Am thinking Jimmy must be the sb source

drpete

I'm convinced he has to be the only person who has access to all these releases and considering that they weren't multitracked to be made an official product,  he s getting them out through EV.  He seems to have a good relationship with them .  And maybe just doing a song by song release of Japan 71 to wet our appetite for an official release.  If this is so, I can forgive him for cutting up the medley on HTWWW,  lol. 

Nah. Don't buy that. Besides what we do know already, he had a number stolen from his house and the 75 US tour stuff, more than likely, a Showco employee. He probably has a few more but in what quality, one can only presumes to be, not that great. 

Good time to post this link again:

http://www.bootlegzone.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=11600

From the Langley bootleg trial, where Jimmy took the stand and was asked questions about his perennial sidekick Ross Halfin. The lawyer asked Jimmy about a recent home-movie that Jimmy's daughter Scarlet had filmed, which still somehow managed to show up on a bootleg in Japan. Ruins the theory of these things only coming from the 1980s house robbery or from a Showco employee or from some secret collector.  Given that the defendant Langley was himself behind a few bootleg labels and knew many of the players in the game, it's not a difficult one to piece together. As for Jimmy's denial...he's also denied ever having lifted song bits from others in court too, so.... 

MM: You've said already that you know Ross Halfin. Was it he who 
introduced you to the bootleg shops in Japan? 
JP: Yes, it could've been. 
MM: Does Mr. Halfin give you bootlegs? 
JP: Yes, sometimes. 
MM: Perhaps Mr. Halfin will return from a trip to Japan and bring 
back with him some CDs which he'll give to you? 
JP: Yes, perhaps. 
MM: I put it to you that your attitude towards bootlegs is not as 
serious as you would like it to appear. I put it to you that Mr. 
Halfin is a conduit.
That he acts as a go-between. That the film your daughter took was 
passed to Mr. Halfin with your knowledge and consent, and that he 
then took it to Japan to be made into a bootleg. 
JP: No. Absolutely not. 

40 minutes ago, pluribus said:

Good time to post this link again:

http://www.bootlegzone.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=11600

From the Langley bootleg trial, where Jimmy took the stand and was asked questions about his perennial sidekick Ross Halfin. The lawyer asked Jimmy about a recent home-movie that Jimmy's daughter Scarlet had filmed, which still somehow managed to show up on a bootleg in Japan. Ruins the theory of these things only coming from the 1980s house robbery or from a Showco employee or from some secret collector.  Given that the defendant Langley was himself behind a few bootleg labels and knew many of the players in the game, it's not a difficult one to piece together. As for Jimmy's denial...he's also denied ever having lifted song bits from others in court too, so.... 

MM: You've said already that you know Ross Halfin. Was it he who 
introduced you to the bootleg shops in Japan? 
JP: Yes, it could've been. 
MM: Does Mr. Halfin give you bootlegs? 
JP: Yes, sometimes. 
MM: Perhaps Mr. Halfin will return from a trip to Japan and bring 
back with him some CDs which he'll give to you? 
JP: Yes, perhaps. 
MM: I put it to you that your attitude towards bootlegs is not as 
serious as you would like it to appear. I put it to you that Mr. 
Halfin is a conduit.
That he acts as a go-between. That the film your daughter took was 
passed to Mr. Halfin with your knowledge and consent, and that he 
then took it to Japan to be made into a bootleg. 
JP: No. Absolutely not. 

Your avatar photo is perfect for this reply! Mifune contemplating the ruse! 🤔

It's clear there's been no single source for all this over the years. You have to wonder if a few things haven't leaked out semi-officially at least. Southampton 73, and then there's the O2 rehearsal from 2007... how the hell did that get out? You'd have to assume that anyone working on the release of that show was under a cast iron NDA. Also I'm suspicious about the single tracks from Japan 71 we're getting drip fed. I wouldn't be remotely surprised if they traced back to the band in some way. But we'll likely never know.

1975/77, no way is that Jimmy. He'd never release a lot of that, especially the 1977 ones. I have an unproveable hunch that we may have seen the last of those anyway.

6 hours ago, pluribus said:

From the Langley bootleg trial, where Jimmy took the stand

I think we've been here before! That laywer was just fishing. If there'd been any real evidence at that point he'd have pushed it a lot harder if he really thought he'd just got Jimmy to perjure himself under oath. It's long been a matter of record that Jimmy gets boots from Japan, but that's not the same as saying he's sending them there. Quite the opposite really if you think about it; if he was the source of all the boots, he'd hardly be going shopping for them.

11 hours ago, Crimson Avenger said:

It's clear there's been no single source for all this over the years. You have to wonder if a few things haven't leaked out semi-officially at least. Southampton 73, and then there's the O2 rehearsal from 2007... how the hell did that get out? You'd have to assume that anyone working on the release of that show was under a cast iron NDA. Also I'm suspicious about the single tracks from Japan 71 we're getting drip fed. I wouldn't be remotely surprised if they traced back to the band in some way. But we'll likely never know.

1975/77, no way is that Jimmy. He'd never release a lot of that, especially the 1977 ones. I have an unproveable hunch that we may have seen the last of those anyway.

I think we've been here before! That laywer was just fishing. If there'd been any real evidence at that point he'd have pushed it a lot harder if he really thought he'd just got Jimmy to perjure himself under oath. It's long been a matter of record that Jimmy gets boots from Japan, but that's not the same as saying he's sending them there. Quite the opposite really if you think about it; if he was the source of all the boots, he'd hardly be going shopping for them.

I agree with pretty much everything you say here.

RE Southampton and O2 rehearsal, it's hard to imagine that enough people had access to that, that it would prevent Page from identifying the culprit. So it stands to reason that he either knew who it was and didn't mind, or gave someone a nod and a wink to do it, or didn't know for sure who it was but also didn't care.

RE '75 and '77, that's an interesting theory. I'm inclined to believe we're not done with '77 yet, mainly because we got 4-27 Cleveland but not the amazing 4-28 show from the same venue - not to mention Pontiac 4-30 and the 6-21 to 27 LA shows.

But for '75 your theory makes a lot of sense. While 3-12 Long Beach and the 3-24-27 LA run are not yet circulating in soundboard form, 3-21 Seattle was basically the holy grail of that tour and now it's out. Hard to see EVSD having released that one if they had other '75 shows still in the can.

3 hours ago, tmtomh said:

RE Southampton and O2 rehearsal, it's hard to imagine that enough people had access to that, that it would prevent Page from identifying the culprit. So it stands to reason that he either knew who it was and didn't mind, or gave someone a nod and a wink to do it, or didn't know for sure who it was but also didn't care.

RE '75 and '77, that's an interesting theory. I'm inclined to believe we're not done with '77 yet, mainly because we got 4-27 Cleveland but not the amazing 4-28 show from the same venue - not to mention Pontiac 4-30 and the 6-21 to 27 LA shows.

But for '75 your theory makes a lot of sense. While 3-12 Long Beach and the 3-24-27 LA run are not yet circulating in soundboard form, 3-21 Seattle was basically the holy grail of that tour and now it's out. Hard to see EVSD having released that one if they had other '75 shows still in the can.

4-27-77 is ancient, not sure it has any bearing on the current run of releases.  I doubt the "revolution" source has Detroit or any LA shows (they have Greensboro and possibly Baton Rouge and Birmingham).

I believe the 3-21-75 release actually increases the likelihood that boards of the LA shows exist.  They almost certainly have Houston, 1st San Diego, and 2nd Long Beach.  The fact that they didn't save the best (2nd Seattle) for last suggests they're going to do something grandiose with the Forum shows (which, performances aside that tour, always have an allure because of the historical significance of LA to the band).

On 06/04/2018 at 10:33 PM, tmtomh said:

Cheers! Hopefully we do get more 1977 and 1975, but it will be a while now anyway if Japan 71 does get out in its entirety. I wouldn't be surprised either way re Japan. 1977 in particular seems patchy in terms of what's been put out. I love 1975 and even I'm a bit bored with it now; only something from January would be interesting at this point. No sign of that... maybe there was a ShowCo employee who only started working there in February!

I think carelessness at some point along the line is probably the right reason re the o2 and Southampton. I can't see why Jimmy would connive in their escape, so it's hard to see how those things got out without an abuse of trust somewhere along the line. I suppose it's also possible that Jimmy found out where the leak came from and dealt with it quietly to avoid a public fuss.

On 07/04/2018 at 1:47 AM, JohnOsbourne said:

boards of the LA shows exist

It's interesting that LA just doesn't leak, so I'd say the odds are against it. There are no circulating Zep boards from the Forum from any year, apart from the small fragment from 1972 and the 1973 ones we know were stolen. Which is odd considering the number of shows they played there. Same for Chicago actually. Yet Landover leaks like a sieve. Maybe the band were more protective of tapes from certain venues.

On 07/04/2018 at 1:47 AM, JohnOsbourne said:

they have Greensboro and possibly Baton Rouge and Birmingham

How do you know this?

1 hour ago, Crimson Avenger said:

Cheers! 

It's interesting that LA just doesn't leak, so I'd say the odds are against it. There are no circulating Zep boards from the Forum from any year, apart from the small fragment from 1972 and the 1973 ones we know were stolen. Which is odd considering the number of shows they played there. Same for Chicago actually. Yet Landover leaks like a sieve. Maybe the band were more protective of tapes from certain venues.

I know the famous 50 ' soundcheck featuring the Graffiti previews and the Rock 'n Roll covers is commonly attributed to May 1973, but in Dave Lewis' concert File'  - LA forum 72, Percy is quoted " When we did the LA Forum we made some recordings of the rehearsal and we did about an hour's run through which ended up getting an echo set going. I think we played every number on Elvis' golden  disc volume one...."  Compare Percy's vox from HTWWW with this and I feel the little cracks in his voice do sound very similar. Spring 73 is possible, but the party atmosphere on the rehearsal makes LA 72 more likely. 

57 minutes ago, duckman said:

I know the famous 50 ' soundcheck featuring the Graffiti previews and the Rock 'n Roll covers is commonly attributed to May 1973, but in Dave Lewis' concert File'  - LA forum 72, Percy is quoted " When we did the LA Forum we made some recordings of the rehearsal and we did about an hour's run through which ended up getting an echo set going. I think we played every number on Elvis' golden  disc volume one...."  Compare Percy's vox from HTWWW with this and I feel the little cracks in his voice do sound very similar. Spring 73 is possible, but the party atmosphere on the rehearsal makes LA 72 more likely. 

This has always felt like a 1973 soundcheck.   Not sure why everyone changes the dates on it.  

We have to realize this...just because Plant references a particular Soundcheck with Elvis covers that doesn’t mean there are many other nights when the band did soundchecks with oldies.  It was probably common place at soundchecks to do old covers.   Doesn’t mean we have that exact 1972 soundcheck thst Robert refers to. 

Plant and the band see pretty subdue during this 1973 soundcheck.   It doesn’t sound like 1972 at all 

3 hours ago, Sticks of Fire said:

This has always felt like a 1973 soundcheck.   Not sure why everyone changes the dates on it.  

We have to realize this...just because Plant references a particular Soundcheck with Elvis covers that doesn’t mean there are many other nights when the band did soundchecks with oldies.  It was probably common place at soundchecks to do old covers.   Doesn’t mean we have that exact 1972 soundcheck thst Robert refers to. 

Plant and the band see pretty subdue during this 1973 soundcheck.   It doesn’t sound like 1972 at all 

No way is that 72.  Not only because of Plant's voice, but Bonzo's drums... that's definitely his vistalite kit in that recording.

6 hours ago, LedElvis75 said:

No way is that 72.  Not only because of Plant's voice, but Bonzo's drums... that's definitely his vistalite kit in that recording.

Correct, there is no mistaking the sound of the Vistalites. Pages guitar tone is signature 73 too. 

13 hours ago, Crimson Avenger said:

How do you know this?

The "revolution" supply is almost certainly a contiguous block of shows, hence it's extremely likely they have Houston, San Diego, Long Beach from '75, and Greensboro from '77.  "Edge shows", so to speak, are a possibility (e.g. would be nice if Philadelphia '75 showed up).

11 hours ago, JohnOsbourne said:

The "revolution" supply is almost certainly a contiguous block of shows, hence it's extremely likely they have Houston, San Diego, Long Beach from '75, and Greensboro from '77.  "Edge shows", so to speak, are a possibility (e.g. would be nice if Philadelphia '75 showed up).

If they have 3/11/75 they most certainly have 3/12/75.  That would be absolutely KILLER.

15 hours ago, LedElvis75 said:

If they have 3/11/75 they most certainly have 3/12/75.  That would be absolutely KILLER.

Agreed, 3-12-75 is an amazing show, just a shade below 3-21-75, can't wait for the board to come out.

7 hours ago, duckman said:

Didn't they announce 3/12 Long Beach SB last year ? Supposedly to be released after Seattle 3/21 and (yet another) BBHill source.

Of course everyone goes bonkers on 929 right now (myself included):flying:

I think it was teased, along with the "you torrented the Seattle board too quickly, now you're not getting Long Beach or Blueberry Hill!" nonsense.  Hell, who really knows??

Well, if Page is the source for all soundboards and is holding back some of the holy grail shows, then that is just stupid and greedy. Why not release them for the fans to enjoy. Dude, its been 45-50 years. We all love the band and the band members. We want our holy grails.

The only exceptions is if he is waiting for the 50th and does a huge release of soundboards and finally the holy grails are found. If that's it, then that is very page-y and cool. But if he has them and continues to just sit with them. That makes no sense. Which is why I don't think he is the source for soundboards. I mean he might have some stuff to release, but the all mighty source. Very doubtful.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/3/2018 at 1:07 PM, drpete said:

I'm convinced he has to be the only person who has access to all these releases and considering that they weren't multitracked to be made an official product,  he s getting them out through EV.  He seems to have a good relationship with them .  And maybe just doing a song by song release of Japan 71 to wet our appetite for an official release.  If this is so, I can forgive him for cutting up the medley on HTWWW,  lol. 

If it were page given his perfectionist streak we would be getting more boards from the early years that show both page and plant in a much  better light . I can't see page being eager to get shows like Houston 77 or may 28 77 in handover. Many of the revolution releases have been average performances. Can't see page releasing all these 75 and 77 boards. They are not very flattering in terms of pages playing.  Can't see him wanting people to hear  him struggling like he did in 77.

8 hours ago, Adam Ryan watson said:

If it were page given his perfectionist streak we would be getting more boards from the early years that show both page and plant in a much  better light . I can't see page being eager to get shows like Houston 77 or may 28 77 in handover. Many of the revolution releases have been average performances. Can't see page releasing all these 75 and 77 boards. They are not very flattering in terms of pages playing.  Can't see him wanting people to hear  him struggling like he did in 77.

Yes.  There are many reasons to doubt Page as the source, but this is a big one.

Archived