Where's the chorus?

Many years ago I had a conversation with a friend of mine who was a huge Zep fan. He was just getting me into the band and after borrowing his albums I mentioned how they weren't exactly a 'chorus band'. He got quite indignant and said 'of course they have chorus's in their songs!' but when I asked him to name those that did he actually quietened down after 3 or 4. I can think of 'whole lotta love' 'hey hey what can I do' 'communication breakdown' 'ramble on' and 'living loving maid'. Any thoughts on others?

I'm not knocking the lack of a chorus by the way, it's just an 'off the top of my head' kind of question.

well straight off the top of my head

good times bad times

commiunication breakdown

your time is gonna come

what is and what should never be

thank you

tangerine

there are loads, you're not thinking hard enough!

Whole Lotta Love has a chorus as well.

What's interesting about the newly (partlally) released Whole Lotta Love ( on the recent BBC material and the Zep trailer) is that it actually doesn't have a chorus at that point.. it's an amazing snapshot of a work in progress - but at that point, without a chorus: that comes later.

Correct.

Yeah the 'chorus' usually is the riff...they certainly don't have many "traditional" chorusses.

From the Led Zeppelin 2 Wikipedia entry:

Led Zeppelin II has been cited by music writers as a blueprint for heavy metal bands that followed it.[9][32] Blues-derived songs like "Whole Lotta Love", "Heartbreaker", "The Lemon Song", "Moby Dick", and "Bring It On Home" have been seen as representing standards of the genre, where the guitar-based riff (rather than vocal chorus or verses) defines the song and provides the key hook.[5] Such arrangements and emphasis were at the time atypical in popular music.[9]

That is a very interesting notion, that the riff is the main chorus and theme of a song, I agree. Even with zeps contemporaries, the who, Pete seemed to write catchy lyrics, where the lyrics are as much of a force as the music, or more. With plant, I think he was putting his own angle on the songs, with more of a singers approach. I don't think he was concerned with any kind of definite narrative, or complete picture. I think he was mostly concerned with a good vocal on any particular song and synching up with such a great band. Also, ya can't really decipher all of his lyrics either...where I think that's almost an unwritten rule for record companies concerned with top 40 radio, catchy lyrics.

• 2 months later...

Can't believe nobody's mentioned the two most obvious "chorus" songs All My Love and Out On The Tiles.

I believe "Livin' Lovin Maid (She's Just A Woman) is more obvious than the two aforementioned above.

Archived