Atlanta 1973 soundcheck photos

sam_webmaster

• Administrators

The venue of these soundcheck photos have long been debated, which most fans narrowed down to Atlanta or Tampa. I don't think there was a soundcheck at Tampa, so Atlanta was the likely place. Confirmation from the photographer reveals that it was indeed Atlanta. Unfortunately, he only has one outtake photo left in his collection (the first pic below). Curious to note that the band played Beatles songs during the soundcheck.

"Sad to say that this out take is one of the few Led Zeppelin photos I have left. The rest were sold to magazines and were kept on file for future use. The photos were never returned. This photo was taken during an afternoon sound check. It was pretty cool hearing Led Zeppelin warm up playing Beatles numbers!"

1973-05-04-atlanta_soundcheck_lzcom4.jpg

1973-05-04-atlanta_soundcheck_lzcom2.jpg

1973-05-04-atlanta_soundcheck_lzcom1.jpg

1973-05-04-atlanta_soundcheck_lzcom3.jpg

1973-SC-04.jpg

http://www.ledzeppelin.com/show/may-4-1973

Yes, that's Atlanta's old Fulton County Stadium, which became the parking lot for Turner Field (which has since been sold to Georgia State University in  downtown Atlanta off of I-20). The Wall for old Fulton County Stsdium remains tibthis day as it is historical to the Braves / Atlanta as Hank Aaron (#755 home run king) hit his record breaker in early 70s. 

R😎

14 hours ago, zeplz71 said:

Great photos. The debut of the Vistalite drum kit.

I love this!! Being a drummer myself I can imagine Bonzo being totally stoked to get on his new set and they have since has become so historic:):) 

Thanks for the thread Sam:)

34 minutes ago, porgie66 said:

I wonder if Bonzo had played these drums in England before coming over for the tour, or if he met his Vistalite kit in the US , at this soundcheck?? Notice the bass drum doesn't have the 3 rings yet . 

Thanks for that, I spent ages looking at that first picture yesterday trying to work out what was different about the bass drum.

I would guess that Bonham had tried out other Vistalites beforehand & then had this kit brought on the tour, I could be wrong. The kit certainly looks great in these outdoor pictures & contrary to what some people think, I always thought it sounded fantastic too.

6 hours ago, Mook said:

Thanks for that, I spent ages looking at that first picture yesterday trying to work out what was different about the bass drum.

I would guess that Bonham had tried out other Vistalites beforehand & then had this kit brought on the tour, I could be wrong. The kit certainly looks great in these outdoor pictures & contrary to what some people think, I always thought it sounded fantastic too.

Yeah, the rings were added after Tampa for the Jacksonville gig. That kit does look great in the sun, like orange candy. He made them sound better than they usually do. Magic touch. 

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 3:14 AM, porgie66 said:

I wonder if Bonzo had played these drums in England before coming over for the tour, or if he met his Vistalite kit in the US , at this soundcheck?? Notice the bass drum doesn't have the 3 rings yet . 

Just noticed that!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/22/2017 at 7:25 AM, greig1983 said:

Great photos thanks. Don't we all wish we were there too?

Led Zeppelin Autographs

Indeed, how magical would that be!

These photos are awesome, thanks so much for sharing. I wonder what Beatles songs they played? 

Also liked the Union Jack patch over Zep's 5th member!

Archived