Japan hit by 8.9 earthquake

Rock N' Rollin' Man

Just saw that now. There is a tsunami warning for Australia, Central America, Hawaii, Mexico, New Zealand, the Pacific Ocean, South America. The Tsunami Warning Center says the warning is in effect for California, Oregon, southern Alaska and Washington. The Philippines have an evacuation order for coastal areas on the eastern seaboard. Southern Russia near Japan also has a tsunami warning. Chile, Guam, the Mariana Islands and Taiwan have a tsunami warning.

msnbc.msn.com/id/42023385/ns/world_news-asiapacific/?GT1=43001

skynews.com.au/topstories/article.aspx?id=587889&

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVlibArzx24

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcqA7_tjc7Y

Horrible!!! I hope there won't be too many casulties!

I'm glad Jimmy isn't there yet!! As son as I read about it, I remembered the topic on this forum, about how he is going to Japan! I imidiately looked for the date and was relieved when I realised he is going in april!

From your popst SteveAJones I take it you're ok glad to hear.

A band I like High on Fire had their last day of their Australia/NZ/Japan tour in Tokyo today there hope they're ok actually were in NZ during that earthquake unlucky tour.

Death toll is at 8 sadly that's expected to rise significantly.

Good coverage:

http://english.aljazeera.net/watch_now/

arrival times:

Tofino, British Columbia 0706 PST MAR 11 1506 UTC MAR 11

Gambell, Alaska 0606 AKST MAR 11 1506 UTC MAR 11

Prince Rupert, British Columbia 0711 PST MAR 11 1511 UTC MAR 11

the Washington-British Columbia border 0712 PST MAR 11 1512 UTC MAR 11

Neah Bay, Washington 0718 PST MAR 11 1518 UTC MAR 11

Clatsop Spit, Oregon 0719 PST MAR 11 1519 UTC MAR 11

La Push, Washington 0719 PST MAR 11 1519 UTC MAR 11

Cape Blanco, Oregon 0719 PST MAR 11 1519 UTC MAR 11

the Oregon-Washington border 0720 PST MAR 11 1520 UTC MAR 11

Point Grenville, Washington 0721 PST MAR 11 1521 UTC MAR 11

Port Moller, Alaska 0622 AKST MAR 11 1522 UTC MAR 11

Charleston, Oregon 0723 PST MAR 11 1523 UTC MAR 11

Douglas/Lane County Line, Oregon (10 miles SW o 0724 PST MAR 11 1524 UTC MAR 11

Cape Mendocino, California 0724 PST MAR 11 1524 UTC MAR 11

Cascade Head, Oregon (70 miles SW of Portland) 0724 PST MAR 11 1524 UTC MAR 11

Tillamook Bay, Oregon 0726 PST MAR 11 1526 UTC MAR 11

Horse Mountain, California (50 miles SW of Eure 0727 PST MAR 11 1527 UTC MAR 11

Fort Bragg, California 0728 PST MAR 11 1528 UTC MAR 11

Humboldt Bay, California 0729 PST MAR 11 1529 UTC MAR 11

Crescent City, California 0730 PST MAR 11 1530 UTC MAR 11

Seaside, Oregon 0731 PST MAR 11 1531 UTC MAR 11

the Oregon-California border 0731 PST MAR 11 1531 UTC MAR 11

Westport, Washington 0732 PST MAR 11 1532 UTC MAR 11

Point Arena, California 0733 PST MAR 11 1533 UTC MAR 11

Newport, Oregon 0733 PST MAR 11 1533 UTC MAR 11

Gualala Point, California (80 miles NW of San F 0735 PST MAR 11 1535 UTC MAR 11

Point Reyes, California 0746 PST MAR 11 1546 UTC MAR 11

Davenport, California (10 miles NW of Santa Cru 0747 PST MAR 11 1547 UTC MAR 11

Point Sur, California 0749 PST MAR 11 1549 UTC MAR 11

Astoria, Oregon 0751 PST MAR 11 1551 UTC MAR 11

Monterey, California 0752 PST MAR 11 1552 UTC MAR 11

Port Angeles, Washington 0755 PST MAR 11 1555 UTC MAR 11

Ragged Point, California (45 miles NW of San Lu 0758 PST MAR 11 1558 UTC MAR 11

DART 46412 0759 PST MAR 11 1559 UTC MAR 11

Point Concepcion, California 0805 PST MAR 11 1605 UTC MAR 11

Port San Luis, California 0811 PST MAR 11 1611 UTC MAR 11

Bella Bella, British Columbia 0812 PST MAR 11 1612 UTC MAR 11

San Francisco, California 0816 PST MAR 11 1616 UTC MAR 11

Cape Newenham, Alaska 0723 AKST MAR 11 1623 UTC MAR 11

Santa Barbara, California 0824 PST MAR 11 1624 UTC MAR 11

Rincon Point, California (15 miles SE of Santa 0835 PST MAR 11 1635 UTC MAR 11

San Pedro, California 0839 PST MAR 11 1639 UTC MAR 11

Santa Monica, California 0839 PST MAR 11 1639 UTC MAR 11

Newport Beach, California 0845 PST MAR 11 1645 UTC MAR 11

La Jolla, California 0848 PST MAR 11 1648 UTC MAR 11

I'm glad Jimmy isn't there yet!! As soon as I read about it, I remembered the topic on this forum, about how he is going to Japan! I imidiately looked for the date and was relieved when I realised he is going in april!

I intended to preview the London Swinging '60s exhibition tomorrow. I must say doing so is rather doubtful now as the nation begins it's recovery efforts. The transportation systems - roadways, railways, and airlines - are overwhelmed at the moment.

