Is the media & business sexist against men (especially long haired/ban ties)

weslgarlic

Is the media/business in general sexist towards its male presenters.

While female news presenters can dress in a variety of different smart variety of different clothing ,the male news presenters are stuck in formal suit and ties ,surely if uniforms are to be expected to be worn,then like at school both sexes should be expected wear it (including tie )In the armed forces/emergency forces women can have a variety of very short to very long cuts,yet their male collegues can only have short

Female news presenters are allowed an variety of short to very long hair cuts,yet males don't .and are expected to have short back and sides.

in these so called days of equality ,its a taboo for a straight man (not a transvestite or entertainer) to wear long hair

Why not test the waters during bbc "Children in need ",when news readers do various comedy sketches for charity ,Let lets say Neil Oliver (Coast fame)or another male presenter with collar length hair or longer read the news on that day without the aide of a tie .

Surely in these days of Health & Safety ties should be banned anyway.

Thanks a lot........I hope your next shite is a hedgehog !!!!!!!!!

Now that would be rather uncomfortable :o

Up until 2000 my hair was half-way down my back. After having my hair long from 94' - 2000' I figured it was time for a change so I cut it all off. Though I agree, when my hair was long I was hassled by the fuzz and not taken very seriously in business circles. Once I cut my hair, no more issues. That is BS!!!

My husband is a commercial fisherman and business owner.

So he goes from dirty jeans & shrimp boots to a tie and suit quite often.

Fellow fishermen look askance at him in tie and suit.

Business people look down at his shrimp boots..and speak (or not speak) to him as if he is uneducated!

He has learned to dress accordingly!

But I dare say in my field if a woman is not dressed "professionally" they are not treated with as much respect.

"Odd" hair color, extreme cuts, piercings and tattoos while allowed, are frowned upon.

I don't think it is fair but it is the way things are.

That's true, you don't often see a casually dressed man with longish hair in an official capacity (OK, hardly ever - aside from Sir Richard Branson). I would rather look at the OP from Wakefield than George Alagiah any day. Bring on the long-haired men!

Someone will have to revive Bowie's Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Long-haired Men

I use to have very long hair for 20 years, I felt the vibes that some people would send off, mostly negative. When I cut my hair, some people I worked with didn't recognize me. I use to fck with them by changing my voice from a NY accent to a southern accent. It was amazing the difference in which I was treated . After pulling this routine for a few hours, I changed back to my normal voice and said "Hey asshole, it's me." The astonished looks were priceless.

Also, for 20+ years I wear a Kafiya (Keffiyah) I've seen different spellings, for the first 10 or so years, no one said anything or put out bad vibes, then 9/11 happened and I would get weird looks/vibes, especially in the subways.

So try having long hair, sometimes a beard and wearing a Kafiya...I hit the trifecta of negative stereotypes. I cut my beard and hair, but still and always will wear a Kafiya, they are very warm in the winter, the heavy ones and the thinner ones great to wear in the spring/fall.

100 years ago when the bop was introduced there was outcry , women looking like men ,one female teacher was even sent home for wearing such an hair cut ,that would not happen today,you would not say to short hair she looks like abloke on tv yet if a long hair man appears on a comedy quiz panel show or sporting game , he looks like a girl remarks are often quoted.

All sexual , religious and other prejudices seem to be disappearing apart from the taboo of the long haired straight male , its supposed to be 2012 not 1952

When I was 18 or thereabouts, i was walking through my village wearing an Afghan coat. My hair was waist lenth and i had a long colourful scarf on. On passing a man and his young son on the pavement he said to his son "son, that's what you'll look like if you don't eat your greens" :D I almost pissed myself laughing

When I was 18 or thereabouts, i was walking through my village wearing an Afghan coat. My hair was waist lenth and i had a long colourful scarf on. On passing a man and his young son on the pavement he said to his son "son, that's what you'll look like if you don't eat your greens" :D I almost pissed myself laughing

Strange but true I used to wear an afghan coat with hair down to my waist and I wore a Rupert scarf !!!!!

I still prefer men with long hair, at least shoulder length. I just think it looks better if well kept. I have asked my son for years to let his hair grow longer, he doesn't listen, but I can still ask! Just one woman's opinion. Maybe it is a 70's thing? :)

It's weird, the supposed "feminization" of long hair seems to make (some) people uptight. Remember the outcry when football player Tom Brady grew his hair longer - not even long, just longer - because his wife asked him to. She was right, he looked hawt, and a lot younger too.

tom-brady-long-hair.jpg

I think for older guy's at least, it really depends on your hair and your features. Some older men with long hair can pull it off and look great doing so. Other's...not so much. I'm in the not so much category :lol:

I own over 150 ties and can honestly say that a sharp dressed man is more likely to be laid by a hot chick over somone who dresses like shite. My wife married me and there are plenty of better looking fellows out there, but I take care of myself and my look, Besides there is something exciting about having a starched collar, great tie, and good pair of shoes with a great looking belt.

I hate to see men being put off or ignored for their looks (or anyone for that matter). But, if you are trying to achieve something where formal rules apply, then its all about being flexible. I hate how people do that to other people with the way they dress :P So annoying.

• 1 month later...

100 years ago a female teacher who had the bop hair cut was sent home ,till she grew hair long enough not to look like man , they would not do it know, the armed /emergency forces and legal professions have females with long , medium and short hair in powerful roles, Whereas males are expected to have short hair only.

Lloyds have a ties must be worn in their London headquarter building , but the rule only applies to men , surely this sexism, If uniform has to be worn ,then like school ties should have to worn by both sexes.

Archived