NYC 9/11 First Responders Excluded from 10th Anniversary Ceremony

cryingbluerain

NYC Policemen, Firefighters, and Clergy are not invited to the 10th Anniversary of 9/11 at Ground Zero (due to a "lack of room")......They weren't invited on that day in 2001 either. THEY JUST SHOWED UP AND DID THEIR JOB. Maybe they should just show up.

http://www.examiner.com/law-enforcement-in-national/anger-first-responders-clergy-excluded-from-10th-anniversary-ceremony-1

Hi all,

NYC Policemen, Firefighters, and Clergy are not invited to the 10th Anniversary of 9/11 at Ground Zero (due to a "lack of room")......They weren't invited on that day in 2001 either. THEY JUST SHOWED UP AND DID THEIR JOB. Maybe they should just show up.

http://www.examiner.com/law-enforcement-in-national/anger-first-responders-clergy-excluded-from-10th-anniversary-ceremony-1

They should show up en mass!

This BS makes me sick,... :angry:

KB

:o. What a bunch of babies these politicians are. Not about politics, eh? Yeah, ok. No, it never is, is it Mr Mayor? Oh, no, it's about the families, and the children!!

Liar. Woos. You fill in the rest.

p.s. Mr Mayor:

Have you forgotten?

Hi SummerMoon,all,

What a slap in the face! I agree Anjin-san...they should just show up!

I think I will call my buddy Gerry,firefighter and a captain of the FEMA team from Boston,who were ones of the first to respond.If his head hasn't exploded yet! <_<

KB

Hi Steve,all,

Who wants to go to the world's biggest pity party anyway? Wall to wall charlatans, with few exceptions. Staying on the job will honor the dead far more than this.

I hear what your saying,still to exclude them(purposely) , as some are retired,is a slap in the face,IMHO.Why?So some actors/celebrities/politically connected no-loads can be there? :blink:

The cops will be out in force,no doubt and in the background also the NYFD.

KB

Who wants to go to the world's biggest pity party anyway? Wall to wall charlatans, with few exceptions. Staying on the job will honor the dead far more than this.

First of all, a 9/11 attack had never happened before on American soil. Acknowledging the 10th anniversary is fine by me. And NO AMERICAN should be encouraged not to show up. Period.

Certainly you recognize that not every cop, firefighter, etc is on the job at the same time.

Maybe I missed the sentiment of the story here.

In any case, my disdain for the recent actions of Mayor Bloomers stands.

Hi Steve,all,

I hear what your saying,still to exclude them(purposely) , as some are retired,is a slap in the face,IMHO.Why?So some actors/celebrities/politically connected no-loads can be there? :blink:

The cops will be out in force,no doubt and in the background also the NYFD.

KB

oh-oh! You used the 'p' word. It's not about politicians!! Mayor Bloomers said so!!

Jerks.

Pity Party?!? You have got to be joking.....their coworkers died in the line of duty, trying to save innocent people.

Wow really??? :(

That first responders are so offended about not being invited shows what this event really means to those involved; theirs is the only opinion of substance. It's a pity that Bloomberg et al can't seem to keep the focus off of themselves, regardless of claims to the contrary. Hopefully enough pressure will be exerted to change this decision. If the powers that be still resist, it would be great to see a first responders gathering organized to crash their own event. I wonder whether those invited have started making some noise about this?

That first responders are so offended about not being invited shows what this event really means to those involved; theirs is the only opinion of substance. It's a pity that Bloomberg et al can't seem to keep the focus off of themselves, regardless of claims to the contrary. Hopefully enough pressure will be exerted to change this decision. If the powers that be still resist, it would be great to see a first responders gathering organized to crash their own event. I wonder whether those invited have started making some noise about this?

They should have been first on the list of invites! What they did that day and the weeks/months after was beyond words and they, along with families of those who lost their lives should be there. Bloomberg is an ass - he keeps digging a deeper hole for himself and sadly has two more years in office :angry:

Oh - my comment was in response to Steve's insensitive remarks....

Pity Party?!? You have got to be joking.....their coworkers died in the line of duty, trying to save innocent people.

I understand that. I respect that. In fact, their exclusion underscores these "official ceremonies" do not belong to the people. I simply suggested they could find much better things to do with their time anyway.

