New Christian Dior Commercial Debuts (Whole Lotta Love)

SteveAJones

With Queen allowing Target or who the fuck ever to use recorder versions of their songs in back to school ads, and now Zeppelin with THIS!!! I really just don't care anymore. Maybe it's the hippie idealist in me which refuses to believe selling out "to the man" is in any way good. It's one thing if the artist was a one hit wonder or a pop star, makes sense on many levels, but when uber-rich rock icons pull this shit it makes me shake my head and think, why?

Don't like this at all, did not like the RnR use for Cadillac either. It's one thing to use the music in a movie, I agree with that as long as the song fits the context, but commercials? Hell no!!!

Sorry, do not like this at all.

Didn't Brian May once comment, "Well, it is a commercial art form."

Yuck. Do not like.

The editing of "WLL" drives me nuts.

This from the band that didn't want to release edited, shorter versions of their songs for singles or AM radio airplay?

a 60-second version of "WLL" is damn near sacrilege to me. The song is a sonic journey...and you have to stay on board to ride the entire ride.

At least the Cadillac commercials were cool. A brand name that is pure rock and roll. Dior? erm, not so much.

Really surprised the band signed off on this.

Cadillac originally wanted to use The Doors' classic song Break On Through for their Break Through campaign. When they couldn't secure approval from all of the surviving members they approached Led Zeppelin's management with an offer for the use of Rock And Roll. The Cadillac brand has prominent ties to the roots of rock music..Elvis Presley's pink Cadillac and the lyrics to Chuck Berry's No Money Down are just two examples, and three decades later a song titled Cadillac was released on Jimmy Page's second album with The Firm, Mean Business. The band deemed it was a good fit at the right time and the deal was done. Robert was positively beaming when he attended Cadillac's 100th Birthday Celebration at the GM World HQ in Detroit while on tour in Summer 2002, remarking later how proud he was to be associated with such an iconic American brand.

I could be wrong but wasn't one of the reasons behind Rock And Roll being used, and possibly now Whole Lotta Love, was that a request came from the Bonham estate for additional cash flow? So the song licensed has John Bonham songwriting credits, as that's where the money is in licensing a song versus performers royalties. I am sure if a request comes from that partner, that the remainder of the band is as accommodating as possible.

I could be wrong but wasn't one of the reasons behind Rock And Roll being used, and possibly now Whole Lotta Love, was that a request came from the Bonham estate for additional cash flow? So the song licensed has John Bonham songwriting credits, as that's where the money is in licensing a song versus performers royalties. I am sure if a request comes from that partner, that the remainder of the band is as accommodating as possible.

i don't know much about this but if what you say is true i can understand why they would allow this to be made. the 3 living members have been able to continue making money individually and together which they can use to support family, friends and they would be able to leave a lot behind for them .

if a good amount of this money goes towards Bonham's family mostly and allows them to make more than whatever they get from the usual sales of the albums and anything it could be helpful to them. i'm not sure how much was left to them when he passed away but even that was years ago.

Fuck that, let them take up a collection. How about Jimmy, JPJ, and Robert each give up a few million to the Bonham Estate? Like any of them would miss it, and if the Bonham Estate needs mo money they can get it like everyone else out there...work for it!

Regarding Brian May's comment, fuck him too, just another money hungry asshole as far as I am concerned. I love his music and I think he is one of the greatest guitar players, still, with his money is everything Gene Simmons policy I have little respect for him. He also really needs to get rid of that silly grey - white afro he has. The dude is looking more and more like Phil Spector every day.

With Queen allowing Target or who the fuck ever to use recorder versions of their songs in back to school ads, and now Zeppelin with THIS!!!

Queen allowed the use of one of their songs, cannot remember which at the moment, for a Lays Potato Chips commercial too. Target, Lays - come on, Sagittarius Rising, this is for Dior, things could be a lot worse, wouldn't you agree?

^ maybe they got free perfume samples, who knows?

As if they'd need them, they already ooze rock 'n' roll. You can't bottle that up and put a spritz cap on it! lol.

Looks some people are getting a little sweaty and worked up in this thread, maybe they'd be willing to throw the free samples this way...? -- Only teasing, kids! ;)

^oh, the French are stingy MLE! we should not expect any free samples from Dior coming this way... I am afraid Zep Heads are not considered their core target, marketing-Wise

TPDA (I like your pseudo by the way)

Zep Heads may not be their core target, but they could have at least had enough foresight to see the big stink that would arise in this thread.

