N. Korea angrily makes nuclear threat

weslgarlic

I don't want to be right on this.
I want it to be just run-of-the-mill, status quo sabre-rattling.

I just can't help thinking about my mom taking my dad to the hospital so many times it became old hat.
Then one day she took him and he didn't come back.

We were so used to the routine that when he actually died, we were pretty shocked.

I keep thinking, we're so used to the routine from these dictators, what if this guy really is batshit crazy?

Enough to actually touch off a calamitous exchange of missiles that leaves a lot of bodies on the ground - or in radioactive ashes.

No, I don't want to be right, but those thoughts keep rising to the top and I can't help but think, "Damn, that would suck" that we had become so jaded towards these precipitous actions that we're caught completely off-guard when they actually go through with it.

I keep thinking, we're so used to the routine from these dictators, what if this guy really is batshit crazy? Enough to actually touch off a calamitous exchange of missiles that leaves a lot of bodies on the ground - or in radioactive ashes.

Given same sex marriage and amnesty for illegal immigrants are the primary issues for Obama's administration I would say we would all be shit out of luck.

Millions of Koreans dead and blah blah blah within two weeks...THIS is the stupidest prediction you've ever posted.

You know Steve, I do not know what I did to piss you off but whatever it was I apologize. I am simply stating an opinion and my concern for the lives of many people, that's all. The reason I believe war is a real possibility is because unlike his father and grandfather, this newest version Kim has not left himself an out like his predecessors have. There is no way he can save face after all his bellicose without any gain, this is what I fear. I also fear he may launch one of his missiles in a test, however due to the shittiness of his missiles it may go off course and be perceived as an actual attack thus lighting the powder keg. This is not that ludicrous.

Also, if you do not believe what I wrote about the American Revolution, please by all means do your due diligence and research. There is nothing disrespectful about the French helping us out, good for us. There is also no falsehood in calling this a proxy war for the French - English, the American Revolution's timing was perfect for us and when the French committed to our side en masse, this indeed became a proxy war.

Again I am sorry if the truth and facts upset you, or if my opinion upset you in any way as that was not my intent. Hey, if you are ever in Phoenix PM me and I will buy you dinner...I promise no politics or religion, just Zeppelin.

Peace :friends:

You know Steve, I do not know what I did to piss you off but whatever it was I apologize. I am simply stating an opinion and my concern for the lives of many people, that's all. The reason I believe war is a real possibility is because unlike his father and grandfather, this newest version Kim has not left himself an out like his predecessors have. There is no way he can save face after all his bellicose without any gain, this is what I fear. I also fear he may launch one of his missiles in a test, however due to the shittiness of his missiles it may go off course and be perceived as an actual attack thus lighting the powder keg. This is not that ludicrous.

Also, if you do not believe what I wrote about the American Revolution, please by all means do your due diligence and research. There is nothing disrespectful about the French helping us out, good for us. There is also no falsehood in calling this a proxy war for the French - English, the American Revolution's timing was perfect for us and when the French committed to our side en masse, this indeed became a proxy war.

Again I am sorry if the truth and facts upset you, or if my opinion upset you in any way as that was not my intent. Hey, if you are ever in Phoenix PM me and I will buy you dinner...I promise no politics or religion, just Zeppelin.

I've been to Phoenix a few times...we should get together the next time...perhaps argue over who's paying. :friends:

Japan's capital living in shadow of North Korea's belligerence

By Diana Magnay, CNN
updated 5:22 AM EDT, Wed April 10, 2013

130410051643-japan-missile-defense-story
Japan quietly deploys missile defense
  • Patriot anti-missile batteries appeared overnight this week in Japanese capital
  • They are deployed in case North Korea carries out its threat to test-fire a missile
  • Would take between five and 10 minutes for missile to reach skies over Tokyo
  • Japan has deployed these measures before during previous launches

Tokyo (CNN) -- Two PAC 3 Patriot anti-missile batteries currently occupy what is normally a baseball pitch in the leafy grounds of Japan's Ministry of Defense. They point northwest -- in the general direction of North Korea.

They were moved here to the heart of the Japanese capital in the early hours of Tuesday morning, alongside further batteries in two Tokyo suburbs.

And if the intelligence is right, and North Korea has moved one, maybe two mid-range missiles to its eastern coast, any test firing it might choose to conduct could conceivably have its trajectory over Japan.

Pyongyang is just 800 miles (1,287 kilometers) from Tokyo. It would take between five and 10 minutes for a missile to reach the skies over Tokyo. The concern here is not that North Korea has Japan or indeed any particular target in its sights, whatever its grandiose claims, it is that something might go wrong with a missile test.

"The North Koreans are not trying to attack Japan but to scare the Americans," says Narushige Michishita, director of security studies at the National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies (GRIPS) in Tokyo. ''The problem is the missile might malfunction and part of the debris might land on Japanese territory."

Residents whose homes overlook the Ministry of Defense are getting used to these military apparitions outside their bedroom windows. The Patriots have been deployed here three times since 2009, each time North Korea has announced it will launch what it claims is a satellite, but what most other countries call a missile.

