Proposal to Led Zeppelin and their Management

DBJ

Everybody is looking for Zeppelin to tour, but even if they decide to do so there are a lot of obstacles to over come to get there, especially in the near term.

Robert Plant appears to be pretty busy for at least through summer, it looks like it might be awhile before they can even plan anything.

I therefore propose the following stopgap measure:

Hold one more one off concert at perhaps Madison Square Gardens. Film that show and broadcast it Live via satellite to Movie theaters equipped with digital movie projection equipment. You could charge like $50 bucks to people who see the show via theaters and perhaps the theater could offer merchandise.

This will allow them to reach an enormous fan base with very little commitment in terms of time.

This would also Put Led Zeppelin on the cutting edge of media. They can continue their pioneering heritage.

This would be a very high profile historical event, Eclipsing Elvis' Aloha From Hawaii Via Satellite.

Led Zeppelin Likes to set records: If the 20 million people who signed up for tickets went to see this in theaters and paid $50. That would be $1 Billion dollars in sales in 1 day not to mention merchandise.

Plus, getting people to go to their local movie theater in far less of a commitment than making arrangements to visit another country. The number could exceed 20 million.

Led Zeppelin would not only be making music history, they would make box office movie history as well. How many movies break $1 billion in one day

The concert could start with a 30 minute lag time, and in the middle the band could take a 30 minute intermission break , then return to the stage to finish the show. The theaters could omit the intermission, or shorten it, and finish out the show live. This way the concert could be longer than o2.

This could pioneer and open up a whole new way of promoting concerts. I think that seeing the show in a theater is almost as good as seeing them live .

If the concert is a success they could hold an encore viewing the following week for like $25 bucks. ( I personally would go twice.)

This could be done to keep the momentum going until they have time to commit to a proper tour.

IF this is successful perhaps they could do this often. Imagine instead of getting to see them the one time they come to your town (if they come to your town). Or instead of the hassle of having to following them around, you could just see this weeks show at your local theater.

besides aren't all this big new fancy theaters looking for ways to increase their revenue.

Everybody is looking for Zeppelin to tour, but even if they decide to do so there are a lot of obstacles to over come to get there, especially in the near term..........

That is a good idea, but I would choose San Francisco as it was where they "took off" according to Page. That and that is where I am from. But MSG would be a good second choice. ;)

1. I really don´t think that the band is interested in money. They should have enough of it.

2. I think it was in 2003 when Jimmy Page said in an interview, that it would be most rediculous for a band to go on tour with songs, which are 40 years old.

Jimmy Page said in 2006 that he has some new songs, and that he wants to make a record, BUT he didn´t say, he wants this to be a new Led Zeppelin record.

Perhaps he plays these songs to the other band members and maybe they like them, and are inspired enough by them to give them a try.

But i dont think that they will do another show like O2, which consists of old stuff. Robert Plant may have enjoyed the gig, but he is, so it seems to me, always looking for music that is challenging from an artistically point of view.

Nevertheless i would enjoy any concert they play and i hope, that if they once go on tour, also Germany and the other countries in Europe and not only the USA will have a chance to see them on stage.

the problem: too many bootlegs

when you put this material in the hands of thousands of movie people, you know a few of them are going to circulate it, even after the showing of the concert.

this isn't any different from bootleggers in the usual movie business, but I'm sure they don't want to enter this world of bootlegging either.

There are always new charity possibilities. Zep passed up a lot of recent events like Live8 and Live Earth. This time around they could organize the charity directly. I really think this is the direction they should go. Jimmy is into the charity thing fulltime these days, and the O2 show as all about charitywork. It deflects all criticism of being a money grab and gives them an ancillary motivation to roll out the old numbers again.

I had the opportunity to spend 15 minutes with Robert the morning after the first night of his first tour with strange sensation in 2001. Among topics I brought up, was my idea to take one of the zeppelin concerts on film to madison square garden, put it on a MASSIVE screen, and play it through a LOUD concert sound system....then you could take that idea, and tour it through the USA, having it done at other places like the forum in los angeles etc.

all to which Robert was just kind of shaking his head ever so slightly no, he wasn't keen on the idea.

however, I was kind of stupid, cause the tour I mentioned to use was 1977. Afterwards I

remembered how Robert is not a big fan of that tour.

