fool in the rain

percy07

• 3 years later...

was it ever played live? it wouldve been awesome to see and hear bonham play that awesome beat live.the things bonham did on drums is still very impressive and influential to this day.

It has that 1978 Argentinian latin feel about it in the middle section. I think they said it was inspired by the World Cup in Argentina that summer, there are a few great songs in theor cannon that they either didn't play live or very few times which is/was a shame, this being one of them. As fun as "Hot Dog" is, bit strange playing it live when they could have done "Fool", but hey there you go, I never understood them doing "Sick Again over something like "The Wanton Song" live, although it was played live in 75 but not after that if memory serves me right.

Bonhams drumming is top draw on "Fool"

Like how Robert had to use a lyric sheet. He even joked about it on stage. Pretty good vid above. I think Jimmy didn't really like much of the last Album. But I still don't know why Zeppelin didn't play a song like I'm Gonna Crawl or Fool in the Rain. I think they were planning on playing Carouselumbra and Wearing and Tearing(which obviously wasn't on ITTOD but was recorded around that time) in the 80 US tour.

It has that 1978 Argentinian latin feel about it in the middle section. I think they said it was inspired by the World Cup in Argentina that summer, there are a few great songs in theor cannon that they either didn't play live or very few times which is/was a shame, this being one of them. As fun as "Hot Dog" is, bit strange playing it live when they could have done "Fool", but hey there you go, I never understood them doing "Sick Again over something like "The Wanton Song" live, although it was played live in 75 but not after that if memory serves me right.

Bonhams drumming is top draw on "Fool"

'The Wanton Song' was played only a handful of times in '75. They dropped it from the setlist for some unknown list. I don't understand why they only used the intro to 'The Rover' in '77, would have been awesome if they had played the whole song instead of just the intro then Sick Again.

Like how Robert had to use a lyric sheet. He even joked about it on stage. Pretty good vid above. I think Jimmy didn't really like much of the last Album. But I still don't know why Zeppelin didn't play a song like I'm Gonna Crawl or Fool in the Rain. I think they were planning on playing Carouselumbra and Wearing and Tearing(which obviously wasn't on ITTOD but was recorded around that time) in the 80 US tour.

They did not play this titles during the shows I have seen in Dortmund,Cologne,Berlin.I do not play the last album.I think they should have added "Wearing" to it.

They did not play this titles during the shows I have seen in Dortmund,Cologne,Berlin.I do not play the last album.I think they should have added "Wearing" to it.

I know they didn't. But I've read over and over that they were planning on playing them. We'll never really know now since John Bonham died.

It is not that heavy and therefore he likes it more than others .That´s what Robert told me before his first Solo Album was brought out.

Robert told you... please elaborate... how did you end up talking to Robert?

Live version of fool in the rain. Wow, I always thought this would be a great song to revisit

wow!.....that was quite cool B)

'The Wanton Song' was played only a handful of times in '75.

this is why i've been asking for the chicago board to be released next.....it'll get there.....we got "the crunge" at least.....not much left after levee and wanton(and a nice 75 HMMT B) )

brussels might be better but nothing of the early european section has come out yet......just the american tour and earls court (to some extent)

• 5 years later...

It's not that Jimmy didn't lIke ITTOD, His heroine problem put him in a bad place to record an album. JPJ wrote most of the music to compensate for Jimmy not being well. JPJ is an astounding musician and doesn't receive the recognition he deserves. How many bands can sideline their guitarist and still make a classic, timeless masterpiece? Think about it...

1 hour ago, LededRock said:

It's not that Jimmy didn't lIke ITTOD, His heroine problem put him in a bad place to record an album. JPJ wrote most of the music to compensate for Jimmy not being well. JPJ is an astounding musician and doesn't receive the recognition he deserves. How many bands can sideline their guitarist and still make a classic, timeless masterpiece? Think about it...

Page was far from "sidelined" on ITTOD. Sure, the bulk of the compositions on this record was Jones n Plant, but all of the guitar playing was from really good to amazing. I mean, is there any 'lousy' guitar playing on that album I'm not aware of or something? If so, I haven't noticed it yet. Its funny, people bitch and moan about how Page never gave JPJ the credit he deserved, but on the album where Jones basically writes and is credited for everything, people seem to begrudge Page for allowing such a thing to happen, and then blame it on his heroin habit? If Page was "not well" during the recording of ITTOD, then deserves a fucking medal for turning in the performances he did. And, Fool in the Rain contains one Page's finest guitar solo's ever, kills me very time....

Its seems that ITTOD has a potentially polarizing effect on Zep Fans. Its usually all or nothing , love it , hate it. I love the album . Although, it took some time to grow on me.

And yes Jimmy was a sick man when the record was being made and by all accounts I've read his attendance to the session was sporadic. His "fingerprint " is clearly not as evident as it was on Presence. ITTOD is not a guitar driven album and Jimmy plays his parts well. The Production is great too. I've always wondered why JPJ and Robert never worked on another album together.

Perhaps if Jimmy were not so deep in the throes of a VERY SERIOUS heroin addiction the album would have sounded different but H. is not like a pain pill habit and Im certain the quality of the junk he was using was top grade. It ravaged him. So much so that even after he kicked it took years for him to be able to play the old Zep songs with any conviction. Tragic.

The irony is that Jimmy thought he would be more creative but it was just the opposite. Even post Zep,  Robert put out some wildly inventive and creative stuff and Jimmy gave us Radio Active. Even Clarksdale sounds like a Robert solo album with Jimmy playing guitar. It's incredibly sad what it took from him. IMO the last truly inventive material Jimmy did was from Presence.

Back to point, the drum work on ITTOD was some of Bonzo's finest and for me it's a big part of why I love the album some much. My first impression of Fool was " Pop Song ?, WTF ? " but it's a pretty complex composition and executed perfectly. South Bound Suarez is another show case for Bonzo, the song itself is OK but the drumming is incredible. When I play the album I always give the drums a touch more EQ.

Archived