VAN HALEN!

Toronto Zeppelin

• 3 weeks later...

Curious minds want to know about the CURRENT VH. I'm not a VH enthusiast, yet I love "Fair Warning" and think they are the most logical - AND- KICKASS - current possible choice for the Superbowl halftime show.

I haven't seen them on this tour but I did see them on the previous one back in 2008 and thought they did a pretty remarkable job, especially in light of all of the criticism that's been leveled at them regarding Wolfgang, Dave's voice, onstage glitches, etc. That said, the clips I've seen of Edward playing "Eruption" from the current tour are a marked improvement over what I saw in 2008. That's not to say that he sounded shitty on that tour or anything but he seems much more animated and with it this time out. More like the Edward of old before drugs and alcohol nearly did him in. I must also say they sound pretty good on their latest album, which would make a pretty good followup to Women and Children First stylistically speaking. It's just got more of that sort of raw power I more closely associate with Van Halen and has none of the spit n' polish sound of their latter Dave-era stuff.

It's just got more of that sort of raw power I more closely associate with Van Halen and has none of the spit n' polish sound of their latter Dave-era stuff.

Again, I can't think of a more appropriate group to delver more "raw power" to the Superbowl Halftime show - in spite of the cancelled shows.

Again, I can't think of a more appropriate group to delver more "raw power" to the Superbowl Halftime show - in spite of the cancelled shows.

As you may have noticed in the link I posted a few posts back, Dave is all for it. I guess it's just matter of the Superbowl people deciding who they want. Personally, I don't really pay any attention to the Superbowl or any of the performers they have at half-time but I'm sure I'm in the minority.

Just saw Van Halen in May in Vancouver, B.C. Uhmazzzing show! Eddie was on fire! It's not just the way he plays (which is otherwordly) but how effortless he makes it all look, as well as the positive energy he exudes. All smiles for the whole show. Van Halen is only Van Halen with David Lee Roth behind the mic stand. He may not be in the vocal shape he was in in 1978, but the man cannot be denied as a frontman. Honestly it was the best concert I have ever attended, second only to Robert Plant and the Band of Joy.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Nice story, Strider! Did you have any sort of conversation with him?

Happy Birthday Diamond Dave!!!

No, he was pretty out of it. While taking classes I was working graveyard shift at the 7-11 on Santa Monica Blvd. near Fairfax. He came in late one night, just before the 2am cutoff and bought the rolling papers, beer and who knows what else...I think maybe some slim jims. He was still pleasant even though he was obviously loaded.

• 4 weeks later...

According to The Pulse Of Radio, VAN HALEN frontman David Lee Roth has posted a new solo song online called "One Piece Thermo-Molded Country Plastic Chair", which he said is "dedicated to all who are affected by and recovering from Hurricane Sandy." Roth co-wrote the tune with Scotty Emerick and posted a video for it online as part of his ongoing web series, "The Roth Show".

This month's Classic Rock mag says: 'EVH's life was saved by recent emergency surgery for a severe case of diverticulitis. The 57 yr old is expected to make a full recovery, but all VH's future dates are now postponed until 2013.'

Apparently, diverticulitis is a colonic complaint: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diverticulitis

Ouch.

• 2 months later...

Its so weird the comparassons between the Van Halen Sam and Dave versions...but I go with Sammy here...for Dave, Eddie had to tune down a few steps because Dave didnt have the range...and it resulted in sloppy playing...and when Dave went...so did Ted Templeton...and Eddie self produced...

...but Daves band with Steve Vai was much better than Van Halen ever was...as is Sammys band with Joe Satriani...

• 4 weeks later...

From Blabbermouth..

VAN HALEN will co-headline the inaugural edition of the Stone Music Festival at Sydney,

ANZ Stadium over the April 20-21 weekend.

A single-day ticket for the festival — which was inspired by the '70s cult biker film "Stone" — starts at AUD 179 and a weekend pass at AUD 319 and go on sale from noon on Thursday, February 21.

