N. Korea angrily makes nuclear threat

weslgarlic

Speaking of Vietnam...My brother Larry (on the right) at Cu Chi in 1966 with his pals 'The Wolfhounds'

Also, him with his .308.

We won militarily....Lost politically.

He is now living in Tahlequah, Oklahoma.

post-503-0-28185100-1365377495_thumb.jpg

post-503-0-36578300-1365377548_thumb.jpg

^ Was he a sniper? Thank him for me for all he has done, and all he experienced... You are right, we did win militarily, not only did we win the battles, by 73' the north no longer existed as a modern state as all cities and population centers had been bombed back into the stone age. Lucky for them the Chinese invaded and pulled a Marshall Plan on their ass, now they are a trading partner.

I have a question for y'all: If North and South Korea go to war would you support getting involved (whatever your respective country may be)?

If WMD's are used then everyone will be involved regardless. The other thing that concerns me, is if the Chinese decided that this would be a good time to try and reclaim Taiwan.. What then ?

If the insane man child in North Korea starts firing missiles I expect China to invade and install a new saner puppet govt. China makes too much money off of USA to risk an all out war on the Korean peninsula. That is the best case scenario anyway in my opinion. If US is forced to defend South Korea and this becomes Korean War act II then things will get real messy real quick. I'm certain China will intervene no matter what course current events take.

Well, since you brought it up, if it were not for the French we would have, without any doubt, lost the American Revolution. Plus, the American Revolution was, you guessed it, a proxy war between France and England, we just provided the battleground.

That's the stupidest thing you've ever posted, which is saying a lot.

Yep, that little toad is gonna accidentally light it up playing his stupid, dangerous extortion game. I hate so say this but I believe there will be war within two weeks and many will die. It will stay within the Korean peninsula as their medium-range missiles have a 50% rate and their long range a 100% failure rate. Though that will be cold comfort to the possible millions of Koreans that may die, plus the 24,000 American ground forces and the naval and air force personnel which may die or be wounded in a confrontation.

Millions of Koreans dead and blah blah blah within two weeks...THIS is the stupidest prediction you've ever posted.

I hate so say this but I believe there will be war within two weeks and many will die.

This isn't as outlandish as some may consider it.

We may be much closer to this thing than many may realize.

There's a tendency to doubt the intensity with which the media reports, which led me personally to tend towards my previous response that it was sabre-rattling.

Now I believe it's likely imminent.

I won't argue numbers, but Sag's estimates are not unrealistic in the least.

The hope would be they are the worst possible results, and the reality will be much less.

This issue has certainly entered my prayers.

Feel some what good about your confidence Steve. Hope you're correct

North Korea's frequent threats coupled with missile tests are merely a means to a long-term end.

The first step is to impregnate the South Korean public with war hysteria and the illusion that the withdrawal of U.S. troops would lead to peace and reconciliation between the two Koreas.

The second is to instill fear in the American public by one day demonstrating its capability to marry a nuclear warhead with an intercontinental ballistic missile with the range to hit the U.S. West Coast. When that day comes, Washington may have second thoughts about its treaty commitment to the defense of South Korea, Pyongyang calculates.

As it stands, North Korean missiles have got a range of about 2,200 miles with no capability for delivering a nuclear payload. Although a NK test missile could inadvertently hit Japan or Guam, the United States is well out of range and the likelihood for Japan or Guam to be hit is virtually nil for obvious (and perhaps not so obvious) reasons.

According to all military experts, most of what we see as far as military strength is nothing but a dog and pony show. It's true they could mount one heck of a bombardment along the border with South Korea, but most of the equipment you're seeing being paraded around is ancient and almost useless. 70's - 80's soviet tanks without parts, limited ammunition, and most importantly, a very limited fuel supply to sustain any kind of ground assault. There's plenty of troops, but no way to get them anywhere but on foot. Their Navy is also pretty much non-existent.

Type O...c'mon man you're smarter than this.

North Korea's frequent threats coupled with missile tests are merely a means to a long-term end.

The first step is to impregnate the South Korean public with war hysteria and the illusion that the withdrawal of U.S. troops would lead to peace and reconciliation between the two Koreas.

The second is to instill fear in the American public by one day demonstrating its capability to marry a nuclear warhead with an intercontinental ballistic missile with the range to hit the U.S. West Coast. When that day comes, Washington may have second thoughts about its treaty commitment to the defense of South Korea, Pyongyang calculates.