They should have been first on the list of invites! What they did that day and the weeks/months after was beyond words and they, along with families of those who lost their lives should be there. Bloomberg is an ass - he keeps digging a deeper hole for himself and sadly has two more years in office :angry:

You among others are missing my point. The first responders are not invited because this event isn't for them, it's for politicians and celebrities seeking to do a bit of grandstanding. If the first responders are there the talking heads would be of diminshed stature and importance. Like I said, this is (Bloomberg's) Pity Party and to think otherwise is incredibly naive.

Bloomberg: No Clergy, No FDNY -UPDATE

August 25, 2011 by Elizabeth Scalia

So, let me get this straight, just so we're all on the same page, here.

judge.jpg

When two hijacked, terrorist-piloted passenger jets were deliberately flown into the Twin Towers, in an act of war against our nation, the first recorded casualty was a Roman Catholic priest and NYFD chaplain — Fr. Mychal Judge — who had ridden to the burning towers, and blessed doomed firefighters, hearing last confessions on the way.

And while Judge's body was being carried away from the catastrophe by the firefighters who loved him, and whom he loved, First Responders from all ranks, all units, all departments were heading toward that disaster area, not running away, intent on saving as many human lives as possible, even as they weighed the terrible odds. They went up the stairs, while office workers went down. Some of them were kissed by a blind man's guide-dog, as they passed.

Of the First Responders, 343 members of the FDNY lost their lives. The NYPD lost 23. The Port Authority Police lost 37. Of the 2998 killed at Ground Zero, 403 of them were First Responders, and one of them was a priest. That's what, about 12% of the total?

In the days, weeks and months after 9/11, Rescue workers from all over the country showed up at Ground Zero to lend a hand, first at recovery, and then at debris removal. And, as Sr. Mary Ann Walsh details, here, lots of priests were there, too, from the first day, and for months afterward.

The city established a site for those looking for missing family members, a place with counselors and social workers. The line went on for blocks and priests walked alongside it and helped people accept the inevitable—a loss of someone only to be found again in heaven. A veteran psychiatrist told Cardinal Egan that he was amazed when he interviewed families and saw how deeply they had been touched by their sidewalk conversations with priests.

The church knows the importance of chaplains and designates priests to help emergency workers such as police, firefighters, and Federal Bureau of Investigation agents. These public servants need one of their own in crises and at 9/11 their own priests responded.

9/11's own, however, also turned out to be not just official chaplains but also priests in other ministries, like Msgr. Anthony Sherman, a Brooklyn pastor who counseled strangers and led funeral Masses for the dead from his parish—some whose bodies were never found—and Jesuit Father James Martin, an editor at America magazine, who worked with rescuers in the aftermath, and so many other unnamed and unrecognized priests who offered the sacraments, encouragement and human consolation.

And the clergy were not represented only by Catholic priests; there were Rabbis and Protestant ministers; Orthodox priests and Muslim clergy. And nuns, too, and everyday people of great faith, or no faith at all, who understood that something greater than opinions or ideology or theology or social theory or doubt was before them.

But now — understanding all of that — we read that New York City's Mayor Michael Bloomberg is not inviting First Responders to observe the tenth anniversary of this day of death and sacrifice, at Ground Zero.

And we read, also that Mayor Bloomberg's guest list is empty of any clergy, as well.

There will be no prayers at his little shindig. Heaven, forbid.

Apparently, there's just not enough room for all the First Responders who want to be there, because there are so many important people who must be there! They cannot be denied their photo-op, and their speechifying, and their postures and poses, even though most of them were not even in office on that dreadful day.

No, Michael Bloomberg's Super Colossal, Low-Salt 9/11 Memorial and Networking Event is a big-ticket item for the the ones who can be tapped, later, for their money or their influence — the most important sorts of people.

And of course, some of the families of the dead will be allowed in. One does need them for the pictures, after all.

