What show or live song are you listening to now?

Misfit

8 hours ago, NegativeCrepe said:

This remaster of mine combines both sources to make the most complete version of the concert presently possible

I'm listening to this show right now as well. I was wondering if @Strider can recall anything about "Over The Top" from this show since it's the only sizeable chunk missing from any of the six nights. Was it a marathon version like the previous night? They were certainly in a "long" mood this show, as it features the second-longest "Noise Solo," third-longest "No Quarter" and third-longest "Stairway To Heaven." The version I have clocks in at 3h 12m, so a decent-lengthen "Over The Top" would make this the second longest show of the week even though it has the shortest encore and is the only show of the six without a pre-encore extra, "That's Alright Mama" tease notwithstanding.

3 hours ago, Bonzo_fan said:

I'm listening to this show right now as well. I was wondering if @Strider can recall anything about "Over The Top" from this show since it's the only sizeable chunk missing from any of the six nights. Was it a marathon version like the previous night? They were certainly in a "long" mood this show, as it features the second-longest "Noise Solo," third-longest "No Quarter" and third-longest "Stairway To Heaven." The version I have clocks in at 3h 12m, so a decent-lengthen "Over The Top" would make this the second longest show of the week even though it has the shortest encore and is the only show of the six without a pre-encore extra, "That's Alright Mama" tease notwithstanding.

The only "Over the Top" solo I stayed and watched all the way through was the first night and the second night...June 21 and June 23. The other three nights we used that time to go to the bathroom and grab a coke and a snack and check out the action on the concourse and the merch table.

So I really couldn't tell you the details of those drum solos. It was all a hail of banging drums so loud it shook the Forum walls. Only that Keith Moon joined in the banging on June 23 and June 21 was short and sweet.

In fact, after the marathon 25 minute renditions of 1975, I was prepared for more of the same in 1977. Therefore, the conciseness of that first one on June 21 took me by surprise.

But the last three nights were considerably longer. It came down to whether Bonham felt like adding the section after the tympani or going straight to the end after the tympani.

3 hours ago, Strider said:

The only "Over the Top" solo I stayed and watched all the way through was the first night and the second night...June 21 and June 23. The other three nights we used that time to go to the bathroom and grab a coke and a snack and check out the action on the concourse and the merch table.

So I really couldn't tell you the details of those drum solos. It was all a hail of banging drums so loud it shook the Forum walls. Only that Keith Moon joined in the banging on June 23 and June 21 was short and sweet.

In fact, after the marathon 25 minute renditions of 1975, I was prepared for more of the same in 1977. Therefore, the conciseness of that first one on June 21 took me by surprise.

But the last three nights were considerably longer. It came down to whether Bonham felt like adding the section after the tympani or going straight to the end after the tympani.

Fair enough...I can only imagine what an endurance test attending those shows would have been -- on the bladder at the very least!

I'm always a bit surprised actually by how short the June 21 version is, considering it's one of Bonham's all-time best shows -- on previous tours, the nights when he was really feeling it usually got a long, epic "Moby Dick."

Isn't the June 27 one fairly short?  I seem to recall it being somewhere around 14 minutes, but an entertaining 14.  Funny you should mention that about the section after the tympani, because when I was listening to June 25 yesterday, I noticed that he jumps straight to the end after the tympani, despite it clocking in at just under 27 minutes!  I had it in my head that he did the section after because of the length like you say...

8 hours ago, Bonzo_fan said:

Fair enough...I can only imagine what an endurance test attending those shows would have been -- on the bladder at the very least!

I'm always a bit surprised actually by how short the June 21 version is, considering it's one of Bonham's all-time best shows -- on previous tours, the nights when he was really feeling it usually got a long, epic "Moby Dick."

Isn't the June 27 one fairly short?  I seem to recall it being somewhere around 14 minutes, but an entertaining 14.  Funny you should mention that about the section after the tympani, because when I was listening to June 25 yesterday, I noticed that he jumps straight to the end after the tympani, despite it clocking in at just under 27 minutes!  I had it in my head that he did the section after because of the length like you say...

By 1973 Bonham had set the template by which most people know "Moby Dick", courtesy of the movie and soundtrack to "The Song Remains the Same". 

1. Snare work

2. Hand drumming

3. Tympani 

4. Back to the kit for final crescendo

For 1977 though, he eliminated #4 for the most part...at least at the shows I saw. Except for June 23 when he did a brief section #4 after him and Keith Moon finished the tympani section and before his snare hits signalled the return of Jimmy and John Paul.

For 1977, it was usually 5-10 minutes on the snare, 2 minutes with the hands, and 5 minutes or so of tympani.

Frankly, I am glad Bonham mostly kept it short for the LA Forum shows. One reason I rarely bother listening to the 1977 Landover shows is because of the godawful boring 30-plus minute drum solos.

9 hours ago, Strider said:

By 1973 Bonham had set the template by which most people know "Moby Dick", courtesy of the movie and soundtrack to "The Song Remains the Same". 

1. Snare work

2. Hand drumming

3. Tympani 

4. Back to the kit for final crescendo

For 1977 though, he eliminated #4 for the most part...at least at the shows I saw. Except for June 23 when he did a brief section #4 after him and Keith Moon finished the tympani section and before his snare hits signalled the return of Jimmy and John Paul.

For 1977, it was usually 5-10 minutes on the snare, 2 minutes with the hands, and 5 minutes or so of tympani.

Frankly, I am glad Bonham mostly kept it short for the LA Forum shows. One reason I rarely bother listening to the 1977 Landover shows is because of the godawful boring 30-plus minute drum solos.

Right.  I hear ya...those middle two Landover ones are definitely a tough listen.  I like Seattle '73 for the 30+ minute versions.

5 hours ago, NegativeCrepe said:

My remaster of my favorite Led Zeppelin concert, 43 years gone

All-time favourite eh? I do have a soft spot for it, and like it better than most do I think. "No Quarter" is fantastic, as is the acoustic set.

10 hours ago, NegativeCrepe said:

My remaster of my favorite Led Zeppelin concert, 43 years gone

And off they rode into the night. Never to grace the Fabulous Forum stage again. My eardrums were busted for a week but the vibes were forever. How much we took for granted. Surely this would never end? How were we to know what was ahead on July 26, 1977 and September 25, 1980?

Edited by Strider