2014-15 NBA Thread....

paul carruthers

As my Lakers are out and I am constitutionally unable to cheer for the carpet-bagging Clippers, I am giving my support and playoff-beard power to your Golden St. Warriors.

Man, when's the last time the Warriors had a player like Curry? Sleepy Floyd? Rick Barry? Or, as Bill Simmons mentioned the other night, maybe we should compare Curry to Pistol Pete Maravich.

It is amusing to go back to the 2009 Draft and hear all the boos when Golden St. picks Curry. Bet those people aren't booing now. Let us take a look at the top draft picks of 2009...

1. Clippers draft Blake Griffin. No shock or surprise there. Griffin has turned into a good player for the Clippers.

2. Memphis picks Hasheem Thabeet, now residing in the D-League after going thru several NBA teams to no effect. Definitely a bust pick for the Grizzlies.

3. Oklahoma drafts James Harden third. There's no question about the pick as Harden is a monster player. Instead one has to question OKC letting Harden go...maybe they should have kept Harden and traded Westbrook away.

4. Sacramento picks Tyreke Evans. Are the Kings in the playoffs? Didn't think so...bet Sacramento wishes they had picked Curry.

5. & 6. And now we come to the dumbest team in the draft...Minnesota. Even before we knew how great Curry would become, what Minnesota did in the 2009 draft made no sense. Drafting the absurdly overrated and over-hyped Ricky Rubio at #5 and Jonny Flynn at #6. Both guards combined wouldn't equal even one-half of a player of Curry's caliber. Flynn isn't even in the NBA anymore...he's playing in Italy...and Rubio can't hit 40% of his shots. BUSTS with a capital'B'. Minnesota were the major dunces of the 2009 draft.

7. Golden St. reaps the benefit of Minnesota's stupidity and drafts Curry. What I don't get are all the boos from the crowd...who did they want the Warriors to draft? If you look at all the players drafted after Curry, there isn't one stud among them. Jordan Hill? DeMar DeRozan? Brandon Jennings? Tyler Hansbrough? Nope, Curry beats them all by a mile.

Great post Strider. I live in Sacramento, and boy you shoulda heard the people around here when the kings selected Tyreke Evans. You woulda thought Jesus himself came down and threw on a king's jersey. Bleh!

Lots of Warriors fans felt like Monta Ellis was the answer as opposed to Curry. I never had much faith in Ellis, and i really liked Curry since day one, but i never thought he'd become pretty much the face of the league.

Regardless, I am glad that at least one of my Oakland teams are quite prepared to make an epic post-season run. So far the A's have been a real Jekyll and Hyde team, and the Raiders are...gestating. We shall see!

As my Lakers are out and I am constitutionally unable to cheer for the carpet-bagging Clippers, I am giving my support and playoff-beard power to your Golden St. Warriors.

Man, when's the last time the Warriors had a player like Curry? Sleepy Floyd? Rick Barry? Or, as Bill Simmons mentioned the other night, maybe we should compare Curry to Pistol Pete Maravich.

It is amusing to go back to the 2009 Draft and hear all the boos when Golden St. picks Curry. Bet those people aren't booing now. Let us take a look at the top draft picks of 2009...

1. Clippers draft Blake Griffin. No shock or surprise there. Griffin has turned into a good player for the Clippers.

2. Memphis picks Hasheem Thabeet, now residing in the D-League after going thru several NBA teams to no effect. Definitely a bust pick for the Grizzlies.

3. Oklahoma drafts James Harden third. There's no question about the pick as Harden is a monster player. Instead one has to question OKC letting Harden go...maybe they should have kept Harden and traded Westbrook away.

4. Sacramento picks Tyreke Evans. Are the Kings in the playoffs? Didn't think so...bet Sacramento wishes they had picked Curry.

5. & 6. And now we come to the dumbest team in the draft...Minnesota. Even before we knew how great Curry would become, what Minnesota did in the 2009 draft made no sense. Drafting the absurdly overrated and over-hyped Ricky Rubio at #5 and Jonny Flynn at #6. Both guards combined wouldn't equal even one-half of a player of Curry's caliber. Flynn isn't even in the NBA anymore...he's playing in Italy...and Rubio can't hit 40% of his shots. BUSTS with a capital'B'. Minnesota were the major dunces of the 2009 draft.

