo career, killing the idea of a full-scale reunion.

The next best thing for now is Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Experience, which brings the son of Bonzo to Detroit's Fox Theatre on Saturday for a tribute to the music and memories of the quintessential hard rock band. He's joined by Tony Catania (guitars), James Dylan (vocals), Michael Devin (bass) and Stephen LeBlanc (keyboards, pedal steel). The 44-year-old Jason Bonham, who was only 14 when his dad passed away, spoke to the Free Press by phone recently while traveling to a gig in Indiana.

Question: Your concert is being described as a multimedia event. What will take place other than you and your new band playing Zeppelin songs?

Answer: One of the main reasons I agreed to this tour was so I could do it in a way that wasn't being done by anybody else. It was imperative that we would have it be my Led Zeppelin experience. I went searching through my archives and my mum's and family's archives and wanted to show people the other side of things; footage of Dad being a dad, of growing up as this young kid who was going to become Bonzo. We start up with a 3-minute film where I tell the story about where I grew up, and the pictures are interchanging and what you're seeing is John. You see him as he gets older, and when the audience recognizes him the place goes crazy. We set the mood there and we play, and then I come to the front of the stage and another set of films comes up and I talk about why I'm doing this and empty my heart to the people in the audience.

Q. What has the reaction been like so far?

A. When we did the first gig in Minneapolis the place cheered for 3 minutes and I broke into tears. It was beyond words; I've never had that reaction in my life. They see my love for him, and my pain (of losing him). It's as if I'm stripped bare-naked and say, "Here I am, this is what I know." I've enjoyed sharing my own private moments; sharing him with people means they get to know more about him. It makes me think about all the guys in the crowd with their kids, and I do say, "You kids, tell your dad every day you love him, stay friends, stay together, love the ones you're with." We're having a fantastic time and getting a great response.

Q. Which Led Zeppelin songs do you most enjoy playing live?

A. We pretty much know every album, and on certain nights we have fun changing around the set. I love playing "Since I've Been Loving You," it's got a great vibe and is one of my favorites. I love "Kashmir," "Over the Hills and Far Away" and "Good Times Bad Times."

Another one of my favorites we do is "Hots on for Nowhere." I started this tour with four (drum) kits, but the changeovers took so long it lost the flow of the show, so with the show in two halves I start with a green sparkle kit, just like the old days, then play a yellow Vistalite signature kit.

Q. What kind of music did your father like?

A. My dad was a big Motown fan and not so much a rock guy. He was more into early stuff. His favorite drummers were Elvin Jones, Gene Krupa and Buddy Rich, then later ones like Billy Cobham and James Brown's drummers. Musically his tastes ran from Smokey Robinson to Barry White. He used to say to me (paraphrasing James Brown), "Whatever it is, it's got to be funky."

Q. Is there any chance that a full Led Zeppelin reunion tour will ever happen?

A. I don't know; it's not up to me. I wouldn't imagine so, but if you said to me five years ago that the one reunion concert would happen I would have said you were crazy. I thought that the O2 show was so good. I had a blast working with Jimmy and John Paul and continued to work with them through '08, so I can't complain.

RELATED INFORMATION

Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Experience

8 p.m. Sat.

The Fox Theatre

2211 Woodward, Detroit

313-983-6611

$38-$68

http://www.freep.com...VEnMIW0UkQZs%3D

Edited by SteveAJones

Jason Bonham - I'm Gonna Crawl -Hamilton 10/27/2010

There are several more posted of this show on you tube:-)

Thanks Deb. Hearing this song live will definitely be one of the highlites for me !

Yes. Thanks, Deb. :)

I think they should tour between BCC's tours indefinitely.

Amazing stuff from Jason honoring his dad with the most excellent group of musicians around. :)

R B)

Edited by reids

'Through Dad's eyes, you know'

Bonham's son, Jason, was only 14 when he lost his father and his memories are more idyllic.

"I was trying to impress just the three guys on stage. I never looked past the edge of the stage," Bonham remembered during a telephone interview this week.

