soundcheck from May 4, 1973

chef free

Just got this one, I had never heard of it. This is fun, they are working out the new stuff and playing with the old stuff. Plant's voice is rough but he really sings that 50's rock.

Possible soundcheck from May 4, 1973, Atlanta Braves Stadium:

Custard Pie

Wanton Jam

The Rover

Rover Jam/Night Flight

Chuck Berry Medley:

No Particular Place To Go/Nadine/Reelin' and Rockin'

Rockabilly Jam:

Move On Down The Line/Rock Me Like A Hurricane/Keep On Movin'/Dynamite/Shakin' All Over

Lineage: LP-> Sound Forge ->Click and Crackle Removal ->Flac via TLH, level

6, sectors aligned and verified, FLAC integrity checked

Enjoy!

A DoinkerTape

Great tape, except that it is from Chicago, July 6th.

Your post is misleading - the exact date of the soundcheck is unknown. Consensus is given to the date mentioned above by chef free; some have posited others in 1973, others that it dates to 1975.

(Confer Ledy Mazeppa's posts about the soundcheck and all pertinent info here: http://www.royal-orleans.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=38487&p=754270&hilit=1973+soundcheck#p754270.)

Edited by Melcórë

True, but the piece known as "Strawberry Jam" was played almost note for note at the two Chicago shows as a part of the WLL medley, and never again before or after that.

Hmm. That's pretty interesting.

I used to be a proponent for 1975, but...I'm not so sure any longer.

I think there's almost no way it's '75. Page's guitar tone is much different in '73 than in '75, and the tone on that soundcheck is more like the '73 tone. Robert's voice was in bad shape in '75 tour, he had a lot of problems with cracking. Again, the voice in the soundcheck is pure '73...not as strong as '72 and before, not as bad as '75.

I think there's almost no way it's '75. Page's guitar tone is much different in '73 than in '75, and the tone on that soundcheck is more like the '73 tone. Robert's voice was in bad shape in '75 tour, he had a lot of problems with cracking. Again, the voice in the soundcheck is pure '73...not as strong as '72 and before, not as bad as '75.

Plus bass guitar sounds like it was direct, the Acoustic cabinets got mic'ed starting in 1975.

FWIW, I think the thing is from a rehearsal prior to the 75 tour .Quite possibly 1974. Wanton Song, Night Flight.... The Rover ! Jimmy's tone is there, Robert's voice is there, so are Bonzo and Jonesy. Regardless...just enjoy :)

There is no way this is 73'. Custard Pie and The Wanton Song were not written until 1974, unless these are unfinished, basic ideas and not really songs. Night Flight was from the IV album Headly Grange sessions and The Rover from Stargroves 72 HOTH so those two are possible. I have to agree with Ally on this one, 1974, and probably from a recording session where they were working things out and goofing about in general, unless it is late 74' and they were gearing up for the upcoming tour. Who knows??? The shadow knows...

One of my friends claims that this is a soundcheck from L.A. on June 25, 1975 and another "knows" that this is from Minneapolis on Jan. 18, 1975. It sounds to me much more like a '73 show judging by Percy's voice.

Edited to add: More data here: http://www.argenteumastrum.com/1973.htm

Edited by chef free

One of my friends claims that this is a soundcheck from L.A. on June 25, 1975 and another "knows" that this is from Minneapolis on Jan. 18, 1975. It sounds to me much more like a '73 show judging by Percy's voice.

Obviously it can't be June 25, 1975 - that would be after Earl's Court - why would they be there and no tour planned at that point. Robert's accident happened that summer.

Oops! Meant to type June 25, 1973!

Well, your "correction" is still wrong. The last LA show in 1973 was June 3...and that was the end of the first leg of the tour. The second leg didn't start until July so I doubt the band was anywhere near LA on June 25, 1973.

From the sound of Jimmy's guitar, Bonham's drums and Percy's voice, I say it's more likely this tape is 1973 and not 1975. In fact, I'd wager my complete Zeppelin album collection and say it's not 1975.

I laugh at people who say it can't be 1973 because some song or another was on Physical Graffiti, which came out in 1975.

THIS is a band who played "Whole Lotta Love" months before the song was released. In fact, on three consecutive tours of the U.S. from 1970 to 1972, Led Zeppelin played multiple songs from albums that were months away from being completed. This was also a band that would extrapolate song ideas from jams they did in concert: i.e. the riff of Whole Lotta Love from How Many More Times and Achilles Last Stand from the "San Francisco"part of Dazed and Confused.

So why would it be far-fetched to think the band would be working on some new riffs and song ideas in 1973?

A rehearsal in 1974 is an interesting and feasible idea...but I repeat, I'd wager my entire Zeppelin collection and say it's not 1975.

Edited by Strider

I don't think it's a rehearsal in '74. Always sounded like an empty stadion to me.

Edit: Forget about that, that's just what my memory made of the sound.

It is interesting though that they didn't rehearse any stuff that was played live more than just a few times.

Wanton Song sounds like an early sketch to me btw.

Edited by Z-o-S-o

This soundcheck is without any doubt from Chicago, 1973. I've never once heard it being from any other tour and if you've heard enough live Zeppelin, you can hear when this took place in the band's tenure. Plant's voice is clearly '1973-esque' and he actually blew it out during this soundcheck as he sounded like shit in the actual Chicago shows. And for those who question the original material being played, Wanton Song, Sick Again and Custard Pie were already being constructed in 1973. I have several incarnations of the studio sessions for PG and they begin in 1973, during the time when Plant had his vocal surgery. This is around the time when Page recorded versions of Ten Years Gone, which were eventually stolen along with most of his archives in the early 1980s.

And yes there was a FALL-TOUR planned after EC IN 75 to start at the ROSE BOWL PASADENA, DAY ON THE GREEN OAKLAND, basically a STADIUM-TOUR, but it was cancelled due to Robert's car accident in Greece.

No sh!t, still wouldn't explain why they would be in LA in June of '75.

No sh!t, still wouldn't explain why they would be in LA in June of '75.

BEND-OVER NUM-NUT....IF YOU sit here an analyze every-mistake every fan makes you shouldn't be on here.That(NO-SHIT) is uncalled for on this FORUM.... we are all here for one reason & take your comments elsewhere.

^ Perhaps you should think about what you're typing before you send it. The Chicago 1973 soundcheck is pretty standard Zeppelin-fan knowledge. Welcome to the club!

I-DID!! It's no offense BIGSTICK & WALTER I'm just saying that there is way too much NEGATIVTY on this forum(U-NO HOW MANY TIMES NO-SHIT COULD BE SAID) That everyone is trying to learn the thing's that some of us no already. I by no means was trying to piss-off Walter i was just sharing ZEP-INFO to the person who made the JUNE-DATE-MISTAKE & Didn't like the way Walter responded.

BEND-OVER NUM-NUT....IF YOU sit here an analyze every-mistake every fan makes you shouldn't be on here.That(NO-SHIT) is uncalled for on this FORUM.... we are all here for one reason & take your comments elsewhere.

Really?

:rolleyes: