Rock Magic

Otto Masson

Otto! Damn good to see you my friend! Damn good to see you! Wish I'd known you were planning this as I've got the entire interview in a Word doc. Might've saved you some time with the scanning! However it does look cooler with the actual pages. B)

Won't be on much longer as I haven't been to bed yet. Yeah, been up all night. Love you my friend! :wave:

Yep folks, - I've scanned the entire famed article by William Burroughs from Crawdaddy. Enjoy!

Otto, thanks for taking the time to scan and post.

jpwb.jpg

From the time Burroughs’ article was published it has been my favorite LZ-era interview with Jimmy Page. My husband and I have long been fans of the beats – both their writing and their lifestyle (although no William Tell stunts!). When my husband and I first met (probably two or three years after that article was first published), we talked, among other things, about music, travel, and books. I remember that we talked about that article, not just about what was discussed during the interview, but also about Burroughs’ reactions to the Zep concert he attended. Years later, after our self-imposed exile abroad and our Beat-inspired “sheltering sky” rambles through Morocco and points east, my husband and I briefly met Burroughs, on a couple of occasions, at his book readings/receptions. The first time we walked in, my husband looked at me and whispered, “You’re not going to ask him about Jimmy Page, are you?” I did not. I told my husband that Burroughs would like him better than me so he ended up asking a couple of questions about the books and talked a bit about Tangiers. But, I have often wondered (and if I had the nerve I would have asked) if Mr. Page and Mr. Burroughs ever crossed paths again, met under other circumstances, shared a meal together, or otherwise kept in contact?

Thanks for all your responses! :)

Damn, you should have asked him, MSG! I don't think they met again though. That interview certainly was memorable for Jimmy, because I remember him referring to it in some later interview. I'll post a reference if I find the passage. B)

Thanks for all your responses! :)

Damn, you should have asked him, MSG! I don't think they met again though. That interview certainly was memorable for Jimmy, because I remember him referring to it in some later interview. I'll post a reference if I find the passage. B)

Thank you for posting it!

I know. Believe me, I regret it now but, during those readings/ receptions, it didn't seem appropriate. Burroughs was quite old and seemed frail and he was there to discuss his books. Honestly, we were there to hear Burroughs and we didn't want to appear as if we were two overzealous Zep fans who showed up solely for the purpose of asking about his affiliation with Mr. Page. In hindsight, though, I realize that I should have asked.

I hate to send you scurrying for more Zep material, but if you can find the reference for the passage where Jimmy refers to that meeting, I'd love to see it.

Thanks again.

Great stuff, thanks everyone. I've read the interview before but never saw the picturs, what a treat.

It's always seemed to me that Burroughs is one of the few people who understood what was going on with Zeppelin, and at the concerts.

MSG, I'm jealous of your travels and experiences! :)

Great stuff, thanks everyone. I've read the interview before but never saw the picturs, what a treat.

It's always seemed to me that Burroughs is one of the few people who understood what was going on with Zeppelin, and at the concerts.

MSG, I'm jealous of your travels and experiences! :)

Please, no need to be jealous. As as child I made a conscious choice not to live a life of mediocrity. I am fortunate to have found a soulmate who shares my passion for the unconventional. :beer:

Please - can anyone tell me how to open the images so that I can read the text? Even when I click at the top to "view full size", it's still too small for me to read. :( The only time I can read it is in the first few seconds when the page opens, then it all shrinks again.

Or do I just need to buy a magnifying glass? :blink:

Burroughs relation of Zep to "ethnic trance" music is a very good point. While more openly experimental bands like Can & Talking Heads were more obvious in there influence Zep(espeically live) were I'd say the conventional rock band who tapped into it most strongly.

Thanks again, everyone! :beer:

Please - can anyone tell me how to open the images so that I can read the text? Even when I click at the top to "view full size", it's still too small for me to read. :( The only time I can read it is in the first few seconds when the page opens, then it all shrinks again.

Or do I just need to buy a magnifying glass? :blink:

You simply click the image again. May have to do it twice. B)

• 1 year later...

Has anyone else here ever wondered about the meeting of these two gents, in that maybe the conversation might have included heroin?

As most everyone knows, William Burroughs was a lifelong addict, and Jimmy seemed to get wrapped up in the junk/smack/scag/horse/H/dirt/brown sugar/whatever you want to call it after the 1975 tour, when this interview took place. I always wondered if there was any (unfortunate) connection.

Has anyone else here ever wondered about the meeting of these two gents, in that maybe the conversation might have included heroin?

As most everyone knows, William Burroughs was a lifelong addict, and Jimmy seemed to get wrapped up in the junk/smack/scag/horse/H/dirt/brown sugar/whatever you want to call it after the 1975 tour, when this interview took place. I always wondered if there was any (unfortunate) connection.

...don't about answer to your question...but here is what Page said in Guitar World 1986...

"I remember that actually; that was a great meeting William Burroughs."

Archived