If you're gonna play zeppelin films, why do the 02? it seems kind of silly when you could do it with vintage zeppelin like I suggested.

I still think it's a great idea.....20,000 roaring fans, a huge screen, and a deafening sound system.

This could pioneer and open up a whole new way of promoting concerts. I think that seeing the show in a theater is almost as good as seeing them live .

Why would anyone pay $50.00 to see 3/4 of Led Zeppelin attempt their greatest hits on a movie screen when for less than $25.00 they can take home a copy of TSRTS on dvd

and own it forever?

Setting aside for a moment what an entirely ridiculous idea I find this all to be, wouldn't it be even easier to simply screen the show that was done at the 02?

Why would anyone pay $50.00 to see 3/4 of Led Zeppelin attempt their greatest hits on a movie screen when for less than $25.00 they can take home a copy of TSRTS on dvd

and own it forever?

Why would 20,000,000 people sign up to pay a couple of thousand dollars to see 3/4 of led zeppelin live in London and go through all the trouble of making an international trip?

Because they're Led Zeppelin

With that same logic why would anyone want to see them at all?

I've seen TSRTS a gazillion times and I haven't even upgraded yet to the new release. I've seen DVD a gazillion times.

The fact is in a lot of ways, the movie theater is very close to being as good as the real thing.

For the multitude of people who ended with a poor seat, the movie theater might be better.

I bet although the sound wouldn't be quit as loud, it would be better and more uniform.

How many people have complained about the sound of the o2.

It would be cheaper for the fan

It would be more convenient and less hassle, Even if a concert where held in your own town.

It would be innovative .

Setting aside for a moment what an entirely ridiculous idea I find this all to be, wouldn't it be even easier to simply screen the show that was done at the 02?

by that same logic wouldn't the original The Song Remains The Same movie project also have been a ridiculous idea. (and with that mentality never have been made)

After all this is a 21st century spin on their original concept.

They could use the o2 gig, but that wouldn't be innovative. I presume that o2 will make it to DVD, and like No Quarter and Rush Live in Rio before it, it will probably be shown in theaters too.

But if you want 20 million people to show up for one day on a specific day, it need to be live.

One of the things that makes Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin aside from their music is showing off their clout.

I don't think they had PPV in 1975, They barely had cable!

Closed circuit TV was around long before Zeppelin even formed and was used to broadcast sporting events quite regularly such as prize fights and Indy 500 races into movie theaters.

http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/C/htmlC/...losedcircui.htm

Many of today's CCTV systems were first implemented in the postwar years. For example, pay-per-view closed circuit sports broadcasts can be traced back to a postwar Hollywood invention known as "theater television," a CCTV system used for viewing sports in movie theaters that became a lucrative source of ancillary revenue for boxing promoters in the fifties, sixties, and seventies. With the growth of cable television and satellite delivery systems CCTV telecasts have become an integral part of the business of sports today, not only in the boxing industry but also in horseracing, baseball, and golf.

Closed circuit TV was around long before Zeppelin even formed and was used to broadcast sporting events quite regularly such as prize fights and Indy 500 races into movie theaters.

http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/C/htmlC/...losedcircui.htm

Many of today's CCTV systems were first implemented in the postwar years. For example, pay-per-view closed circuit sports broadcasts can be traced back to a postwar Hollywood invention known as "theater television," a CCTV system used for viewing sports in movie theaters that became a lucrative source of ancillary revenue for boxing promoters in the fifties, sixties, and seventies. With the growth of cable television and satellite delivery systems CCTV telecasts have become an integral part of the business of sports today, not only in the boxing industry but also in horseracing, baseball, and golf.

My mistake, I was assuming he was talking about in home PPV. Although available in very limited markets in the mid to late 1970's ( as in one market) the first widely successful PPV event for in home viewing was the 1981 Sugar Ray Leonard Prize Fight.

From your article I did see where it said theaters were used to broadcast live sports performance via CCTV. Kind of a forerunner to Television.

Archived