John Paul Jones performing with Seasick Steve

sam_webmaster

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

There's an interesting interview with Seasick Steve, today on The New Zealand Herald. In a phone interview with journalist Scott Kara, Steve mentions John Paul Jones a couple of times, which I transcribe here.

The first passage is about the new album he's preparing, featuring contributions from John Paul Jones:

"The press in England especially have been very kind to me, if hugely inaccurate," he laughs on the phone from San Diego where he's visiting after being in Nashville recording his sixth album which features Led Zeppelin's John Paul Jones and Jack White (whose label, Third Man, he's signed to).

The second passage recalls an appearance at the Isle of Wight Festival:

"They're nice guys. But I just shake my head really. And I got on well with John, because he's a bit older, and these other guys (Grohl and White) are so young, you know, and they kind of come from another time from me, but John I remember being the Led Zeppelin band so the first time we all played together was at the Isle of Wight Festival with 75,000 people and I was looking over at him and I said to myself, 'What's that dude from Led Zeppelin doing here?'."

Here's the link to that interview: http://www.nzherald....jectid=10852324

• 2 months later...

"Exciting news folks".

"Steve’s new album is going to be released on April 29th. It’s called ‘Hubcap Music’ – as some of the guitars that feature on the record are made out of old hubcaps. The album features Dan on drums as usual, plus friends John Paul Jones, Jack White and Luther Dickensen. Here’s a sneak preview of one of the new tracks..."

"You can get the record on 180gsm vinyl, download, standard CD or Digipak CD. First 300 Digipaks will be signed by Steve himself so get ‘em quick: http://store.universal-music.co.uk/restofworld/albums/seasick-steve-hubcap-music-cd-album-2013/invt/0602537338511/"

Tracklisting:

01. Down On The Farm

02. Self Sufficient Man

03. Keep On Keepin’ On

04. Over You

05. The Way I Do

06. Purple Shadows

07. Freedom Road

08. Home

09. Hope

10. Heavy Weight

11. Coast Is Clear

0602537338511_medium.jpg

"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Looks like there'll be a new appearance of John Paul Jones and Seasick Steve on Jools Holland, Tuesday, April 30th:

Episode 4
Series 42 Live Episode 4 of 8
Duration: 30 minutes

Jools is joined by New York trio Yeah Yeah Yeahs, performing tracks from their fourth album 'Mosquito' including their current epic single, 'Sacrilege'. Also from New York, Vampire Weekend will be performing tracks from their upcoming third studio album 'Modern Vampires of the City'.

Blues man Seasick Steve also appears on the show, joined by the likes of Led Zeppelin's John Paul Jones on tracks from his upcoming album on Fiction Records 'Hubcap Music'. From Birmingham, a brand new solo singer, Jacob Banks makes his TV debut and from London, one of the UK's most successful singer songwriters, Dido, plays a couple of songs from her recent fourth album 'Girl Who Got Away'.

In addition to these live acts, the former lead singer of The Animals, Eric Burdon, chats to Jools about his life, career and new album.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01sbbl8

Also, here's a TV advert for the album:

Nice shots from Later... Looking forward to seeing the show on Friday.

Question for the Hive Mind:

Anyone have info or inkling whether Mr Jones will be playing with Mr Steve in the coming months? I'm particularly thinking of Belladrum Festival in August. Come on Jonesy, it's lovely up here! We's be havin' some drams for ya! :P

Nice shots from Later... Looking forward to seeing the show on Friday.

Question for the Hive Mind:

Anyone have info or inkling whether Mr Jones will be playing with Mr Steve in the coming months? I'm particularly thinking of Belladrum Festival in August. Come on Jonesy, it's lovely up here! We's be havin' some drams for ya! :P

If JPJ would be to join Seasick Steve, I guess it would be at his London show tonight.

I think the music critic who wrote that John Paul Jones is the most musically adventurous of the three surviving Zep members is right. Thanks to Zep, he has the financial freedom to do what he wants musically and he makes the most of it. Diamanda Galas, Them Crooked Vultures, electronic music, Seasick Steve. He's all over the place.

John Paul Jones played the entire set with Seasick Steve at the roundhouse in London tonight. Seven different instruments!

Great shots, Cookie...are they yours? If so, looks like you had great seats!

I finally got to see the great Seasick Steve last year at the Troubadour...alas, no John Paul Jones drop-in. But I did get to see him pull a lass up from the audience and serenade her with a song. Lovely sight...even her boyfriend approved.

Great shots, Cookie...are they yours? If so, looks like you had great seats!

I finally got to see the great Seasick Steve last year at the Troubadour...alas, no John Paul Jones drop-in. But I did get to see him pull a lass up from the audience and serenade her with a song. Lovely sight...even her boyfriend approved.

Nope, found them on Twitter.

Archived