Harvey Goldsmith's Blog

enjoy

Be sure to read the comments and Harvey's reply on Jan 4......

http://www.harveygoldsmith.com/harvey-blogs.php

30 December.

30.Dec.2007 17:33

Sunday 30 th. December 2007

December was an extremely busy month for us in the office. It was also a very successful month.

The Led Zeppelin concert exceeded all expectation. I hope that for those who were fortunate enough to get tickets it was a worthwhile experience.

I would like to thank everybody from artists to staff who made a supreme effort to make it the most memorable event of the year.

The preliminary figures show that over $3 million dollars has been raised for the Ahmet Ertegun Education Fund, a fantastic result.

For those who wish to purchase merchandise from the show please go to the Ahmet tribute website.

Nine days later Bruce Springsteen breezed into town and tore the O2 apart with a spectacular concert.

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band will be back next summer to play in the best Stadiums in the UK:

28 May Manchester United Stadium

30 and 31st May Arsenal’s Emirates Stadium

14 June Cardiff’s Millenium Stadium

Tickets are selling fast, so don’t wait to see the best touring act in the world.

Jools Holland finished his annual Christmas tour breaking all previous records in sales. He will be back next year with a new show.

On Jan. 8th. We open Cirque du Soleil’s new show Varekai at the Royal Albert Hall. This is the best touring show that they have produced.

Tickets are selling so well that we are going to extend the run to mid Feb. Do get tickets as this is a show not to be missed.

In May Robert Plant and Alison Krauss will be touring the UK performing their new album. This was voted Album Of The Year by the Sunday Times.

Dates are:

Mon 05/05/08

19:30 NIA BirminghamBirmingham, GB

Wed 07/05/08

19:00 Manchester ApolloManchester, Lancashire, GB

Thu 08/05/08

18:30 Cardiff International ArenaCardiff, GB

Thu 22/05/08

19:30 Wembley ArenaMiddlesex, GB

We made a tough decision to try and make the tickets for the Led Zeppelin concert available only to fans and stood our ground in our effort to stop secondary trade in the tickets.

There are arguments for and against secondary ticketing, however I am determined to make a stand on behalf of real music fans to find a fair way for them to obtain tickets at the price that is advertised.

I believe that tickets are a currency, time and dated not a commodity.

Our industry must decide what kind of business we are in. The future of our industry depends on a fair distribution of tickets to those people who have supported their heroes and want to see them live.

We need legislation to help protect those fans from being ripped off.

The biggest problem today is that a large criminal element has gripped this secondary market purely to take advantage of fans with no guarantee of delivery.

Most of the secondary sites who protest their innocence, give no guarantee that when the fans are ripped off, they can be refunded when fraudulent transactions take place.

This problem is growing and is taking away confidence in the market.

I urge Artists and fans alike to stop using these sites. If the practice continues then a ticket will have no controlled value and it will be down to the highest bidder.

This will destroy confidence in the business with frightening consequences.

We also need to have a balance between ticket prices at the top end and those newcomers that we are trying to promote.

Promoters spend a large amount of time budgeting to ensure that the right price is charged to the public. Often artists are deliberately underpriced to ensure that the fans can afford to support their heroes.

The bulk of Artists earnings today stem from performing live. That is why so many artists are on the road.

Balanced ticket pricing is essential to keep this ever growing market flourishing.

The secondary market, which puts nothing back into the Industry, is destroying that balance.

Please let me have your comments whether you agree with my stance on this difficult problem.

I wish all of you a happy, healthy and successful 2008

Harvey.

Dear Mr Goldsmith,

You are a twat.

You have absolutely no idea of modern culture. You are a dinosaur, trying to be part of the modern way of life.

If fans want to go to a gig then they will pay whatever they want and exploit whatever means they have to.

I wanted to see Led Zeppelin like my life depended on it, and guess what......I did.

I had to pay a large amount of money to do so.....I paid over £1,000.

Is this what you wanted?

I know you were trying to stop touts and also trying to stop resale of tickets.

However, my need to see this band play live was greater than than your pathetic attempt to try and stop ticket touting.

I am 100% in favour of ticket touting if it means that real fans end up attending the concert. REAL FANS WILL PAY WHATEVER THE COST.

Maybe you felt that out of 18.000 ticket applications, a few thousand would actually know 1 song . To be honest I thought the crowd reaction was pathetic. If you'd have filled the place with Zep fans then the reaction would have been ecstatic.

The whole night was amazing. Led Zeppelin was superb and they played an amazing set,

Jason Bonham, Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, and John Paul Jones played out of their skins and they made my dream come true. Seeing Led Zeppelin as the true force they once were.

If that means that they are no longer then i'm happy with that for now.

Of course, you neglected his Jan. 3 blog entry, so I'll post it because his point is still valid.

3 January 2008.

03.Jan.2008 15:38

RE: Ahmet Ertegun Tribute Concert

Thank you for all of your comments. I thought I should clear up ‘velvet_wall’s’ comments on the 3rd January.

I want to explain what we did at ticket collection for the Ahmet Ertegun Tribute concert.

We were fully aware of those people who decided to sell their tickets before the concert. After a lot of soul searching, internally we decided that rather than have fights and disruption at the ticket collection points on the Sunday and Monday, that unless it was blatantly obvious that the tickets were being touted (we actually confiscated tickets from about 20 people) we agreed to overlook the misdemeanour.

Obviously I did not realise how unscrupulous people would be when the original passcodes were issued. That information has now become very clear and if a similar situation arises it will not be allowed to happen again.

I would like to put this to bed once and for all BUT the principal still remains.

I played by the rules and waited till after the final draw to become more and more desparate and finally buy a passcode on Ebay and then let it out on this forum that I would sell my extra ticket for face value which I did to a huge fan who knew the words to every song and was as emotional as I was. A guy in the immigrations line with me flew over a great expense with no ticket just to try. I would have done the same. I hate scalpers and all they stand for but for this event many people were desparate fans willing to pay whatever while many many seats were full of so called vips and celebs and record industry people who could care less about the music., just want to be where something monumental is taking place. That was what was wrong with this whole set-up. It wasn't truly about the fans it was about who you knew and what job you had and how tickets were handed out to business execs who called around to see if anyone was interested while thousands of true fans with zep license plates and houses full of memorabilia were left to fend for themselves. That arena should have been overflowing with ecstatic emotional people watching their dream come true instead of many who wandered in and out of their seats throughout the show and 4 in front of me left and never even returned after only 3 songs. It made me sick to think of all the fans who wanted to be there. For me though it was a night of pure magic and I am glad I took the chance, spent the money and was lucky enough to be on the inside.

I know, i felt sick when i woke up the morning after the gig to chris moyles talking about how he went but didnt know any of the songs. if they tour the real fans will go but because this was a one off it was half filled with the rich and the famous because they just wanted to be there because they knew it was something big.

Happy Golden Post to me! #214

And, wow.... I don't have a wonderful story to post about how I bought a passcode and sold a ticket to a Zepfan on here or that I bought an overpriced ticket.... no I listened to The Harvey. And what did it get me? It got me some You Tube clips that I have a hard time watching 'cause I wasn't there and a free session with Ask Solar.(and might I add, he gives great advice, lightened the day a bit)

Dear Harvey,

Please make sure I am front row at the next show.

Sincerely,

allthekingshorses

ps- I am currently looking for work, if you would like help with how to figure out this whole ballot thing, I would be happy to assist.

I've typed about it 'til I'm blue in the fingers. The concept was genuine. The actuality of it wasn't. People were incredibly greedy and selfish when it came to signing up for this concert. They went against the rules AND the spirit of the rules, then claimed ignorance and that it wasn't listed in the terms and conditions.

I'm glad you all got your tickets. Whatever.

If there is another show/tour/whatever, I am really hoping that the promotors IMMEDIATELY tie the tickets to the purchaser. No passcode bullshit. Just put the person's name on the ticket or bar code immediately. Then check IDs or have a scan of some sort. Or make it a photo pass like at Glastonbery as someone else posted on his blog.

Fuck scalpers. Fuck touts. Fuck eBay. Many towns/cities/states say that reselling tickets for a profit is illegal. These assbags are breaking the law and making untaxed income.

To be honest I thought the crowd reaction was pathetic. If you'd have filled the place with Zep fans then the reaction would have been ecstatic.

Not all huge Zep fans have to scream, holler and shout. I've loved and followed this band with a passion since the 70's, have countless rarities, posters, bootlegs, memorabillia blah blah, blah blah.

I was just as ecstatic as the next person...but without all of the yelping, whooping and nonsensical gibberish. The picture on my face said it all!

Maybe it's because I'm slightly more 'reserved' (being British what what), but sometimes all of that 'over reaction' gets on my nerves and spoils the experience a little. But hey, this is just me. Each to their own I guess.

Maybe it's because I'm slightly more 'reserved' (being British what what), but sometimes all of that 'over reaction' gets on my nerves and spoils the experience a little. But hey, this is just me. Each to their own I guess.

I don't think American concertgoers "listen" enough to what's being played and tend to scream and yell (and like at the Wilco show I went to last month, try to fucking carry on obnoxious conversations throughout) the shows they attend. I've always appreciated hearing some of the BBC recordings or even the RAH show, because the fans were ENJOYING rather than attempting to participate in the show.

I don't think the crowd's reaction was cold...and I agree with Pilot, there were many, many ecstatic peolpe there. I was one of them.

In the beginning of the concert, at least.

Then I relaxed and was more...the usual me. :unsure::yay::huh::bagoverhead:

The guy at my right side looked at me and said...hey, you're so funny. :ph34r:

But I think I didn't spoil the concert for anyone. ;)

Not all huge Zep fans have to scream, holler and shout. I've loved and followed this band with a passion since the 70's, have countless rarities, posters, bootlegs, memorabillia blah blah, blah blah.

I was just as ecstatic as the next person...but without all of the yelping, whooping and nonsensical gibberish. The picture on my face said it all!

same here Pilot, I don't need to scream and yell to show my appreciation.

same here Pilot, I don't need to scream and yell to show my appreciation.

I really think that this is a cultural thing here. I don't want to get into a big debate about this as everyone is entitled to show their appreciation in their own way, but I currently have three versions of this concert now, and it's those with with American/Canadian sounding accents that can be heard screaming, hollering and whooping all of the time. Christ, I could hardly have been higher up and further away from the stage, but there was a bloke constantly shouting at the band and making requests as if he was 10 feet from them and if his life depended on it. :wacko:

I really think that this is a cultural thing here. I don't want to get into a big debate about this as everyone is entitled to show their appreciation in their own way, but I currently have three versions of this concert now, and it's those with with American/Canadian sounding accents that can be heard screaming, hollering and whooping all of the time. Christ, I could hardly have been higher up and further away from the stage, but there was a bloke constantly shouting at the band and making requests as if he was 10 feet from them and if his life depended on it. :wacko:

I know what you mean old boy. We Brits are more reserved and don't yelp and scream when someone blinks on stage. :huh:

To be honest I thought the crowd reaction was pathetic.

I thought that had more to do with half the crowd holding up digital cameras, cellphones

and what not. Last night I revisited the complete concert on HD DVD and it does affirm

my point: the main floor is just an ocean of little flickering LCDs. Hard to applaud when

your recording/taking photos. Regardless, London audiences are usually fickle anyway.

I don't think American concertgoers "listen" enough to what's being played and tend to scream and yell (and like at the Wilco show I went to last month, try to fucking carry on obnoxious conversations throughout) the shows they attend. I've always appreciated hearing some of the BBC recordings or even the RAH show, because the fans were ENJOYING rather than attempting to participate in the show.

Some of us from the US (i.e., me and the person I went with) were completely silent except in between numbers. I can't believe the number of people singing, hollering, and generally making it impossible to hear the actual songs on so many of the youtube videos, and it is sad to say that most of the accents are indeed American. Why go to listen to a band if you're just going to drown them out with your own cacophonous nonsense?!

I really think that this is a cultural thing here.

Agreed. I always enjoy concerts and events held in Europe more than those in North America. Call it the Entitlement Effect. Money is such a driving force in our culture

right now those who spend huge sums on entertainment and sports events feel they

are entitled to behave as they please. "Hey, I paid for the right to go to the nearest concert venue and sing-along at the top of my lungs all night if I damn well please".

And they do.

Some of us from the US (i.e., me and the person I went with) were completely silent except in between numbers. I can't believe the number of people singing, hollering, and generally making it impossible to hear the actual songs on so many of the youtube videos, and it is sad to say that most of the accents are indeed American. Why go to listen to a band if you're just going to drown them out with your own cacophonous nonsense?!

I have more issues with people who go to a concert and talk all the way through. The singing I understand despite the fact thit it can be annoying, sometimes very funny.

But why pay a fortune to have a conversation??????? :angry:

I have more issues with people who go to a concert and talk all the way through. The singing I understand despite the fact thit it can be annoying, sometimes very funny.

But why pay a fortune to have a conversation??????? :angry:

They have no attention spans. They're worse than the American Idol wannabees.

I thought that had more to do with half the crowd holding up digital cameras, cellphones

and what not. Last night I revisited the complete concert on HD DVD and it does affirm

my point: the main floor is just an ocean of little flickering LCDs. Hard to applaud when

your recording/taking photos. Regardless, London audiences are usually fickle anyway.

I'm not from London (thankfully), but was in that audience. What does that make me exactly? Never thought of myself as 'fickle'. :blink:

That's a good point. I do my cheering at the end of a song but during the song, I want to hear it. I like to sing along and I definitely groove but I don't think I interfere with people enjoying the show (believe me, they don't need to hear MY singing :wacko: ) I can't tell you how many show's I've seen where all you end up hearing is some dude next to you screaming stupidities the entire time :angry:

That's a good point. I do my cheering at the end of a song but during the song, I want to hear it. I like to sing along and I definitely groove but I don't think I interfere with people enjoying the show (believe me, they don't need to hear MY singing :wacko: ) I can't tell you how many show's I've seen where all you end up hearing is some dude next to you screaming stupidities the entire time :angry:

Oh and I want to hear you sing along with RP/AK at Wembley but won't be sitting next to you to do so. :(

Ever listened to 'Listen To This Eddie' where there's a guy constantly hollering for 'Heartbreaker' throughout the concert. It's eventually played.

On the Jules McTrainspotter recording of the O2 concert there's an American sounding female who shouts out 'No Quarter' about once (well maybe twice)...the next thing you hear is a certain Mr. JPJ on organ!!! Well predicted. Brought a smile to my face anyway.

Archived