Harvey Goldsmith's Blog

I don't think the crowd's reaction was cold...and I agree with Pilot, there were many, many ecstatic peolpe there. I was one of them.

In the beginning of the concert, at least.

Then I relaxed and was more...the usual me. :unsure::yay::huh::bagoverhead:

The guy at my right side looked at me and said...hey, you're so funny. :ph34r:

But I think I didn't spoil the concert for anyone. ;)

I was ecstatic the whole way through, I was taking pics too and still singing and shouting, I thought the crowd reaction was great !! So not sure why people think it wasn't .

I thought that had more to do with half the crowd holding up digital cameras, cellphones

and what not. Last night I revisited the complete concert on HD DVD and it does affirm

my point: the main floor is just an ocean of little flickering LCDs. Hard to applaud when

your recording/taking photos. Regardless, London audiences are usually fickle anyway.

london audiences......i was the only person there that was english i would say lol......well done to all our many friends from across the pond that made the effort.

Their are a ton of great artists you can see live in complete silence, with polite applause at the end of each song. Led Zeppelin, was not meant to be one of them.

I totally agree that the polite applause thing is definitely NOT what one feels like offering at the end of a Zep number! All manner of loud and raucous appreciation is much more the thing, just as it is at the end of a great Jimmy solo or spectacular Robert wail. But shouting continuously or singing along (aaarghhhh) definitely makes it too hard to hear the actual music, which is what some people are there for (especially at this show, a first for a lot of us, though hopefully not the last!). It would've been nice to see more people on the floor dancing, though--I sure as hell would've been if I'd been lucky enough to have had standing tix!

I don't have a wonderful story to post about how I bought a passcode and sold a ticket to a Zepfan on here

Well, I do, and knowing that another hardcore Zep fan managed to get into the gig made it an even better experience for me. I'm afraid Harvey really messed this up, despite best intentions. It is possible to make the arrangements a lot tighter, just look at the way Glastonbury is set up nowadays. However...I'm not complaining - by not playing by the rules I got to see one of the best gigs of my life. OK, it cost me a pretty penny for the passcode, and (even worse) a couple of months of stomach-churning anxiety, but I had to get into this gig by any means necessary.

I personally think the crowd reaction was OK. I can show my appreciation without having to make a load of noise during a song! My feeling is that there's no doubt a lot of people got into the gig who were not as into the band as most of the members of the board here, but suggestions about only selling to fan club members etc. is a non-starter, touts can usually find a way around these obstacles. The real problem here was the world's biggest and best rock band playing a venue they could have sold out 100 times over for just one night! Hey, hey, what can you do?

As an aside, if anyone was reading the HG blog a few months ago, anyone know what became of Harveyfan? To those of you not familiar, he was a poster who endlessly baited people (like me) who bought tickets without playing by the rules, claiming we would all be denied entry. I wonder what Harveyfan does with his time now?

Last night I revisited the complete concert on HD DVD and it does affirm

my point: the main floor is just an ocean of little flickering LCDs.

Er, the complete concert on HD DVD? Please tell me more!

I did see a DVD in Tokyo, but I think it was just a compilation of all the youtube stuff.

Are you referring to the O2 gig?

Regardless, London audiences are usually fickle anyway.

We're probably spoilt. I'm a Londoner born and bred; you just get used to having everything come to you, rock bands, art exhibitions, plays, whatever.

Well, I do, and knowing that another hardcore Zep fan managed to get into the gig made it an even better experience for me. I'm afraid Harvey really messed this up, despite best intentions. It is possible to make the arrangements a lot tighter, just look at the way Glastonbury is set up nowadays. However...I'm not complaining - by not playing by the rules I got to see one of the best gigs of my life. OK, it cost me a pretty penny for the passcode, and (even worse) a couple of months of stomach-churning anxiety, but I had to get into this gig by any means necessary.

I understand about stomach churning as when I met up with a board member here to get my ticket I spent 3 hrs in the queue with mine churning thinking I just hope this is going to be alright !! will it be ok for me to have the ticket etc etc !! only when it was on my wrist I was able to feel at ease !! I am still trying to feel that high i had that weekend, but alas I can't !!!

I am still trying to feel that high i had that weekend, but alas I can't !!!

Don't worry Leddy, life is made up of highs and lows. If we tried maintaining that high permanently, we'd just burn out after a couple of months!

Unfortunately, you'll probably spend the rest of your life looking for a gig that good, and won't find it.

You've seen the best, now check the rest. I'm sure there will be other great gigs in the future though!

That's the problem with Led Zeppelin - once you've had a taste, you could always do with just a little more!

Don't worry Leddy, life is made up of highs and lows. If we tried maintaining that high permanently, we'd just burn out after a couple of months!

Unfortunately, you'll probably spend the rest of your life looking for a gig that good, and won't find it.

You've seen the best, now check the rest. I'm sure there will be other great gigs in the future though!

That's the problem with Led Zeppelin - once you've had a taste, you could always do with just a little more!

Yes indeed...hold that space as you never know we might just get the chance of a little more Zep :)

I also understand that you said that for you knebworth was better because its your first, I saw Deep purple 8 times or so and it was the first time that was the best for me, even though in reality the whole day was one of misery, rain being cold etc, but that first time they stepped on stge was a memory that will last forever kicking into highway Star !! Its only beaten By of course the life changing o2 gig !! which as you know was awsome !!

