Japan hit by 8.9 earthquake

Rock N' Rollin' Man

This is terrible. My thoughts and prayers are with all those people. :( I've been watching this horrible news all day. It's all over the TV. I've never seen anything like that before, especially the tsunami. It was shocking. I just hope it won't get worse.

Hi all,

Still pro nuclear power Mr. President?This could happen right here too. :nuke:

According to the US Dept of Energy, the last reactor built was the "River Bend" plant in Louisiana. Its construction began in March of 1977. The last plant to begin commercial operation is the "Watts Bar" plant in Tennessee, which came online in 1996.

That aside let us help/pray for the people of Japan.

KB

I heard one of those experts claim that Mt Fuji has a geologic history of having a major eruption soon after an earthquake of this magnitude takes place. A 4th element ? :slapface: Let's hope not.

Using seawater to cool a nuclear reactor seems like a sign of desperation to me. The only thing they aren't showing you is the guys being exposed to radiation that are using the manual pumps and hoses to get the water there. Again, let's hope not (but I got a bad feelin' :blink: )

And some idiots are already coming out of the wood-work to rip on Obama for promising Japan financial support. Geniuses. What they should have ripped on him about was having a press conf/announcement while the U.S. West Coast was under a Tsunami warning. Get off the air fool !

And a very minor complaint concerning coverage. They built up a possible tsunami coming to U.S shores, even giving us three hours warning that the first wave would hit at 11:37am. One obvious idiot gets taken out to sea, and millions of dollars of damage happens to several marinas with supposed 8 ft waves.....and I don't even see a clip or cell-phone shot for hours !!! What the hell ? So if it was 30 foot wall of water, you wouldn't have been capable of showing us anything either ? That's piss poor !

6:17am First it was 6,000 - then 45,000... Now about 140,000 people have been told to evacuate areas near the two Fukushima nuclear power plants following Friday's earthquake, said the UN atomic watchdog. The International Atomic Energy Agency said:

Evacuations around both affected nuclear plants have begun ... but full evacuation measures have not been completed.

6:29am Fukushima nuclear plant - where a huge explosion yesterday blew the outer walls and roof off the No.1 reactor building - faces a new problem.

The emergency cooling system of No.3 reactor has now also stopped working, the Japan Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency has announced.

Sea water is being pumped into the No.1 reactor chamber to cool its fuel rods - and officials are scrambling to secure a means of of supplying water to the No.3 reactor.

6:37am Yesterday, we reported that three people had tested positive for elevated radiation levels. That number has now jumped to 160, says a Japanese nuclear safety official.

6:56am AFP says the operator of the Fukushima nuclear power plant, where a second reactor system is overheating, says there is a risk of a second explosion. We'll keep you updated right here.

http://blogs.aljazeera.net/live/africa/japans-twin-disasters-march-13-liveblog#

Red Alert: Nuclear Meltdown at Quake-Damaged Japanese Plant good rundown by STRATFOR

http://www.stratfor.com/analysis/20110312-red-alert-nuclear-meltdown-quake-damaged-japanese-plant?utm_source=redalert&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=110312%284%29&utm_content=readmore&elq=62a3116e4c1e4c488fee5f038ed5cb78

Crescent City, California 0730 PST MAR 11 1530 UTC MAR 11

Some people never learn. I have a book called 'Dark Disaster' which is about the tsunami that hit Crescent City after the Good Friday quake in 1964 that hit Alaska and 11 people in Crescent City were killed. This latest guy just had to go down to take pics and it cost him his life.

The Japan wave that hit Santa Cruz, CA was amazing to watch as all the boats and the dock were rockin' and rollin'. :o

Another earthquake hit Japan today in the same spot as the one that happened yesterday, and there are "two nuclear reactors dangerously close to meltdown." Disaster relief teams are being coordinated by the United Nations. Australia, India and Indonesia, have plans to assist, as well as the United States military, "which has nearly 50,000 military personnel in Japan", and "ordered a flotilla including two aircraft carriers and support ships." Three ships have already arrived in Japan from San Diego to provide humanitarian assistance.

A 74 member collective of search and rescue teams from Los Angeles has left for Japan to find the 9,500 estimated missing, according to a report by KTLA.com. Japan is located in a major subduction zone "of the Japan Trench where the Pacific Plate subducts under the Honshu island of Japan, part of the Okhotsk Plate, at a rate of about 8 centimeters per year," according to Jayanta Guin, senior vice president of research for AIR Worldwide, that is thought to have been activated by the most recent solar flare. It is coincidental that the solar flare happened so close in time before the 8.9 earthquake in Japan, but it's possible that the massive release of charged energy particles from the sun could have catalyzed the quake action.

newsminer.com/view/full_story/12304647/article-Solar-flare-fuels-spectacular-aurora-in-Alaska

Totally awesome photos of aurora northern lights seen from Alaska at the time of the solar flare and increased seismic activity in Japan.

alert.air-worldwide.com

cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com

iol.co.za

The United States Geological Survey said a strong earthquake struck just before noon in the sea in virtually the same place where the magnitude 8.9 quake on Friday unleashed one of the greatest disasters Japan has witnessed — a 23-foot tsunami that washed far inland over fields and smashed towns.

Saturday's magnitude 6.8 quake was followed by a series of temblors originating from the same area, the USGS said. It was not immediately known whether the new quakes caused any more damage. All were part of the more than 125 aftershocks since Friday's massive quake, the strongest to hit Japan since officials began keeping records in the late 1800s.

citizen-times.com

This video shows a three dimensional view of the topographical area of the serpentine-shaped Japan Trench, including the general area near Honshu island where yesterday's 8.9 earthquake shook. You can see Japan on the edge of the cliff at 0:45. The area of Japan is shown until about 1:26.

Solar Flare Precipitating the Earthquake in Japan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5WSFRq1sRc

Tsunami Generation Animation Generated by a Subduction Zone Earthquake

Some people never learn. I have a book called 'Dark Disaster' which is about the tsunami that hit Crescent City after the Good Friday quake in 1964 that hit Alaska and 11 people in Crescent City were killed. This latest guy just had to go down to take pics and it cost him his life.

The Japan wave that hit Santa Cruz, CA was amazing to watch as all the boats and the dock were rockin' and rollin'. :o

Hey Red, yeah....they did have live coverage on the CNN home page. And also many coastal TV stations had live feeds. I was watching those boats with my handyman. KTLA is one. They also had a live feed of the Oregon coast. And yes, I had slight memory of a biggy in Alaska....64.

This is truly unbelievable of the magnitude of this disaster. From the quake itself, tsunami and possible nuclear disaster, things just get worse. And don't forget all the people that are unaccounted for, since rescue efforts cannot reach them due to the blocked roads and that many of these areas are quite isolated too. Hope and pray for the people of Japan.

Glad you made it through the quake unscathed Steve!

Even though all of Japan is located in a geologic subduction zone where one continental plate grinds under another (the Pacific plate moving at a rate of about 8 centimeters per year, subducts under the Okhotsk plate upon which the Japanese island of Honshu sits), usually I think of Kyoto as being calm and peaceful,

but i it seems that some areas were affected.

It's as if the islands of Japan are like objects attached to the interior of a bowl of water and every so often an event disturbs the water and it instantly sloshes around inside of the bowl and over the objects that are stuck there.

One obvious idiot gets taken out to sea, and millions of dollars of damage happens to several marinas with supposed 8 ft waves.....and I don't even see a clip or cell-phone shot for hours !!!

Man swept to sea in Calif. sought new beginning

By JEFF BARNARD Associated Press

centurylink.net

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two weeks ago, Jon Weber drove his son to Klamath and stayed a few days helping him fix up the house, then returned home.

Dustin posted on Facebook a picture of the view from his new home.

"He was a great kid," the father said. "My son flirted with death a couple times and got around it. This time he didn't see it coming. There was a sneaker wave that came down the shoreline. Some friends of his were down there taking pictures. I think he was expecting the wave to come out of the ocean, but it didn't. It came down the shoreline."

They were on the north side of the river, on a little spit of sand where the Yurok people for thousands of years have used carved wooden hooks to snatch lamprey, a jawless fish that looks like an eel, from the water. A rock formation that looks like a woman with a basket on her back overlooks the site.

The official warnings had said the tsunami would hit around 7:30 a.m., and Dustin thought the danger had passed, not understanding that the surges would get bigger and go on for hours, his mother said. Someone brought a camera to take pictures. Dustin was skipping rocks into the river.

"He was not looking in the direction it was coming from, but they saw it coming," his mother said. "They tried to run down there and save him. One of the guys almost had him by the shirt. They couldn't save him.

"They tried to yell for him, but the ocean was too loud."

On Saturday, Dustin's mother, father, an uncle and friends walked miles of beach looking for his body.

"I'm really sorry we haven't found his body yet," said his mother. "I'm still thinking there may be a chance he's found alive. I know there's no chance of that. But as a mother, I want to hope there still is a chance."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9GFhO9nizY

Millions of people in northeastern Japan are without power for a third night in near freezing temperatures. Rescue workers have retrieved 2,000 more bodies adding to the 1,597 confirmed deaths, bringing the total death toll to 21,597. There are shortages of food, water and gasoline. Authorities have estimated a total of 10,000 may have died.

In the first before and after picture showing views of Fujitsuka in Sendai, you can see where all of the houses have disappeared entirely, leaving only the outlines of their foundations behind.

