Local feeding habits.

reswati

Since many people here haven't ever been to the Netherlands, I wanted to introduce one of our local specialties to you out there:

Friet Speciaal (French fries special).

Making it is actually quite easy...

Bake some french fries, don't forget to put salt on them.

Over this you put an equal amount of curry ketchup and mayonaise.

Decorate this with chopped onions- very small chopped ones-

1208-20080408-tocht0603.jpg

Once it looks like the picture, you can eat it.

If there are any local dishes that YOU might think are just as unique as this, feel free to post em here.

Res, you lost me with the mayo and onions. Otherwise, it looks good.thumbsup.gif

I actually tested this dish on a fellow Texan........The only negative side effect of this uhmm delicacy is that it makes one fart ones ass off.

Of course there are worse things to be eaten, globally seen....like this for instance:

800px-Gaegogi-01.jpg

Since many people here haven't ever been to the Netherlands, I wanted to introduce one of our local specialties to you out there:

Friet Speciaal (French fries special).

Making it is actually quite easy...

Bake some french fries, don't forget to put salt on them.

Over this you put an equal amount of curry ketchup and mayonaise.

Decorate this with chopped onions- very small chopped ones-

1208-20080408-tocht0603.jpg

Once it looks like the picture, you can eat it.

If there are any local dishes that YOU might think are just as unique as this, feel free to post em here.

This I can see myself eat. Not that damn poutine (I am from Québec and I am 45 years old and I have never eaten a poutine; looks disgusting)...

I really hope no one feels sick ... Beef and pork's feet, nose, interiors and reproductive organs ... seem to be a delicacy mostly in southern Italy.92702.jpg

Looks just as scary as the Korean dog curry from my second post.

:unsure: :unsure:

I think the most adventurous thing I've ever tried is calamari and that took some convincing.

Around here it would likely be a southern barbecue. Pulled pork barbecue with slaw on a bun, pork & beans, macaroni and cheese, sweet tea/lemonade, green beans cooked with ham hock. Sorry I can't find a picture of all that together.

Southern BBQ sounds good, in fact I love BBQ.

What you said bout the calamaris counts for me too, since I saw how it got cought/prepared in Spain, and the fact that it is a bit flexible freaked me up. But it was quite tasty once one ate it.

Freakiest dish I ever had: camel pancake from a co-worker from Ethiopia. He even told me it was actually good for the libido.....no wonder he had 9 children, haha.

In n Out is overrated. Definitely not to die for. I can name 100 burgers in LA better than In n Out.

Res, I'm lovin' that picture of the fries...reminds me of when I first got to Europe and discovered people dipped their pommes frites in mayo, not ketchup. It was a REVELATION! I've always hated ketchup...never put it on my fries, burgers, dogs...and I think there oughta be a special place in hell for people who ruin a good steak by slathering it in ketchup.

So when I discovered the flavour sensation of frites in mayo, I was in heaven. I took that habit back home with me when I left Europe. And I endured several years of weird looks from friends as whenever we were out and having fries, I would ask for a side of mayonnaise or garlic aïoili.

Of course, I managed to convert a few to the European way. Gradually I experimented with Thai peanut sauce, curry mayo and others.

Then in the 90's, Euro-style fries hit the mainstream in LA, when a Belgian Pommes Frites stand opened up on the Santa Monica Promenade, offering perfectly fried frites with a choice of 30 different dipping sauces and mayos.

The stand is no longer there...I think there's one in the Valley...but no longer do you get weird looks when you dip your fries in something other than ketchup.

Death to ketchup.

Hey Brad, nice video of The Hat in Pasadena! In SoCal, it's also a time-honoured post-drunk ritual to head to Pink's or Tommy's and get an order of chili-cheese-onions-fries. I also like adding jalapeno peppers. If only The Hat was open late like Pink's and Tommy's.

I'm heading to a buddies BBQ party right now! :munchies:

Carnegie Deli Pastrami sandwich...NYC

carnegie.jpg

How thoroughly nauseating.

I mean, why even bother with the bread? Why not just bring a cow into the room, and let people bite chunks out of it?

WTF

I am find that I agree with Strider on many subjects, and regarding In & Out Burgers, we are in total agreement. For anyone not from SoCal this "In & Out debate" is something we all talk about here, but unfortunately far too many people actually believe that In &Out is a great burger. They couldn't be more wrong about that. Yes, they are a great family owned business with much success. And yes they are even a quality company with "all fresh ingredients" nothing is ever frozen.

But they suck, in my opinion. Like a salad on a bun with all that ridiculous amount of lettuce and that nasty "1000 island style" dressing. And the "fresh fries" are even worse. Strider and I would probably agree that these soggy fries would probably make our European friends here probably laugh--- they are not very good. The shakes are fine, but if you can't deliver on the burger & the fries then what is the point?

The only thing I ever use ketchup for is as a base for my BBQ sauce. Ketchup is only good as an ingredient for something else.

I like fries plain with salt but I will sometimes combine mayo with Grey Poupon mustard and add a splash of Sirracha (Vietnamese garlic pepper sauce) and eat them that way.

Hey Strider, try 'The Oinkster' on Colorado Blvd. in Eagle Rock. They do the Belgian style fries with with garlic aiolli. Sort of a "Hipster" hang out, but they also serve beer.

The Hat has a very decent burger cooked on a griddle (much better than char-broiled), and their chili is very good.

I have eaten at Pink's many times, but there are always so many "tourists types" there; I really hate the long lines. Almost like waiting in line for a ride at Disneyland.

