Jack White joined by Robert Plant in Argentina

FunkyPhantom

It sounded like, The Jack White Experiment!?

Yeah, perhaps. My right ear is a bit plugged, but it doesn't help that the audio for these youtube festival uploads are so compressed. The same goes for the festivals they show on television. I get that they don't want any unforeseen audio peaks but in this day and age, i expect them to do better.

Maybe he just plain doesn 't feel like playing with Jimmy...really where was Jimmy during all these festivals ...no one has him tied up and held captive. Jack White invited Robert to do that. What is hard to understand ? I love what Jimmy has done but their collaborative time is over.

Maybe he just plain doesn 't feel like playing with Jimmy...really where was Jimmy during all these festivals ...no one has him tied up and held captive. Jack White invited Robert to do that. What is hard to understand ? I love what Jimmy has done but their collaborative time is over.

I don't know what bothers me about this exactly and i am no "Zep must reform" groupie

but Plant will sing one of Zep's best known covers with a dark haired wunderkid playing a telecaster?

but not a silver haired wunderkid playing a ... you know where this goes. It's a lack of respect that grates.

I don't know what bothers me about this exactly and i am no "Zep must reform" groupie

but Plant will sing one of Zep's best known covers with a dark haired wunderkid playing a telecaster?

but not a silver haired wunderkid playing a ... you know where this goes. It's a lack of respect that grates.

Man I don't know why you project these perceived slights from. Lack of respect how? Robert has categorically stated that he does not want to be part of a reformed Zep project. He was open to doing new songs with Jimmy, possibly acoustic if I recall, but Page apparently shot it down. Jimmy said himself he won't be 'match fit' to play until the end of the year! I mean, play what? When? We've heard this story before, and it's just so trite.

Now when Robert is on tour promoting his new album with the Sensational Space Shifters and sprinkles the set with Zep songs, albeit reworked, or plays ONE SONG with Jack White, somehow it's disrespectful to Page? When Jonesy's played Zep tunes live was that a diss to Page, too? If Jimmy wants to play, then he should PLAY. Each guy has a right to perform Zep songs with whomever they choose, and have done so without the other two, including Page.

A final point, Robert IS doing something musically, Page WILL be... kind of speaks volumes itself.

if it really "grates" I'd work on letting it go. I do not understand the lack of respect comment and ....really Page's new musical ideas are always "coming soon..." Do u know anything about jack white as a guitarist? Very talented. Should Plant be upset because he wasn't in It Might Get Loud with the Edge, page and White???? Jimmy is too busy with superfluous remasters and soundtracks to 40 year old movies to even put himself on a stage or be open to robert's proposed collaboration. At this point after the remasters i am not expecting a thing from Jimmy Page unless its a Puff daddy remix of lucifer Rising

If Jimmy Page was out there actively touring, then he'd be at these festivals and just like with Jack, perhaps he'd be booked in a lineup with Robert. Who is to say they wouldn't play a song or two if things fell in place like that? Keep in mind that Jack and Robert have been on the same bill several times before but this is just the first and perhaps only time anything has happened.

Was a point of view. Not a psychological exam of my feelings about the subject

that i need to let go! The current narrative is Plant is a good guy who is out there playing well

and Page is wasting his time in the archive.A little balance may be in order .Neither position is wholly correct.

don't you think?

that i need to let go! The current narrative is Plant is a good guy who is out there playing well

and Page is wasting his time in the archive.A little balance may be in order .Neither position is wholly correct.

don't you think?

Yes i despise that narrative.These reissues are top notch. And honestly if Page never did anything again, does that change anything about his legacy? I don't think so. If he plays, then great. If not, then that's just fine cause he has nothing to prove. I love seeing Plant out there, i love seeing Jonesy out there, but if none of them did anything at all post 1980, i wouldn't hold it against them. These men can do what they please. There's a reason we are all in this forum right?

If that"s a reply to me I stated I respect Jimmy and what he does even though I hear very little difference in remasters ... There"s nothing wrong with him preserving and being proud of his legacy. I think the other 2 have the right to play with whomever they like though Life goes on for all

don't you think?

I think the current narrative is actually that Plant is a guy (why put a value judgment on 'good' or 'bad'?) who is out there playing, and having fun doing what he wants to do, rather than what anyone else wants him to do, with a group of people he's comfortable with and without having to live up to any expectations except the ones he imposes on himself.

So he went out and did a Zep song with Jack White.... and royally took the piss out of his younger self in the process (baby, baby, baby, baby.....). Why not? There was no pressure on him to go out there do it night after night, and he's said time and time again that he doesn't want to resurrect the beast. He did the same thing with Pearl Jam a few years ago (Fool in the Rain). When Plant and Page were touring separately in the 80's they'd occasionally play the odd song together onstage too. Plant's not showing a lack of respect for his former bandmates, I think he's showing the ultimate respect for a band that was totally of its time and ran its course by paying homage to it without trying to relive it, or worse. At least he's still out there doing the do, and doing it very well indeed all things considered.

Page on the other hand is not out there playing, despite the annual claims for the desire to 'manifest', 'be seen' or whatever other spin he puts on his current lack of momentum. Whilst the ongoing reissue programme is great for maintaining the profile of Zeppelin, you have to remember that the actual remastering process finished long ago. Yes, Jimmy is out there doing the promotion stuff, but if he was really intent on putting a band together there are absolutely no reasons that he couldn't be doing that between the spurts of media activity. For each release he's been out there doing interviews & events for maybe two or thee weeks? 42 weeks have passed since the re-release campaign began last June. Let's be generous and say he's been doing promo stuff for 4 weeks for each release. Thats 12 weeks. Perhaps he then has two weeks off after each campaign - that brings it to 18 weeks. That leaves him 24 weeks (5 months!) where he could have been practising, writing, putting a band together. If he actually had any ambition at all to actually be out there playing he could have, should have been putting that into motion months ago. That's obviously not where his heart is any more.

Page didn't waste his time messing about in the archive. I'm sure there'll be a whole slew of different remasters to come.

Just don't expect him to go out and play any of it.

And Plant? Why can't he play anything he likes with anyone he likes? Surely he's earned that privilege - he's either toured or appeared live somewhere almost every year since Zep split.

Why oh why does every single thread about Robert Plant performing have to turn into a Plant playing without Page thing ???

I suggest everyone take a big step back and learn to just relax and enjoy any type of performance whether it be a live one or just listening to the re-masters, because there will come a time when Plant, Page, and Jones will be gone and all that will be left is the music.

If you love this music that much, and I suspect you do or you wouldn't be a part of this forum, then learn to respect the choices , be they personal or professional, of the musicians who created it.

and as a follow up to my previous post - we should all respect each other's opinions as well.

Much like the chicken or the egg argument, the Page and Plant debate is one that won't ever have a correct answer.

If everyone all had the same opinions or POV's about Zeppelin, well what a boring world ( and forum) this would be.

You might not like someone's post , but just remember they have the right to post it , and while you might not agree with it, that doesn't make it wrong.

Personally I'd like to see more of a whole lotta love around here.... :peace:

U r right and I'll try to let it begin with me. Thanks maybe I needed to hear that. After all love for these 4 guys music is why we r here. I'll keep that in mind. Just watched my own screening at home of mothership DVD and man they were indeed Giants

I don't know Robert Plant but somehow I doubt that everything he says or does is motivated by his opinion of Jimmy Page. Jack White is regarded as one of the best guitarists of his generation and Robert Plant is a legend. More than enough reason for the two men to collaborate, imo. Also, Plant co-wrote most of those Zep songs so he has every right to perform them with whomever he wishes.

It's a great performance and it's also different from the original, for those who desperately want consistency with the idea, that Robert always plays Zeppelin songs differently and now he sort of didn't so why not with Zeppelin!

Why some of you have a problem, with him not wanting to play in Zeppelin and wanting to do other things, is simply beyond me, especially as there is no Bonzo!

Archived