John Paul Jones performing with Seasick Steve

sam_webmaster

Q: On your new album you have John Paul Jones playing bass on a couple of tracks. Did you ever see Led Zeppelin live?

SEASICK STEVE: I saw them play in 1969. I was playing at a pizza parlour and this guy came in and asked if I wanted to see an English blues band. We went over to this amphitheatre and saw them play. Man, they was good. I didn't think of them like a blues band but I thought I ain't ever seen [imitates Robert Plant swinging microphone by its lead]... and the hair, plus they was so much better than everybody else. I'll never forget that show. I went backstage and saw that Robert Plant was smoking English cigarettes. I'd never seen an English cigarette before in my life so I bummed one off him. That was my big claim. I now know Robert Plant quite well and I told him but he don't remember. It tasted like shit. I was smoking Lucky Strikes at the time and that cigarette tasted poor, poor, poor. I felt sorry for him - "Man, you call that a cigarette?"

http://www.theartsde...steve&Itemid=80

You probably knew this post was going to follow: which show?

On one hand, Led Zeppelin didn't play many amphitheatre's in '69. On the other Steve lived rough and led a transient life after leaving home at 13 (1954) until 1973.

Given Steve has also said he was at the infamous Altamont concert in December '69 I'm going to suggest it was the Santa Barbara show on August 1st 1969. Any confirmation would be most appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just got home from the Cropredy Festival where Seasick was the headline tonight. JPJ was with him and it was awesome! :D

Thanks for the info Cofa. Provide some more details and a bit of a review if you could. Many of us here would appreciate it and be very interested in this. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Loving these clips you've been posting Sam!

I have to say though, that I am both fucking gobsmacked and ashamed. How in the hell have I gone through life without knowing about this guy?!? Plus, he's from Cali-fucking-fornia, my beloved home state!!!

This just goes to show, that as much as you may think you know about music(and with all humbleness, I think my tastes and knowledge run pretty far-and-wide...more than the average music fan), what you actually know doesn't amount to more than a drop in the bucket. There is so much out there, waiting to be discovered, that anybody who sits there today and says music is boring or that there are no good bands anymore, just hasn't looked hard enough.

I can beat that Strider. I only first heard of him a few months ago when he was a guest on Top Gear.

I did a bit of research on him and found out that he is from Cali but he has lived in many places, including Europe and that is where he mostly has been performing. He got his big break in the U.K.

He's only become famous in the last 6 years or so. And way more so in Europe than the States.

Thanks Knebby...I feel a little better knowing that. :beer:

I can beat that Strider. I only first heard of him a few months ago when he was a guest on Top Gear.

I did a bit of research on him and found out that he is from Cali but he has lived in many places, including Europe and that is where he mostly has been performing. He got his big break in the U.K.

Well well well....consider me beaten, then. :buttsmack:

Bought the cd and liked it. Jones' bass has than distorted growl that he had in the past. I would say the bass sound is nothing like Them Crooked Vultures but more similar (somewhat to LZ II) He doesn't play on all the tracks though I wish he did. He also plays mandolin. The last track is a story told by Steve that.......goes..............on........................way...............too...........................long!

• 1 month later...

Archived