Let's Spend The Night Together - Groupie Docu

Pagesbow

I loved it! Some of the ladies did seem to be quite stuck in the past and have spent the past thirty years stagnating and longing for the glory days, but I think it was very much interesting to actually hear about the groupies firsthand.

It offered a perspective other than the one that we've been fed by the media - the groupie name has been sullied for so long, I'm commend these women for trying reclaiming it.

I enjoyed "I'm with the Band" for what it is; a lighthearted memoir of one woman's risque youth spent hanging out with musicians. I believe Pamela des Barres when she states she had a lot of fun. I just don't see how it was an empowering experience. Women have traded sex for access to powerful men since time began; nothing noteworthy about it. I have more respect for the female musicians of the day like Grace Slick and the Wilson sisters, female rock writers like Ellen Sandler or women like Janine Safer. They carved out roles for themselves in the rock music scene without using sex.

I haven't read "Let's Spend the Night Together" or Des Barres other books. Has she written about anything other than groupies or her own life?

Edited by Disco Duck

That is one sad indictment of lost youth and never being able to let go and move on, develop as a person. These ladies all come across as 15 year olds stuck in the bodies of 50 somethings. Sad, very sad.

The way Pamela walked along with her head on the shoulder of every groupie she met was very "15 year old girl" and reminded me of Penny Lane in "Almost Famous"

I loved it! Some of the ladies did seem to be quite stuck in the past and have spent the past thirty years stagnating and longing for the glory days, but I think it was very much interesting to actually hear about the groupies firsthand.

It offered a perspective other than the one that we've been fed by the media - the groupie name has been sullied for so long, I'm commend these women for trying reclaiming it.

Glad you enjoyed it. I guess the experience they had in the 70's seems to have defined their lives to some extent and the women at the end seemed the saddest - Plaster Caster and the women who still seems to be a groupie.

I enjoyed "I'm with the Band" for what it is; a lighthearted memoir of one woman's risque youth spent hanging out with musicians. I believe Pamela des Barres when she states she had a lot of fun. I just don't see how it was an empowering experience. Women have traded sex for access to powerful men since time began; nothing noteworthy about it. I have more respect for the female musicians of the day like Grace Slick and the Wilson sisters, female rock writers like Ellen Sandler or women like Janine Safer. They carved out roles for themselves in the rock music scene without using sex.

I haven't read "Let's Spend the Night Together" or Des Barres other books. Has she written about anything other than groupies or her own life?

I guess you are right to a degree. I'm not sure where I stand, on one hand I think maybe they are just trying to justify their promiscuous behavior by making it out to be something that was vital or inherrant to the music of that time and scene. On the other hand they used the men as much as they were used - Pamela has certainly made a career off the back of those times.

Ms. Des Barres can write; I highly recommend I'm With the Band, she's a funny and sensitive human being and an ardent music fan. I don't recall her claiming groupiedom as "empowering" or glorifying it. She writes about her whole life, including her childhood, being a mother and going though some challenges. I assume she would love to be noteworthy for something else, but you work with what you have I suppose.

Pamela Des Barres did an interview in Classic Rock , where she mentioned that she had attended a Dion concert with Robert Plant , a roadie came up to RP and said Dion would like to meet him Planty declined saying he had to shoot off to do his own show, but held out the roadies and said here's a tear , Pamela said they had both been blubbering during the song " Love came to me "

my favourite roadie song must be Rolling Stones - Star, Star

The way Pamela walked along with her head on the shoulder of every groupie she met was very "15 year old girl" and reminded me of Penny Lane in "Almost Famous"

Glad you enjoyed it. I guess the experience they had in the 70's seems to have defined their lives to some extent and the women at the end seemed the saddest - Plaster Caster and the women who still seems to be a groupie.

I guess you are right to a degree. I'm not sure where I stand, on one hand I think maybe they are just trying to justify their promiscuous behavior by making it out to be something that was vital or inherrant to the music of that time and scene. On the other hand they used the men as much as they were used - Pamela has certainly made a career off the back of those times.

I'm not into slut shaming. Ms. Des Barres and her cohorts had as much right to sleep around as their conquests. More right in fact since, unlike many of their conquests, they were single. I just don't see how having sex with rock stars is much of an accomplishment. I've never bought into the muse thing either. What's so great about being the inspiration for someone else's creativity?

