Led Zeppelin - Celebration Day Pre-order

sam_webmaster

^^^

Jeff, I realize Best Buy and Target(we don't have Walmart out here, thank god) are shrinking their cd inventory...the Westwood Best Buy just closed for good and they were right across the street from UCLA!!!

But three NEW record stores have opened up in my neighborhood in the past year so SOMEBODY must still be buying records and cds. Which means somebody will still be manufacturing them.

If this dystopian future of music only available on computer/digital files ever comes to pass, I'll just listen to my old records and cds. As long as there is electricity and batteries I can use my turntable and cd player.

I'll probably be dead or too old to care by then, anyway.

There will be areas though that do not have the physical media anymore....Its unfortunate but a fact..we'll see where those 30 stores are in 5-10 years. I am the only person I know that still buys cd's amongst the friends and aquaintances I have and there's many...I dont even know how to download movies so I am not thrilled by all this at all but with our BB going soon and FYE, Circuit City, Borders already gone the trend can't be stopped in this area at least

It may be somebody's future but it will never be mine.

Reading this thread just reaffirms for me why I live where I do...where there are 30 record stores in a 40 mile radius. I will always buy my music in a physical format(vinyl, CD, DVD, cassette) and in a brick-and-mortar location...or at the very least, a swap meet or flea market.

I have never bought anything online and I never will. I have never used Napster, iTunes, or any mp3 file sites and I never will.

I don't care how old and unhip this makes me in the eyes of today's generation. I have been buying and listening to music my way since 1969 and I am not going to change now.

I don't see you as unhip, maybe a little stubborn, but if that's what you like, that's what you like. I don't see CDs going the way of cassettes, and new vinyl will continue to be produced as long as there is a demand, which at the current time is probably coming from the hipsters in my generation. One thing about Walmart/others liquidating their cd inventory is that a lot of good music can be found in the $5 bins. :yesnod:

I love me some vinyl, and my newly purchased reel to reel is stunning. The sound coming out of both is amazing. I'm not sure if I will be buying this release on vinyl.

There's nothing wrong with a little digital. Going completely digital and offering no alternatives is a bit of a bummer, but it happens. iTunes exclusives and the such. I have bought some music on iTunes/Amazon just out of ease of access. When I was looking for a physical copy of Coda, every big box store in Long Beach, La Habra, Cerritos, and Fullerton did not have it. iTunes had it, and I bought it and the box set exclusive tracks as well. A short time later I went to Best Buy and bought the box set.

I've never understood the idea of pre-ordering. As far as I am concerned if I want it the day it comes out I'll go pick it up. If Best Buy is sold out, I'll make my way over to the one in Cerritos or Long Beach. The only attraction I see to ordering on Amazon is getting a better price, although now that they have to charge sales tax in California, the savings may be drying up.

Yes but u have to understand in my area Hartford Ct/Springfield MA- BB does NOT get (hardly) any new releases in there is literally no place to go...a year or 2 ago it was different...all I had to do was hit BB or CC at 430 after work but the well has dried up. I can guarantee if they do get this in they will get about 10 and it will be gone by 10:15....fortunately I do have the week off and for once CAN be there at opening The Beatles boxes took 2 -3 weeks to get to some people here A couple Music stores got like one of each.....I am not an itunes mark at all but often have NO alternative when Amazon sells out...

Yes but u have to understand in my area Hartford Ct/Springfield MA- BB does NOT get (hardly) any new releases in there is literally no place to go...a year or 2 ago it was different...all I had to do was hit BB or CC at 430 after work but the well has dried up. I can guarantee if they do get this in they will get about 10 and it will be gone by 10:15....fortunately I do have the week off and for once CAN be there at opening The Beatles boxes took 2 -3 weeks to get to some people here A couple Music stores got like one of each.....I am not an itunes mark at all but often have NO alternative when Amazon sells out...

My BB hardly carries music Blu Ray concerts. Spotty selection if any. I'm afraid if I go to my local BB and ask about Led Zeppelin they will look at me as if I have 5 heads! There are some people that swear by vinyl, I can hook up my record player but I like the fact that I don't hear scratches and pops etc. I have nothing fancy and can't afford the $2K for a quality player!

Jeff

I understand certain stores are going to carry limited stock and you may not be able to go out and get it. We have almost two months until this comes out, Amazon should have it figured out by then, and if not you can buy it on the Best Buy site and have it shipped.

I have a Pioneer PL-518, a decent consumer grade direct drive turntable, with an AT 440mla entry level audiophile cart/stylus,. While I do not like scratches, if there is care taken with them (records) they will last forever. All I do is dry brush them before play and for the most part they sound great. Definitely a slightly more labor intensive listening experience, and I only put on a record when I'm in a certain mood or home alone, otherwise it's playing off my hard drive through my headphones.

I just don't know if this will get enough play to warrant a vinyl copy. There have also been some quality control issues with new records, the newest Pink Floyd releases come to mind. The cds will easily be played for a solid week or two in the car.

I would say in the US anyway they are VERY mixed up...I am not gonna kill this thread cuz i realize its a US specific problem for the most part. I just ordered from BB on line and if it pops up again cheaper on Amazon ill cancel and go that route-u are right it is not available in BB stores so will sleep late on the 19th...I agree with every person who does not want to download music....It's just become a necessary evil where I live The last new Zep cd I recall seeing was HTWWW in stores The locals didnt even get TSRTS remaster although Mothership made it to a few places. I had to go to 3 BB's to get Band of Joy ..that's where they are at here on- east coast US altho Boston I am sure has other stores- its 2 hours away from me...If I get a new car and can plug ipod in for car speakers then ill end up doin that in the Spring I am not an audiophile and can't really hold my own in an equipment discussion-as long as I have car music I am good...I didnt have a dvd player even until the LZ set came out ten years ago...then I broke down and got one ...anyway OT that sad time to remember losing John Bonham has come around again...My senior year in HS saw Bonzo and John Lennon gone...not such a great year...so, I know: there's worse things than pre order messes.

I still have my original Led Zep albums (and several hundred more) from the 1970's! Trust me! They are unplayable!!! :D

Jeff

Fortunately I have been a music geek from an early age(THANKS DAD!) and taught from the get-go on proper use and storage of records, so none of my records are scratched and many of my records from the 60s and 70s still sound great.

My old Velvet Underground records sound better than the CDs...I've never liked the way "White Light White Heat" sounds on CD.

Another lesson I learned at a young age: Never loan your records out unless you plan on being there when they are played. Some of my friends had atrocious habits regarding the treatment of records.

I don't see you as unhip, maybe a little stubborn, but if that's what you like, that's what you like. I don't see CDs going the way of cassettes, and new vinyl will continue to be produced as long as there is a demand, which at the current time is probably coming from the hipsters in my generation. One thing about Walmart/others liquidating their cd inventory is that a lot of good music can be found in the $5 bins. :yesnod:

That's the truth. I was able to find all of the Van Halen albums for $5 in the Walmart bargain bin. Same for Black Sabbath. When I was rifling through there I also ran across a couple copies of Coda, but I passed them up because I already own it.

Blu-ray gives the best possible sound that DVDs do not give. The DVD sound is great. The Blu-ray uncompressed audio is even Better. To get the best Blu-ray sound, you will need an amp that has HDMI inputs.

The other great thing about Blu-ray, is that you don't usually have any "layer changes", like you do with some DVDs.

With DVDs, to get all the data on one disc, a dual layer is used. And every time the layer chagnes, it is noticable pause in the film. As short as that "pause" is, I find that unacceptable in this would of digital home theater. I have never experienced a "pause" watching any Blu-ray discs.

Most Blu-ray players are backward compatible, and so, they will play your DVDs, and that with an enhanced video resolution.

My Sony Blu-ray player will even play SACDs ! (But you have to have a Receiver that accepts HDMI cables -- The AVS Forum has details about this....) (I got My Sony Blu-Ray player at Sam's in 2010 for around $100, and it came with an HDMI cable. The Blu-ray player I have also can stream Netflix, You Tube videos, and Pandora from the internet).

