Sky Watch

betteremily

As some of you know, I view the UFO phenomenon with one eye of a skeptic and the other of a believer, simply because I’ve seen something that I could not explain back in the early 80’s. In the day and age of youtube and home video post production, there are so many hoaxes out there, it dilutes the 5% that has kept my interest on the subject. Yet that 5% is still there, it’s just harder to filter out.

Here is some news that has been announced during that last couple of days that would be of interest to those into astrometry , skeptics and the believers alike.

It pertains to the planets orbiting a star called Kepler-32:

" Milky Way may have 100 billion planets "

http://www.upi.com/S...58681357251056/

and some people still think we are alone. i really can't believe that. surely we can't be the only ones?

and some people still think we are alone. i really can't believe that. surely we can't be the only ones?

Based on the numbers the liklihood of other life being out there has to be almost a certainty. But to say "they walk amoung us" with no evidence whatsoever is just plain crazy. What proof is there that intelligent life has ever payed us a visit? Why would they not send us a message? What would they have to lose? I am very confident they have not only not been here, but they are not close enough to detect us at least not yet. And the fact that the universe is so large does not in itself prove that there is intelligent life. It makes it far more likely there is life, but whether its intelligent is another story. One can conclude there is plenty of space for heaven to exist too cant it? And not just in spiritual form.

Based on the numbers the liklihood of other life being out there has to be almost a certainty. But to say "they walk amoung us" with no evidence whatsoever is just plain crazy. What proof is there that intelligent life has ever payed us a visit? Why would they not send us a message? What would they have to lose? I am very confident they have not only not been here, but they are not close enough to detect us at least not yet. And the fact that the universe is so large does not in itself prove that there is intelligent life. It makes it far more likely there is life, but whether its intelligent is another story. One can conclude there is plenty of space for heaven to exist too cant it? And not just in spiritual form.

i respect your views, but i believe they have been here before. not sure about them walking among us now, but it is possible, imo.

not looking for an argument, just want to say that i found your ridicule offensive. i don't believe in god, but i don't make fun of those who do.

of course this thread is about astronomy too. never said it wasn't.

No, you misunderstand you live in Austraiia, which has a clear beautiful night sky. I would rather hear from you than a youtube link.. Edited by Cecil.

Its all theory. They cannot know beyond all doubt that the dinosaurs were in fact done in by an asteroid. It makes sense but there are many other options.

Incorrect sir, it is all hypothetical. To call it theory it needs to have enough scientific proof to stand on its own. Even a null hypothesis can not be proven. There are very few theories if any that have even proven. The only scientific proof are laws.

However there Is enough evidence and knowledge of asteroids to make predictions. SETI grounds itself on scientific proof and does not rule out the possibility their hypothetical models may be wrong.

Incorrect sir, it is all hypothetical. To call it theory it needs to have enough scientific proof to stand on its own. Even a null hypothesis can not be proven. There are very few theories if any that have even proven. The only scientific proof are laws.

However there Is enough evidence and knowledge of asteroids to make predictions. SETI grounds itself on scientific proof and does not rule out the possibility their hypothetical models may be wrong.

Well Ill accept that as I am not a comlete buyer of the asteroid struck the Earth and wiped everything out theory. I know it could decimate the oxygen for a thousand years they say? What of life in the water? Would it be totally changed? Yes they can probably predict the course of certain objects based on Sir Isaac Newton's work, and I guess hypothetical is less accepting of there proclomation.

Well Ill accept that as I am not a comlete buyer of the asteroid struck the Earth and wiped everything out theory. I know it could decimate the oxygen for a thousand years they say? What of life in the water? Would it be totally changed? Yes they can probably predict the course of certain objects based on Sir Isaac Newton's work, and I guess hypothetical is less accepting of there proclomation.

The Asteroid hypothesis is based on a thin layer of earth that contains higher level of iridium. Just finding uniform layers of earth is daunting enough.