I'm not into slut shaming. Ms. Des Barres and her cohorts had as much right to sleep around as their conquests. More right in fact since, unlike many of their conquests, they were single. I just don't see how having sex with rock stars is much of an accomplishment. I've never bought into the muse thing either. What's so great about being the inspiration for someone else's creativity?

Agree in so many ways. I have always been puzzled by the adulation some of these women seem to get from Zepp fans - especially young female fans. I certainly don't think badly of them but don't especially admire them either. Your own star doesn't shine brightest in reflected glory.

It was nice of you to post this, Pagesbow, but i can think of 1,000 better uses of an hour of my time than watching groupies reminisce.

You're right, of course. I was just watching in the hope of hearing any stories about Zeppelin.

McCartney is one of the rare examples in that era of taking his wife/family on tour. Although, had he been married in the early Beatle days, I doubt he would have done that. Wings was a totally different context and situation but admirable nonetheless.

Agree in so many ways. I have always been puzzled by the adulation some of these women seem to get from Zepp fans - especially young female fans. I certainly don't think badly of them but don't especially admire them either. Your own star doesn't shine brightest in reflected glory.

I suppose they were just glorified hangers on....today's equivalent would (In the U.K) be those young girls who hang around the pubs and clubs trying to snag a footballer and become a WAG. I doubt any of them are making the case that they are there because they love the game, etc. As a result, those women come across as more calculating, odious and vacuous than the groupies of the 70's.

With the 70's groupies, I buy that they were there initially because they were fans of the music, conversely, the wannabe WAGS come across as ruthless gold diggers who would sell their story for the right price.

Funny how the big female artists of the era (thinking of Debbie Harry, the women in Fleetwood Mac, Heart and ABBA) all seemed to be too busy being married to - or having relations with - people in their bands to get involved with the "male groupie scene" should one have existed :lol:

Edited by Pagesbow

McCartney is one of the rare examples in that era of taking his wife/family on tour. Although, had he been married in the early Beatle days, I doubt he would have done that. Wings was a totally different context and situation but admirable nonetheless...

I suppose they were just glorified hangers on....today's equivalent would (In the U.K) be those young girls who hang around the pubs and clubs trying to snag a footballer and become a WAG. I doubt any of them are making the case that they are there because they love the game, etc. As a result, those women come across as more calculating, odious and vacuous than the groupies of the 70's.

With the 70's groupies, I buy that they were there initially because they were fans of the music, conversely, the wannabe WAGS come across as ruthless gold diggers who would sell their story for the right price.

Funny how the big female artists of the era (thinking of Debbie Harry, the women in Fleetwood Mac, Heart and ABBA) all seemed to be too busy being married to - or having relations with - people in their bands to get involved with the "male groupie scene" should one have existed :lol:

From what I've read, groupiedom is an overwhelmingly female phenomenon. Supposedly there was a male groupie named Pleather at one time, but I don't which female artists he hung out with. I also don't know if there are male groupies who target gay or bisexual male artists.

Edited by Disco Duck

From what I've read, groupiedom is an overwhelmingly female phenomenon. Supposedly there was a male groupie named Pleather at one time, but I don't which female artists he hung out with. I also don't know if there are male groupies who target gay or bisexual male artists.

If you want to know about Pleather, there's an interview in Pamela Des Barres' "Let's Spend The Night Together" (the book). Girl groups you've never heard of, mostly. He said if he ever did a memoir he wanted to call it "I'm With The Girl Band", and Des Barres gave her blessing.

I heard an interview with Belinda Carlisle of The Go-Go's where she said that she had hooked up with male fans that she partied with backstage. Of course she was high on Charlie and drunk through most of those years back in the 80's. I wouldn't had an issue being "used" by her back then! ;)

I heard an interview with Belinda Carlisle of The Go-Go's where she said that she had hooked up with male fans that she partied with backstage. Of course she was high on Charlie and drunk through most of those years back in the 80's. I wouldn't had an issue being "used" by her back then! ;)

I was going to mention that....I think it was on this docu. I loved Belinda when I was a kid - now it's more of a secret love :shifty:

Does the world need another two hour documentary on rock groupies? I can sum it all up for you in five seconds:

I'm young, I'm "popular" - I'm older, I'm jaded - I'm old, it's half-forgotten

I know you're pretty hot on accuracy, correct dates, etc, therefore I feel I must point out that it was 1 hour 14 minutes and 19 seconds :lol: the world may still be waiting for that 2 hour documentary; unless one counts Almost Famous as a docu.

To defend the docu I posted, without it, I wouldn't have known that Peter Frampton has a small penis.