Tommy's rocks! Always has. And just like In & Out it is a 100% family owned business for over 60 years. For the money and the speed of service Tommy's can't be beat. I recommend the original location over on Beverly & Rampart for the best experience. Still can't figure out why the Pasadena Tommy's closes at 10pm. At least Eagle Rock is open late.

But for another really good chili dog or burger option I also like Carney's. Either the one in Hollywood on Sunset (just down the street from "the Riot House") or the one over in the valley on Ventura Blvd. Besides, their dogs have that "snap" which I like so much.

Cheers!

Brad

You two So Cal boys have just broken my heart this morning. heartbreaker.gif I have had better burgers in Houston, and in fact London, of all places, but to say that In N Out is overrated is just blasphemy. guns.gif It is an institution and like you said Brad, it is family owned and operated and uses only fresh ingredients. Did you know that it was started the same year as McDonald's? But that the family of In N Out purposefully kept their chain local, they wanted to keep what they made and sold to be fresh and within the family. Think of all of the crap places to eat that serve crap food, exporting said crap to countries all over the world, just for profit. Be proud of In N Out! You don't have to love it but just don't call it overrated, please. angry.gif

The last time I was in L.A., the first thing my son and I did, right after renting a car, was to drive through and get two double double's with cheese, fries and two Dr Peppers. Yummy! We didn't even wait to get to my Aunt's house. We ate our meal in the car, in the parking lot, watching the planes fly overhead at LAX.

When I think of an enjoyable L.A. dining experience, I think of In N Out! rollin.gif

I don't believe there are any In n Out Burgers in Virginia; but we do have Five Guys :)

That's one of those 1-2/year indulgences (same as with barbecue). You have to remember to ask for a Little Burger if you only want a single.

Those fries in Holland look good. I guess that's sort of Rijsttafel cuisine, which is the Indonesian style cuisine that the Dutch brought back from Indonesia.

I had a local specialty when I was in northern Italy a few years ago in the town of Lucca. It's called Lardo which is a cured salami from pork fatback with various herbs and spices or without them.

p1130396_2.jpg

You two So Cal boys have just broken my heart this morning. heartbreaker.gif I have had better burgers in Houston, and in fact London, of all places, but to say that In N Out is overrated is just blasphemy. guns.gif

Awwww, I'm sorry about your heart. :console:

I can't speak for Brad, but here's what I meant by what I said.

Yes, I know, and applaud, the history of In n Out...the family aspect, the great colour scheme and cleanliness of the place, the fresh ingredients, the cheap prices, how it's been around as long as McDonald's. All that and more. And considering how many other family-run joints have disappeared or been swallowed up by some big corporate conglomeration, I salute In n Out's ability to survive and thrive.

And there is nothing wrong with a Double-double "animal style" (but their fries are pretty weak...reswati would laugh and scoff at such pitiful things).

In n Out blows McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's, Hardees, White Castle, and just about any other fast-food burger joint out of the water.

But what I don't get, and this is what I mean when I say it is overrated, is why In n Out keeps winning these polls in the LA Weekly, LA Times, Yelp, Foodie mags and websites, for Best Burger in L.A.

Or when I hear people say they'd die for an In n Out...it's a nice burger, but one to die for? That's a little extreme.

I think there are a couple of factors that play into In n Outs popularity.

One is that it's a great value...a double-double with fries and coke is $5. In these economic times, cheap is good, and cheap with quality is even better.

Second is the look of the place...it's always clean and shiny and graphically speaking, the design is striking.

Third...it's open 24-hours. That's a major plus when you're on a drug and/or drunken burger run, and don't want to subject your tummy to a Tommy's chili-burger.

Fourth...it's got a great theme song. Never underestimate the effect of a great jingle.

So don't get me wrong, I have no problem with people liking In n Out burgers...I just don't like it when it's presented as the be-all and end-all of burgers in L.A.

Cassell's, Father's Office, Juicy Burgers, Pie and Burger, Original Pantry, Umami's, Hole in the Wall Burgers, Original Texas BBQ King, The Griddle, Fatburgers, Farmer Brothers, Jake's, The Hat...these are some of the best burgers in L.A. And with good fries to match.

I guess North Carolina barbecue would be a local specialty around here. It's a lot different than what you would consider "barbecue" because the sauce is vinegar and mustard-based, not tomato-based. It takes some getting used it, if what you're used to eating is Memphis/Kansas City/Texas style.

From my hometown of Chicago, I would say probably the Chicago-style hot dog or the deep-dish pizza.

Chicago-Style-Hot-Dog.jpg

chicao-style-deep-dish-pizza.jpg

Those fries in Holland look good. I guess that's sort of Rijsttafel cuisine, which is the Indonesian style cuisine that the Dutch brought back from Indonesia.

Well the fries are just the typical dutch un-Indonesian junkfood you can purchase on every corner here.

Another variation on the "speciaal" treat is "Frikandel speciaal", also a very dutch snack...a skinless meatball-ish sausage filled with mayo, curry ketchup and onions.

gr_ol78pt91ans92lm_frikadel_spec_copy.gif

A rijsttafel means literally rice dish, they are sold at Chinese/Indonesian restaurants....here's the two variations that I personally like the most:

Babi_pangang_4ad5be0fd89ee.jpg

Babi Pangang, pork in sweet sour sauce

and

rames.jpg

Nasi Rames, a dish of rice topped with various meats, vegetables, peanuts, eggs and fried-shrimp chips.

Archived