A cool Jimmy Page story I wanted to share

Joe Schmo

A woman I was involved with many years back told me a story about Jimmy Page that I will always remember. First of all, I DO believe her. She isn't the type to embellish or sensationalize.

Her ex-brother-in law, who is British, knows the guys in Led Zeppelin a little bit. Not like they're best buddies but they see and/or talk to each other once in a while.

Anyway, this was sometime during the mid nineties. She, her then husband, her brother in law, Jimmy and about eight other people were having dinner at a place in Toronto (and she showed me a picture of all of them, including Jimmy, sitting around the table so it's no BS). On stage was some small time local band playing that you've never heard of. Jimmy went up to the stage and asked, "do you mind if I play a few songs with you?" I don't even have to tell you what their answer was.

So Jimmy got up on stage and played a couple songs with them. One of the biggest rock legends of all time playing with a group of kids you never heard of. The guitarist in the band immediately and gladly gave up his guitar to Page and probably played tamborine for those two songs! Think of the story he gave those kids..."Jimmy Page played with us!" For the rest of his life that guitarist can honestly say, "Jimmy Page played MY guitar!" That's like if you and I are out in the yard playing catch and Mickey Mantle comes by and asks, "Hey...can I play catch with you guys?"

Hope you like the story. Thanks for indulging me.

Being from Toronto here...I am wracking my brain as to what venue that could be that dinner and rock would be at...please find out if ya could!

Wow,that must of been so exciting.Was Jimmy pretty famous back then when he was in Toronto?I wonder what he was doing there?

Being from Toronto here...I am wracking my brain as to what venue that could be that dinner and rock would be at...please find out if ya could!

Sorry, sir. Lost touch with her years ago. But like I said, she showed me the picture of all of them together. I've always loved that story.

A woman I was involved with many years back told me a story about Jimmy Page that I will always remember. First of all, I DO believe her. She isn't the type to embellish or sensationalize.

Her ex-brother-in law, who is British, knows the guys in Led Zeppelin a little bit. Not like they're best buddies but they see and/or talk to each other once in a while.

Anyway, this was sometime during the mid nineties. She, her then husband, her brother in law, Jimmy and about eight other people were having dinner at a place in Toronto (and she showed me a picture of all of them, including Jimmy, sitting around the table so it's no BS). On stage was some small time local band playing that you've never heard of. Jimmy went up to the stage and asked, "do you mind if I play a few songs with you?" I don't even have to tell you what their answer was.

So Jimmy got up on stage and played a couple songs with them. One of the biggest rock legends of all time playing with a group of kids you never heard of. The guitarist in the band immediately and gladly gave up his guitar to Page and probably played tamborine for those two songs! Think of the story he gave those kids..."Jimmy Page played with us!" For the rest of his life that guitarist can honestly say, "Jimmy Page played MY guitar!" That's like if you and I are out in the yard playing catch and Mickey Mantle comes by and asks, "Hey...can I play catch with you guys?"

Hope you like the story. Thanks for indulging me.

absolutely awesome story. it must be something to know Jimmy on a personal level.

Believe it or not these folks are mere mortals just as we are. I have met many celebrities through my work and have found once you get beyond seeing a "STAR" and treat them like you would normal friends or acquaintances they immediately return to earth. Unless they are working!!!!

I don't think he liked you Joe Schmo.I am not trying to be rude.Because when you met him he talked to you for a little bit and he walked away while you were talking to him so I don't think he liked you.

I don't think he liked you Joe Schmo.I am not trying to be rude.Because when you met him he talked to you for a little bit and he walked away while you were talking to him so I don't think he liked you.

Ma'am I think you have me confused with someone else. I never met him. A lady I was seeing many years back DID.

A little postscript...she said she met Page 3 or 4 times. Basing it on the few times she briefly met him (and some accounts her brother-in-law told her), she said Jimmy is actually kinda quiet...but not in a rude way. She said if you WANT something from him he's not comfortable with that. But if your only motive is to approach him, extend a hand and say, "Jimmy, I'm the biggest Led Zeppelin fan....I have all of your albums..." she said he is actually quite flattered by that. He will smile warmly, say thank you and even talk to you for a minute.

Nice story, but a better example is if you are playing soccer in your front yard and Pele comes up and asks if he can join you.

No way...Mickey Mantle...or Al Kaline...or Ty Cobb...or Babe Ruth...or Lou Gehrig (not Pete Rose...he'd probably pick your pocket to help pay of his gambling debts)

Nice story, but a better example is if you are playing soccer in your front yard and Pele comes up and asks if he can join you.

Cute example but a better one is if your getting all hot n bothered with the wife/girlfriend on the couch when suddenly there is a knock on the door, you debate on answering it cause your girl is ready to go but whoever it is persists so you open the door and its Pam Anderson and she asks if she can join you and your girl ;) ;) ;)

RjK ()_))______}~~~

In the early 90s I remember hearing a story about how Jimmy owns some property in the US and was spending most of his time here rather than the UK. I can't remember which state. Might be Florida. It was during that time that he supposedly showed up casually in a nightclub and jammed with whatever noname band was playing.

wow man i'd love to meet any of the original three led zeppelin members. Their music got me into the blues

On a similar (though not nearly as cool) note, i have seen this guy who plays steel guitar at a local folk club, and he looks like a younger (yet somehow still rather weathered) Jimmy Page! Not that i'm saying he's as good (although he plays the steel guitar something mean)

Jimmy owned a home in the ritzy neighborhood of La Gorce on Miami Beach for a short time in the 90's. I don't believe he spent much time here. A female rock DJ that I knew slightly met Jimmy at a Joe Walsh concert in South Florida in the early 2000's. Jimmy told her he visited Florida sometimes to escape the "freezing" winters in England. I don't think he's been here for years now though -- at least I haven't heard of any recent Jimmy sightings :)

P.S. The DJ said that Jimmy was "sweet as pie" and was a very humble, unassuming sort of person.

I knew a guy who was in band that toured in the southern US in the 90's. One night, the band was playing in Key West, and he said Jimmy walked in with a younger female. This was around 93/94. Anyways Jimmy asks if he could jam with the band, and this guy gives Jimmy his guitar. They played a couple Zeppelin songs like Whole Lotta Love, Rock and Roll and Communication Breakdown. Also this guy showed me a picture of Jimmy on stage with his band and he had this picture blown up and framed in his home. Also, by reading the unauthorized Jimmy Page biography, Page has a son with his former wife(who was originally from New Orleans), who graduated from high school in Florida about a year ago.

Archived