Clapton is God: The Eric Clapton Thread

SteveAJones

Touring the world makes him relevant? No it means he likes to tour on his past success just as anyone his age is doing. Its very easy to make the money flow especially if your fans consider the artist above critisism. The rolling Stones are no different. They tour because they charge what they want where they want and they sell out everywhere by name only...not by being top musicians or touring acts. Paul McCartney tours the same set every night and no one complains...because its Paul Freaking McCartney. These guys can lay back watch the gravy train flow with no effort. Lazy shits that that charge an arm n a leg and do nothing to spark there shows. Roger waters the wall anyone. A set from 1980 that comes by at 200 a pop. I sure as hell didn't go when he made his round here. They play these songs exactly how they were recorded you might as well listen to the CD.

Anyone remember the Guitar World in 2000 with Jimmy and Jeff Beck on the cover? It included a joint interview, it was a great issue. Check out this story from Ross Halfin regarding Clapton and that issue:

Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck

London (2000)

I was asked by Guitar World Magazine to shoot a cover for their millennium issue. Originally it was supposed to be Beck, Page and Eric Clapton but the day before the shoot I got a fax from Clapton’s management stating that if he came to the shoot I had to guarantee the cover would feature Clapton and only Clapton. As you can see, I ended up shooting the cover with the other two instead.

Touring the world makes him relevant? No it means he likes to tour on his past success just as anyone his age is doing.

Touring the world every two to three years is VERY demanding for an artist yet reinforces they are relevant because the demand is still there. Eric always having a new album on sale to coincide with these tours dispels any notion he is merely resting on his laurels.

Anyone remember the Guitar World in 2000 with Jimmy and Jeff Beck on the cover? It included a joint interview, it was a great issue. Check out this story from Ross Halfin regarding Clapton and that issue:

Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck

London (2000)

I was asked by Guitar World Magazine to shoot a cover for their millennium issue. Originally it was supposed to be Beck, Page and Eric Clapton but the day before the shoot I got a fax from Clapton’s management stating that if he came to the shoot I had to guarantee the cover would feature Clapton and only Clapton. As you can see, I ended up shooting the cover with the other two instead.

Bear in mind the fax came from Eric's management, not Eric, and it's their function to manage his presence in the mainstream media. I happen to believe they do a very fine job of managing Eric's career. If asked Where's Eric?, they never respond with a Peter Mensch-esque "Fuck if we know". Eric's website is definitely squared away and his merchandising always first rate.

Clapton is God!

Edited by SteveAJones

Well, if the quantity of output makes one a legend, then the award should go to:

Lata Mangeshkar.

Mangeshkar was featured in the Guinness Book of World Records from 1974 to 1991 for having

made the most recordings in the world. The claim was that she had recorded approximately

25,000 solo, duet, and chorus-backed songs in 36 Indian languages between 1948 to 1974. The category was removed in 1991 and re-introduced in 2011.

She has recorded songs for over a thousand Hindi films.

Edited by reswati

• 4 weeks later...

Not to ruffle anyone's sensitive feathers on this topic, but if someone says that Eric Clapton is God, what does this say about the Greater and ALL - MIGHTY James Patrick Page? If Jimmy Page is better than God, who can be better than Mr. Page?

I will go on the Record and say that Mr. Page is much more better a guitar player than Mr. Clapton.

This is a "Classic" example to carry my Point:

Eric Clapton is an excellent guitar player but not even in the same district as Jimmy Page. (Obviously this is just MY Opinion).

Edited by kingzoso

Lets put it like this - Nowadays, Eric is just a really good generic blues player. Back in the 60's and 70's he was much better,

his playing and material that he was writting was fresh a thrilling. I still think he's one of the best, but I mean when you compare

Eric with Jimmy, just take a peak at the catalogue from each musician, you can't really say that Eric's Layla is better when you're

comparing it with Jimmy's Rain Song or Kashmir. Jimmy's just better, period.

I have talked to Eric several times in different places around the Atlanta area. I asked him about that one night at the Fox Theater in 1974, when he climbed onstage at a Grand Funk Railroad concert after Mark Farner told a disappointed audience, "If you can do better, you come up here and play this fu@king guitar!!!" Eric then torched the place with a 20 minute solo on "Crossroads". He later said, " I don't remember it, but I've HEARD about it...". He was on a four day drunk at the time.

--Terry Corcoran (Oct 2013)

EC has a formidable 50 year legacy of music; he continues releasing new albums & tours the world performing for standing room only audiences.