As it stands, North Korean missiles have got a range of about 2,200 miles with no capability for delivering a nuclear payload. Although a NK test missile could inadvertently hit Japan or Guam, the United States is well out of range and the likelihood for Japan or Guam to be hit is virtually nil for obvious (and perhaps not so obvious) reasons.

According to all military experts, most of what we see as far as military strength is nothing but a dog and pony show. It's true they could mount one heck of a bombardment along the border with South Korea, but most of the equipment you're seeing being paraded around is ancient and almost useless. 70's - 80's soviet tanks without parts, limited ammunition, and most importantly, a very limited fuel supply to sustain any kind of ground assault. There's plenty of troops, but no way to get them anywhere but on foot. Their Navy is also pretty much non-existent.

My remarks weren't concerning the American mainland, I'm referring to (and I'm fairly certain Sag is, too) South Korea and all of our military there.

They have more than enough technology to wreak more destruction there than anyone wants to see.

It could easily be one of the worst military attacks in the past 50 years.

Perhaps this little madman thinks Obama is too soft to retalliate in kind, i.e., full nuclear response, if necessary.

Maybe he thinks we're already stretched too thin in the Middle East and Afghanistan as well as too war-weary to mount a sufficient response in time to prevent a full invasion.

Maybe he realizes the advantage that comes from being crazier than people think you really are, as in, "Oh, he'd never do anything THAT crazy!" and the false security such assumption brings.

Maybe he's being goaded by the New World Order crowd to kick off what could become the introduction of World Government.

I'm not in a position to know the why, but I'm certainly hearing a lot of chatter about it being a legit threat.

Perhaps this little madman thinks Obama is too soft to retalliate in kind, i.e., full nuclear response, if necessary.

Sorry guy, but that's just your political prejudice speaking. It's obvious by now you aren't a fan, but to think any modern President of any party wouldn't make that call is just plain silly. I also doubt a full nuclear response would even be necessary to bring down the regime....which would be the immediate goal of any military response.

Sorry guy, but that's just your political prejudice speaking. It's obvious by now you aren't a fan, but to think any modern President of any party wouldn't make that call is just plain silly.

And yet Obama ran ads to this effect about Romney.

It wasn't dismissed as silly when Obama suggested a Romney presidency wouldn't have made the call to take out Bin Laden when the opportunity arose.

And it's hardly just my personal political perspective that shows Obama is viewed around the world as a weak leader.

Besides, I listed a number of possibilities, all pure conjecture and all with the obvious caveat that I have no way of knowing.

Doesn't discount the substance of my original comment, though, regarding the legitimacy of this threat.

And yet Obama ran ads to this effect about Romney.

It wasn't dismissed as silly when Obama suggested a Romney presidency wouldn't have made the call to take out Bin Laden when the opportunity arose.

And it's hardly just my personal political perspective that shows Obama is viewed around the world as a weak leader.

Besides, I listed a number of possibilities, all pure conjecture and all with the obvious caveat that I have no way of knowing.

Doesn't discount the substance of my original comment, though, regarding the legitimacy of this threat.

I believe that both Romney and McCain made those statements themselves.....that they would not go after Bin Laden in Pakistan without their permission. Obviously history suggests that Obama not only didn't make that promise, he specifically killed him by keeping Pakistan in the dark.

Remember before the Iraq war how we had to hear about them having the world's 4th largest army.....what a crack group "The Elite Guard" was built up to be by the media ? Once the bombs started falling, most of them ran so fast they left their shoes in the sand.

I believe that both Romney and McCain made those statements themselves.....that they would not go after Bin Laden in Pakistan without their permission. Obviously history suggests that Obama not only didn't make that promise, he specifically killed him by keeping Pakistan in the dark.

Not the same thing to compare how intensively they intended to search for Bin Laden to whether they would issue the order to kill him were he found.

As was mentioned when Obama's ads came out, ANY sitting President would issue the same order given the circumstances.

Romney suggested he wouldn't make a priority of hunting down Bin Laden.

And it was in response to a question, not like part of his official platform, something he actively campaigned on.

He didn't say he would discontinue the general standing order in place since Bush to take him out were he discovered.

Obama simply acted on a continuation of the dreaded Bush doctrine to eliminate Bin Laden given the opportunity.