David Lee Roth recently gave a lengthly interview to Rolling Stone and says he wants co-founding bassist Michael Anthony back in VAN HALEN — among other things. Apart from the

Sydneyicon1.png appearance and a trio of Japanese shows in June, the band remains in a state of limbo. Last summer, VAN HALEN backed out of 31 North American dates, citing exhaustion, and then Eddie Van Halen was sidelined for four-to-six months after undergoing surgery for the inflammatory intestinal affliction diverticulitis.

Roth was pretty candid in the interview about the state of the band, especially on the prospect of coming up with some new songs, explaining, "I would certainly look forward to working with Ed on some new material, but we have yet to do that. Almost all of the music that you hear on our most recent album was written and demoed before the first album. . . I'm not sure what's in Ed's mind at this point. I'm gonna guess that his plans are to write with his son, and I'm not sure where that actually leads. But truth be told, Edward and I haven't written a new song in 20 years."

Roth went on to say that there is no game plan for VAN HALEN on the horizon. "There's nothing on the ticket as far as travel, and that's a disappointment, frankly," he said. "How long have I been back with the gang? Maybe six years, we'll say and we have yet to travel to Europe,

South Americaicon1.png, Japan, anywhere outside of those basic 50 cities in the United States. And again that's been a disappointment. We have an audience and we have a potential future in many, many places. . . And I don't know where the VAN HALEN future lies aside from the States. We'll always be able to play our hits — and keep in mind we have more hits than Beethoven, we have more hits than Tony Soprano — so getting onstage and playing that is glorious, and certainly getting onstage with the brothers will always be an excitement for me. But in terms of taking the music past where we found it, I'm not sure where that's going to go."

Roth touched upon the touchy subject of ousted bassist Michael Anthony replacing current bassist — and Eddie Van Halen's son —Wolfgang Van Halen, from here on out. "But Ed has his own vision, I'm assuming," he said. "We haven't really been able to speak about it and it's a disappointment, just as not having a chance for a reunion of the original band. Clearly, vocals are every bit as much a component of success as a rhythm section or a guitar solo. . . what we have at our fingertips is arguably one of the greatest high tenor voices ever — that was in Michael Anthony. In our tiny little corner of the universe, that voice is as identifiable as the high voice in EARTH, WIND & FIRE, as identifiable as the high voice in the BEACH BOYS. VAN HALEN is an indelicate house blend of both — that's intentionally."

He went on to say that he's pitched some ideas to help light the creative spark for the band. "So I would always look forward to that reunion, and I would always look forward to writing a whole variety of material," he said. "I've offered the fellows, come on out here to the land of the gods. And if you don't want to make it that far we'll make it halfway — Konishiki(Roth's friend and former champion sumo wrestler) has said he'll lend me his house in Hawaii, Let's go woodshed. But so far there hasn't been any response, so hope and faith are not actual tactics and strategies — they're strippers from

During the press conference announcing their 2007 reunion dates David Lee Roth promised that VAN HALEN was truly a new band. "This is not a reunion, this is a new band," he said. "This is a revision with hits that you're so familiar with; it's as familiar as the roof of your own mouth is to you. But the ambition has nothing to do with old history. Usually when a band comes back like us it's rockers with walkers and this is everything but. Meet us in the future, not the pasture."

Edited by the chase

Any fans of the band?

Seen them live on the reunion tour? (or before for that matter)

Fav album?

Fav Song?

Fav Member?

Discuss.

My feeling on Van Halen is lukewarm. They put out some decent stuff, but I don't believe they are in the same league as all the greats - Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, The Beatles, The Who, Pink Floyd, etc., etc. Many of the mid 80's/90's bands are better too - Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, U2, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Metallica, to name a few.

Live? Never seen them live

Album? Women And Children First

Song? Don't have one

Member? Don't have one

Better, how?

Van Halen - DLR version - went multi-platinum with every release from 1978-1984, 6 discs. EddieVan Halen one of the top-5 or so most influential guitarists ever. Then they changed singers and sold more, stayed relevant. Whether it sold or not, their recent release is an amazing disc, best 'comeback' disc heard in years - IMO. Which leads me to my last statement. If you don't have a favorite member (or at least a time period of the group) and you don't have a favorite song - why the hell would you write an opinion of the group?

Soundgarden, RHCP, Pearl Jam, c'mon man!

:huh: