Suggestions for expanding my music taste?

hentai

I'll recommend sources rather than specific artists....

www.last.fm/

Type in the artists you dig and the player will play similar sounding stuff. Vary your tastes by using a 'genre' (punk, classical, reggae) station. Thats one painless way to do it.

I'd check out live recording torrent sites to see what artists have huge followings/ likely worthy of getting into. Another effect of live shows is that good bands tend to be good live bands and 'meh' bands tend to blow live.

Other message boards. Not even ones that specialize in music. You'll probably get samey-recommendations from a zep site.

Even if you do get recommendations of bands you'd dig.....your first song might not 'click' and you might blow 'em off as shit the first time over. This happened to me with

Judas Priest

(Turbo Lover....wtf)

Mahavishnu Orchestra

(a 20minute tune not on Birds of Fire)

Rick Derringer

(whatever it was, it wasnt Rock and Roll Hoochie Koo)

Todd Rundgren

(some pop 80s tune, not something from Utopia)

Iced Earth

(something with their first singer who blew)

Yes

(topographic oceans!)

Deep Purple

(wring that neck....which is fine...but it aint the classic DP thats forfuckinsure)

as opposed to bands I got lucky with, that could have gone horribly wrong

Clash Straight to Hell

(holyshit, this sounds prog, important and notpunkl!)

Iron Maiden Remember Tomorrow

(killer tune, luckily wasnt Run to the hills or the less heavy maiden stuff)

Rasputina Leechwife

(yeeah! amplified cellos...like gothic chamber metal booyah!!!)

Richard Thompson 1952 Vincent Black Lightning

(insane guitarwork..not typical of his awesome, yet understated repetiore)

Cream Live Cream 2 Tales of Brave Ulysees

(if it had been 'strange brew' <--considered a classic! or 'wrapping paper'...forggetabouit)

well...i guess I did recommend artists then. shit happens.

As for 'suggestions for expanding my music taste' the only sources I use are a few key members here (BigBadZep, Kith Kannan, Jahfin, Joelmon are the big un's.) I pay attention to what they post about and check it out.

I used to use the Radiohead forum at greenplastic.com but most everyone there was an insufferable indie elitist who seemed to spend all day and night just digging for bands that no one else had ever heard of, as though knowing about bands that no one else did made them better than you. What a weird sub-culture the underground has developed.

I'm not sure how to interpret your post, particularly the first paragraph. Are you saying everybody other than the three mentioned are insufferable indie elitist's?

For what it's worth . Whenever I get into a music RUT. I find going to see live music to be the best fix. And check out everything. Hit the nearest live venue

For what it's worth . Whenever I get into a music RUT. I find going to see live music to be the best fix. And check out everything. Hit the nearest live venue :D

I'm not sure how to interpret your post, particularly the first paragraph. Are you saying everybody other than the three mentioned are insufferable indie elitist's?

I was speaking the people who run another forum I used to visit. The people I named are on this site.

Try listening to jazz. Seriously, put the rock music down for awhile and really broaden your horizons.

Start with some classic 70's fusion: Mahavishnu Orchestra "Inner Mounting Flame" or "Birds of Fire"......people talk about the worlds "greatest guitar player" here. You really want to hear one? Listen to John McLaughlin who formed this band. Also, try listening to another great fusion band called Return To Forever and an album of theirs "Romantic Warrior". This album borders on prog in places, jazz in others.........tremendous record.

After you get through these, then you might discover acoustic jazz. Or you might just be happy with fusion music. Either way, the musicianship here is on a completely different level than what you're used to hearing.

Have fun.

Regards;

Other than Zep I'm not sure what your other musical tastes are but some of my favorites include:

Patty Hurst Shifter

The Yayhoos

Drive-By Truckers

Ryan Adams and the Cardinals

Wilco

Tim Easton

Tift Merritt

Tres Chicas

Terry Anderson and the Olympic Ass Kickin' Team

Wanna give this a shot? It's all kinds of rock, everything varying from garage rock to straight up thrashing lo-fi, a wee bit of electronica, and Christmas music. LOTS of bluesy stuff in here, too.

christmasswapcover07copvl5.jpg

http://www.mediafire.com/?e2x9g471dq9

I made it as a compilation for another board. All the songs came off of myspace or similar -- and if you like an artist, let me know and I can point you in a direction to find them.

XTC

here is a clip of the wonderful Making Plans for Nigel !! just love that bass line !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQAFVhz1bCY

XTC! This board is like a trip down memory lane for me. My husband and I used to go hear them play in the late 70's - early 80's - and we'd dance! Our favorite was "Generals and Majors". During that same era, another band that we liked even better than XTC was the "The English Beat" - faster and better music for dancing. Thanks for the clip.

XTC! This board is like a trip down memory lane for me. My husband and I used to go hear them play in the late 70's - early 80's - and we'd dance! Our favorite was "Generals and Majors". During that same era, another band that we liked even better than XTC was the "The English Beat" - faster and better music for dancing. Thanks for the clip.

MSG...you know your stuff. . B)

You just HAVE TO listen to psychedelic music and "expand your mind" a little!!!

Jefferson Airplane, Grateful Dead, early Pink Floyd, Plan 9, pandoras, Doors, Roky Erickson, Big Brother & the Holding Co., etc. And from today, I suggest: Southern Comfort Blues Band, Black Stripe, Pandoras, Midnight Movies, Duke Spirit (U..), etc.

He who dares to seek, finds!

Rob

Wow you were lucky to have seen them as they haven't done a gig since the early 80's due to Andy Partridge having stage fright and up too about 2005 they only ever did a few TV show spots !! but no gigs, just studio band which is a shame as would love to see them !!

Did you ever hear any of XTC's alter ego band The Dukes of Stratosphere, a kinda tribute band of Floyd and Beatles type stuff that they did in between recording XTC stuff ???

I got to see the Penguin Cafe Orchestra a couple of days after the Zeppelin concert. It was an anniversary concert marking the death of Simon Jeffes. It took place in the Union Chapel in Islington, London. It was very intimate and an incredibly moving evening - another fantastic experience that I thought I'd never ever witness.

Wow you were lucky to have seen them as they haven't done a gig since the early 80's due to Andy Partridge having stage fright and up too about 2005 they only ever did a few TV show spots !! but no gigs, just studio band which is a shame as would love to see them !!

Did you ever hear any of XTC's alter ego band The Dukes of Stratosphere, a kinda tribute band of Floyd and Beatles type stuff that they did in between recording XTC stuff ???

Yes, we were very lucky to have been able to get to those XTC concerts during the late 70's-80's. We were even more fortunate in that, in addition to seeing those sorts of bands in LA and NYC, we were able to get to London for some shows! London was very exciting then and, being young and foolish, we felt like we were "hot stuff" being over there during that time. :lol:

I'm not familiar with "The Dukes of Stratosphere" but I'll ask my husband. He was much more into the music and has a better memory for the bands.

I got to see the Penguin Cafe Orchestra a couple of days after the Zeppelin concert. It was an anniversary concert marking the death of Simon Jeffes. It took place in the Union Chapel in Islington, London. It was very intimate and an incredibly moving evening - another fantastic experience that I thought I'd never ever witness.

Islington is where we used to go to a punk rock club. I remember the first time we went to London, we stayed in Earls Court and the first night there, we looked at a map and thought that it was just walk to Islington! :lol:

Archived