2017 Major League Baseball thread....

paul carruthers

17 hours ago, zepscoda said:

^ nice pics... is that beer any good?

It will very interesting to see what, if any, adjustments Darvish makes. If there's a team in the league that knows his stuff the best, it's Houston. 

16 hours ago, ebk said:

It's actually wine, so I'd say the chances of it being any good are slim :)  However, I'd get a bottle just for a collection, should I be inclined to collect such things.  Like a bottle of 2004 50th Orioles Anniversary cab.  Which I will never open, because what's the point... 

Looks like the Astros haven't forgotten Yu's stuff. 

Yes it's wine. Syrah and a Chardonnay. Purely for commemorative purposes. Drinkable...but nothing to write home about and overpriced at $17 a bottle.

It's on Alex Woods to stop the Houston bats and go as deep as he can now that Dave Roberts has burned through his roster in two straight games. The dude is over-thinking in his first World Series managing.

Kershaw will pitch Game 5, which takes him out of play for Game 7, save a possible relief appearance. Houston might bypass Kuechel and throw Verlander against Kershaw in Game 5 in a matchup for the ages.

I see that douchebag in the orange Marlins sweater and visor is back. He was behind the plate at the games last year with his stupid sideways visor and child molester beard and constantly checking his cellphone (put the phone down!) and again at the Chicago games during the NLCS this year. But I didn't see him at any of the Dodger games behind home plate, so I thought we were safe from seeing him this World Series. But nope...there he was last night in Houston, again wearing his Marlins hoodie and that dopey visor. At least if you are going to wear a visor wear it right. Don't wear it sideways like a moron. 

Maybe he couldn't afford tickets to the L.A. games or he doesn't travel west of the Continental Divide? Maybe Larry King forbade the Dodgers from sitting the orange goof anywhere near him and Mary Hart? One day he is going to be found in the parking lot strangled by his dopey visor.

I just have to say that the beards have got to go. It was a fad started by God knows who and it's time to break out the razors and clippers and get rid of the awful looking things. Do the players think they're in the civil war?

20 hours ago, redrum said:

I just have to say that the beards have got to go. It was a fad started by God knows who and it's time to break out the razors and clippers and get rid of the awful looking things. Do the players think they're in the civil war?

Lol.....agreed.  Grow one every Winter, but it's gone by 70 degrees.  Wearing one at 100 degrees would just be irritating and sweaty as hell.  I can see why football players like a little scruff though.  Chinstraps can be irritating as hell, especially if you're prone to ingrown hairs.

Gotta cut this guy some slack though....he's actually Amish.

amish.jpg

Go Dodgers!!!  Belinger has found his game and I expect more damage from him.  What a clutch hit by Forsythe.  Kershaw goes vs Keichel tonight.  To me Kershaw is the best starter in baseball.  If the Dodgers now can jump on them early, and go back home 3-2, its going to be mighty tough.  I expect Hill to pitch well next game.  The Dodgers have their confidence.  And their ace!  Go Blue!!!!!

Guess I will be flippin a bit.  This game and the Lions and Steelers which is an old NFL rivalry of two teams that rarely meet any more.  I hope the Lions beat the sons of bitches.  

The baseball game is one heck of a World Series game  and huge for the winner.  Probably worse for Houston to lose this game as they go back to LA for the final two.  I believe in Kershaw.  Justin Turner is one hell of a player.  But his glove is not that of Manny Machaado.  Just imagine the Dodgers with him at third.  They are scary enough.  To me Jansen is the second best closer in the game right now as I still say Zach Britton is the best.  But the Dodgers are loaded in the pen.  Morrow pitched great.  Took care of Altuve and Correa before the Dodgers big inning.  Monster game tonight and Kershaw finally has his spotlight that he so much deserves

14 hours ago, Bong-Man said:

Lol.....agreed.  Grow one every Winter, but it's gone by 70 degrees.  Wearing one at 100 degrees would just be irritating and sweaty as hell.  I can see why football players like a little scruff though.  Chinstraps can be irritating as hell, especially if you're prone to ingrown hairs.

Gotta cut this guy some slack though....he's actually Amish.

amish.jpg

NORELCO.jpg

1 hour ago, kingzoso said:

What a Fucking Game!!!.  

The Houston Astros are going to win the  2017 World Series.

Let us pray!

My girlfriend actually watched the game with me. Unbelievable, and those damned Dodgers sure know how to hit 'em where they ain't.

8 hours ago, kingzoso said:

What a Fucking Game!!!.  

The Houston Astros are going to win the  2017 World Series.

Wait just a minute now fella.  So last nights game taught you nothing?  This will go down with the 1975 (Reds vs Red Sox) and 1986 (Mets vs Red Sox) as one of the best ever if it goes to 7 which I say it will.  Do not count the Dodgers out.  I did not like Maeda giving Altuve the chance he did.  I would have pitched around him and taken my chances.  Or brought Morrow in or something.  

If Hill wins game 6 Kershaw can be ready for game 7 as he started game one on 4 days rest.  At least he could pitch 4-5 innings. Dodgers will be back in LA on dirt.  Hopefully giving Houston their dirt nap.

This has been an incredible Fall Classic to watch (especially if you are on the West Coast and don't have to worry about getting up early). Last year's Game 7 was one for the ages but the other games were rather uneventful.

Every game in the 2017 World Series has been fun to watch and full of dramatic twists and turns. But you also have to be shaking your head at the woefully inconsistent umpiring and the mismanaging by both teams...but in particular Dave Roberts' blunders.

The first sign of doom was Bill Miller behind the plate. MLB has plenty of evidence on tape that shows this guy should never be allowed to be a home plate umpire in a World Series game.

You could say the Dodgers choked away Game 2 and Game 5 and theoretically should have already wrapped up this World Series last night. In a way, they still might have wrapped it up...but in the Astros favour. I mean, both teams need their Game 6 starter to go deep to spare their tattered bullpens. Who do you think the odds favour in that situation: Rich Hill or Justin Verlander? Uh huh...I thought so.

I said Roberts pulling Rich Hill early in Game 2 would have repercussions and it has shown in his overuse of the bullpen these past four games...especially Maeda and Morrow. They had nothing left last night and it was obvious from their first pitch.

I realize the game was exciting to watch but coaches are paid to pay attention to the details. It was clear Morrow was gassed and had no life in his fastball...which meant the bullpen catcher and coach must have seen it, too. When Roberts put the call in to the pen to bring in Morrow (who, being injury-prone, had never pitched three straight days before) the bullpen coach should have said Morrow was unavailable and suggest using Stripling or somebody else.

Also, in a game when everyone was bashing the ball and no lead was safe, why did Roberts call for a bunt with nobody out after Turner led off with a double in the 7th inning? A bunt that led to Turner being thrown out at third base.

If the Dodgers lose this Series, there will be a lot of discussion of Dave Roberts and the implosion of the Dodgers' bullpen.

Finally, Clayton Kershaw is a great pitcher. Every team would love to have him...I wish the Angels had him. But he is not ready to be mentioned with the World Series clutch immortals such as Don Larsen, Whitey Ford, Bob Gibson, Sandy Koufax, Orel Hersheiser, Fernando Valenzuela, Jack Morris, Madison Bumgarner, Justin Verlander.

C'mon Justin !.....one more !!  You didn't come all this way to lose this one.  Trick or treat time....show the Yanks & Cubs how being cheap earned them a seat on the couch. 

The first sign of doom was Bill Miller behind the plate. MLB has plenty of evidence on tape that shows this guy should never be allowed to be a home plate umpire in a World Series game.

Agreed.  Can't say I've ever seen such lack of consistency in calling balls and strikes, and it wasn't just this series.  Outside and low seems to be wandering quite a bit, especially depending on the count.

17 hours ago, Strider said:

This has been an incredible Fall Classic to watch (especially if you are on the West Coast and don't have to worry about getting up early). Last year's Game 7 was one for the ages but the other games were rather uneventful.

Every game in the 2017 World Series has been fun to watch and full of dramatic twists and turns. But you also have to be shaking your head at the woefully inconsistent umpiring and the mismanaging by both teams...but in particular Dave Roberts' blunders.

You could say the Dodgers choked away Game 2 and Game 5 and theoretically should have already wrapped up this World Series last night. In a way, they still might have wrapped it up...but in the Astros favour. I mean, both teams need their Game 6 starter to go deep to spare their tattered bullpens. Who do you think the odds favour in that situation: Rich Hill or Justin Verlander? Uh huh...I thought so.

I said Roberts pulling Rich Hill early in Game 2 would have repercussions and it has shown in his overuse of the bullpen these past four games...especially Maeda and Morrow. They had nothing left last night and it was obvious from their first pitch.

I realize the game was exciting to watch but coaches are paid to pay attention to the details. It was clear Morrow was gassed and had no life in his fastball...which meant the bullpen catcher and coach must have seen it, too. When Roberts put the call in to the pen to bring in Morrow (who, being injury-prone, had never pitched three straight days before) the bullpen coach should have said Morrow was unavailable and suggest using Stripling or somebody else.

Also, in a game when everyone was bashing the ball and no lead was safe, why did Roberts call for a bunt with nobody out after Turner led off with a double in the 7th inning? A bunt that led to Turner being thrown out at third base.

If the Dodgers lose this Series, there will be a lot of discussion of Dave Roberts and the implosion of the Dodgers' bullpen.

Finally, Clayton Kershaw is a great pitcher. Every team would love to have him...I wish the Angels had him. But he is not ready to be mentioned with the World Series clutch immortals such as Don Larsen, Whitey Ford, Bob Gibson, Sandy Koufax, Orel Hersheiser, Fernando Valenzuela, Jack Morris, Madison Bumgarner, Justin Verlander.

Lets hope we see him one more time in game 7.   Kershaw.   I still cannot put this series over the 86 Mets vs Red Sox or 75 Reds vs Red Sox yet.  Of course I liked the 70 one for my own stingy reasons, beating the big red machine.   Go Dodgers!!!!!!

3 hours ago, Walter said:

Speaking of umps. Joe West was over recently and brought his WS ring from last year and all-star ring from this year with him. Thought y’all might want to see them...

CA7925A5-B2CA-4294-A944-A6F99D5ACE22.jpeg

2A0ECD1F-87A1-43AE-ABD2-3EFBFA748E02.jpeg

Pretty cool. What was his opinion of Bill Miller?

DNXR3CQVQAE78F5.thumb.jpg.00c258b6e404d304450f45a1d5ba5040.jpg

DNXR3CQVQAE78F5.jpg.2f3d905b5b0ac562c6d7

This guy needs to be removed by the commissioner of baseball. What a joke. The only worse calls I ever saw were in little league once.  I hit a double and then the prick umpire who must have been blind, called me out when the pitcher tried to pick me off at second. I beat the throw by a mile and he called me out.  LOL.  But you do not expect this kind of shit in the World Series.  And baseball, compared to football to me gets it right far more often.  Hockey and basketball I feel are the best at getting calls right.  I guess its not easy to call live balls and strikes but some of these were just so obviously wrong.  In football its the holding calls that really piss me off.  They can pretty much call holding when ever they want.

There is no damn way I put Darvish out there tonight.  No way on Earth. I do not trust him and never did.  I would go with what A Rod I believe said in the pre game.  Wood and Kershaw to split the duties.  Far better option.  But it seems he is going to set the Dodgers up to have to score early or rally with this guy out there that is soooo over rated.

What a World Series! It deserved a seventh game. Both teams are playing their hearts out. Let's hope they have something left for the last game of the season.

As for pitching, this is clearly a case of "all hands on deck". Both managers are going to throw whoever they can out on the mound.

It's the kind of Series where it's been so evenly matched you hate to see a loser. 

1 hour ago, Strider said:

What a World Series! It deserved a seventh game. Both teams are playing their hearts out. Let's hope they have something left for the last game of the season.

As for pitching, this is clearly a case of "all hands on deck". Both managers are going to throw whoever they can out on the mound.

It's the kind of Series where it's been so evenly matched you hate to see a loser. 

Caught the last two innings last night. Good for you and your dodgers!  

Archived