How as your trip abroad ??

i think it's great that they tried to stop the touts, however they should have said beforehand what they were going to do, so that the touts wouldn't have applied in the first place. And/or have some mechanism for people who get more tickets than they want to get rid of them AT NO MORE THAN FACE VALUE, similar to what the fan-to-fan ticket exchanges are trying to do

I hate touts, but equally, for the foo fighters' recent tour, i bought a ticket for saturday at the o2, quickly realised i was actually meant to be seeing bill bailey in nottingham on that date, so bought a sunday ticket. Then, a bit later, they announced a date in nottingham (my home town) - much more convenient than london!

I actually didn't know about the ticket exchanges at the time. I also would want to be able to charge the entire cost of getting the tickets (i.e. including the transaction fee, not just the face value, so that i wasn't losing any money over it)

I know, i felt sick when i woke up the morning after the gig to chris moyles talking about how he went but didnt know any of the songs.

He said that? A radio presenter who doesn't know Stairway, Whole Lotta Love and Kashmir????? :o

I thought that had more to do with half the crowd holding up digital cameras, cellphones

and what not. Last night I revisited the complete concert on HD DVD and it does affirm

my point: the main floor is just an ocean of little flickering LCDs. Hard to applaud when

your recording/taking photos. Regardless, London audiences are usually fickle anyway.

Er, the complete concert on HD DVD? Please tell me more!

Are you referring to the O2 gig?

We're probably spoilt. I'm a Londoner born and bred; you just get used to having everything come to you, rock bands, art exhibitions, plays, whatever.

Yes, the complete 02 gig. I will PM you, Lee.

You've hit the nail on the head concerning the London scene and the point I made.

I totally agree that the polite applause thing is definitely NOT what one feels like offering at the end of a Zep number! All manner of loud and raucous appreciation is much more the thing, just as it is at the end of a great Jimmy solo or spectacular Robert wail. But shouting continuously or singing along (aaarghhhh) definitely makes it too hard to hear the actual music, which is what some people are there for (especially at this show, a first for a lot of us, though hopefully not the last!). It would've been nice to see more people on the floor dancing, though--I sure as hell would've been if I'd been lucky enough to have had standing tix!

I had a standing ticket, and it was pretty densely packed where I was, although I heard there were places on the floor with gaps between people. The absence of personal space made it very difficult for me to play air guitar along with Jimmy. :D Probably just as well.

I really regret not sneaking in a camera. I figured I would be the one guy that gets caught and thrown out, but everyone around me had there cellphones and cameras out.

I played by the rules and waited till after the final draw to become more and more desparate and finally buy a passcode on Ebay and then let it out on this forum that I would sell my extra ticket for face value which I did to a huge fan who knew the words to every song and was as emotional as I was. A guy in the immigrations line with me flew over a great expense with no ticket just to try. I would have done the same. I hate scalpers and all they stand for but for this event many people were desparate fans willing to pay whatever while many many seats were full of so called vips and celebs and record industry people who could care less about the music., just want to be where something monumental is taking place. That was what was wrong with this whole set-up. It wasn't truly about the fans it was about who you knew and what job you had and how tickets were handed out to business execs who called around to see if anyone was interested while thousands of true fans with zep license plates and houses full of memorabilia were left to fend for themselves. That arena should have been overflowing with ecstatic emotional people watching their dream come true instead of many who wandered in and out of their seats throughout the show and 4 in front of me left and never even returned after only 3 songs. It made me sick to think of all the fans who wanted to be there. For me though it was a night of pure magic and I am glad I took the chance, spent the money and was lucky enough to be on the inside.

Yes, in spite of all the talk about getting tickets into the hands of true fans, a large number of tickets were allotted for people with connections and $$. I'll admit I was one of those scoundrels who bought a passcode immediately after the 1st ballot ended, and I despise scalpers as much as anybody, but my desire to see this show trumped my loathing for ticket scalping. When I went to the Ticketmaster link, there were two choices: Reserved seats in the highest levels and Standing on the floor (I chose Standing). The entire mid-level section wasn't even offered as a choice, and I think that's where all the VIP's were. I think it's great that some of the other rock royalty were there to see the show, but I suspect some of the other people in those sections were there because it was the hip place to be that night. So, it looks like Harvey held back a tremendous quantity of tickets instead of offering them to the fans that he claimed to be supporting.

Yes, in spite of all the talk about getting tickets into the hands of true fans, a large number of tickets were allotted for people with connections and $$. I'll admit I was one of those scoundrels who bought a passcode immediately after the 1st ballot ended, and I despise scalpers as much as anybody, but my desire to see this show trumped my loathing for ticket scalping. When I went to the Ticketmaster link, there were two choices: Reserved seats in the highest levels and Standing on the floor (I chose Standing). The entire mid-level section wasn't even offered as a choice, and I think that's where all the VIP's were. I think it's great that some of the other rock royalty were there to see the show, but I suspect some of the other people in those sections were there because it was the hip place to be that night. So, it looks like Harvey held back a tremendous quantity of tickets instead of offering them to the fans that he claimed to be supporting.

I agree with you. I had to buy a code, and I had not, I would have missed the show. I don't think that doing what's "right", IE, accept that I wasn't picked in the lottery, would have compensated for missing the show. Especially if it meant letting a greedy non-fan attend the show instead of me.

Archived