First Responders and Clergyfolk are not very important to the powerful and the enlightened. They only protect us, rescue us, resuscitate us, console us, pray with us, bless us and bury us. And when they die doing it, well, one does feel terrible about it for a whole news cycle or two. And then one takes a private jet somewhere, and tries to forget…

I don't know why I should be surprised. Priests and First Responders are, like our troops, front-line folk. They're like heroes in the cowboy flicks; they ride in, shoulder the burden, help put things to rights, and then — while the elite get on with assuming their power and asserting their primacy –they recede into the background. Only the very few stick around to say 'thank you' and wave them off. Sometimes children ask them to come back, or to stay.

Bloomberg's priorities are all wrong. He's thinking like a Baron — or no, he's not really thinking at all; he's being pragmatic: mustn't let the help get get too much recognition, get too full of themselves — they might start getting uppity and making demands on milords purse and time. Mustn't let the damn clergy murmur their vulgar prayers, or next we'll have tent-revivalists cluttering up the fairgrounds and making such spectacles of themselves.

The big crowds for New Years Eve, or for the big parades, are alright, he thinks, but this is not for the riff-raff. Let's just keep the invite list confined to those who know how to dress and how to behave, and which fork to use, and when.

You know …all those consequential (and so very, very smart) people who — ten years into this — have not managed to fill the still-exposed, gaping holes in the downtown ground.

Perhaps that's because of the increasingly exposed, gaping holes in their own heads and hearts — from which pours out so much that is mediocre, bleak and unhelpful.

Giuliani, for all his faults, wouldn't be doing this.

And if an 84 year-old pope can manage to function in crowds of a couple-million, it seems to me the mayor of what used to be the greatest city in the world should be able to figure out how to bring in some First Responders, and give a few minutes over to prayer.

But then, the Bishop of Rome is anything but mediocre, bleak or unhelpful. And I understand there is a salt shaker on his table, for those who like it.

UPDATE: Max Lindenman, while waxing eloquently in favor of clergy and responders in attendance, offers a possible excuse for Bloomberg's decision:

". . .nothing would demonstrate the strength that comes from American diversity — the whole E Pluribus Unum thing — better than a row of priests and scholars representing different faiths and denominations, praying in unison. New York has plenty of talent in that department. Since I haven't lived there in many years, Archbishop Dolan's name is the first that comes to mind, but I have a hunch a fairly competent rabbi can be laid hold of without anyone's having to roam too far afield. Throw in an orthodox metropolitan or archimandrite, or whatever they call those guys, a Sikh guru, a brahman, a lama, and we'd have our own little Assisi summit.

But here's the problem: we'd have to invite an imam, too.

As I wrote at his site, I don't really agree. I think the vast majority of New Yorkers, and of Americans would be fine with seeing a Muslim clergyman at the memorial, along with representatives from all religions. After all, there were Muslims killed at GZ, also. I suspect this has much less to do with worries over an Imam, and Bloomberg simply being so insulated in his own secularist sphere that he really doesn't see the value to or the point of, prayers. And too, I suspect the man — like so many currently in positions of power and consequence — is simply clueless.

http://www.patheos.c...clergy-no-fdny/

Cheers, nine, I understood what you meant :) This is such an important event, having affected so many, and yet it is being mired by Bloomberg's colossal misdirection. It's amazing that he will not invite those who came to the rescue in all sense of the word - physically and spiritually (putting aside for the moment what people may think about religion) for reasons that make sense to absolutely no one. It's just asinine to infinite proportions. How can somebody be so daft? (a question all too frequent about many politicians these days...)

Bloomberg is now the offical King of NYC. Term limits you say? Had those, repealed 'em so he could get his third term as mayor.

As a person who lives in New York State, there are certain things about NYC that just make me sick. Bloomberg tops that personal list.

I was hoping it was a terrible rumor. I didn't know that the first responders have never been invited to the annual ceremonies. I am having trouble coming up with a coherent sentence right now since I have strings of profanities running through my head. mad.gif

Bloomberg must walk a bit funny having his head firmly shoved up his ass for the past 9 years.(At least)

I also agree that anyone involved with 9/11 should show up.

Okay, I am stopping there since I might just go into a tirade and I don't want to start trouble with my foul mouth.angry.gif

This is simultaneously a travesty yet sadly predictable. How Bloomberg keeps getting elected is beyond me.

What a crock of baloney this photo-op shindig is going to be.

Bloomberg buys his votes - he is a travesty to the city on so many levels :(

Archived