Jimmy's finest achievement

joeboy

Picking the perfect three people to work with. Not having too much ego to not want to work with people who were as good as he was.

Awesome producing, generally. Recording drums like no-one else.

Six amazing albums in as many years. Can't really think of anything comparable in rock history, except the Beatles.

Having. . . dignity. Maintaining some mystique. Doing things his way (no singles, no videos, no support acts, not much press etc).

Never being content to just stand still creatively, repeat a formula etc.

More specifically: In My Time Of Dying, When The Levee Breaks, Since I've Been Loving You, Kashmir.

And founding an orphanage, right?

My opinions for what they're worth:

1) Starting Led Zeppelin then staying on top as long as they did. That took savvy and determination as well as talent.

2) Getting clean and sober after so many years of substance abuse.

3) Maintaining his privacy and "mystique". In an age of cell phone cameras and celebrities who share details about their health and private lives, JP has chosen to maintain a zone of privacy that harkens back to an earlier era.

4) Unlike some other bands (who I won't name) the surviving members of Led Zeppelin, as a rule, do not discuss their internal conflicts with the media. I admire this.

My opinions for what they're worth:1) Starting Led Zeppelin then staying on top as long as they did. That took savvy and determination as well as talent.2) Getting clean and sober after so many years of substance abuse.3) Maintaining his privacy and "mystique". In an age of cell phone cameras and celebrities who share details about their health and private lives, JP has chosen to maintain a zone of privacy that harkens back to an earlier era.4) Unlike some other bands (who I won't name) the surviving members of Led Zeppelin, as a rule, do not discuss their internal conflicts with the media. I admire this.

Funny. "who" I won't name. Good one DD.

Jesus, it's hard to pick just one achievement, but the following have to be up there:

His determination of quality and methods used in producing all led zeppelin records while pushing the band always forward.

His production skills are vastly underrated...see my comments in the "Page as producer" discussion in the general forum.

Achilles Last Stand. The man said it himself.

As far as studio performances go, "Achilles Last Stand" is Jimmy Page's masterpiece.

Staying alive after all the drugs, booze and debauchery of his youth.

Probably most important of all when ya get right down to it...amazing how people like Page, Clapton, Richards, etc are still with us yet people like Hendrix, Moon, Joplin are not.

Recording drums like no-one else.

Through Jimmy Page's production skills (though admittedly aided and abetted by engineers like Glyn/Andy Johns, Eddie Kramer and Keith Harwood) he practically invented the Big Drum Sound, which is certainly not a negligable thing.

As for finest live performance achievement? My vote goes to the solo on "No Quarter", 28 July 1973.

I agree No Quarter from July 28th 1973 was Jimmy's and the bands best live performance of this song. But Dazed and Confused from July 27th 1973 shows the band at there peak. The whole band was so tight. I've never heard this repeated live again to this degree after MSG.

Archived