"The situation is acute," Japan's defense minister told the unit commander on a visit to the site laid on for journalists. "Be ready to take prompt action whenever the order is made."

It is arguable that this deployment in the heart of the capital is partly for show -- to guarantee photographers an easy front page and thus reassure nervous Tokyoites that their safety is secured.

But the missile defense shield the Japanese have developed with the U.S. to safeguard this region is one of the world's most sophisticated. These latest deployments are about fine-tuning. If the previous three "satellite" launches are anything to go by, the Japanese government will have positioned Aegis Destroyers equipped with SM-3 missile interception systems in the Sea of Japan, also known as the East Sea.

It has been widely reported that has happened -- though the government won't confirm it, unwilling to "show its cards," a spokesman said, to the North Koreans.

These deployments should suffice, says Michishita. "Generally a sea-based system is more useful because it has a wider area it can defend. PAC 3 is more contained but together they are effective.''

But Kim Jong Un's belligerence has some Tokyo residents clearly worried.

Junro Kato came out in search of TV crews like us armed with a map showing how far North Korea's missiles can reach. "North Korea can hit Japan in five minutes," he said.

"If there are miscalculations between U.S. and North Korea, military conflict will happen."

For others though, the overriding emotion is astonishment -- astonishment at their puffed up neighbor's endless posturing.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/10/world/asia/japan-tokyo-north-korea-defenses/index.html?iid=article_sidebar

Little Dong better watch out as Obama may take away his army's 30 round magazines.

Completely OT for a minute -

This will sound pretty random, but last night while perusing the Tosh.0 blog I was made aware of the "Mr. Hands" bestiality incident.

I was so shocked I did some quick research and learned it happened just outside your town.

Of course I immediately thought of you, because it's listed as your location, and until last night the only reference I'd ever heard to the town.

Nothing more, really, just figured you'd know about it being right where you live.

Odd enough thing for your town to be known for. LOL.

Anyway, back on topic.

Steve, I saw that article you posted, as well - bringing in the Patriots!

The Patriot system is pretty heavy-duty protection, I imagine they are up to the task.

I don't want to be right on this.

I want it to be just run-of-the-mill, status quo sabre-rattling.

I just can't help thinking about my mom taking my dad to the hospital so many times it became old hat.

Then one day she took him and he didn't come back.

We were so used to the routine that when he actually died, we were pretty shocked.

I keep thinking, we're so used to the routine from these dictators, what if this guy really is batshit crazy?

Enough to actually touch off a calamitous exchange of missiles that leaves a lot of bodies on the ground - or in radioactive ashes.

No, I don't want to be right, but those thoughts keep rising to the top and I can't help but think, "Damn, that would suck" that we had become so jaded towards these precipitous actions that we're caught completely off-guard when they actually go through with it.

Type O, you don't have to worry about that happening. There is one section of the Pentagon whose sole purpose for the past 50+ years is to examine and calculate every possible scenario involving North Korea, with both conventional and nuclear warfare taken into account.

you dared to have a different opinion.

Sounds good Steve, just PM me and I can pick a place close to where you are staying. Dinner is on me :peace:

Sag, you and SteveA Jones meet for dinner, I'll pick up the tab.

You and Steve, ( there are others) mostly contribute well crafted and written posts.

Of course we'd all like a transcript of the evening's events, but I wouldn't expect details of private conversation.

I'm damn serious.

TypeO, on 12 Apr 2013 - 00:47, said:

Steve, I saw that article you posted, as well - bringing in the Patriots!

The Patriot system is pretty heavy-duty protection, I imagine they are up to the task.

jabe, on 12 Apr 2013 - 09:13, said:

Sag, you and SteveA Jones meet for dinner, I'll pick up the tab.

You and Steve, ( there are others) mostly contribute well crafted and written posts.

Of course we'd all like a transcript of the evening's events, but I wouldn't expect details of private conversation.

I'm damn serious.

@TypeO: As the article states, the Patriot anti-missile batteries are there mostly for show as Japan also has Aegis Destroyers equipped with SM-3 missile interception systems.

@jabe: Save your money, you may receive a dinner invitation from Aki Hoshino ("help to forget ex-girlfriend in Prague!").

Now the insane man child is advising nuclear war is "unavoidable" and threatening Japan. Question: If USA detects a medium range missile in N. Korea is being fueled for launch, do they take it out on the launch pad or allow it to be launched? I know there are missile interceptor technologies on station, but do they dare wait to attempt to stop the missile once already launched, or make it disappear before N. Korea can launch it?

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/391376/North-Korea-states-nuclear-war-is-unavoidable-as-it-declares-first-target-will-be-Japan

NORTH KOREA has warned Japan that Tokyo would be the first target in the event of a war on the Korean Peninsula, as it increased threats of an attack.
Published: Fri, April 12, 2013

391376_1.jpgJapan's Ground Self-Defense Force soldiers prepare its missile interceptor

In a commentary carried by the Korean Central News Agency (KCNA), the communist country lashed out at Tokyo's standing orders to destroy any missile heading toward Japan, threatening such actions will result in a nuclear attack against the island nation.