Sendai Airport in Northern Japan is flooded.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tokyo Narita Airport Cancels All Flights Today After Quake

bloomberg.com/news/2011-03-11/tokyo-narita-airport-cancels-all-flights-today-after-quake.html?cmpid=yhoo

Tokyo’s Haneda airport, Asia’s second-busiest by passengers, resumed flights, the transport ministry said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgADKptae5o

obviously more effects of global warming

it causes rain, snow, hot, cold....hurricanes, earthquakes, volcanos and every other natural disaster you can imagine

either that or it's those damn aliens again :o:P

Earth's natural lubricant has been extracted to such a degree as to cause rift to rift arthritis and these occurences will only multiply in scope and intensity.

Just think how your body would react if you took out your lubricant. Those joints would creak and ache severely.

Our poor Earth. :(

Unbelievable. Seeing that wave come in was incredible. This is the biggest in my lifetime I believe.

My PC is glued to all the Hawaii cams and stations. A few people I know live in low lying areas there.

Thought of SAJ too, glad you are fine, be careful!

I heard someone say Nasa could see the Earth wobble or something...maybe that was a crackpot caller, but dear gawd...this is shocking!

"porkchop" are you better known as.....*bleep*...cos if you are really in Santa Barbra, I need a couch for a week.

Pork chop and all other Zep fans in California,West Coast of Canada, Hawaii and Japan:

I've been watching the CBC, BBC WORLD NEWS, CNN...since early this am.....

My thoughts are with you...take care.....stay safe...

Juliet xo

Earth's natural lubricant has been extracted to such a degree as to cause rift to rift arthritis and these occurences will only multiply in scope and intensity.

Just think how your body would react if you took out your lubricant. Those joints would creak and ache severely.Our poor Earth. :(

What? :blink:

SAJ - very glad to hear you are alright! My thoughts are with you guys over there - I've been watching the pictures coming in on CNN.com and it is so sad to see what has happened and is still happening.

Peace.

I spoke earlier with a family member living in Oahu and she was fine on higher ground. She told me the water was at 5 feet when it arrived. But more waves may have come after we talked and they could have been higher.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tsunami awes even the experts

cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/03/11/6246216-tsunami-awes-even-the-experts

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZl4BvWGv3I http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS5I4H2UC8E

It was a case of better safe than sorry here in SB. We got some heavy current activity, especially in the harbor but no devastating waves.

It wasn't even worthy of hollering "Surf's Up" down at the seaside.

After all these warnings the last couple of years, folks are going to get complacent and the next one will probably catch a bunch off guard. I have a few friends in Hawaii who are tired of getting all their prized possessions out of the house when those mandantory evacuation horns starta blowin'.

Better look out next time. ;)

Reportedly the earth's axis has shifted by about 10 inches as a result of this earthquake in Japan. Hydrogen may have accumulated and caused the explosion at the nuclear plant.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Update 21: Cabinet secretary Yukio Edano said:

“The nuclear reactor is surrounded by a steel reactor container, which is then surrounded by a concrete building. The concrete building collapsed. We found out that the reactor container inside didn’t explode.”

“We’ve confirmed that the reactor container was not damaged. The explosion didn’t occur inside the reactor container. As such there was no large amount of radiation leakage outside. At this point, there has been no major change to the level of radiation leakage outside, so we’d like everyone to respond calmly. We’ve decided to fill the reactor container with sea water. Trade minister Kaieda has instructed us to do so. By doing this, we will use boric acid to prevent criticality.”

“Edano said due to the falling level of cooling water, hydrogen was generated and that leaked to the space between the building and the container and the explosion happened when the hydrogen mixed with oxygen there.”

green-blog.org/2011/03/12/nuclear-crisis-in-japan/

Update 26: The operator of the Fukushima nuclear power plant, Tokyo Electric Power Co, will fill the leaking reactor with sea water to cool it down and reduce pressure in the unit, a government spokesman says to AJE. Flooding the reactor core with sea water is the last emergency option available to try and cool down reactor fuel rods and prevent a meltdown.

Rescue effort in high gear as Japan death toll climbs

Efforts to rescue survivors complicated by devastation along northeastern coast

msnbc.msn.com/id/42044293/ns/world_news-asiapacific/

SENDAI, Japan —

Rescuers searched submerged homes, wrecked cars and stranded boats along Japan’s northeast coast on Saturday as its military forces mounted a massive effort to locate survivors and victims of the massive earthquake and tsunami that crippled the island nation.

Aerial footage from the hardest hit areas showed buildings and trains strewn like children's toys after powerful walls of seawater swamped areas around the worst-hit city of Sendai, about 100 miles from the earthquake's epicenter.

Adding to the panic, radiation leaked from an unstable nuclear reactor in Fukushima prefecture, near Sendai. The reactor also was rocked by an explosion on Saturday, but authorities said the blast did not damage the containment structure surrounding the reactor.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

50,000 troops dispatched

Japan's Kyodo News said that approximately 50,000 members of Japan’s Self Defense Forces were being mobilized to the hardest hit area, with that number expected to rise soon.

''First and foremost, we need to make full efforts in saving lives and rescuing people,'' Prime Minister Naoto Kan said.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

New evacuations ordered

Government officials also ordered new evacuations in several coastal areas as they warned that aftershocks may trigger new tsunamis. Residents were told to head for higher ground. More than 125 aftershocks — including a 6.8 temblor just before noon Saturday — followed Friday's massive quake.

President Barack Obama pledged U.S. help following what he called a potentially "catastrophic" disaster. One U.S. aircraft carrier is already in Japan and a second was on its way, he said. A U.S. ship also was also heading to the U.S.-owned Marianas Islands to assist, he added.

Archived