Completely agree with your assessment of the situation, SAJ.

That was interesting...enter a North Korea thread and end up reading about Vietnam and the Revolutionary War.

I see Kim Bunghole doesn't fall far from his family tree. Another madman in charge of North Korea, rattling his sabres to make him look tough. North Korea's bark has always been louder than its bite. Many of the salient points have been digested already in this thread(the illusion of its actual military and nuclear capabilities, the need for North Korea to appear crazy to the outside world), but there is one that I haven't seen addressed yet.

That is China. I know China aided in the past and they are nominally a North Korean ally. But I wonder if China is starting to realize that the cons of supporting North Korea are outweighing the pros. China is in a much different position today than it was in the 1950s during the Korean War. Whether it publicly admits it or not, China needs the benevolence and good will of the U.S. and risking the relationship with DC over the tired antics of a useless puppet like North Korea may finally make China see the need to abandon North Korea. This time, if North Korea goes too far, China may not be there to help. It'll let them suffer the consequences of their idiocy, knowing that they can reap the economic benefits afterwards via its technology and geographical proximity.

By the way, is there a way one can happily make nuclear threats?

We in the developed world must not allow North Korea to dissolve, otherwise we would be facing a global economic meltdown that would start with the collapse of South Korea which would be overwhelmed overnight - incapable of providing welfare for millions of new people at which point the economic ramifications spread into Japan, Taiwan, and Singapore and within days spread directly into Europe and North America. No matter how bad it is, they must make sure that an independent North Korea continues to exist.

This. It's in no one's best interest to have war or to see NK implode and have millions of refugees flooding across the DMZ. Unfortunately, the "mad dog" rhetoric being used by NK is the only card it has left to play and does so regularly in order to blackmail the international community to get more assistance (food, oil, etc.) for its impoverished country. Don't expect this pattern of behavior to end anytime soon. No one would benefit outside of the millions of souls in NK who will continue to suffer indefinitely under this totalitarian regime.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/kim-jongun-wonders-if-nuclear-threats-distracting,31998/

PYONGYANG—Amidst escalating tensions between North Korea and the global community, Supreme Leader Kim Jong-un expressed concern Tuesday that his ongoing threats of inciting a nuclear war are distracting him from the more fundamental goal of starving his citizens. “I know it’s important to focus on making bold and increasingly outlandish threats involving nuclear weapons, but at the same time, I’ve got millions of people out there who need to be starved, and isn’t that ultimately priority number one?” the North Korean dictator wondered aloud, adding that his obsession with eradicating the West in a hail of nuclear rockets may have caused him to “lose sight” of his main responsibility of allowing the nearly 25 million men, women, and children under his watch to starve to death. “Here I am working around the clock to expand our nuclear program so that our foes might feel the bitter sting of their arrogance, and, meanwhile, we haven’t had a proper famine in nearly 15 years. I think we can ultimately accomplish both goals, of course, but I just don’t want to take my foot off the pedal when it comes to nationwide malnutrition and hunger, because that’s our real bread and butter around here.” Kim added he was happy, however, with the job he’s done juggling insane, warmongering rhetoric with gross human rights abuses.

Perhaps this little madman...

Sorry, I'm not buying it. Wacky Ghadiffi. Sodamn Insane. What is the one thing all of these supposedly "crazy" dictators have in common? They watch US Presidents come and go as they hold onto power for years, even decades in some instances. This North Korean "kid" is going to be hosting dog & pony shows for years to come because #1) those who pull the strings in North Korea decided he was their guy and #2) an Obama administration has neither the will nor influence with China to change it.

This. It's in no one's best interest to have war or to see NK implode and have millions of refugees flooding across the DMZ. Unfortunately, the "mad dog" rhetoric being used by NK is the only card it has left to play and does so regularly in order to blackmail the international community to get more assistance (food, oil, etc.) for its impoverished country. Don't expect this pattern of behavior to end anytime soon. No one would benefit outside of the millions of souls in NK who will continue to suffer indefinitely under this totalitarian regime.

Generally speaking, South Koreans are a proud, resilent and very hard-working people. It would take many years to absorb and rectify all the deficiencies of the Northern region but there is no one more suited to the task. Personally, I do hope to see a reunified Korean peninsula in my lifetime so the sooner NK falls the better.

Archived