I didn't say he was bad, there's nothing wrong with generic blues players. Also, I think it's stupid the way he tries to growl like a black man after the things he said.

Edited by magerogue

The man is nearly 70 and yet he will perform what promises to be a standing room only Japanese tour in two months. I'd say that's impressive.

Yes it is.. Impressive and not at all surprising.. I don't think age has anything to do with it.

He is a major artist, and a great guitar soloist,, He plays from his guts and he also has a pleasant singing voice.

But (from all of the interviews I've seen and read) I find him to be very pretentious.

I also think many of his songs are plain and boring..

The solo with The Allmans you posted was excellent.

Just my honest opinion.. not stating it as an absolute ... as you tend to do..

I certainly think Eric has earned his place as an iconic figure in rock, and I cannot take that away from him, nor would I want to. Having said that though, he is definitely not my cup of tea, and his music does not inspire me, apart from what he did with The Yardbirds and Cream. I saw Eric in 1986, and the concert ranks near the bottom of the approximate 100 concerts I have been to in my lifetime. I don't intend to offend, but a topic must be able to endure honest feedback, and mine is honest, and offered from my perspective. He is an immense talent overall, but far from my favorite artist or guitarist.

Edited by The Dark Lord

Eric once said he wouldn't be able to retire due to the high expenses him and his family have (maybe he was joking)

He does enjoy a high quality of life, but he also contributes millions to non-profit organizations. What he has said recently is the possibility exists he will stop touring after 70. However, that doesn't necessarily mean he would stop performing altogether. He could still play selected dates or do a residency.

Thanks for this. I think they own a yacht, and that is an expensive upkeep, even by rockstar standards. A residency in other key locations, along the lines of the one he has performed at the Royal Albert Hall for years, would be a good compromise, both for him and fans.

He does enjoy a high quality of life, but he also contributes millions to non-profit organizations. What he has said recently is the possibility exists he will stop touring after 70. However, that doesn't necessarily mean he would stop performing altogether. He could still play selected dates or do a residency.

From what I have read on this topic, I think that the overall consensus is that Eric Clapton is not God (on the guitar) as some are so ardent to believe.

This moniker that was bestowed upon Eric in the mid to late 1960's is just that, a moniker. It was written on some wall in England at the height of Cream but before the advent of the "Mighty Led Zeppelin".

I believe that Jimmy Page and Robert Plant were the very first persons in the History of Rock and Roll to be called True "Rock Stars".

So, back to the topic at hand, Eric Clapton was never any God of anything. He just happened to be in a good group before the formation of Led Zeppelin (and LZ took over the burnt embers of the faded and jaded Cream) to become the Greatest Rock and Roll Band of All-Time.

There are many of Led Zeppelin's contemporaries who are still Jealous of this Very fact today:

Ginger Baker

Jack Bruce

Pete Townshend

Keith Richards

Jeff Beck (though not as vocal)

and of course "God" himself. Etc...

Am I Wrong...?

Edited by kingzoso

From what I have read on this topic, I think that the overall consensus is that Eric Clapton is not God (on the guitar) as some are so ardent to believe.

This moniker that was bestowed upon Eric in the mid to late 1960's is just that, a moniker. It was written on some wall in England at the height of Cream but before the advent of the "Mighty Led Zeppelin".

I believe that Jimmy Page and Robert Plant were the very first persons in the History of Rock and Roll to be called True "Rock Stars".

So, back to the topic at hand, Eric Clapton was never any God of anything. He just happened to be in a good group before the formation of Led Zeppelin (and LZ took over the burnt embers of the faded and jaded Cream) to become the Greatest Rock and Roll Band of All-Time.

There are many of Led Zeppelin's contemporaries who are still Jealous of this Very fact today:

Ginger Baker

Jack Bruce

Pete Townshend

Keith Richards

Jeff Beck (though not as vocal)

and of course "God" himself. Etc...

Am I Wrong...?

You earn one point for grasping that "God" with regard to EC is merely a moniker, but you lose one point (or more) for then perpetuating the myth that Led Zeppelin are the end all and be all of contemporary rock music. If you want to believe Jimmy Page and Robert Plant were the very first persons in the history of rock music to be called "rock stars" more power to you, but personally I find that to be stunningly myopic and historically accurate.

Let's try to get one thing straight: so far as I know Eric's never been jealous of Jimmy's success. Eric's done quite well for himself thru the years.