7. Golden St. reaps the benefit of Minnesota's stupidity and drafts Curry. What I don't get are all the boos from the crowd...who did they want the Warriors to draft? If you look at all the players drafted after Curry, there isn't one stud among them. Jordan Hill? DeMar DeRozan? Brandon Jennings? Tyler Hansbrough? Nope, Curry beats them all by a mile.

I am with the Clippers but my second choice are the Warriors who I have always liked. My favorite two players of all time are Rick Barry and Jerry West. Then Ernie D.

"The Spurs are too old!" LOL!

Last night's game was a perfect illustration of why I don't take the Clippers seriously as a championship contender and why I never count out San Antonio.

The Clippers can't make their free throws and Blake Griffin is a good but not yet great player prone to lapses in Crunch-Time. Like coughing up the ball when the Clippers had a two-point lead and mere seconds left in the game. The game doesn't go into OT if Blake maintains his composure.

The game also doesn't go into OT if DeBrickasaurus Jordan makes at least half of his free throws. When San Antonio went into Hack-a-Jordan mode in the 4th quarter, the game slowed to a crawl and got ugly. But you can't blame Popovitch for using the tactic, for it worked...Jordan was something like 5-15 from the stripe in the 4th quarter.

And there was The Big Fundamental, Tim Duncan, hitting drop-step bank-shots off the glass time and time again. He just keeps rolling along like Old Man River(walk).

What has to really irk the Clippers about losing last night is that they didn't take advantage of poor games by Tony Parker and Manu Ginobli. Parker and Ginobli weren't even in the game for the OT...Parker because he was injured and Ginobli because he fouled out.

Parker's injury situation bears watching but for now, it appears the Spurs are in the driver's seat.

What an epic comeback from the Warriors. Down 20 at the start of the 4th and then they turned it on. Curry with the unbelievable 3 pointer to tie it and send it into overtime. Magnificent! But boy is Anthony Davis a monster.

Dubs up 3-0.

Wow! What a comeback for the Warriors! Curry paid the price for that three but I'm so glad there was no call, it would have given NO a chance to draw up a play. Warriors doubters have to take GS seriously now!

I don't see NO recovering from that. A punch to gut like that certainly has to knock the wind right out of them. If the Dubs can secure the series tomorrow, then they potentially have a week off to rest.

I don't see NO recovering from that. A punch to gut like that certainly has to knock the wind right out of them. If the Dubs can secure the series tomorrow, then they potentially have a week off to rest.

You were right!

:bagoverhead: Every year. Every team.

Dear footy fans,

Remember when I said on the eve of the Raps - Wiz series to switch channels from the Chelsea(?) / ManU game and watch this bball match-up? I'm sorry.

Even if your team is shitty looking-up-to-see-the-bottom, in whatever lowest division, never mind top division juggernauts - I apologize.

I got caught up in the hype, expecting results different from those of all the others for literally every Toronto sports team in the past DECADES.

Seeking new city/sport suggestions...

Dear footy fans,

Remember when I said on the eve of the Raps - Wiz series to switch channels from the Chelsea(?) / ManU game and watch this bball match-up? I'm sorry.

Even if your team is shitty looking-up-to-see-the-bottom, in whatever lowest division, never mind top division juggernauts - I apologize.

I got caught up in the hype, expecting results different from those of all the others for literally every Toronto sports team in the past DECADES.

Dear footy fans,

The Raptors had a promising start. If you play good for a month in the East you likely get in. But then you get exposed as the Raptors were as pretenders. They need two impact players.

How about the Clippers? Answered the bell. Took down the Spurs in their own yard. I will be shocked if they do not win the next game. But I am shocked how they did it. Rivers son being such an influence? CP did what he had to and had I believe 34. Blake has to grow some brains. Not sure if its possible for a Neanderthal like him to do it? But he better be damn good from here on out. Golden St likely does not want to draw the Clippers. I believe if the Clippers and Memphis win then they would get Houston? Clippers have had some trouble with Memphis. I believe they are better than Memphis and must beat them. But the Spurs are not dead. I know this. Clippers have a big shot now to put them on the brink

The Raptors had a promising start. If you play good for a month in the East you likely get in. But then you get exposed as the Raptors were as pretenders. They need two impact players.

