The 75' North American tour is my absolute favorite. If you could change the setlist, what song(s) would you omit/add?

Amstel

I would have omitted Dazed And Confused and Moby Dick.

Would have added some of these - In The Light, Ten Years Gone, Four Sticks, Ramble On, Gallows Pole, When The Levee Breaks (for whole tour), The Rover, The Wanton Song (for whole tour), Down By The Seaside, Custard Pie.

Edited by Amstel

I love the '75 tour as well. I would have omitted Moby Dick (not. D and C, though.) and added some of the songs mentioned above. Both No Quarter and D and C could have been downsized a bit.

Edited by Pagefan55

Downsize no quarter, moby dick, dazed and confused. Add, out on the tiles, when the levee breaks, the rover. Add to encore, the wanton song. This would have distanced them further from prog rock and been less of a target in punk rock and been more representative to the band they were on the records.

I think opening with the Wanton Song followed by the The Rover would have been a great way to begin show. alternate Trampled with an oldie like Levee and switch out Stairway for Ten Years Gone. Although the way people clamor for Stairway they could never have done that and obviously didn't.

No Quarter and Dazed were the centerpieces of the show and you cannot downsize them or they loose their significance as the juggernauts they are. The show is literally built around those pieces and their length provides maximum effect. The drum solo is simply a mechanism for the others to take a break and with out it the overall length of the show would be shortened. For some the shorter running time would suffice but for me the more time I can spend with Zeppelin the better.

I think opening with the Wanton Song followed by the The Rover would have been a great way to begin show.

Custard Pie would have been a great choice as well.

Edited by Amstel

I absolutely love the 1975 American Tour. Dazed was crazy! I just think they should have used more material from the new album. Songs like The Rover, The Wanton Song, Ten Years Gone are the first few that come to mind. And maybe incorporate some material they had never done before on stage. They should have kept When The Levee Breaks on the set. That song is so cool and got such a reaction from the audience, I think playing it early on the concerts would have set the tone for the rest of the night.

Its not silly to want to change something you really liked if those changes cause you to like it even better. BTW I am not really advocating change as much as I am looking to suggest possible diversity in the set list

Edited by juxtiphi

Shorter Dazed? I say no! Shorter No Quarter? No way!!!!

I am so happy that we have these historical records of these earth shattering musicians jamming and creating together, once in a lifetime moments never to be repeated. Priceless.

If I wanted note for note versions, I'd go see Rush or Yes.

Its not silly to want to change something you really liked if those changes cause you to like it even better. BTW I am not really advocating change as much as I am looking to suggest possible diversity in the set list

Yeah shure, no problem, hope I wasn't insulting! I understood that about diversity, but still Dazed, No quarter and Moby dick were essential, maybe they should have done four hour gigs hehe!

Am I the only one that feels, saying that 75 is your favourite tour and than asking what you would change about it, is a bit silly?!

"Silly?" Your delusional. BTW, this is a hypothetical question.

And yes, I wish they didn't play Dazed and Confused on that tour because I heard it numerous times before. I would have liked to have had the opportunity to hear them perform Down By The Seaside, Custard Pie, In The Light, The Rover, and many of the other songs that they never performed live! So, what's wrong with that? I never said cut the list down, or shorten it from 3+ hours to less than 3!

Edited by Amstel

Shure I'm delusional, that's why I want Dazed and confused! I hope you a are shure too! Are you?!

Live improvisation was some of the most important essence of the band and while it's true Dazed didn't develop much from 73 on, it was still a centerpiece and some of the songs you mention, wuld not be much different live and while that is not particulary important, I think improvisation was still such an essential part, it was better this way, plus stuff like The rover and Seaside, would be a problem for Plant in 1975!

I imagine this has been discussed before but what kept them from playing some of the tunes from PG live i.e. ... all of The Rover, Custard Pie, HOTH, etc.?

Was there some fear that too much change might ruin the good thing they had going?

Were there any band members pushing for some of these other songs to be played? I've always been curious of the setlist decisions/conversations amongst the band...

Plus as much as the press was ignorant to LZ was there any mention of these songs not getting played? (Cause i know we loved the songs on record)

Finally any bandmember commentary on why these songs weren't played? ... i do know some songs were difficult to reproduce with all the studio layering etc.

The band said, they loved too play some of the early songs so much, that the set list just got longer and longer and they didn't want to throw much old stuff out and so they couldn't introduce some of the new stuff!

They still did that with some of the stuff, but probably mostly do to Plant's vocal problems! And they still played quite a lot of Graffiti, as far as the stuff that was actually recorded for Graffiti goes!

Edited by Matjaz1

I always thought opening with Rock and Roll (again) was a non progression. It sequenced well into "Sick again" I suppose but as they had opened with this since the Japan tour in 1972, it was very dated and needed refreshing. Would have been very cool to open with Levee?

I always thought opening with Rock and Roll (again) was a non progression. It sequenced well into "Sick again" I suppose but as they had opened with this since the Japan tour in 1972, it was very dated and needed refreshing. Would have been very cool to open with Levee?

100% agree on Rock and Roll, should have been an encore at most, and OPENING with it? Just no, especially with Robert's flu voice, it's just not very good, I'd love the Rover or something for a opener

I have listened to many shows from 75 and I have to say that there are plenty moments of sheer brilliance and genius during the No Quarters and Dazed they played. So much stuff pulled from the depths of their imaginations, many times it seems like Page and Bonham are in a mad race trying to out speed the other! Jimmy plays like a mad man for most of Dazed every time with some exceptions. Bonham's changing rhythms are mental!!!! The only thing I miss is his huge drum avalanche at the end of Dazed like he was doing during the 73 European tour Although there may be a couple good rolls in 75 mostly after rolling over the audience for a half hour at the end of Dazed he would pound you into the ground with the bass drum BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BB BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM. Nobody has a bass drum as big as John Henry Bonham's! The acoustic section at the Earls Court Shows were beautiful! Jimmy And Jones were great together.

I consider myself a very very lucky person to have been introduced to collecting boots at the record shows of the past. I consider it a great luxury to have these recordings!! I am so glad to have a glimpse of what I missed.

The 1975 North American Tour was schizophrenic.

You have the early, concise pre-Dazed and Confused part of the tour. "The Wanton Song" and even "When the Levee Breaks" are in the setlist, and "How Many More Times" is used for Jimmy's bow showcase. "No Quarter" and "Moby Dick" are kept to reasonable lengths...in fact, the Chicago shows fit on only 2 cds, which is a very rare thing for a Zeppelin concert to do.

Then, once Jimmy's finger heals, "Dazed" is added and the NQs and Moby Dicks get longer, as does the WLL/Black Dog encore, with the band adding the "Crunge" bits and theremin duels. SIBLY is played a few times. The concerts now start to run closer to three hours and more.

The Earls Court shows in May added yet another wrinkle, with the addition of the acoustic sets, which I love and wished we had gotten in the U.S. that year.

I agree that "Rock and Roll" sounds sluggish and Robert's flu-voice didn't help. Either "Wanton Song" or "Custard Pie" would have been great to begin the concert...both songs feature the raspy, scratchy Plant voice on the record, so his flu-voice would have fit in nicely on these songs and given him time to warm up. I know people loved the long D & Cs but on multi-date runs like at the Forum, it would have been nice to alternate D & C with HMMT. I remember being disappointed they didn't play more songs from "Physical Graffiti". Granted, they might not have been ready equipment-wise to play "In the Light" or "Ten Years Gone", but there are several others they could have given a go at: "The Rover" being an obvious example.

Hi,

Also one of my favourite tours ( I was lucky enough to see them twice at Earls Court, not the USA I know but then I live in the UK), would I change anything I am not a great fan of extended versions of Moby Dick, so could shorten that, maybe D&C as well. No Quarter I love, some great versions during 75. What would I add, always liked The Rover, so maybe that, otherwise I would leave everything as it was.

Andy

Edited by andyk