In the second one, you can see that an airplane previously parked in the center at Sendai airport was washed away by the tsunami, because it is missing in the after photograph.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Before and After Aerial Photos msnbc.msn.com

March 14, 2011

180,000 flee as Japan's nuclear crisis intensifies

Officials say they believe a hydrogen explosion has occurred at Fukushima Daiichi plant

msnbc.msn.com/id/42056237/ns/world_news-asia-pacific

TOKYO — Japan's chief cabinet secretary says a hydrogen explosion has occurred at Unit 3 of Japan's stricken Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant. The blast was similar to an earlier one at a different unit of the facility.

Yukio Edano says people within a 12-mile (20-kilometer) radius were ordered inside following Monday's. AP journalists felt the explosion 30 miles (50 kilometers) away.

Edano says the reactor's inner containment vessel holding nuclear rods is intact, allaying some fears of the risk to the environment and public.

The No. 3 Unit reactor had been under emergency watch for a possible explosion as pressure built up there following a hydrogen blast Saturday in the facility's Unit 1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_N-wNFSGyQ

Tsunami waves from Japan on their approach to Dillon Beach across the Golden Gate Bridge from San Francisco

on Friday, March 11.

This is surely the biggest natural dissater that I have witnessed in My lifetime:(:(:(......the ancients used to say "......beware water and fire....". We are so defenceless when it comes to Nature and its hazards, BUT we still build atomic power stations...now come on, I would challenge anyone to still embrace the MORONIC will ro keep on building and hosting atomic plants!!!!!!!

This is surely the biggest natural dissater that I have witnessed in My lifetime:(:(:(......the ancients used to say "......beware water and fire....". We are so defenceless when it comes to Nature and its hazards, BUT we still build atomic power stations...now come on, I would challenge anyone to still embrace the MORONIC will ro keep on building and hosting atomic plants!!!!!!!

Yeah, so I guess now it's time to intensify the development of fossil fuels.

If someone could design a system to develop hydroelectric power from Japan's tsunamis, they'd be in business, and if someone can fix the submarine telecommunications cables that went down. Japan will have planned power cuts to prevent mass black-outs.

two segments of a trans-Pacific network out of service and at least two other cables damaged.

news.idg.no

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hilltop city in Japan becomes a refuge for earthquake, tsunami survivors

Families escaping areas most affected by the Japan earthquake and tsunami are happy to have a dry place to stay in Hitachi city, which is situated along the coast between Tokyo and Sendai.

The small industrial city of Hitachi emerged relatively unscathed from what Prime Minister Naoto Kan has described as Japan’s “worst crisis since the Second World War," making it something of a refugee center for evacuees from cities to the north.

The city's resilience in the face of a still-unfolding tragedy that killed at least 10,000 people and destroyed whole towns on the northeast coast is credited to its topography. Most of the town's residencies sit on higher ground than surrounding areas swept away by the 30-foot tsunami that followed Friday's temblor, now estimated to have been magnitude 9 (up from initial reports of magnitude 8.9). This city on the southern edge of the quake-affected zone may have patchy access to water, electricity, or supplies, but its citizens have escaped relatively unscathed.

Escaped families

At the Hitachi Hotel Crane, families escaping the devastation of the worst-affected areas were happy to have a dry place to stay, despite the lack of running water – although the unfolding crisis at the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station, only 60 miles away, weighed heavily.

“There’s no electricity where we were and it’s still cold at night, so it feels great to be here,” says a man checking into the hotel with his young family. “I’m still worried about what could happen at the nuclear plant though. There are so many things I want to say, but I can’t put them into words right now.”

Aftershocks continue to rattle the region – and set residents on edge. The government has warned of a 70 percent chance that another 7-magnitude quake could hit at any moment.

In nearby Oarai, a small fishing port, the aftermath of the tsunami was visible everywhere: an earth mover flipped completely upside down, boats sitting in places they were never intended to be, and furniture from houses and businesses lined up along the still-wet roads.

With supplies still scarce, motorists were also lined up today for hundreds of feet waiting for a gas station to open at 5 p.m. At the front of the queue was a car belonging to a young lady who said she had been waiting for hours. Once gasoline did arrive at the station, she said she would only be able to get five gallons due to rationing.

Yet, she says, she knows how much more fortunate she was than tens of thousands of others nearby.

csmonitor.com

Yeah, so I guess now it's time to intensify the development of fossil fuels.

I can't tell if your reply is cynical, ironic or sarcastic, but whatever it is, we had better start devloping our UNDERdeveloped brains......the human race is so purile in front of Mother Nature it's NOT funny anymore :):):)

If someone could design a system to develop hydroelectric power from Japan's tsunamis, they'd be in business, and if someone can fix the submarine telecommunications cables that went down. Japan will have planned power cuts to prevent mass black-outs.

news.idg.no

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hilltop city in Japan becomes a refuge for earthquake, tsunami survivors

Families escaping areas most affected by the Japan earthquake and tsunami are happy to have a dry place to stay in Hitachi city, which is situated along the coast between Tokyo and Sendai.

csmonitor.com

Great reads from you :):):)

Archived