There was an interesting piece on the Mayan prophecies that involved polar shifts. One scientist thought his could have been the answer to a cataclysmic event. When he was finished with his survey and his calculations, he got a result of 2 million plus years for this geological event to occur. Thus ruling out this could have been the culprit. Good science takes patience, money and an unbiased approach. Voodoo and conspiracy theorist don't really accept proof. When their beliefs( and I mean beliefs) are questioned they cry foul. Much like the kooks that take fuzzy phone films post it and then claim they've found evidence. And how dare you question or poke fun at their naivety?

No, you misunderstand you live in Austraiia, which has a clear beautiful night sky. I would rather hear from you than a youtube link..

sorry, cecil. that comment was directed at black dawg.

i have never seen anything in the night sky other than planes etc.

my husband saw a formation of 5 lights in a triangle moving across our sky a few months ago, though ....

The Asteroid hypothesis is based on a thin layer of earth that contains higher level of iridium. Just finding uniform layers of earth is daunting enough.

There was an interesting piece on the Mayan prophecies that involved polar shifts. One scientist thought his could have been the answer to a cataclysmic event. When he was finished with his survey and his calculations, he got a result of 2 million plus years for this geological event to occur. Thus ruling out this could have been the culprit. Good science takes patience, money and an unbiased approach. Voodoo and conspiracy theorist don't really accept proof. When their beliefs( and I mean beliefs) are questioned they cry foul. Much like the kooks that take fuzzy phone films post it and then claim they've found evidence. And how dare you question or poke fun at their naivety?

you can say that about many things, including popular religions of today....

you can say that about many things, including popular religions of today....

How in the heck does explaining the scientific process relate to religion? Do you actually read what you are responding to? Maybe you are referring to the fact that people try to justify their beliefs with evidence. In that case you would be correct. You cant use scientific evidence to prove the existence of a supreme being. My pursuit here is to separate myth and chicanery from the scientific investigation. Don't get the two confused. You can either take offense to it because you know there is no hard evidence for UFOs or you can accept other points of view iis it you that you are so narrow minded that you can't open your mind to the possibility that your ideas may be wrong? This is the real truth in scientific exploration. Set forward an idea and test it's validity. But it seems you can't handle the truth.

How in the heck does explaining the scientific process relate to religion? Do you actually read what you are responding to? Maybe you are referring to the fact that people try to justify their beliefs with evidence. In that case you would be correct. You cant use scientific evidence to prove the existence of a supreme being. My pursuit here is to separate myth and chicanery from the scientific investigation. Don't get the two confused. You can either take offense to it because you know there is no hard evidence for UFOs or you can accept other points of view iis it you that you are so narrow minded that you can't open your mind to the possibility that your ideas may be wrong? This is the real truth in scientific exploration. Set forward an idea and test it's validity. But it seems you can't handle the truth.

what i meant was, we ( the general public ) are supposed to swallow lots of things that religions tell us, that doesn't have proof.

you and others like you, call believers of ufos, and aliens species "kooks " and i am bloody sick of it. i never take offense to scientific discoveries, theories or fact. i do however take offense to being labelled a "kook ", "naive "etc.

my mind is wide open, i hope you can be open to my thoughts also . i don't want to let this get nasty, or derail the thread.

:)

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_t2#/video/us/2013/01/03/tsr-myers-asteroid-near-earth-miss.cnn

On Feb 15th an asteroid will come within 14,000 mile of the Earth and will travel between the Earth and Moon! This is very close in terms of outer space. It is close enough it could effect satellites for a very short time. It should be able to be viewed with binoclulars or a telescope. It is the size of two railroad cars and very heavy. If it did hit it could do substantial damage but it is a given that it will pass between the Earth and Moon.

http://www.cnn.com/v...-earth-miss.cnn

On Feb 15th an asteroid will come within 14,000 mile of the Earth and will travel between the Earth and Moon! This is very close in terms of outer space. It is close enough it could effect satellites for a very short time. It should be able to be viewed with binoclulars or a telescope. It is the size of two railroad cars and very heavy. If it did hit it could do substantial damage but it is a given that it will pass between the Earth and Moon.

that's a little too close! maybe my hubby can catch sight of it in his new telescope!

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_t2#/video/us/2013/01/03/tsr-myers-asteroid-near-earth-miss.cnn

This is the second time in less than 3 months.