What show or live song are you listening to now?

Misfit

On 5/21/2020 at 4:57 PM, Strider said:

It is the 45th anniversary of Earls Court week. When it comes to EC, I prefer the May 17-18-23 ECs to the more known and bootlegged May 24-25 ECs.

20200521_130219.thumb.jpg.01119f5e6635a2a50eee664bb817f8bf.jpg

They are great shows, but seeing Zep performing the 24th and 25th shows is priceless, IMO. 

I do always look forward to Earl’s Court week, same as LA Forum week next month! 

:thumbsup: 

I'm doing a Zeppelin "ultrasound." Viewing/listening to all available Yardbirds material from June 66 to June 68. This is the final stage. The "ninth month." Fascinating trip! Highly recommended.

Edited by Zep Hed

Happy 45th anniversary to the 3rd night at Earls Court...May 23, 1975!

All aboard the Zeppelin Express!

I do have a question for anyone who attended any of the Earls Court concerts. Did the acoustic guitar get swallowed up by the Earls Court acoustics and make it difficult to hear?

Gawd help me, I'm going to try and give the Landover '77 shows a listen this week for the first time in years, probably😆 Played a bit of the May 25 soundboard this morning...even that performance seemed off, like the 26 and 28 are. What the hell happened in the three days between Fort Worth and Landover?

Incidentally, folks, at the moment I am trying to compile all the 1977 alternate source recordings for some sort of a project (not sure what yet...) I have most of the alternate sources, but not all...

2 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Those Landover shows are a rough listen.

That's why I haven't heard 'em in years. I just played the first disc of May 25 this morning, that was enough of that one...even the soundboard tapes don't sound all that hot.

7 hours ago, Nutrocker said:

That's why I haven't heard 'em in years. I just played the first disc of May 25 this morning, that was enough of that one...even the soundboard tapes don't sound all that hot.

I personally prefer the audience recordings for the 26th and the 28th. They're far from perfect, but they're very atmospheric and highly enjoyable. They give a much better feeling of what it was like to be in the crowd and mask a lot of the flaws. I'd maybe choose those over the flat and dry soundboards for those dates.

13 hours ago, Nutrocker said:

Gawd help me, I'm going to try and give the Landover '77 shows a listen this week for the first time in years, probably😆 Played a bit of the May 25 soundboard this morning...even that performance seemed off, like the 26 and 28 are. What the hell happened in the three days between Fort Worth and Landover?

Incidentally, folks, at the moment I am trying to compile all the 1977 alternate source recordings for some sort of a project (not sure what yet...) I have most of the alternate sources, but not all...

You're a brave soul! 😂 I've only ever cherry-picked the first three, and I think even that was just to listen to those marathon versions of "Over The Top" on the 26th and 28th for the historical significance.  I just take a '77 break between Ft. Worth and the last night in Landover 😆 It does make you wonder what happened during that three-day break, because they were smoking in Ft. Worth.

16 hours ago, Nutrocker said:

Now, that's dedication. I admire your tenacity and perseverance.

As for me, I have no need to ever listen to those Landover '77 soundboards again. Whatever pleasure and joy there is to be had from those tapes has been squeezed out over the past decade or so of listening. I would much prefer hearing the Landover audience tapes.

Which is why I am especially intrigued by your alternate source project. Too often, the bootleg companies and YouTubers concentrate on the new soundboards or the Millard tapes. I like hearing alternate perspectives. Gary Bauer's alternate June 21 '77 was a case in point.

I mean, there were hordes of different sources for September 4, 1970 at the Forum. Wouldn't the odds favour multiple tapers in the audience for succeeding  L.A. Forum concerts? I love Mike Millard and the effort he put in to record all those shows. But it would be nice to hear other people's tapes once in a while.

The same for the Madison Square Garden. Surely, there must be a way to listen to those New York shows without hearing those two guys audition for the Gong Show throughout the concert?

I can't wait to see the alternate sources you compile, Nutrocker.

12 hours ago, Strider said:

Now, that's dedication. I admire your tenacity and perseverance.

As for me, I have no need to ever listen to those Landover '77 soundboards again. Whatever pleasure and joy there is to be had from those tapes has been squeezed out over the past decade or so of listening. I would much prefer hearing the Landover audience tapes.

Which is why I am especially intrigued by your alternate source project. Too often, the bootleg companies and YouTubers concentrate on the new soundboards or the Millard tapes. I like hearing alternate perspectives. Gary Bauer's alternate June 21 '77 was a case in point.

I mean, there were hordes of different sources for September 4, 1970 at the Forum. Wouldn't the odds favour multiple tapers in the audience for succeeding  L.A. Forum concerts? I love Mike Millard and the effort he put in to record all those shows. But it would be nice to hear other people's tapes once in a while.

The same for the Madison Square Garden. Surely, there must be a way to listen to those New York shows without hearing those two guys audition for the Gong Show throughout the concert?

I can't wait to see the alternate sources you compile, Nutrocker.

I dig the alternate perspectives as well, which is why I've decided to undertake gathering up all the '77 alternate source recordings. Mind ya, a couple of 'em do sound like absolute shite- that "third source" for June 13, for example- practically unlistenable. A lot of them aren't complete, either. I've been going through my archives, sorting out what I have, what I don't have, what I thought I had but lost etc...and trying to gather up whatever I don't have. 

16 hours ago, Bonzo_fan said:

You're a brave soul! 😂 I've only ever cherry-picked the first three, and I think even that was just to listen to those marathon versions of "Over The Top" on the 26th and 28th for the historical significance.  I just take a '77 break between Ft. Worth and the last night in Landover 😆 It does make you wonder what happened during that three-day break, because they were smoking in Ft. Worth.

I actually played the May 26 audience tape this morning (master source transfer), actually ain't half bad sound quality, but the performance is still pretty iffy. And, yeah, the epic drum solos were my main reason for wanting to hear those shows, unfortunately they turned out to be the most boring, tedious drum solos I've ever heard John Bonham play. What a disappointment!

17 hours ago, ZepHead315 said:

I personally prefer the audience recordings for the 26th and the 28th. They're far from perfect, but they're very atmospheric and highly enjoyable. They give a much better feeling of what it was like to be in the crowd and mask a lot of the flaws. I'd maybe choose those over the flat and dry soundboards for those dates.

Like I say, the May 26 audience tape is actually decent- the May 25 audience tape is the one where you can hardly make out any of the Plantations, it's that distant sounding. I've got May 28th, the old TDOLZ boot, where half the marathon drum solo is cut out😅 The May 30 tape is good once they turned the recording levels down after "The Song Remains The Same"- the sound actually reminds me of the classic April 28 "Oh Fuck!" source recording. I'll stick with the audience tapes playing the 28th and 30th later in the week...

8 hours ago, Nutrocker said:

I dig the alternate perspectives as well, which is why I've decided to undertake gathering up all the '77 alternate source recordings. Mind ya, a couple of 'em do sound like absolute shite- that "third source" for June 13, for example- practically unlistenable. A lot of them aren't complete, either. I've been going through my archives, sorting out what I have, what I don't have, what I thought I had but lost etc...and trying to gather up whatever I don't have. 

I actually played the May 26 audience tape this morning (master source transfer), actually ain't half bad sound quality, but the performance is still pretty iffy. And, yeah, the epic drum solos were my main reason for wanting to hear those shows, unfortunately they turned out to be the most boring, tedious drum solos I've ever heard John Bonham play. What a disappointment!

Like I say, the May 26 audience tape is actually decent- the May 25 audience tape is the one where you can hardly make out any of the Plantations, it's that distant sounding. I've got May 28th, the old TDOLZ boot, where half the marathon drum solo is cut out😅 The May 30 tape is good once they turned the recording levels down after "The Song Remains The Same"- the sound actually reminds me of the classic April 28 "Oh Fuck!" source recording. I'll stick with the audience tapes playing the 28th and 30th later in the week...

What do you think of the May 30th show? I thought that one was pretty good.