How about the Clippers? Answered the bell. Took down the Spurs in their own yard. I will be shocked if they do not win the next game. But I am shocked how they did it. Rivers son being such an influence? CP did what he had to and had I believe 34. Blake has to grow some brains. Not sure if its possible for a Neanderthal like him to do it? But he better be damn good from here on out. Golden St likely does not want to draw the Clippers. I believe if the Clippers and Memphis win then they would get Houston? Clippers have had some trouble with Memphis. I believe they are better than Memphis and must beat them. But the Spurs are not dead. I know this. Clippers have a big shot now to put them on the brink

Uuuugh don't remind me, Rick. And to think I drank the Coolaid about the Raps this year, too. Thing is, we've got TWO all-stars already on the team - DeRozan and Lowry, it's just they're not top tier players, just the best on a mediocre team. We wasted two years with this treadmill team, prolonging the inevitably necessary rebuild, but missing out on a key draft - this year's - in the process. In the meantime, MLSE put asses in seats, filled the coffers, and rolled out a shiny "We The North" campaign which fooled many into thinking there was substance to the hype.

Of course, the playoffs exposed everyone from the coaching, to the all-stars, to the bench...

I hope we can pry Thibs from the Bulls. I hear he may get canned after this season...

Don't count the Spurs out just yet, though I am surprised that the Clips pulled out a win in San Antonio...

West is the best yest again. The champ will come from there, too. Who will it be?

I'm not going to bury Cleveland just yet, but Love's injury does open up the East a little. Maybe even give hope to Les Boulez.

Sorry, Patrycja, that Toronto let you down again. That's the heartbreak that comes with following sports. Maybe the Blue Jays can carry the Toronto flag better.

Uuuugh don't remind me, Rick. And to think I drank the Coolaid about the Raps this year, too. Thing is, we've got TWO all-stars already on the team - DeRozan and Lowry, it's just they're not top tier players, just the best on a mediocre team. We wasted two years with this treadmill team, prolonging the inevitably necessary rebuild, but missing out on a key draft - this year's - in the process. In the meantime, MLSE put asses in seats, filled the coffers, and rolled out a shiny "We The North" campaign which fooled many into thinking there was substance to the hype.

Of course, the playoffs exposed everyone from the coaching, to the all-stars, to the bench...

I hope we can pry Thibs from the Bulls. I hear he may get canned after this season...

Don't count the Spurs out just yet, though I am surprised that the Clips pulled out a win in San Antonio...

West is the best yest again. The champ will come from there, too. Who will it be?

I am not so sure about that Pat. Cleveland seems to have better chemistry without Love. Lebron and Irving can take down any team. I still say Clippers and Warriors go 7 and the winner of that plays Cleveland and it goes 7. Strider has no comment on the Clippers. He had expected to come on here today and rub my nose in their demise. NOT.

Raptors took a step at least. And they are at least not the money burning NY Dicks. Paying that overpaid ex drummer for the Dead Heads that likely is till smokin the gonge rather than putting a team together. Yeah, the overated, overpaid and overmedicated Phil Jackwagon

I am not so sure about that Pat. Cleveland seems to have better chemistry without Love. Lebron and Irving can take down any team. I still say Clippers and Warriors go 7 and the winner of that plays Cleveland and it goes 7. Strider has no comment on the Clippers. He had expected to come on here today and rub my nose in their demise. NOT.

Cleveland DOES NOT have better chemistry without Kevin Love. If you read the article Paul posted, the stats show you're wrong.

I do not have a comment about the Clippers because:

A) The series isn't over...it's merely tied 2-2, which is where you expect a series to be after both teams have played two home games. The series is playing to form, that's all.

B ) I have no emotional investment in this series, with either team. All my apples are with Golden State.

C) Though the Clippers won yesterday, I am not convinced momentum has irrevocably swung the Clippers way. I am certainly not convinced Doc Rivers' son is going to have another game like that. This smells like Ty Lue all over again.

D) All of the above.

Archived