...it happened when Jones looked back at him to share a quick laugh over a small mistake. "I just said 'Oh, my God, it's that moment!' Through Dad's eyes, you know? I'm looking at this guy who, in the movie, was staring back at him."

"It's not as simple as 'Robert didn't want to do it,' " he said.

"Who knows? My dad didn't start playing until he was 15," Bonham said. "So I said to my son, 'You've got another year.' "

Great article!! Thanks for reposting! I have the utmost respect for Jason... When I read storys like that or watch videos like the Guitar Center Drum Off solo he does with his dad it brings a tear of joy to my eyes! I don't know which Bonham is the luckier between Jason and John... "Jason" for having been blessed with not only a father like John Bonham but to be as talented as he was also... Or "John" for having a son who shows him as much love and respect as Jason does!

'Through Dad's eyes, you know'

His son, he said, plays drums a little, but hasn't shown an intense desire to carry on the family tradition and get behind the kit.

"Who knows? My dad didn't start playing until he was 15," Bonham said. "So I said to my son, 'You've got another year.' "

Looks like it's been a REALLY FAST YEAR!! LOL :rolleyes:

2 days later.....

still amazed by the show on Wednesday night. Ticket prices were high but , with me being a Zep-Head and always looking for a band to play loud , accurate chest pounding Led Zeppelin , I would have paid twice the $400 I did pay. Jason & his mates came through with a 13 out of 10 on the scale for me.

I am one of those few people ( these days ) who can whistle with my fingers very , very loud! The people in and around me always look back and cover there ears ...lol.

At the end of each song I was rockin the whistle and getting looks from the band members as my wife & I were in the front row just to the right. After the last tune of the 2nd set , a mind blowing " Kashmir " , the boys took a bow and left the stage. The crowd began the encore noise accompanied by foot pounding , it was awesome ! Then there was a lull , as several minutes had passed and nobody appeared on stage , so I wet my whistle and let er rip , the crowd picked up on it and became even louder than before , and voila!... out came the band ! Jason says , thank you so much and we are going to finish with some love , a Whole Lotta Love ...to be excact !

The moment for me was after the song , they all came to the stage front , arms on each others shoulders and took a bow , as they stood up I let out my loudest whistle , Jason looked directly at me and did his fist to heart love gesture.

Life is good !

Remember people ....every day is celebration day !

regards

Alfred

2 days later.....

still amazed by the show on Wednesday night. Ticket prices were high but , with me being a Zep-Head and always looking for a band to play loud , accurate chest pounding Led Zeppelin , I would have paid twice the $400 I did pay. Jason & his mates came through with a 13 out of 10 on the scale for me.

I am one of those few people ( these days ) who can whistle with my fingers very , very loud! The people in and around me always look back and cover there ears ...lol.

At the end of each song I was rockin the whistle and getting looks from the band members as my wife & I were in the front row just to the right. After the last tune of the 2nd set , a mind blowing " Kashmir " , the boys took a bow and left the stage. The crowd began the encore noise accompanied by foot pounding , it was awesome ! Then there was a lull , as several minutes had passed and nobody appeared on stage , so I wet my whistle and let er rip , the crowd picked up on it and became even louder than before , and voila!... out came the band ! Jason says , thank you so much and we are going to finish with some love , a Whole Lotta Love ...to be excact !

The moment for me was after the song , they all came to the stage front , arms on each others shoulders and took a bow , as they stood up I let out my loudest whistle , Jason looked directly at me and did his fist to heart love gesture.

Life is good !

Remember people ....every day is celebration day !

regards

Alfred

Alfred that is too cool. It's awesome to be acknowledged by the band in any way, isn't it. I'm going to be front row in Englewood, NJ on 11/4. Can't wait.

I'll be screaming my loudest YEAH that night for sure. Probably won't have any voice left for Friday in Poughkeepsie, but that's OK. It's all good.

Great to hear it's such a killer show. I might even say wtf and do boston on 11/2. time will tell.