The only drawback to the Blu-ray discs, is that some if not many discs are made by movie studios that use the Java system in the Blu-ray disc's Menus. By using Java in the Menus, this takes away the ability that you had with DVDs, to stop the movie, and then later start the movie from where you left off. With the Blu-ray discs that have Java, the movie goes back to the beginning after you stop the movie. :(

Well all is well in Amazon Preorder USA land again People Grab it at that price! Now the sadness of tomorrow's date ...

After all of that doom and gloom. ^_^

I'm gonna pre order it now, only about $7 cheaper than Best Buy. With tax it comes out to $41.29 with free 5-8 day shipping. If I see it in the theater next month, I wont mind getting it a little later than everyone else.

I know doom and gloom is always present a little bit everywhere...I pictured myself in a fantasy sequence scaling the hills aroung loch ness and there's the hermit only....he's holding the bluray! If u didnt see TSRTS I know that made no sense and maybe even if u did....5 years of waiting made me OCD there for a while

Blu-ray gives the best possible sound that DVDs do not give. The DVD sound is great. The Blu-ray uncompressed audio is even Better. To get the best Blu-ray sound, you will need an amp that has HDMI inputs.

The other great thing about Blu-ray, is that you don't usually have any "layer changes", like you do with some DVDs.

With DVDs, to get all the data on one disc, a dual layer is used. And every time the layer chagnes, it is noticable pause in the film. As short as that "pause" is, I find that unacceptable in this would of digital home theater. I have never experienced a "pause" watching any Blu-ray discs.

Most Blu-ray players are backward compatible, and so, they will play your DVDs, and that with an enhanced video resolution.

My Sony Blu-ray player will even play SACDs ! (But you have to have a Receiver that accepts HDMI cables -- The AVS Forum has details about this....) (I got My Sony Blu-Ray player at Sam's in 2010 for around $100, and it came with an HDMI cable. The Blu-ray player I have also can stream Netflix, You Tube videos, and Pandora from the internet).

The only drawback to the Blu-ray discs, is that some if not many discs are made by movie studios that use the Java system in the Blu-ray disc's Menus. By using Java in the Menus, this takes away the ability that you had with DVDs, to stop the movie, and then later start the movie from where you left off. With the Blu-ray discs that have Java, the movie goes back to the beginning after you stop the movie. :(

Or a Blu Ray player and receiver with preout/preinputs. More wire of course but you still get the uncompressed audio. AVS forum,which I'm a member also is one of the best A/V sites on the net. I bought my first Sony Blu Ray player (had 3 Pannys before that) to take advantage of SACD and I'm glad I did. SACD sounds just awesome!! NOTE!! Do NOT buy Monster Cables! They are so overpriced it's not funny! Monoprice and BlueJean Cables are way better and way less expensive. I bought a 6', a 3' and an 18" HDMI cable from Monoprice and I spent less than $20. They are all black net jacketed 22awg with gold plated connectors rated for 1600P or better.

Jeff

I must add on something almost never mentioned- is Blu rays also do not scratch as easy I have got a few loose ones and in DVD land that's trouble but BR definitely seems more coated or something...I know for audiophiles its the pic and sound which are indeed unmatchable but I have gotten a few "floaters" and not a scratch/skip on the BR's..thanks for the info abt Java I have always wondred why disc doesnt start again in same place...now I know..

NOTE!! Do NOT buy Monster Cables! They are so overpriced it's not funny! Monoprice and BlueJean Cables are way better and way less expensive. I bought a 6', a 3' and an 18" HDMI cable from Monoprice and I spent less than $20. They are all black net jacketed 22awg with gold plated connectors rated for 1600P or better.

Jeff

Jeff, thanks for the heads up about Monster Cables. The Monoprice cables sound just like what I would use for any cable upgrade or repplacement.

Boy, do they rack in the suckers with Monster Cables at the Box stores !!!

Jeff, thanks for the heads up about Monster Cables. The Monoprice cables sound just like what I would use for any cable upgrade or repplacement.

Boy, do they rack in the suckers with Monster Cables at the Box stores !!!

My pleasure! That's what is great about the internet! You can educate many people about things like this! Even BB's less expensive cables as well as Walmarts are still more expensive than Monoprice or Blue Jean Cables!

Jeff

Archived