If Japan executes its threat to shoot down any North Korean missile, such a “provocative” intervention would see Tokyo — an enormous conurbation of 30 million people — “consumed in nuclear flames”, KCNA warned.

“Japan is always in the cross-hairs of our revolutionary army and if Japan makes a slightest move, the spark of war will touch Japan first,” the report added.

An official at Japan’s defence ministry said that the country “will take every possible measure to respond to any scenario”, while the US Secretary of State John Kerry warned that a North Korean missile launch would be a “huge mistake”.

“The rhetoric that we are hearing from North Korea is simply unacceptable by any standards,” he told a news conference in Seoul alongside South Korean Foreign Minister Yun Byung-Se.

“The United States, South Korea and the entire international community… are all united in the fact that North Korea will not be accepted as a nuclear power,” Kerry added.

Japan is always in the cross-hairs of our revolutionary army

KCNA

However, the North has declared it is "confident of final victory" against its enemies.

"The enemies should know that it is the era of the great Marshal Kim Jong Un, leader of the most powerful country and invincible great Paektusan nation," KCNA stated.

"The DPRK has won victories in confrontation with the U.S. in spirit and is waging an all-out action with it, with confidence in final victory."

The torrent of war cries is seen outside Pyongyang as an effort to raise fears and pressure Seoul and Washington into changing their North Korea policies, and to show the North Korean people that their young leader is strong enough to stand up to powerful foes.

South Korea fears Pyongyang could launch now launch multiple missiles after weeks of threats, according to local reports.

Observers believe a launch is most likely in the build-up to Monday’s anniversary of the birth of late founder Kim Il-Sung, for which celebrations are already well under way in Pyongyang.

The Korean Peninsula has "been reduced to the biggest nuclear hotspot in the world", the North said in more fiery rhetoric today, "making the outbreak of a nuclear war on this land unavoidable."

The reclusive state is dedicated to "defending the sovereignty and dignity of the country with its own strike mode and means," it said.

"No force on earth can block the just cause of the army and people of the DPRK," the chilling message concluded.

Now the insane man child is advising nuclear war is "unavoidable" and threatening Japan. Question: If USA detects a medium range missile in N. Korea is being fueled for launch, do they take it out on the launch pad or allow it to be launched? I know there are missile interceptor technologies on station, but do they dare wait to attempt to stop the missile once already launched, or make it disappear before N. Korea can launch it?

Bush, yes. He would stop it. Obama, no. He will let nations be vaporized and won't do anything unless he thinks he can use it to increase his celebrity.

Bush, yes. He would stop it. Obama, no. He will let nations be vaporized and won't do anything unless he thinks he can use it to increase his celebrity.

Well, you may be correct, however if N Korea attacked, Bush would have invaded Japan instead claiming they funded the whole thing.

Regardless of who's who and who would have done what, I'm a little more concerned about the innocent victims of any form of WMD attack. For some reason, I just don't think that there'll be much in the way of presidential political satisfaction achieved by anyone in any political party. Mind you, the way our politicians act today, I'm probably wrong about that. I'm sure they all have an acceptable loss of life speech tucked away in their desk drawers

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/391376/North-Korea-states-nuclear-war-is-unavoidable-as-it-declares-first-target-will-be-Japan

Allow it to be launched as they do not have the capability to deliver a nuclear payload and there are sufficient anti-missile defense systems in place to destroy an attack or one that veers off course. Meanwhile, full court press through diplomatic channels and further sanctions if necessary.

North Korea is not a military threat to anyone. They are not going to commit suicide as a country – they understand that if they really push, they would be turned into a thin layer of burning ash floating in the air. Furthermore, as I said before, it's a nation that must not be allowed to collapse; if it collapses it will cause an economic global meltdown that will take down South Korea, Japan, Taiwan, and Singapore almost immediately, and destroy Europe and North America in a matter of weeks.

North Korea is not a military threat to anyone. They are not going to commit suicide as a country they understand that if they really push, they would be turned into a thin layer of burning ash floating in the air. Furthermore, as I said before, it's a nation that must not be allowed to collapse; if it collapses it will cause an economic global meltdown that will take down South Korea, Japan, Taiwan, and Singapore almost immediately, and destroy Europe and North America in a matter of weeks.

Sez who?

And just think of the new skiing opportunities if North Korea is opened up to the world.

East Germany unlike North Korea had a working market place, industry in place, and people with savings, and an understanding of the modern world. North Korea has nothing. A collapsed North Korea would immediately overwhelm South Korea’s welfare state and plunge South Korea into insolvency almost as soon as the North crashed. Furthermore, international government pension plans who are heavily invested in South Korea would find themselves broke and it would cause a cascading of private sector and government pensions going broke one by one. The big one that you hear people like Ron Paul talk about all of the time, is North Korea…There is a reason why the United States, Europe, and China have spent the last decade making sure that North Korea has access to food and oil and it’s not for humanitarian reasons either, it’s for economic ones.

Archived