(Thanks TPDA, coming from a stingy French man, I'm sure that means a lot. :wub:;):lol: )

Thanks MLE but to be honest, I like it for reasons which have certainly nothing to do with your intended meeting. M and L are two initials I care deeply about. E is for the French "Ensemble" (together). Happy to know you like French Perfums though! We need to increase exports, French trade balance is always in a deficit.

Thanks MLE but to be honest, I like it for reasons which have certainly nothing to do with your intended meeting. M and L are two initials I care deeply about. E is for the French "Ensemble" (together). Happy to know you like French Perfums though! We need to increase exports, French trade balance is always in a deficit.

How lovely! Well, I sure am glad I could bring 'M' and 'L' 'together' for your visual appreciation.

Yes, I am picky about perfume. There's a fine line between reeking of rosebuds, like an old, bitter woman who's given up on life and stinkin' like a cheap whore who can't seem to keep her legs closed. I feel Dior understands this line, lol.

Plant did a cola commercial? Somehow I missed this.

As for the Dior commercial, it doesn't work for me on several levels. First and foremost, I am not a Robert Pattison fan. He's handsome enough, but he doesn't do it for me in that man-woman way. Second, the commercial itself is very cheesy despite its pseudo-elegant trappings. Third, there is a mismatch between Whole Lotta Love and the mood the commercial wants to evoke. Whole Lotta Love is a down-and-dirty, carnal song. It's rumpled sheets and a sweaty couple laying exhausted in bed after a good roll in the hay. There is nothing ethereal about it.

I dropped in to see what was going on and found...this. I agree with DD; WLL is down and dirty, this commercial is about wealth, grooming, status. The song doesn't fit here at all. I can't think of a Zeppelin song that would go with this commercial. I like Robert Pattinson though. I think they should have used some type of jazz standard or something. Maybe "Fever." WLL totally doesn't work. What was the director thinking?

Queen allowed the use of one of their songs, cannot remember which at the moment, for a Lays Potato Chips commercial too. Target, Lays - come on, Sagittarius Rising, this is for Dior, things could be a lot worse, wouldn't you agree?

So true, they could have used WLL for the new Trojan condom & lube commercials!

So true, they could have used WLL for the new Trojan condom & lube commercials!

Haha, Yeah!...Hey, that's a swell idea. Well, at least that sounds like something the Zeppelin community may be more willing to get into!

Totally agree with you here, SagR. I also could never understand why, when Richard Cole got himself into financial difficulties, that the band members didn't each put some money in to help him out. It would have paid dividends because RC wouldn't have had to get involved with 'Hammer Of The Gods', which he did for a small amount of money.

Fuck that, let them take up a collection. How about Jimmy, JPJ, and Robert each give up a few million to the Bonham Estate? Like any of them would miss it, and if the Bonham Estate needs mo money they can get it like everyone else out there...work for it!

Regarding Brian May's comment, fuck him too, just another money hungry asshole as far as I am concerned. I love his music and I think he is one of the greatest guitar players, still, with his money is everything Gene Simmons policy I have little respect for him. He also really needs to get rid of that silly grey - white afro he has. The dude is looking more and more like Phil Spector every day.

Good post on all points!! The only LZ song that I could think of that might fit would be a snippet from Stairway - you know, 'buying a stairway to heaven'???

I dropped in to see what was going on and found...this. I agree with DD; WLL is down and dirty, this commercial is about wealth, grooming, status. The song doesn't fit here at all. I can't think of a Zeppelin song that would go with this commercial. I like Robert Pattinson though. I think they should have used some type of jazz standard or something. Maybe "Fever." WLL totally doesn't work. What was the director thinking?

Don't begrudge the boys from making a buck but prefer when they license their music for art ie carefully selected movies. Not pleased about use in commercials.

Dior is lovely....but this lady wears Chanel.

Don't begrudge the boys from making a buck but prefer when they license their music for art ie carefully selected movies. Not pleased about use in commercials.

Dior is lovely....but this lady wears Chanel.

Couldn't help but laugh. Speaking of Chanel, I could totally see Karl Lagerfeld jammin' to 'WLL'!

Archived